PDA

View Full Version : New York, New York

Kelly
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Im planning on visiting there sometime this year (possibly april) just wondering if anyone who has been or lives there can recomend what to do and also whats the weather like between march and may?? thanks

"Sluggy"
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Kelly - Its paul, are you the girl im thinking you are? Im a NYer, least i lived there all my life til i came to frogland. The weather is awesome in May. Sunny and warm, little rain, perfect. May is the season to go. My first cousin lives there, maybe she could help fill you in. drop me a pm sometime if you like.

Wigglytuff
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
weather: be ready for anything we have had snow in april and we have been in the seventies in april.

what to do:
bronx zoo
MET
museum of natural history
NY aqurium
central park zoo (though its more of a winter thing)
empire state building
the BBG has a kick ass festival in the spring april i think.

Less umm "public" things to do :o
go clubbing
have wonton sex with strangers
flash people
use the subway :o

Barrie_Dude
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Go to Flushing and visit the USTA National Tennis Center!

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
You can come visit Cam...;) I'll show you "a round" ;)

Barrie_Dude
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Take in "The Late Show" with David Letterman at the EdSullivan theatre, than have dinner at the "Hello Deli" next door with Rupert Gee and finall, go across the street to Flash Dancers!

Kelly
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM
im sure you will show me around cam :-)

i really wanna go and watch some american sport like basketball or whatever is being played at the time. is the statue of liberty open to go up it......i know they closed it due to the whole terror thing...whats traveling like there...can u buy a pass to use for the days transport etc? alot of fellow brits have told me the shops are over rated but you cant go to new york and not visit the big shops...thats like going to london and visiting harrods...which is equally over rated. thanks for all the info

Venus Forever
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:15 PM
im sure you will show me around cam :-)

i really wanna go and watch some american sport like basketball or whatever is being played at the time. is the statue of liberty open to go up it......i know they closed it due to the whole terror thing...whats traveling like there...can u buy a pass to use for the days transport etc? alot of fellow brits have told me the shops are over rated but you cant go to new york and not visit the big shops...thats like going to london and visiting harrods...which is equally over rated. thanks for all the info
Well, if you're into sports, just visit the World's Most Successful Franchise EVER in the New York Yankees, who will have opening day in April, and visit the majestic Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

As for the Statue of Liberty, it is open, but you can't go all the way up to the top, as I remember. I have a friend in the Parks Department, so I can try to find out. But, as I know it, you can only go to the top of the pedastal, or to where her feet are. I think they have a glass ceiling at where her feet are so that you can look up into the statue, but you can't go up the statue itself.

As for shopping, you have to go shopping. Too bad you didn't come this past month with all the Christmas window displays at all the major department stores.

Venus Forever
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, the fun pass is a good idea.

I think you spend like $6 for a one-day pass, in which is unlimited and you can use it countless times, but only lasts until Midnight.

Or, if you're here longer, you can get a week-pass.

MisterQ
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:22 PM
There's so much to do, it's hard to recommend, but others have put out some good suggestions.

A common experience for tourists here, especially those who are not used to large cities, is that they try to do too much and feel tired and overwhelmed and never really get to adjust to the environment. So I would definitely give yourself some unplanned down time to just sit in a cafe or something and soak it all in. :)