AjdeNate!
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM
:bounce:

Chunchun
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:31 AM
:(

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Stosur was 5-5 40-0 - lost that game and that was the end.

crazillo
Stosur still had a great and awesome week here IMO.

WD Patty, but please lose early in Melbourne, OK?

GoSandrine
Sounds like it was a sensational final.

Congrats Patty :kiss: :hearts: :D

Sammy :hug:

Harju.
:banana: Viva Patty.

great way to start the season. :worship:

xcrtbckhnd
Great tournament for both ladies!!! Really nice to see Patty play so well and win a tournament. Feels like it's been a long time since she last won one. Great start to 2005!

RenaSlam.
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Bad luck for Sam...Congrats Patty :(

maxomax
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Good tournament for Stosur even with this lost... good luck for your season! And don't worrie yuo are still young and will win Gold Coast a day!

Philip
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Patty!!! :D

hard for sam, must have been very emotional for her!

good luck patty in melbourne and sydney! :D

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Still, it was a great tournament from Sam, I'm so proud of her...she just couldn't handle nerves probably in the 3rd, which is normal....hopefully she'll have a great year... :kiss:

KingA
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Although I dun like Patty coz' she has that bitchy attitude.... but really have to give full credits to her in the second last game when Sammy leads 40-0 at 5-5, she scrambles every single hard hitting balls back by Sammy, and a few brilliant passing shots when Sammy stands at the net....

Good Match!!! It's unlucky for Sammy coz' so close for her to grab her very first title, and a title in her hometown!!!

Happy Guy
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:39 AM
OMG~~ Congratulations Patty! :)

TS
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Awww Sammy :sad: So close....

Oh well, Patty played some awesome points to break for a 6-5 lead in that second set. From what I saw (most of the 3rd set) this was a pretty high standard match...lots of entertaining rallies :)

Well played both girls and congrats Patty!

BK4ever
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:43 AM
sammy :sad:

martirogi
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:44 AM
she needs this seeing as she has semi points to defend at melbourne

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:47 AM
god it looked like it was going to be a horrible day. patty was bulldozed in the first set by a flawless stosur and then was mishitting every ball at the start of the second and had to fight so hard just to save her serve early in the second. patty started getting control of her game though and stosur was getting visibly tight hitting a lot more errors.

the third set was great. both players really brought their games. patty had the majority of chances throughout but it stayed on serve until stosur led 40-0 on her serve at 5-5 - from there patty played one of the best game you will ever see - she just got so much back and her backhand was on fire with the pass. a very tight game in the last one but patty held her nerve.

for me this match answered the question of who has the best dropshot in the women's game. patty hit about 10 shots that looked like sliced lobs of her rackets but almost every time fell just clear of the net and unreachable or unplayable.

seriously if patty can produce this form on clay this year she is really going to give anyone a hard time.

patty was also very nice to sam at the net - she said a lot of friendly looking words.

great match from both girls.

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:51 AM
well it's good because it means a decent performance at Sydney and the Aus Open will ensure her ranking will not drop much. a quarter-final and a fourth round and she'll set herself up well for the rest of the year.

there was something different about patty today. there were occasions where she really could have blown up (sam too) but she seemed to block it and just focused herself.

gold coast was where all bad stuff started in 99 so let's just hope this is symbolic for a lot of positives in her future (i won't hold me breath though)

LeRoy.
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Congrats Patty :)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Patty :D I'm sooooooooo happy :D

Lemonskin.
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Awwww :(

But good on Sammy for her wonderful week :D

LefandePatty
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Congratulations Patty :worship: :bounce: :hearts: :D

LindsayRulez
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:36 AM
ooooooooo I can't wait to see this tomorrow morning!

Vut
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:37 AM
:woohoo: Patty!

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Woohoo. Good stuff Patty. :yeah:

Jeleno Benesovo
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Well done Patty :banana: :bounce:

AUSBOY
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:30 AM
HAVE THOSE THAT WATCHED IT FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE LINESMEN CALL AT BREAK POINT IN THE 3RD SET???

Stosur hit an unreturnable shot right on the line that Patty just scrambled a racquet head to but it deflected str8 into the crowd but the linesman called out then str8 away went correction! It was break point for Stosur at 2-1 for Stosur. Had the linesmen not fucked up Stosur would have been 3-1 and probably would have taken the final!

It really was her match, see steamrolled Schnyder in the first set losing a total of 8 points, she was even playing better than Molik, she made like 2 errors and so many great winners and aces! She served 3 in a row at one stage.

In the end, once Stosur was up 40-0 at 5-5 her lack of experience showed, she made two shocking decisions mid rally, she fought hard but just couldnt hang on. Full credit to Patty, she played smart at the end, at one stage she looked like she was gonna lose 6-1 6-0 after the first set!

Hayato
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:32 AM
it was actually Patty's match because she won it ;) and also she was more consistant than Samantha.

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:39 AM
HAVE THOSE THAT WATCHED IT FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE LINESMEN CALL AT BREAK POINT IN THE 3RD SET???

Stosur hit an unreturnable shot right on the line that Patty just scrambled a racquet head to but it deflected str8 into the crowd but the linesman called out then str8 away went correction! It was break point for Stosur at 2-1 for Stosur. Had the linesmen not fucked up Stosur would have been 3-1 and probably would have taken the final!

it was at 5-3 in the second set not 2-1 in the final. it was an unfortunate but an honest mistake. in the previous game patty had set point and hit a winner cross court - sam looked at the linesperson and they called it out very very late. i think it was quite even in terms of bad line calls.

*roddicksinme*
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Patty congrats :worship:

PointBlank
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Sammy :sad:

Prizeidiot
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I thought that the match was more on Sam's racket... she made a lot of the running, hit a lot of big forehands, but Patty just kept running them down

Daniel
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Patty, well doneeeeeeeeeeeee :aparty: :bounce:

Purple_Llama
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:14 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship: Congrats Patty!

Gowza
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM
patty hit some magical drop shots. same wasnt getting the depth on her groundies in the last couple of sets and the backhand wasnt all that good, something she could work on, and her volleys were up and down, either great or terrible.

patty played really well and ran basically everything down (many shots that would have been winners against most other players).

and yeah i remember the call on the baseline which would have given sam the break, and like switz said there was a call that went sams way in the 3rd set so i also thought it was quite even.

CCCP1
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Well done Patty what will her ranking be now

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on winning another title!

Beat
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM
wow. patty :yeah. just don't go and lose in the first round at the AO now, okay? ;)

must have been a great week for samantha as well, she beat good players :)

Geoffry
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM
congrats Patty :bigclap: your 9th title in total and first since 2002 :D

Monica_Rules
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Patty:) Hope this is a start of a great season for her

Sammm
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Sam :cross:

DelMonte
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Source: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Dejected-Stosur-ripped-offs/2005/01/08/1104832351740.html

Dejected Stosur 'ripped off'
January 8, 2005 - 7:34PM

Samantha Stosur was left fuming over a crucial over-ruling by a linesman in the second set of a drama-charged final at the Uncle Tobys Hardcourt Championships on the Gold Coast.

The over-ruling, made by a baseline judge on a break point that would have put games back on serve late in the set, gave second seed Patty Schnyder the momentum shift she needed.

Leading the set 5-3 but trailing 30-40, Schnyder looked like she had lost her serve when Stosur scorched a bullet-like forehand that appeared to clip the baseline.

The linesman in question quickly ruled the ball landed out but immediately over-ruled himself, forcing chair umpire Scott Ray to order the point to be replayed.

Schnyder went on to win the game and the set before breaking her opponent in the 11th game of the decider to claim her ninth career title with the 1-6 6-3 7-5 triumph.

A disappointed Stosur believed the result could have been different if the point was allowed to stand.

"Yeah I probably got ripped there. It probably should have been 5-4 instead of 6-3 but you can't do anything about it," she said.

A massive home crowd was on hand to watch the match as Stosur chased her first career title.

The powerful 20-year-old got off to a flying start, taking just 17 minutes to steamroll Schnyder in the first set but failed to capitalise on her solid start.

Schnyder admitted she was lucky to escape with the second set but didn't feel it would have changed the outcome.

The world No.14 used a viciously spinning drop-shot to get back into the match when it seemed Stosur was coasting towards her maiden WTA Tour title.

"It's an instinct thing and it surprised her sometimes," she said.

"It hurts. If you have a long rally and it ends in a drop shot it really hurts."

Both players now head to Sydney for next week's Medibank International as they continue their build-up to the Australian Open.

"She's playing really, really good in Australia but so far she hasn't played good tennis in the States or in Europe," Schnyder said of Stosur.

"She's definitely a very good player and she has some unbelievable weapons."

The 20-year-old Stosur reached the second round of last year's Australian Open and will move into the top 60 for the first time in her short career when the latest rankings are released next week.

Stosur said she was aiming to be in the top 30 by the end of the year.

"I like to be in the 30s," she said.

"When you climb up the rankings it gets harder and harder so that's the goal at the moment.

"I'll just keep improving and hopefully it'll all fall into place."

2005 AAP

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
that article was such sensationalism.

"Yeah I probably got ripped there. It probably should have been 5-4 instead of 6-3 but you can't do anything about it," she said.

that's fuming??

as i said patty won the set in the previous game but she got even more ripped off with a call and didn't get another chance to win the point.

anyway it's over now.

DelMonte
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:06 PM
that article was such sensationalism.

that's fuming??

as i said patty won the set in the previous game but she got even more ripped off with a call and didn't get another chance to win the point.

anyway it's over now.

yes, that's why i didn't start a new thread to post it because i thought they took this one quote out of context to make a catching headline. still, other quote from both players are worthwhile.

vogus
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM
sounds like it was a classic Patty performance, with her scrambling and junking a bigger hitter off rhythm.

For all the matches Patty has screwed herself with those drop shots, it's about time they actually paid her some benefits.

Patty was brutal on her own service games after she threw away the first set, and that's why she won. A player who can hold serve 10,11,12 straight times in women's tennis, is going to win the match.

switz
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:01 PM
sounds like it was a classic Patty performance, with her scrambling and junking a bigger hitter off rhythm.

For all the matches Patty has screwed herself with those drop shots, it's about time they actually paid her some benefits.

Patty was brutal on her own service games after she threw away the first set, and that's why she won. A player who can hold serve 10,11,12 straight times in women's tennis, is going to win the match.

vogus it was looking horrible for a while. stosur was playing out of her skin until a few games into the 2nd and as you said patty finally started to work out where she was going and started moving much better. her backhand was a trainwreck early but in the end she produced many crosscourt winners with it from nowhere. she just scrambled amazingly and hit the right shot almost every time. i said it earlier but this type of play on clay would have been almost unbeatable IMO.

i know we are not hofmann fans but i have to say she seems happier than i have seen her since before things got weird.

vogus
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
vogus it was looking horrible for a while. stosur was playing out of her skin until a few games into the 2nd and as you said patty finally started to work out where she was going and started moving much better. her backhand was a trainwreck early but in the end she produced many crosscourt winners with it from nowhere. she just scrambled amazingly and hit the right shot almost every time. i said it earlier but this type of play on clay would have been almost unbeatable IMO.

i know we are not hofmann fans but i have to say she seems happier than i have seen her since before things got weird.

i'm looking forward to getting this match on video. It may have actually worked in Patty's favor to lose the first set so quickly, as once things stopped coming so easily for Stosur, that made her a bit more tight. Patty's backhand tends to be rather iffy against these types of big hitting players but sometimes she will just have a good day with the backhand and hit quite a few winners with it. If you throw out the 15-minute first set then what you have is a stubborn but quite convincing win - Stosur definitely played better than expected though.

Maybe Hofmann is becoming less of a psycho, although i wouldn't count on it. In this case, you saw the match and i didn't.

Bezz
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Excellent win by patty, :bounce: , she is a great player to watch live, she has all the shots :worship: