PDA

View Full Version : Hingis Contemplates Return To Tennis

tennisIlove09
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Hingis Contemplates Return To Tennis
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/MARTI118.jpg
Martina Hingis By Tennis Week
01/07/2005

She was a child champion, who ruled tennis as a teenager before retiring at the age of 22. For much of her life, Martina Hingis has been slightly ahead of her time and now she concedes she's contemplating resuming her tennis career at the age of 24.

The former No. 1 has entered the $170,000 Pattaya event, set for January 31st-February 6th, to raise funds for a number of Thailandís leading non-profit organizations, which help women and children in Thailand who have suffered from abuse, deprivation, homelessness and illness.

Hingis views the IV tournament as a test to determine if her body can withstand the rigors of tournament play. She suggested she could consider a comeback if she's satisfied with the state of her game and her health after the tournament.

"The tournament is a test," Hingis told Le Matin. "I don't know how my body will react. I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am. At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between the 30th and 95th in the world."

The five-time Grand Slam champion has not played an official WTA Tour match since suffering a 6-3, 6-1 loss to Elena Dementieva at Filderstadt in October of 2002.

On May 20th, 2002, Hingis underwent surgery to repair torn ligaments in her left ankle. It was her second surgery in a year. She returned to tournament tennis in the summer of 2002, but later admitted she rushed back too quickly. Hingis announced her official retirement in February of 2003.

There has been speculation she would consider a return once her lawsuit with sportswear manufacturer Sergio Tacchini was settled, but Hingis told Tennis Week last year she was physically-incapable of making a complete comeback due to her surgeries.

"It would take a medical miracle for me to play after the surgeries; something magical would have to happen," Hingis said. "Even doubles is not a possibility with the injury I have. It's one thing to come out here and hit, but playing full-time or even part-time on the tour is totally different. Because it's not just the matches and the time you're on the court, but also all the practice time and the hours and hours you practice to prepare. With everything that's happened, it's not possible. And you know I'm enjoying living a stress-free life."

In other Hingis news, The Sunday Mirror reports Hingis is currently dating British soccer player Sol Campbell. Hingis had been single since splitting up with Swiss Stefan Eggers, according to the Mirror.

Related Story: The Tennis Week Interview: Martina Hingis (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=10094)

Andrew.
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I'm glad she's admitted her desire to return. Unfortuantely, I believe Martina will only be happy if she wins Pattaya, and that being her first tournament in over a year, I'm not sure I see that happening. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:02 PM
now she concedes she's contemplating resuming her tennis career at the age of 24.
She suggested she could consider a comeback if she's satisfied with the state of her game and her health after the tournament.

"It would take a medical miracle for me to play after the surgeries; something magical would have to happen," Hingis said. "Even doubles is not a possibility with the injury I have. It's one thing to come out here and hit, but playing full-time or even part-time on the tour is totally different. Because it's not just the matches and the time you're on the court, but also all the practice time and the hours and hours you practice to prepare. With everything that's happened, it's not possible."

Okaaaaay....

Ryan
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Volcana the last quote was made early last year I believe. ;)

Jeleno Benesovo
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:12 AM
If that info is confirmed these are the best news I've heard in ages.

Come on Marti! :bounce:

Daniel
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Martina wil win Pattaya, she is the best :D :D

Becool
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Good luck Marti :)
Hope you win Pattaya, then u can finally return to tennis :)

Bacardi
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM
From the begining to the end of that article it contradicts itself. First she wants to come back, then says it would take a medical miracle.... :rolleyes:

chapel
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:00 AM
i'd love for her to come back but i'm doubtful that that's ever gona happen

Jeff
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I sooo hope she wins Pattaya http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/51.gif

moby
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM
From the begining to the end of that article it contradicts itself. First she wants to come back, then says it would take a medical miracle.... :rolleyes:
No, there's no contradiction :p
The "medical miracle" part was from last year. Obviously that is no longer a factor :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM
You never know. Sharapova is the reigning queen of the lower-tier tournaments. Watch out Hingis