PDA

View Full Version : Davenport 'shelves' retirement - looks like she's playing the whole year!

Elldee
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Davenport 'shelves' retirement
January 7, 2005

LINDSAY DAVENPORT said today she has shelved talk of retirement after enjoying a mostly injury-free run in 2004.

The world No.1 arrived in Sydney today for next week's Medibank International tournament after missing the Hopman Cup in Perth with a knee injury.

The American pulled out of the Hopman Cup because she said she needed extra time off to rest her knee after a short break between seasons.

"I just really wanted to make sure, especially my right knee was going to be able to really withstand all the rigours of the whole year coming up and just wanted to take some more time and be sure," she told the ABC.

The three-times Grand Slam winner said she was almost certain 2004 was going to be her last year, before having a successful season.

"Finally I felt I put myself in a position to try and win Grand Slams again," she said.

"It didn't pan out last year but I feel like my game is there, so it would be tough to walk away when I felt like I could really contend for those titles.

"I really feel that way right now, so there's no point in hanging it up quite yet."

Davenport also praised Australia's Alicia Molik.

She said Molik, ranked 13 in the world after winning three tournaments in 2004, has the type of game needed to break into the top 10.

"She's never someone you want to see on the other side of the net with her big serve and her big forehand," said Davenport.

"It probably just took her a few more years to get confident in her game and to really play the level of tennis she's capable of playing at."

Gossip.com posted this in the Sydney forum, but considering this is exactly what we wanted I thought I'd post it here!

Basically, without trying to offend the Hopman Cup, she just didn't want to play a four weeks in a row.

gossipcom
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah it's understandable - considering she's also playing Pan Pacific and has signed on for Dubai at the end of February.

Kelly
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Dubai??? oh god she isnt gonna do the god awful advert is she??

"i luurrvveeeeee dubai"

gossipcom
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:54 PM
lol :) Well she signed up for it so you never know *g*

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/07/lindsaydavenport_narrowweb__200x300.jpg

Lindsay @ Sydney Airport (Courtesy of SMH)

RayRob
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Great news! Exactly what we've been waiting to hear :woohoo:

"Dubai Duty free is a world class tournament in a world class city!" :lol: I can see it now - Lindsay reading of a promt board like all the others do.

-Rache

LindsayRulez
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I'm digging the hair Lindsay!

Kelly
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:27 PM
she looks great...anymore pics??

go lindsay

Elldee
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I like the picture, but I think the colour ages her a bit... not that that's necessarily bad.

gossipcom
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:35 AM
I love the media - she had just gotten off a 14 hour flight and they bombarded her at the airport :)

Elldee
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I swear Lindsay's wearing the same top as she did for the racing before the YEC... She wears things more than once?! Who would know she's a millionaire!

lindsayno1
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM
shes blonde again!!!!!

she looks oldish in thatpic thou

jacs
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Still loving Lindsay's hair :)

foreva lindsay
Jan 9th, 2005, 02:15 PM
:D yay lindsay!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

she looks different in that pics :eek:!!

joaco
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Lovely :D

*timtams*
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:18 AM
oh what a crock, does this mean im gonna have to go to eastbourne and bloody wimbledon in support this year, since i have not enough cash to get to nice warm sydney and melbourne (crying down the keyboard). I hate wimbledon, everytime i mention that word (the one starting with 'w') i get all p*ssed off and start a little rant session, like in another thread i replied to. I will stop before i start!

Leo_DFP
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah it's understandable - considering she's also playing Pan Pacific and has signed on for Dubai at the end of February.Dubai? :hearts: :clap2:

And I told you, retiring in March was never a possibility.

Jan
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Still loving Lindsay's hair :)
Me too:worship:

Hi JACS