PDA

View Full Version : Schnyder To Face Stosur For Gold Coast Crown

tennisIlove09
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Schnyder To Face Stosur For Gold Coast Crown
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/SchnyderfistS.BUCHER.jpg
Photo By Siggi Bucher By Tennis Week
01/07/2005

Samantha Stosur will try to take home her first career tournament title tomorrow — and she won't have to travel far for the opportunity. The 65th-ranked Stosur, a Gold Coast resident, surged into the Gold Coast final with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 victory over fifth-seeded Silvia Farina Elia in today's Uncle Tobys Hardcourts semifinals.

"I don't think there's necessarily any more pressure on me tomorrow than there has been the whole week," Stosur told the Associated Press. "I want to win the final and get my first title and hopefully it happens at home."

The 65th-ranked Australian will take on 14th-ranked Swiss Patty Schnyder in Saturday's final.

The second-seeded Schnyder topped Tatiana Golovin, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 in today's semifinals. Schnyder, who beat Mary Pierce to claim the championship in 1999, has enjoyed solid success Down Under in the past. She reached the 2004 Australian Open semifinal, succumbing to second-seeded Kim Clijsters, 6-2, 7-6(2).

"I'm happy that I had a longer match," Schnyder told the Associated Press. "I'm playing well and I had to step up my game because she was hitting the ball really good today."

broncosven
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Cmon Sammy Stosur !!

PointBlank
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Yay Sammy :kiss:

jonny84
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I hope Samantha wins this title - she deserves it and is on fire having beaten Karolina, Maggie and Silvia - and she will have the home support of the crowd.

Jeleno Benesovo
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Good Luck Patty :kiss:

Prizeidiot
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Bad luck Sam.... a very good effort by her though