PDA

View Full Version : Venus: This is really what I need

40-0
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
HONG KONG (AFP) - Venus Williams battled back from one set down as she wore down big-serving Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) to reach the final of the Watsons Water Champions Challenge.

For a second successive night, Williams was forced to pull out all the stops having been stretched to three sets against Russias Vera Zvonareva on Thursday in another Green Group match.

But she was made to work even harder as she survived a nail-biting encounter to earn the right to meet another Russian, Elena Dementieva, for the title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Williams was down 4-1 in the third set as Kuznetsova dominated her opponent with a powerful baseline game, but the 24-year-old American fought back, playing ferocious tennis to force the match into a tiebreaker.

Williams won the tiebreaker after the Russian played a return long for the American to start the celebrations, jumping into the air and blowing kisses to the crowd.

The high quality match lasted two hours and 15 minutes and Williams said she was blessed to have played a tough opponent as she prepares for this month's Australian Open .

"This is really what I need," said Williams moments after her energy-sapping encounter. "Playing against all the top players, I need these challenges. I need coming back from behind, she said.

Asked about her final match against world number six Dementieva, Williams said: "She's a great player. I just feel like I played so well so far and at the right moment and I hope to continue that. Each time I am playing better."

Williams, who won last year's Hong Kong title in her first tournament appearance in six months because of an injury lay-off, then turned and thanked the crowd for their support, saying: "Oh my gosh, you guys are right behind me, thank you. I have to thank my physio for making me workout because now I am shape.

Paneru
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Great article! :cool:

Thanks! :wavey:

Sam's Slave
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:29 PM
:fiery:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Wow, thats impressive. And yes thats the sort of win she does need.

tennisIlove09
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:58 PM
GO GIRL! :woohoo:

jimbo mack
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM
a win over dementieva and venus could slowly be coming back :)

cadiac
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Vee's tennis still not her best but her spirit of Fight!!!! is coming back
:woohoo: Vee :woohoo:
:banana: Hope this year you bring back your tennis to all your fans

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I have to thank my physio for making me workout because now I am shape.
:eek: Wow, was Vee that out of shape? Maybe that's why her play last year was so bad, because she didn't have the conditioning. I guess it takes a while after an injury on that level to come back on top physical condition.

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:50 PM
:eek: Wow, was Vee that out of shape? Maybe that's why her play last year was so bad, because she didn't have the conditioning. I guess it takes a while after an injury on that level to come back on top physical condition.
At that level, boo, even 95 percent of your best can be the difference between #1 and #9 on the computer. After weeks of lugging her trainer around on the beach (barefoot, no less), I'm sure Venus is physically up to the challenge this year. If she ever fixes that forehand, look out!

DEETHELICK
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:05 PM
This is great for Venus. A Top 5 win no less.

She has an amazing amount of fight. Hope this is the first step to a proper playing level.

Elena is my No. 1 fave and I think win or lose for either of them, they will both get a very good gauge of their level before the AO. Elena will test Venus with her returns and FH many a time and will attack it alot.

Venus BH and serve will be her assets. However I feel Elena will prevail as she is just very consistent and powerful off the ground, whereas Venus is erratic.

Hopefully a great match! :)

tennisjunky
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM
nothin' better than to see top players playing within themselves. i expect a lot of great matches between the top players, good to see venus acting like a top player, its about damn time. hopefully she can build on this. good luck to her and to elena, maybe they can square off at a few tier I, or maybe even a slam this year. now that elena is a better player with much more confidence i expect the matches between the two to be battles from here on out.

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I wish Venus would go into the match tomorrow thinking about Dementiava's nasty little comment about her at Miami last year.

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I wish Venus would go into the match tomorrow thinking about Dementiava's nasty little comment about her at Miami last year.
I hope she also remembers that Dementieva was one of the loudest voices on the match-fixing bandwagon a while back.

DEETHELICK
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I'm an Elena fan and don't condone what she said. Lets hope she can keep it quiet after tomorrow's match! :)

I'm sure she said the match fixing comment was a joke though :confused:

azinna
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:21 PM
All I can say is: Good on ya, V. Let's get this ball rolling.

Win or lose in the final, this is a definite step forward. If she can start playing like a Top Five player, in a matter of months we'll certainly be seeing her at the Top Two level.

And I love her new claim to fitness. Keep it up. Keep the focus. Let's do this.

katiektc
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Im so lost.....what did elena say about Venus at Miami last year?
and what did she say about match-fixing? :confused:
lol

DEETHELICK
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Elena called Venus an actress after Venus had her ankle taped for injury and then started playing some awesome tennis to win 7 (?) games in a row. I saw that match and Venus really did start flying high.

Now was Elena implying she faked it or was she saying that Venus covered up her pain well.... that is the big debate. I remember cringing when she said it. Elena seems to have these spurts once every 3 years. LOL.

As for the match fixing, in a press conference she was asked who was going to win between Serena and Venus at IW (I think). There had already been rumours about match fixing etc. Elena answered the Q by saying 'ask Richard' and then laughing.

She claims it was a joke. Some believe her. Others are more cynical.

In my own observations, I have heard Elena give credit to both Williamses, both in print and on TV by acknowledging their talent and awesome play. She presonally said she finds them exciting to watch. V&S have also paid many a compliment to Elena.

So I'm thinking the bad blood is still on the board rather than between the three of them. :) Namely Elena vs Venus.

kodeRED
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I Watched The Espn Interview Right After The Match And Elena Was Trying To Explain Why She Lost Her Concentration And Lost So Many Games In A Row After Serving For The 2nd Set/match At 5-4 And Losing Until 3-0 In The Third Set.. Elena Just Said That After Her Medical Break Which Was For Her Ankle That She Twisted It Appeared Badly Because She Limped To Her Chair... She Came Back Out And Ran Like The Wind And Played Amazingly So No Doubt This Was Odd To Her...
And When Elena Said It She Was Making A Joke And Mary-joe Fernandez And Cliff Drysdale Laughed At It...

About The Match Fixing Conspiracy .. DEE HAS IT RIGHT... SHE MADE A 2 WORD JOKE ANSWER TO SOME ANOYING REPORTERS OBVIOUSLY ENTRAPING QUESTION (NO DOUBT HE WAS TRYING TO GET A JUICY RESPONSE) ...

I REALLY DON'T THINK THAT ELENA HAS REALLY EVER BEEN OFF BASE WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS THAT I HAVE HEARD FROM HER

Kabezya
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Vee's tennis still not her best but her spirit of Fight!!!! is coming back
:woohoo: Vee :woohoo:
:banana: Hope this year you bring back your tennis to all your fans

I think that's what I'm most impressed with and excited about -- Venus' fighting spirit.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
About The Match Fixing Conspiracy .. DEE HAS IT RIGHT... SHE MADE A 2 WORD JOKE ANSWER TO SOME ANOYING REPORTERS OBVIOUSLY ENTRAPING QUESTION (NO DOUBT HE WAS TRYING TO GET A JUICY RESPONSE) ...Actually, if you check in interviews with losing players or teams across most sports, 'who do think is going to win' between the person who beat you and their next opponent' is a pretty standard question. It certainly isn't designed to 'entrap', nor is it considered annoying. That isn't an attempt to get a 'juicy' response. By far the two likeliest response are 'Venus', and 'Serena'.

I don't believe she was joking at all. She said, where she could be quoted, the same thing a lot of people were saying off the record. The she backtracked because it was such a nasty thing to say. Accusing your opponents of cheating is fine if you have proof to offer. It was nice of the other players not to accuse Dementieva of tanking the Roland Garros final.

icequeen
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Venus is not that vindictive and she does not hold things in. Venus forgot all about that soon after the Demented one said it.

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Actually, if you check in interviews with losing players or teams across most sports, 'who do think is going to win' between the person who beat you and their next opponent' is a pretty standard question. It certainly isn't designed to 'entrap', nor is it considered annoying. That isn't an attempt to get a 'juicy' response. By far the two likeliest response are 'Venus', and 'Serena'.

I don't believe she was joking at all. She said, where she could be quoted, the same thing a lot of people were saying off the record. The she backtracked because it was such a nasty thing to say. Accusing your opponents of cheating is fine if you have proof to offer. It was nice of the other players not to accuse Dementieva of tanking the Roland Garros final.
Also, after she lost to Serena in the Miami final, she said something to the effect that she wished she had a little sister to fight her battles. Which I thought was pretty tasteless seeing as how, her losing to Serena in the finals had nothing to do with Venus and her win over Venus.

icequeen
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I'm an Elena fan and don't condone what she said. Lets hope she can keep it quiet after tomorrow's match! :)

I'm sure she said the match fixing comment was a joke though :confused:

Yea right..why would someone joke about something like that knowing how those people and the media cannot stand the sisters.

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Venus is not that vindictive and she does not hold things in. Venus forgot all about that soon after the Demented one said it.
I know, but it's nice to wish. ;)

glamorama
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:21 PM

If only some people could follow her example :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:23 PM
If only some people could follow her example :rolleyes:
Don't hold your breath. :p

glamorama
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Don't hold your breath. :p

Don't worry, I'm not.

katiektc
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Ooh i like the way this has turned into a lena d hating thread :rolleyes:

lena d is about as evil and vindictive as either of the williams sisters...ie, not at all.

kodeRED
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Actually, if you check in interviews with losing players or teams across most sports, 'who do think is going to win' between the person who beat you and their next opponent' is a pretty standard question. It certainly isn't designed to 'entrap', nor is it considered annoying. That isn't an attempt to get a 'juicy' response. By far the two likeliest response are 'Venus', and 'Serena'.

OF COURSE THE REPORTER WAS LOOKING FOR A JUICY RESPONCE... AND HE DID IT PERFECTLY .. LIKE U SAID HE ASKED A VERY NORMAL QUESTION BUT THIS TIME IT HAD REPERCUSSIONS B/C THE TOUR HAD FOR SOME TIME BEEN TALKING ABOUT RICHARD DECIDING WHO WOULD WIN THEIR MATCHES ...
LATER A PAPER RAN AN ARTICLE THAT WAS CLAIMING THAT ELENA HIGHLY BELIEVED THAT THEY WERE FIXING MATCHES ETC... AND USED HER ANSWER WAY OUT OF CONTEXT...

kodeRED
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Also, after she lost to Serena in the Miami final, she said something to the effect that she wished she had a little sister to fight her battles. Which I thought was pretty tasteless seeing as how, her losing to Serena in the finals had nothing to do with Venus and her win over Venus.
PLEASE... ONCE AGAIN SHE WAS JUST TRYING TO PLAY TO THE CROWD AND BRING SOME LEVITY TO AN AWEFUL DAY NOT ONLY FOR HER BY LOSING SO BADLY BUT ALSO FOR THE FANS WHO BOUGHT TICKETS EXPECTING TO SEE A GOOD FINAL AND HAVING TO WATCH THAT TERRIBLY PLAYED MATCH...

HOW COME SERENA AND VEE DON'T MAKE COMMENTS IN RUSSIAN .. THEN WE'D SEE HOW OUT OF CONTEXT INNOCENT WORDS COULD BE MADE...

* I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE I DON'T LIKE VENUS .. I LOVE HER .. SHE IS SO CLASSY.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM
HOW COME SERENA AND VEE DON'T MAKE COMMENTS IN RUSSIAN .. THEN WE'D SEE HOW OUT OF CONTEXT INNOCENT WORDS COULD BE MADE...

Oh boy, the ole "She can't speak English propery defense."

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Don't worry, I'm not.
I had no intention of worrying. ;)

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
OF COURSE THE REPORTER WAS LOOKING FOR A JUICY RESPONCE... AND HE DID IT PERFECTLY .. LIKE U SAID HE ASKED A VERY NORMAL QUESTION BUT THIS TIME IT HAD REPERCUSSIONS B/C THE TOUR HAD FOR SOME TIME BEEN TALKING ABOUT RICHARD DECIDING WHO WOULD WIN THEIR MATCHES ...
LATER A PAPER RAN AN ARTICLE THAT WAS CLAIMING THAT ELENA HIGHLY BELIEVED THAT THEY WERE FIXING MATCHES ETC... AND USED HER ANSWER WAY OUT OF CONTEXT...
Then, she should never have said what she said, and it wouldn't have been taken out of context.

pigam
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM
You know I love Venus, but that's not a weak defense...
it's pretty hard to say exactly what you mean in a lmanguage that isn't yours...

Meanwhile: Go venus :bounce: :bounce: Some amazing rallies and she looked in great shape indeed :eek:

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM
PLEASE... ONCE AGAIN SHE WAS JUST TRYING TO PLAY TO THE CROWD AND BRING SOME LEVITY TO AN AWEFUL DAY NOT ONLY FOR HER BY LOSING SO BADLY BUT ALSO FOR THE FANS WHO BOUGHT TICKETS EXPECTING TO SEE A GOOD FINAL AND HAVING TO WATCH THAT TERRIBLY PLAYED MATCH...

* I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE I DON'T LIKE VENUS .. I LOVE HER .. SHE IS SO CLASSY.
Oh please, she knows enough english to know what she's saying and how it's going to be taken.

She is just very sarcastic at times and that's okay. But, don't make excuses for it.

I had no intention of turning this thread into an Elena bashing thread, I just wished that Venus would remember her comments to take revenge and win. But, my wishes are for naught, because Venus is not like that. Every match is a new match to her, not a continuation of the last one. So, good luck to both women and may the best tennis player prevail.

GO VENUS!!!! :bounce:

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
it's pretty hard to say exactly what you mean in a lmanguage that isn't yours...'Fight my battles for me' is an idiomatic expression, which Elena used correctly.
OF COURSE THE REPORTER WAS LOOKING FOR A JUICY RESPONCE... AND HE DID IT PERFECTLY .. LIKE U SAID HE ASKED A VERY NORMAL QUESTIONRight. 'A VERY NORMAL QUESTION'. What, reporters are supposed to NOT ask 'normal' questions. Do the reporters KNOW how the players will respond? Of course they don't. A 'perfectly normal' question got a VERY abnormal response. The responsiblity for what a player says is on that player. From Serena's 'I lost because I played bad' to Martina Hingis' 'half a man', the players take the heat for what comes out of their mouths. Dementieva no less.
PLEASE... ONCE AGAIN SHE WAS JUST TRYING TO PLAY TO THE CROWD AND BRING SOME LEVITY TO AN AWEFUL DAY NOT ONLY FOR HER BY LOSING SO BADLY BUT ALSO FOR THE FANS WHO BOUGHT TICKETS EXPECTING TO SEE A GOOD FINAL AND HAVING TO WATCH THAT TERRIBLY PLAYED MATCH...C'mon kode! 'I wish I had a little sister to fight my battles'. That was NOT an attempt at levity! She was pissed, and she said something a more mature Dementieva no longer says.
[QUOTE=kodeRED]HOW COME SERENA AND VEE DON'T MAKE COMMENTS IN RUSSIAN ...[/qoute]They don't speak Russian. Elena Demntieva speak English VERY well, as the entire crowd found out after the 2004 US Open final.[QUOTE=kodeRED]THEN WE'D SEE HOW OUT OF CONTEXT INNOCENT WORDS COULD BE MADE...[/qoute]I empathize with defending your fave, but sometimes, you have to accept that they were less in their youth than they are now. You may recall Serena mocking French accent and suggestion that the French would stay home and design clothes than fight. or some such, at the begining of 2003 Roland Garros? The crowd treated her like a pariah for most of the rest of the tournament, and deservedly so. Serena tried the 'I was joking' response too. I sure it WAS an attempt at humor. However it was immature and insensitive humor, at best. The crowd didn't get her intent wrong at all. She was sneering at France.

So too, in that case, Dementieva was attempting to denigrate both Williams Sisters. NO ONE mistook her intent.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM
it's pretty hard to say exactly what you mean in a lmanguage that isn't yours...

Meanwhile: Go venus :bounce: :bounce: Some amazing rallies and she looked in great shape indeed :eek:
Has nothing to do with Venus, but it just seems everyone can say what they want about the sisters, but don't have to own up to it cause English isn't their first language.

icequeen
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM

The williams sister never, never, never make negative comments about player. The only negative comments they will make is about their game. (The sisters game). When ED made that comment in Miami I am sure Serena could have come back with an answer but she would not stoop that low it's not in her nature.

icequeen
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Yea, I have heard that poor excuse so many times.

ico4498
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:06 PM
lol!

Kabezya
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Well I'm sure Venus will use whatever motivation she needs to win the match against Elena. If anything I've learned from both Williams sisters (Oprah interview) is that whatever comments from other players are indicative of those players and not Venus or Serena. Their motivation is from the drive, will, and want to win period and not the catty and petty elementary school behavior. Go Venus!

Andy.
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Go Venus start off 2005 in style and have a great year.

jenny161185
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I agree this is what she needs

cartmancop
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Yes, Elena is a very smart girl who clearly knows what she is saying in English. She speaks it very well in my opinion. :)

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:10 PM

There are two solutions to that problem: be quiet or use an interpreter.

Marcus1979
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:06 PM
This tournament has been good for Venus. she seems to of got a lot of match play in which was her problem at the beginning of last year. She is starting to finally win the tight ones over top players. Something that she struggled to do 12 months ago.

and playing a few top 10ers will help to see where here game is at and what needs drastic attention before she starts at Melbourne.

moon
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Glad to see Vee is doing well, but it's still hard for me to get excited about an
exhibition. I'm glad she's having close matches tho. This can only help her when the REAL matches start.

Jericho
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:06 PM
GO VENUS! :worship: :D

I wish I could've watched this match :( :p

andrewC
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Venus :D really glad you've gotten some confidence back in yoru game, this is the fight you need to show! Good luck for the AO, I know you can win it if you fight like you have this week so far :) Good luck to both Elena and Venus, my two faves in the top 10 :banana:

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Oh boy, the ole "She can't speak English propery defense."OH WELL WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THEY U TAUGHT URSELF A LANGUAGE.. U DID KNOW THAT RIGHT .. THAT SHE TAUGHT HERSELF ENGLISH.. SO THINGS CAN GET LOST IN TRANSLATION .. U MUST BE AMERICAN..;)

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:14 AM
The williams sister never, never, never make negative comments about player. The only negative comments they will make is about their game. (The sisters game). When ED made that comment in Miami I am sure Serena could have come back with an answer but she would not stoop that low it's not in her nature.
WHICH IS MORE INSULTING B/C THE WAY THAT SERENA ACTS IS LIKE NO ONE ELSE EVEN MATTERS .. SHE IS THE QUEEN AND EVERYONE ELSE HAS NO IMPACT..

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Just To Clear Something Up .. Elena Did Not Say "i Wish I Had A Younger Sister To Fight My Battles" She Said That She Wished She Had A Younger Sister Today... Inother Words She Was Trying To Be Funny About How Badly She Played. Imo She Was Complimenting The Sisters And The Family Which She Had Been Doing In Interviews When Serena Was Coming Back .. That She Was Glad That She Had Come Back And That They Are Amazing Players Etc...
She Truly Does Respect Them Both And Many Of U Are Misconstruing Her Comments Into Something More

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:24 AM
And The Fact That So Many Of U Disregard That English Is Not Her First Language Is Wrong.. Not Doubt U Would Make Many Blunders If U Had To Do It .. Like My Gr Father Is French But He Lives In Florida Now And He Has Learnt English And Most Of The Things He Says Makes Total Sense And Then Every Once And A While He Says Something Wrong And Shocking And Its Coz He Didn't Know How To Say It Appropriately
Le Fait Que Vous Ne Considere Pas La Posibilite Qu'elle A Des Problemes Avec L'anglais Est Ridicule.
Y Para Mi, Vosotros No Sabeis La Realidad Del Situation
Ix Ploxo

Jericho
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:25 AM
WHICH IS MORE INSULTING B/C THE WAY THAT SERENA ACTS IS LIKE NO ONE ELSE EVEN MATTERS .. SHE IS THE QUEEN AND EVERYONE ELSE HAS NO IMPACT..
http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=146011

:wavey:

kodeRED
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Sorry Jericho I Meant That The Players On Tour Make No Difference

RenaSlam.
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:05 AM

That's because no one else DOES matter...Serena is the GODDESS of the WTA Tour :)

Knizzle
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM
OH WELL WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THEY U TAUGHT URSELF A LANGUAGE.. U DID KNOW THAT RIGHT .. THAT SHE TAUGHT HERSELF ENGLISH.. SO THINGS CAN GET LOST IN TRANSLATION .. U MUST BE AMERICAN..;)
I'm not stupid, but this excuse has been used for years to protect players that say impolite things about the sisters and it's really getting old.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Venus has such great natural athleticism (I know that sounds cliche, but it's true). Now if she could only get the technical part of her game right, she'd be the best on the tour. And yes even better than Serena.