PDA

View Full Version : Venus def Sveta 5-7 6-2 7-6 (6)

davidmario
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
great

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Sveta :crying2:

Chunchun
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM
:banana: :banana:

LenaD vs. Venus Final!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :drool:

Sportfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Good job Venus:). Very hard fought match by both players it could have gone either way.

RenaSlam.
GREAT WIN VENUS...Hopefully this boosts her confidence...first Top 10 win in a while!!! GO WILLIAMS.

Pureracket
Even if this is just an exhibition, this must do alot for Vee's confidence.

DelMonte
YES :bounce:

Paneru
Wow! :eek:

What a match! :cool:

Just an exhibition but what
a match!

Up and down!
In and out!

Thanks for that great match Venus & Sveta! :cool:

xr6turbo
:woohoo:

Great match Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :yippee: :dance:

KingA
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Must be a real good match!!!

I followed the live scoreboard near the end of the match...
Venus was serving for the match at 5-4 and got match points, but Svetlana fought back!!

I didn't expect Venus to win this one, given that Svetlana won the match easily over Vera... and Vera really pushed Venus last night...

Good Stuff, Venus!!!

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
What I love about this is Venus gets alot of matches under her belt. The sets are well contested and she could get used to start winnning big points.
Come on Vee, make 2005 a remarkable year indeed.

davidmario
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Great match Venus. But 10 DF looks like Dementieva=) (will be interesting final lol)
You should have won it at your first match point (at 5-4) not at your 6th!
Good luck for the final.

vickiebos
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I have to say that I am shocked she won. I guess we will see if she is truly back if she demolishes Elena.

switz
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM
yay venus

tennisfan1972
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I agree this was a great match. It was hard to tell even from the very beginning how it would end up. Both women put on a great show. I think it could have went either way obviously considering the tiebreak in 3rd set. WOW! the crowd must have loved it. Congrats to both women and especially to venus who pulled out a tough match against a quality opponent.

Sam L
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Go V! Glad to see her win but why is she struggling so much these days? :sad:

Paneru
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Go V! Glad to see her win but why is she struggling so much these days? :sad:

Her from still isn't all there!
I like that she fighting though.

IMO, she hasn't shown some of her best form
since 03' Wimbledon before the injury.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
whew, I hoped she could pull it off after missing match point serving for it at 5-4. Wait to fight it out Venus.

kodeRED
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Great Win For Venus .. I Was Hoping For It But Let Me Tell U I Was Not Expecting It... Now I Hope That Her And Elena Have A Good Match .. But No Repeat Of Last Yrs Winner ... Hehehe

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Go V! Glad to see her win but why is she struggling so much these days? :sad:I guess you didn't notice her long abscence in 2003 and the frustrating losses of 2004. Confidence does wonders for anyone's game. It took lindsay almost two years to win a title after her 8 month layoff. venus will be fine in time, I hope this is the year everything kicks into place for her.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:54 PM
This was the best match of this fledgling year, of course it was the only one I've seen this year, but I'll bet it was.

brickhousesupporter
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Congrats Venus.....Hope this is the start of something good for you and your sister...Best of luck in 05

Paneru
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Venus is playing doubles with Arantxa against
Vaidisova & Zvonareva! :cool:

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Venus is playing doubles with Arantxa against
Vaidisova & Zvonareva! :cool:Don't like the sound of that, does that mean serena is injured and withdrawn, did Vaidisova suddenly get better? What is the official word?

lizchris
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM
This is a great win and a surprise to me because when I left for work, she was down a break of serve, so I am happy. Another thing I am happy about is that she has finally beat another top ten player since Wimbledon 2003, even if it is an exhibition.

Hope she can beat Elena in tomorrow's final.

Greenout
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Maria has officially pulled out today from the Watson's event.
She held a press conference in Hong Kong, the photo didn't look good.
Stomach problems, and she does look ill.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Don't like the sound of that, does that mean serena is injured and withdrawn, did Vaidisova suddenly get better? What is the official word?
Guess we'll have to wait and see who walks on court, but according to the scoreboard it's just and exhibition doubles match, so I don't know if the regular doubles draw has been cancelled or what.

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:13 PM
maria isn't playing sydney, pity coz HK was the opportunity for her to get some match practise.

Paneru
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Guess we'll have to wait and see who walks on court, but according to the scoreboard it's just and exhibition doubles match, so I don't know if the regular doubles draw has been cancelled or what.

Maybe just another replacement for what was to
be Sharapova/Vaidisova match.

Interesting that Vaidisova got better in one day
and it cost Sharapova a shot at the finals.

lizchris
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Don't like the sound of that, does that mean serena is injured and withdrawn, did Vaidisova suddenly get better? What is the official word?

Myabe Serena was advised not to continue after she played a regular doubles match when she only suposed to play at least one supertiebreak set.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Well they just walked on court and Vaidisova is there with Vera. Apparently Maria pulled out anyway according to Greenout.

tennnisfannn
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM
One more thing, these so called exhibition matches are beginning to have 'exhibitions' within themselves. At the hopman cup which is also an exhibition, mark and wessels withdrew and the organisers still arranged for replacement matches.

Vut
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Go! Venus

jogoss_78
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM
yesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad she won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :D

she will be more confident now :)

ghosts
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Venus :D :hearts:

Wojtek
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Venus :banana:

Jaime Bahena
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I have to say that I am shocked she won. I guess we will see if she is truly back if she demolishes Elena.

Given the quality of play possessed by the top ten players, no player is capable of "demolishing" any other. I get the feeling that you won't see any 6-0, 6-1, or 6-1-, 6-2 matches this year among top ten players. We'll just have to wait and see.

firefly_ac
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:17 PM
well done Vee!!!

TM
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Down to one sided matches and Up with the close scores!

I believe, I hope this is what 2005 brings to us eager and very crazy tennis fans.

and...

Go Venus!

Vincent
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM
The final doubles match is between S.Williams/V.Williams and ASV/Kuznetsova

and I saw this match live, there are soooooooooo many great points, both players treat this as if it's a real GrandSlam tournament, They played like they are in the GS final, both were a bit nervous at the end, Venus had to re-toss her balls for a few times, but she commited 13 DFs!

I am so happy for Venus, she had some luck in this match though, but it's great win right? :D Poor Svetlana...:crying2:

Infiniti2001
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Good Job Miss Vee. Hope this is a sign of things to come :bounce: :bounce:

flyingmachine
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
:bigcry:

Bероника
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Well done,Venus!!!!! Now win the title!!!

Lady
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'm so sad for Sveta!! :bigcry:

And happy for Venus! ;)

akosijepoy
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM
this was an excellent match...my friends and i were screaming every point!!!

Great job girls!! ^-^

tennisIlove09
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM
HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
yayness!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
GO GIRL!! GO GIRL!

harloo
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Great job Vee, now take down dementieva!

Sam's Slave
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM
awfull! poor sveta...

Mrs. Peel
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I have to admit I wasn't sure if Venus would make it either! I am so HAPPY to see her out there fighting and winning! I knew Venus' heart was still in it! Keep working hard Venus!!!!!

SerialKiller#69
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I am so happy Venus won because she freakin DESERVES it by the way she played that match. Venus wanted that match so bad she'd be devastated if she lost it. What Venus showed was grit and determination though technically she hasn't shown much improvement. Double faults continue to plague. Errors after errors from forehand and backhand, more on the forehand. It was on the 2nd and 3rd sets that she started to lift the level of her game though at crucial times she gets tight and miss. Her best shots throughout the match was her down the line backhand.

She was heavily strapped on one leg but didn't see her movement being restricted, must have been precautionary. Lots of bad calls with both players benefiting. When Venus won, she did this "I-love-you" arm gesture with one hand, addressing the crowd front and back. Haven't seen that before. She seemed to love the crowd's warm support. When asked about Elena, she said she's a "great player" twice. She thinks the match was "god-send", "just what she needed". She also thanked her physio for getting back in shape.

Sveta, on the other hand, wasn't playing bad at all either. She saved several matchpoints. 4 from what i can recall. She's a lot more consistent than Venus but missed and made errors at crucial moments. I thought she was gonna bag the match at 4-1 but she got a bit complacent and let Venus stole the match. At one point, she got distracted by a camera flash while serving. Honestly though, Sveta was the better, more consistent player that night. Venus though won the important points.

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:00 PM
:banana: :banana: Way to GO Vee :banana: :banana:

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I am so happy Venus won because she freakin DESERVES it by the way she played that match. Venus wanted that match so bad she'd be devastated if she lost it. What Venus showed was grit and determination though technically she hasn't shown much improvement. Double faults continue to plague. Errors after errors from forehand and backhand, more on the forehand. It was on the 2nd and 3rd sets that she started to lift the level of her game though at crucial times she gets tight and miss. Her best shots throughout the match was her down the line backhand.

She was heavily strapped on one leg but didn't see her movement being restricted, must have been precautionary. Lots of bad calls with both players benefiting. When Venus won, she did this "I-love-you" arm gesture with one hand, addressing the crowd front and back. Haven't seen that before. She seemed to love the crowd's warm support. When asked about Elena, she said she's a "great player" twice. She thinks the match was "god-send", "just what she needed". She also thanked her physio for getting back in shape.

Sveta, on the other hand, wasn't playing bad at all either. She saved several matchpoints. 4 from what i can recall. She's a lot more consistent than Venus but missed and made errors at crucial moments. I thought she was gonna bag the match at 4-1 but she got a bit complacent and let Venus stole the match. At one point, she got distracted by a camera flash while serving. Honestly though, Sveta was the better, more consistent player that night. Venus though won the important points.
Sveta may have been more consistent, but if she was the better player in the match she would have won.

icequeen
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Sveta may have been more consistent, but if she was the better player in the match she would have won.

Thanks Knizzle I was just about to type the same thing.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
You have to watch it to understand what I mean. Venus was hella lucky in that tie break.;)

Tatanka
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Can someone tell me the durate of the match?Thanks!!

Happy Guy
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
The match was really close, I was it live! Sveta didn't do anything too wrong, but perhaps maybe due to few bad calls against her and that she was not attacking for a few point which let Venus get back into the match.

Happy Guy
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Can someone tell me the durate of the match?Thanks!!
duration? over 2 hours, 2 hours 10 minutes approx

aNYthing
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM

was about to say the same thing :worship:

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM
You have to watch it to understand what I mean. Venus was hella lucky in that tie break.;)
I did watch it.

Tatanka
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
duration? over 2 hours, 2 hours 10 minutes approx

thanks a lot!

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I did watch it.
Question: was Venus going for it on her second serve, or was she being too cautious? I don't mind her doubling a lot as long as she's being aggressive.

Cyandream
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Maybe just another replacement for what was to
be Sharapova/Vaidisova match.

Interesting that Vaidisova got better in one day
and it cost Sharapova a shot at the finals.
I think Maria blew her chances for the final when she lost to Elena, since I think the tiebreak would have been decided by head2heads. Anyway, I doubt seriously as good as Nicole is that she was going to beat Elena especially if she was the least bit under the weather.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Question: was Venus going for it on her second serve, or was she being too cautious? I don't mind her doubling a lot as long as she's being aggressive.
She was going for it.

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
She was going for it.
Cool. I'd rather she go for it and miss than hit a softball and have it returned for a winner. Venus is at her best when most of the points come off her racquet.

Next question: is Vee still using the Hammer 4? I noticed that Serena finally switched over to the nCode 6.

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Cool. I'd rather she go for it and miss than hit a softball and have it returned for a winner. Venus is at her best when most of the points come off her racquet.

Next question: is Vee still using the Hammer 4? I noticed that Serena finally switched over to the nCode 6.
I dunno, the webcam is stationary so it never zooms in so i couldn't see a closeup of the racket, but it was white I believe if that helps.

aNYthing
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:05 PM
actually darrin, I believe that from the photos that have been taken, serena is using the n3. Typically, she would be using the n6, but she isnt for some reason :confused:

jacobruiz
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Maria has officially pulled out today from the Watson's event.
She held a press conference in Hong Kong, the photo didn't look good.
Stomach problems, and she does look ill.
I hope Maria gets some rest before the Australian Open; I'm afraid she's being pressured to do too much at her age.

Congrats Venus! Now win the final against Elena!

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
actually darrin, I believe that from the photos that have been taken, serena is using the n3. Typically, she would be using the n6, but she isnt for some reason :confused:
Which one is for more powerful strokes? If the n3 is less powerful, Serena may have opted for this one to control her groundstrokes more, since she already has powerful strokes.

LeRoy.
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Its just an exho :p I don't think we should be reading too much into these results

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Its just an exho :p I don't think we should be reading too much into these results
You're a fool if you think they are not all playing their hearts out. They are warming up for the next Grand Slam, which will take place in two weeks.

LeRoy.
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
You're a fool if you think they are not all playing their hearts out. They are warming up for the next Grand Slam, which will take place in two weeks.I didn't hear this when Maria defeated Venus just a few days ago :wavey:. All i heard was that it was "just an exho and that few players take these seriously" but now that Venus won people are singing a different tune :haha:

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I didn't hear this when Maria defeated Venus just a few days ago :wavey:. All i heard was that it was "just an exho and that few players take these seriously" but now that Venus won people are singing a different tune :haha:
You didn't hear that quote from me. I can only speak for myself, but maybe you speak for multitudes. Tasting a few sour grapes, huh? :lol:

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM
This absolutely made my day. I was watching it in my computer class, and I was like jumping out of my seat at some points. I'm so happy Venus beat a Top 10 player, I can't believe it's been so long....this is a good sign, so I'm extremely pleased...hopefully she can take out Elena... :kiss:

davidmario
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM
When Venus won, she did this "I-love-you" arm gesture with one hand, addressing the crowd front and back. Haven't seen that before
She did it in Zurich04 ;)

Knizzle
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:59 PM
She did it in Zurich this year ;)If he means the extending her arm from her heart and telling the crowd "I love you" she did it after pretty much every match she won last year especially if she got any crowd support.

TartarVicario
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Sveta,u piss me off once again :mad: leading 4-1 in the final set :(

Anyway Lena D & Vee match is a must watch :)

davidmario
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM
If he means the extending her arm from her heart and telling the crowd "I love you" she did it after pretty much every match she won last year especially if she got any crowd support.
you are right :worship:

cometz9
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Yay Venus :hearts: This is just the beginning...hope to see more good results :yeah: Good Luck against Lena :D

davidmario
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I dunno, the webcam is stationary so it never zooms in so i couldn't see a closeup of the racket, but it was white I believe if that helps.
venus still uses her old racket. serena has the new silver-white racket i think.

Kabezya
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Love Svetlana, but Venus, what a wonderful afternoon delight! :clap2: to both players.

aNYthing
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Which one is for more powerful strokes? If the n3 is less powerful, Serena may have opted for this one to control her groundstrokes more, since she already has powerful strokes.

The n3 is opted for more power. The lower the number, the more powerful the racket is...

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:21 PM
The n3 is opted for more power. The lower the number, the more powerful the racket is...
Oh well, that blows that theory. :p

davidmario
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Well, it depends on how hard the strings are.

Venus Forever
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Great win for Venus!!

Looking forward to a great 2005!! :D

lizchris
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I didn't hear this when Maria defeated Venus just a few days ago :wavey:. All i heard was that it was "just an exho and that few players take these seriously" but now that Venus won people are singing a different tune :haha:

You also didn't hear it from me. To be honest with you, I thought she was going to lose both matches since she was down in the third set of both, but she played today like she should have played last year, especially when her matches went three sets.

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I think both sisters would be better off with the n6 95, but since they've both used 110's their whole careers, they'll probably stick with that. The LAST thing either of them need is 113 square inches of racquet head, which is what the n3 is.

Jericho
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM
:worship: VENUS! :worship:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

1jackson2001
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM
yay Venus! :D

micah
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Venus is simply the best!

10nisfanofruz
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Venus was tough on the court. Svetlana hit some shots which were supposed to be winners but Venus kept hitting the ball back. :worship:

Rocketta
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Yeah Venus! Any win is good for her confidence.....:)

Geisha
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Well, it depends on how hard the strings are.

Not really. You could string the N3 at 60 lbs and the N6 at 50 lbs, and the N3 would still be more powerful.

The string tension is purely for control, or added racket power. The N6 is a more-control oriented racket, as the N3 is a power racket.

Geisha
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Congrats Venus!!!

aNYthing
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Not really. You could string the N3 at 60 lbs and the N6 at 50 lbs, and the N3 would still be more powerful.

The string tension is purely for control, or added racket power. The N6 is a more-control oriented racket, as the N3 is a power racket.

exactly what i was about to say :wavey:

thelittlestelf
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:13 AM
What a great day for tennis!

GO VENUS!!!

LucasArg
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Well done Vee!!! :bounce:

dansnewbeg
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM
is this Venus' first win over a top-10 player since... Wimbledon '03?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
(Belated) congratulations!!