PDA

View Full Version : Should the WTA/ATP consider replacement players instead of just a walkover?

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I was quite amused at the situation of the USA vs Australia at the Hopman cup. When philipousus withdrew and australia was no longer eligible for the final, the USA still had win their matches against the replacement player. Just wonder how that would work out on the tour. For instance when venus defaulted to give amelie the berlin title, had sprem or whoever amelie had beaten in the SF been asked to play the final, would that be a 'fair' system. The replacement players wouldn't win the title if they won the match but the legitimate finalist would need to win that match for the title.
Thoughts esp on the complications that would arise with such a system? Anyone?

jonny84
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I mentioned this a while back on the forum and people did seem to say no to the idea as it just wouldn't work or be democratic - if a player loses a player loses and if a player is injured it is just life.

Dave B
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:36 PM
What incentive would the replacement player have to win?

And who would get the title if the replacement player did muster up the victory anyway?

faboozadoo15
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:45 PM
What incentive would the replacement player have to win?

And who would get the title if the replacement player did muster up the victory anyway?
the replacement player would obviously have money and points to play for.

it would really jack the system. do they deserev winner points if they lost in the 2nd round? prolly not.

broncosven
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM
It would create more confusion with prize money and ranking points

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:31 PM
At the hopman cup is the rule is a player cannot be replaced by another ranked higher than the injured player.
I guess the YEC has a similar idea with the alternate player, and replacements only can happen before the round robin is over.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:26 AM
i think thats a good idea, but of course the replacement player would get lesser points cuz otherwise it really wouldn't be fair, but lesser points only for that particular match. if the win that match their points go back to normal.

Dave B
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Seems interesting to me, but itwould get way confusing...I am already confused!

XaDavK_Kapri
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:08 AM
What if someone forfeits before a QF of a Grand slam ? That would be way too unfair. Someone would just have the opportunity of playing a grand slam QF out of nowhere... Plus, it would go down in the history books as a QF for someone when everyone knows she didn't play a match before that ?? Too confusing. I say Stay with the WO's

crazillo
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Agreed with dab2035.

WOPE2941
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:10 AM
I think ATP (http://www.atptennis.com/en) & WTA (http://www.wtatour.com) should conside replacement players instad of just a walkover because some player was withdrawn for injury or disqualifie, the match will be terminated early. :o

The audience wants to see the complete match!! :o

What do you think? :confused:

tennnisfannn
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:36 AM
What if someone forfeits before a QF of a Grand slam ? That would be way too unfair. Someone would just have the opportunity of playing a grand slam QF out of nowhere... Plus, it would go down in the history books as a QF for someone when everyone knows she didn't play a match before that ?? Too confusing. I say Stay with the WO'sIt only means the legit player has to win her matches and not get nything handed down to her, the replacement's role is to provide a match and for her it will only be an exhibition and won't count as a qf or s/f appearance. At the hopman cup for instance, meaghann needed to win against alicia to make the final, alicia won although it did not mean a final appearance for her.