PDA

View Full Version : Hingis to Attempt comeback!!!

Dava
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted...but i just read it now on BBC Ceefax

"[Pattaya] is a test, I Dont know how my body will react" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4154999.stm)

alfajeffster
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted...but i just read it now on BBC Ceefax

"[Pattaya] is a test, I Dont know how my body will react" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4154999.stm)

:bounce: Oh Boy! GREAT NEWS!!!!

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM
More is the reson why we should all pray that her body holds up well, she is too young to be in retirement.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM
That's great. Which tournament in Thailand did Venus say she might play?? Was it this one or another one. It would be great to see her reunited with her old nemesis.

crazillo
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
:eek:

I would be surprised about that, really!!!

xr6turbo
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
:eek:

Libertango
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I'd love to see Martina back full-time on the tour. And I couldn't stand her 'first-time round' hehe. I wish her the best, and hope her body treats her well whatever happens...:)

Good luck Martina! :yeah:

Sam L
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
YES!!!! :clap2:

I KNEW IT!! :clap2:

It's her destiny to win the French Open and I think she'll get it one day.

Sash1
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
WOW, that is a great news! Hope she does well there, so she gets confidence & start playing the tour!!!

What a year that would be...
Martina's back, Venus is starting to beat top players again, Serena's hungry for top spot, Davenport is playing like in old days, Russians are here....!!

YAY for 2005! :)

Andy T
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
It is really great news that she's playing with this mindset and I'd be thrilled to see her back on the tour with her special brand of tennis.

tinkerbell
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM
really that would be good if its true.
never really liked her much until the end of her career when i came to appreciate her flair and touch of the game so much more interesting than the power game & she was quite witty as well

Vut
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
:hearts: Hingis

St.Sebastian
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM
That would be really great :yeah: :banana:
Good Luck to her!!

tobe
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
really that would be good if its true.
never really liked her much until the end of her career when i came to appreciate her flair and touch of the game so much more interesting than the power game & she was quite witty as well
Totall agree!!!
So now I wish she will do well in Pattaya, with no problems and no injuries! Hopefully she will find her game back! Actually, I don't really believe it, until I see it, but that would be the story of the year!

WorldWar24
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lukehingis
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Tennis really needs her now!! Pray that her body holds up to the test! Go Martina 2005!

tyk101
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM
whens her tournament?

TM
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
DROOLING NOW.

The Doctor is entering the surgery ;D

barmaid
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Well, this is an ambitious declaration however it all "hinges" on how she does in Pattaya:confused: ...she's not going to see any of the "top-notch" players there...so I guess she's just going to test herself physically:rolleyes: ...according to recent photos..she is as "slimmer" than she ever was.;) ..so a lot of "bulking" up will have to take place to face the "power" gals...who tower over her in height and strength...whether she will be willing to "beef" it up (she certainly wasn't when she was playing):eek: is debateable but a "must" if she is to remain competitive in today's game.:worship: Good luck Martina, I'd love to see you out there again!:hearts: :kiss:

barmaid:wavey:

Grachka
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I'll post it for those who cannot get the link working, which included me ;)

Hingis hints at playing comeback

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40699000/jpg/_40699275_hingis_getty_203.jpg

Hingis has not played competitively since 2002

Martina Hingis has admitted that she might consider a competitive return to tennis if an appearance in Thailand later this month goes well.

The former world number one will play at the Volvo Women's Open in Pattaya, which starts on 31 January, as part of her charity work in the region.

"The tournament is a test," she said. "I don't know how my body will react.

"I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am."

Speaking to Le Matin, the 24-year-old Swiss added: "At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between the 30th and 95th in the world."

Hingis was 22 when she retired after having surgery on both ankles, and her last WTA event was in Filderstadt, Germany, in October 2002, when she lost to Elena Dementieva.

Fantastic
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Wow, this is surprising news, but I'm not going to expect Martina back at No. 1 right away or even at all. Forget about winning Grand Slam titles too, just playing matches is enough for me. The worst thing fans can do to a comeback player is put insurmountable pressure on them to be back at their former best. It didn't work for Capriati. It took her a while to let the hype die down before she could attack the tour again on her own terms. It works out so much better too as Jennifer managed to improve on her former best.

R&J
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
More is the reson why we should all pray that her body holds up well, she is too young to be in retirement.

I agree, I always felt like she had retired way too early.

Vincent
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I am speechless....

xin_hui
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
martina, i really miss you. but make whatever will be the best decision for you and i'll respect it:)

Grachka
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Quite excellent news she is considering a return, never thought i would see the day! :D

Good luck in Pattaya, Martina :hearts:

drivevolley
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Good luck Martina!!!
Hope it all goes well!!!!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM
OMG, I really hope she returns! :D

!<blocparty>!
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I can't say im surprised, Ive known she wants to comeback from interviews at wimbledon last year and when the news came out she was playing one tourney a few weeks ago, I thought she'd be testing the waters before announcing an official comeback and possibly getting her ass kicked.

Lets hope Anna can take some inspiration from this if all goes well. Go Martina :)

hythger
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Good luck Martina!!
Hope all goes well!:worship:

tom2791
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I hope her body holds up! This will be great for the sport

TomTennis
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM
i hope she returns so Venus and Serena can kick her arse!!!!

patricio
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM
martina, i really miss you. but make whatever will be the best decision for you and i'll respect it:)
Obviously you will, because she doesnt even know who you are!!!!!

Sam's Slave
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM
i think she won´t be a top ten player anymore. and she won´t have a chance against other players. she´s just out for such a long time.

the cat
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Good luck to Martina in her comeback attempt. :) I think the best we can hope for is that she is healthy and plays a limited schedule this year if all goes well. Udachi Martina! :D :bounce: :kiss:

*roddicksinme*
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
c'mon Martina comeback :D
I hope she wins in THA and gets hungry for those titles again :D

MisterQ
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
will try not to get too hopeful too soon... but this is exciting! :dance:

hablo
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Well, that is just FANTASTIC news!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :cool: :D

PSUjcapfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:59 PM
come back martina :-)

hingis-seles
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
:bounce:

slydevil6142
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
It may take Martina a little while to get back but I think the fact that she has been gone from the game for so long is going to be a major benefit to her. The players have not played anyone that can think and anticipate as well as Martina so if shes able to handle the power, which i think she can seeing she was able to handle Venus and Serena when they were nothing but pure power, then she stands an excellent chance of having a great comeback.

jimbo mack
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:06 PM
:) i knew she would attempt a comeback

be great if she was successful!

SerialKiller#69
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Interesting. I'm just a bit hesitant about it knowing that tennis when she left was nowhere like how it is right now. Anyways, I wish the best for her and hope that she'd consider playing doubles if her singles plan fails.

Bezz
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Fantastic news :bounce: :bounce: . i dont think she will have that many troubles coming back, she has had 2 years for her foot to heal, hopefully it isnt as bad as they made out and she will continue to play :bounce:

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
That's great. Which tournament in Thailand did Venus say she might play?? Was it this one or another one. It would be great to see her reunited with her old nemesis.i think Venus is talking about Tier II tournament which will be held in BKK around September.

alwayshingis
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Alright Martina. We Love you. You will have legions of fans rooting for you (less than a month now!!!!). Come on and do well in Pattaya. Show them what you are good at. So then you can make a comeback to the tour and TAKE OUT THE TRASH!!!

LeRoy.
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
:bounce:

DEETHELICK
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Wow. Great news. She really had too much talent to do horseriding.

alwayshingis
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
It's great that Martina is coming back, but look at the picture of her on the fronpage of ESPN Tennis. Melanie Molitor and the unparalleled hat collection strikes again....

tennisjunky
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:11 PM
i wish she would give herself more time to find her game. one event isnt really going to tell too much, and an early loss might scare her away permanently. i do think she can come back and be a force on tour and find a home in the top 15. i hope she does well and even if she suffers an early loss, i hope she gives it at least one more shot before making up her mind. a real comeback wont happen overnight, she needs three tournaments to properly feel her game and get the kinks out. good luck to her.

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Does anyone think that Martina will change her style of play at all or do u think that she will play the same style that she used to play? Also, do u guys think that the game has evolved too much for her to succeed with her old stlyle. personally, I think that she should play her old style. I think that if Hingis tried to hit harder serves and hit the ball harder it will not be to her advantage because it will cause more errors in her game. I actually think that if she can recapture her old form mentally and physically then she will not need to add power to her game to win. However, I don't think that she will be sucessful in her comeback. Good luck to her.

alwayshingis
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
i wish she would give herself more time to find her game. one event isnt really going to tell too much, and an early loss might scare her away permanently. i do think she can come back and be a force on tour and find a home in the top 15. i hope she does well and even if she suffers an early loss, i hope she gives it at least one more shot before making up her mind. a real comeback wont happen overnight, she needs three tournaments to properly feel her game and get the kinks out. good luck to her.

Depends on the kind of loss I think. If she draws the #1 seed and loses a tight match, I don't think she'll give up there. But if she draws a Thai wildcard ranked 400+ in the word, and loses, she may rethink her comeback decision. A lot hinges on this tournament.

rated_next
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
:) :) :)

tennisjunky
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Depends on the kind of loss I think. If she draws the #1 seed and loses a tight match, I don't think she'll give up there. But if she draws a Thai wildcard ranked 400+ in the word, and loses, she may rethink her comeback decision. A lot hinges on this tournament.
that's my point. too much hinges on this one tournament and the pressure that she puts on this tournament might be too much pressure to get an accurate reading of where her game is at. she honestly should have kept her intentions private, it would have helped reduce the pressure of the moment.

azinna
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Well, I do hope she returns. If nothing else, she'll fire up the Williams Sisters like no other player can. If Hingis makes it back to the Top Five.....well then, one would have to give the girl supermad props.

But we get ahead of ourselves. First: do well in Thailand, Martina. Good luck on your ankles and body. Decide to come back if it's the right decision. Then, take it easy. Few Tier IIIs, then IIs. And, finally, bring the genius back onto the court.....

Muffin the Mule
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Martina will WIN this tournament - I'm telling you now!

You don't forget how to ride a bike, and she looked pretty good in the recent doubles match in Zaragoza.

Let's not forget that Dulko is due to be the highest ranked player here, and she's had a horrible start to the year.

Can't wait to see Miss Hingis back doin her thing! :worship:

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I REALLY hope she comes back....it will be very great to see.... :kiss:

tennisjunky
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Martina will WIN this tournament - I'm telling you now!

You don't forget how to ride a bike, and she looked pretty good in the recent doubles match in Zaragoza.

Let's not forget that Dulko is due to be the highest ranked player here, and she's had a horrible start to the year.

Can't wait to see Miss Hingis back doin her thing! :worship:
what about those fluke losses that happen from time to time, gotta make room for the possibility of bad start, it happens.

mboyle
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM
We Hingis fans need to sit down and right bundles of thank you notes to Anastasia Myskina;) .

Venus Forever
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Let's see, is the women's tour getting interesting again??

Martian KC
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I hope she doesn't put too much pressure on herself in Pattaya.

St.Sebastian
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Now we only need Anna and the Spice Girls will reunite :p

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Having Hingis back would be nice, but don't read too much into this. A much longer article about this was already. (Thank you tennisIlove09) If you look at the similarities in the quotes, you can see, both quote Le Matin. But note the additional quotes in the Tennis week article. I only including quotes from Hingis herself. First this article.
"The tournament is a test," she said. "I don't know how my body will react.

"I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am."

Le Matin, the 24-year-old Swiss added: "At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between the 30th and 95th in the world." Now Tennis Week

"The tournament is a test," Hingis told Le Matin. "I don't know how my body will react."

"I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am. At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between the 30th and 95th in the world."

"It would take a medical miracle for me to play after the surgeries; something magical would have to happen. Even doubles is not a possibility with the injury I have. It's one thing to come out here and hit, but playing full-time or even part-time on the tour is totally different. Because it's not just the matches and the time you're on the court, but also all the practice time and the hours and hours you practice to prepare. With everything that's happened, it's not possible."You can get to the thread with the whole Tennis Week article by clicking here (http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=146033).

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I would love to see Martina in top form facing Justine in top form :D

alwayshingis
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Having Hingis back would be nice, but don't read too much into this. A much longer article about this was already. (Thank you tennisIlove09) If you look at the similarities in the quotes, you can see, both quote Le Matin. But note the additional quotes in the Tennis week article. I only including quotes from Hingis herself. First this article.
Now Tennis Week

You can get to the thread with the whole Tennis Week article by clicking here (http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=146033).

The quote you put in bold is rather old. She said that long ago. Things change. And we all know Martina is one for the dramatic...the medical miracle has occured.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM
...the medical miracle has occured.You wanna believe in miracles, you go right ahead.:angel:

alwayshingis
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Youwanna believe in miracles, you go right ahead.:angel:

Are you denying that she is going to play?

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Come back Martina :hearts:

This will be so cool

Hagar
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM
That is fantastic news!

jenny161185
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Im so excited !!! will hingis.org be back now too!

Calimero377
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
:bounce: Oh Boy! GREAT NEWS!!!!

That Hingis doesn't know how her body reacts?
:confused:

thelittlestelf
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM
This is AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!

I'm overjoyed!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

faboozadoo15
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM
im so happy! i have she totally demolishes everyone in the tournament... and a tight match with dokic in the final. ;)

MisterQ
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I can't believe she's been retired for two years and she's only 24! She has so much more time in her career if her injuries will cooperate. She really does need good footspeed, though, in order to play her game. I hope it works out well!

barmaid
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Fri Jan 7, 8:00 AM ET
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/my/addtomyyahoo3.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/addtomy/*http://edit.my.yahoo.com/config/set_news?.add=usnenafp&.src=yn&.done=http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26u=/afp/20050107/en_afp/tennisswihingis_050107130051) Entertainment - AFP (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/addtomy/*http://edit.my.yahoo.com/config/set_news?.add=usnenafp&.src=yn&.done=http%3a//news.yahoo.com/news%3ftmpl=story%26u=/afp/20050107/en_afp/tennisswihingis_050107130051)

GENEVA (AFP) - Former world tennis number one Martina Hingis, who was forced to quit the game at just 22 with a foot injury, might consider a comeback if she comes through an event in Thailand on Jan 29 successfully.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050107/thumb.sge.unr68.070105125954.photo00.photo.default-384x292.jpg (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050107/photos_en_afp/050107130051_oi0r8y1d_photo0)
AFP/File Photo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050107/photos_en_afp/050107130051_oi0r8y1d_photo0)

Hingis was given a wildcard to the Volvo Women's Open, which starts in the coastal resort of Pattaya from January 29, as part of her charity work in the region.

"The tournament is a test. I don't know how my body will react," she told Le Matin daily.

She said new shoes allowed her to run without any discomfort and she had been training twice daily.

"I support several charities in Thailand. I'm also playing to see where I am," said Hingis who dominated the tour from 1997 to 2000, reaching third in the all-time career prize money list before bowing out after surgery on both ankles.

She said the low-key Thai event was ideal for a trial.

"At Pattaya there will not be as many people and the players are ranked between the 30th and 95th in the world," she added.

A win would bring her a 77th WTA Tour title.

Last June, the five-time Grand Slam winner said she would love to play Wimbledon (news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/manual/afp/en_afp/tennisswihingis/13924176/*http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?fr=news-storylinks&p=%22Wimbledon%22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw) - web sites (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/manual/afp/en_afp/tennisswihingis/13924176/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=web-storylinks&p=Wimbledon)) again but admitted that the tough physical conditions of the game were making it harder for her to consider competing at the top level.

Hingis, who at 16 years and six months became the youngest-ever player to be crowned number one, last played a tournament in Germany in October 2002.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This article is for Volcana who was questioning Martina's feet:sad: ...apparently she has new "supportive" tennis shoes that she is able to play without pain.:bounce:

Call it a medical miracle if you want:angel: ...at least she's getting off on the right "foot" (pardon the pun):lol:

barmaid:wavey:

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I hope Hingis is looking not to win but to see if she can play pain free in pattaya. The result is immaterial, i loses first round and is feeling strong and pain free, then we can expect to see more of her.

Grachka
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Well if she loses first round, i am guessing thats not a great test to see if her feet stand up to continuous tournament play. Lets say she lost to a middle-ranking player in the first round, it would probably give her a slight indication of how she is playing now, but not a huge one in any case. I think she would like a couple of rounds at least if she is considering a shot at returning full time.

Oh, and the article actually says that the medical miracle quote was from last year, so Martina obviously changed her mind since then.

Marcus1979
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:00 AM
It would be so good to See Martina come back.

Some of my favourite rivarilies included Martina.

Martina Vs Venus

Martina Vs Serena

Martina Vs Davenport

Philip
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:11 AM
my god.. i never thought i would see this :eek:

and i think i said i would eat my hat if i ever did.. :tape:

Bezz
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:57 AM
my god.. i never thought i would see this :eek:

and i think i said i would eat my hat if i ever did.. :tape:
Will this one do? ;) :D

http://www.clearwaterhats.com/tophattall.JPG

croat123
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:43 AM
the question is: would she be happy being a solid top20 player and nothing more. everyone in the top20 right now is so good that it's gonna be tough for her, even if her body is able to hold up

~MaRt~HiNgIs~F@N
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:47 AM
:bounce: :bounce: Martina Hingis F@n FoReVer :bounce: :bounce: Welcome back Martina

venusfan
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:48 AM
GO Martina.. I didn't like u when u were playing but lookin at the state of the wta right now I must say I miss you.. Please come back

Volcana
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Are you denying that she is going to play?No. I'm denying she's said she's going to attempt a comeback to fulltime singles. She's always maintained that it time needed on the practice court to compete on an elite level that prevented her return, not the ability to play four to seven matches in five to 13 days.

I fully expect her to WIN Pattaya. I don't expect her to give up the life she has now to be #14 or #19 in the world. And top five would mean going back to five and six hours a day on the tennis court. And I DON'T believe medical science has advanced so far in two years that what wasn't possible in 2003 is possible now.

Sam L
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:18 AM
No. I'm denying she's said she's going to attempt a comeback to fulltime singles. She's always maintained that it time needed on the practice court to compete on an elite level that prevented her return, not the ability to play four to seven matches in five to 13 days.

I fully expect her to WIN Pattaya. I don't expect her to give up the life she has now to be #14 or #19 in the world. And top five would mean going back to five and six hours a day on the tennis court. And I DON'T believe medical science has advanced so far in two years that what wasn't possible in 2003 is possible now.
Volcana, Volcana. Maybe she lied about her injuries because she needed A LONG break?

What was she supposed to do, say "Oh I'm losing a lot and I can't heck it so I'm going to take a long break" ????

~MaRt~HiNgIs~F@N
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Volcana, Volcana. Maybe she lied about her injuries because she needed A LONG break?

What was she supposed to do, say "Oh I'm losing a lot and I can't heck it so I'm going to take a long break" ????

I think she just took some break from tennis!!! :)

Chunchun
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:41 AM
:bolt: :bolt:

Good Luck Martina!

Martian Willow
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Martina isn't a liar. :) Although she does seem to be trying to make me look silly.

Volcana
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:27 AM

What was she supposed to do, say "Oh I'm losing a lot and I can't heck it so I'm going to take a long break" ????I have know reason to believe Martina Hingis is dishonest. I might go further. If she genuinely lied about her injuries just to take a break, there's a pretty good chance she be found guilty of fraud. The felony kind.

I suppose it's easy to assume other people are dishonest, and easily willing to resort to criminal behavior. After all, so many people do. But I learned the hard way that thinking the best of people til proven otherwise yields better results than assuming the worst of them.

I choose to believe Martina Hingis is honest, and would not defraud her sponsors. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Miranda
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:31 AM
oh how i miss the old days with hingis and monica :bounce: :bounce: , come back Hingis :wavey:

Stefwhit
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:43 AM
The mere thought of having her back, makes things that much more interesting. It also makes that 'one' tournament pretty huge, in terms of significance. If Volcana is right, maybe all the possible 'speculation talk' is nothing more than a ploy to build up this one event into something massive- good promotion and marketing.

I'm really hoping that's not the case. I don't have the slightest problem believing that Hingis is 100% healthy, and has been for a while. It was always my belief, and a few others, that what has really kept her away from the game is a lack of confidence and her pride. I don't doubt the injury at all, we all know there was an injury. I just always thought there was more to her not returning than she led people to believe. Maybe she's feeling more confident these days. With so many of the 'BIG' names not having their usual results as of late, the timing seems perfect to attempt a comeback. The overall expectation has to be low- perfect time to test the waters...

Sam L
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:47 AM
I have know reason to believe Martina Hingis is dishonest. I might go further. If she genuinely lied about her injuries just to take a break, there's a pretty good chance she be found guilty of fraud. The felony kind.

I suppose it's easy to assume other people are dishonest, and easily willing to resort to criminal behavior. After all, so many people do. But I learned the hard way that thinking the best of people til proven otherwise yields better results than assuming the worst of them.

I choose to believe Martina Hingis is honest, and would not defraud her sponsors. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
Oh give me a break. You take things too literally and idealistically. Weren't you the one telling me to see both sides of things once? :rolleyes:

It's not a crime if she said she had a serious injury that didn't allow her to play when she didn't have that serious injury. So what, she wasn't doing anyone else harm. And it's all understandable and makes sense if she was lieing about it.

I'm a fan and will still be if she lied. I lie, who cares.

We're humans, not computers. There are many layers to ourselves. We're not one dimensional beings.

Jeleno Benesovo
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Hope it's truth and Martina could comeback... I am sure it will be good for tennis and fof course for us, her fans :)

Make it possible, Martina! :kiss:

jojoseph
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM
YAY! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

thelittlestelf
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:12 AM
All I care about is that Martina's career ends on a high note.

I hope she can do that with her comeback :).

JenFan75
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM
^______^

Come back Martina!

Martian Jeza
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Come on Martina Hingis, I wish you all the best and I hope your physic won't let you down specially your ankles ! I want to see you back on the courts : Tennis without you, Martina, is worthless. But wathever happens, Marti, I will always support you and will always love you ! I will never be able to support others tenniswomen than you !
Once a Martian, 4-Ever a Martian !

moby
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:56 AM
I knew she wouldn't go away without RG :D :bounce:
What a strange night. Martina announces the possibility of a comeback :) but JHH is out of AO :sad:

Stefwhit
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Hingis on the scene: How will that affect the current landscape? For us fans it's a win-win!!! We have all the needed ingredients for some of the best matchups, now all we need is an 'injury-free' season...

Please injury gods, leave our sport alone. The girls have suffered enough, it's time for some great play...

TonyP
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM
It's good to see Martina considering a comeback, but I think there are a lot of unanswered questions still. She took part in that exhibition doubles match in Spain and obviously, the 6-2, 6-2 results speak for themselves.

But the question is, can she train for, then play a full singles tournament and not experience physical problems. She has in the not too distant past, said that after playing for three hours in one day, that it hurt her feet to walk for the next three days. But one story says she is now wearing a different shoe and that she seems to be able to play pain free.

I don't think she will try any kind of serious comeback beyond Pattaya unless the foot problem (chronically inflamed tendons on the bottom of her heels) is cured or at least, is managable WITHOUT the regular use of pain killers. If the long lay off and different shoes are doing the job, then a comeback could be in the works.

anthonyqld
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Maybe she lied about her injuries because she needed A LONG break?

Maybe she lied about her injuries because she wanted to win her court case against her former shoe company.

tenn_ace
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
honestly, this tournament is more exciting for me than AO. Martina will finally play again! good luck, baby!