PDA

View Full Version : Bush (barely) donates 10,000 dollars to tsunami relief

Allez-H
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Bush donates 10,000 dollars to tsunami relief

www.chinaview.cn 2005-01-06 05:33:14

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5 (Xinhuanet) -- US President George W. Bush has donated 10,000 dollars from his personal funds to
President Bush was speaking at an end-of-year news conference at the White House before the winter holidays.(Xinhua/AFP)
the relief effort of tsunami-hit nations, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Wednesday.

McClellan, White House press secretary, said Bush has written checks totaling 10,000 dollars to several organizations listed on a Web site set up to direct Americans to various charities collecting private contributions for tsunami relief.

However, McClellan did not identify the charity organizations to which Bush contributed.

Bush has pledged that the United States will contribute an aid of 350 million dollars to help the tsunami-struck nations in SouthAsia and Southeast Asia.

Bush has been under criticism for responding slowly to the tsunami disaster that has killed over 150,000 people. Enditem

-------------------------------------------

That's almost as much as Schumi donated,right? :tape:

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM
waiting to hear how much the :devil: cheney gives. He and rummy should be coughing up millions if you asked me :tape:

lakeway11
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:16 PM
well Rummy might donate millions Diet Coke and poison them all with aspartame

jimmyc
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Whats wrong with $10,000?

Good contribution!

Vincent
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM
That's much. :)

LindsayRulez
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM
$10,000 is nothing. The United States is only donating $350,000,000 while Australia is donating more than $800,000,000 - there's something wrong with that.

lakeway11
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Good contribution!

nothing, i don't think it proper to criticize any personal contribution...what can be objected to is how it's done (such as calling a press conference)

Ryan
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
And Sandra Bullock donates $1 Million. Yay Mr. President.

Z Commando
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Michael Schumacher donated 10 million.!

lakeway11
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Schumi has a far far larger salary :)

Wigglytuff
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Good contribution!

nothing, expect everything:

once again i argee that bush is NOT a man of ANY god, if he were he would remember the importance of giving the least fortunate.

the man has millions, if not billions, people with only a chunk of his weatlh and access have give millions to this cause.

and what makes anything bush does with his money pure evil is that as we all know his grandfathers wealth (thus his own) stem directly from nazi money, you know WW2 nazi money. i really could not make this up if i tried. that is just evil beyond evil. (p.s. its funny how everyone had something to day about kerry's wife's ketchup money, i guess there is nothing wrong with having nazi money and hoarding it, i mean even i who take great pride in knowing every evil deed done by these people (bushes) didnt know about the nazi money, just didnt think anyone could be that evil.

Wigglytuff
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM
although bush is evil here are other million/billionaries whom so far I have not heard are giving a dime (PLEASE DONT FLAME ME IF AM WRONG CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.)

JK Rowling
M Jackson
B Gates (although he gives most his money away anyway, so really should leave him alone)
OPRAH!!!!
anyone of the other top 25 richest BILLIONARIES

lakeway11
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:41 PM
just didnt think anyone could be that evil.

wait till you read the likely stories of people using individuals genorosity to scam them of their money or the gangs that head up the worldwide sex slave operations that this disaster creates a supply (even ABC news last night had a segment about the possible use of orphans for the sex slave traders)...now talk about evil :(

Crazy Canuck
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
How much does the president of the usa even make? His personal funds and the united states funds aren't the same thing, unless I'm totally misunderstanding something. Any amount is a good amount :)

!<blocparty>!
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:45 PM
:lol: OMG, :o

Has his father donated anything?

Martian Jeza
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:48 PM
LMAO : At the same time he wastes milions or billions of dollars for a quite stupid war : Great job the retard of the USA !

griffin
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM
How much does the president of the usa even make? His personal funds and the united states funds aren't the same thing, unless I'm totally misunderstanding something. Any amount is a good amount :)

Bush's income as President is chump change compared to the fortune he's already amassed - most of it with the help of political connections and shady deals (see Harkin Oil and the Texas Rangers)

Whatever, he's giving less than some, but more than most. What I find stupid is that they had a press statement about it. If you're going to try to portray yourself as caring and committed, don't publicize a 10k when other public figures are giving 7 and 8-figure donations. It's looks cheap by comparison.

Allez-H
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Maybe but surely he can donate more than a 17-year old tennisplayer :rolleyes:

According to this Flemish article he didn't even donated that much,he barely donated 7.500$ :tape: (sources is his spokesman)

President Bush heeft amper 7.500 euro over voor slachtoffers van tsoenami
Bush geeft amper 7.500 voor Zuidoost-AziŽ.De Amerikaanse president George Bush heeft 7.500 euro uit eigen zak geschonken aan de slachtoffers van de tsoenami. Bush gaf het geld aan meerdere hulporganisaties, verklapt zijn woordvoerder die geen verdere details gaf.

De Amerikanen hebben in totaal al zo'n 200 miljoen dollar voor de slachtoffers uitgetrokken. De overheid was goed voor 350 miljoen dollar. (belga)

06/01/05 16u05

Rocketta
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to hear how much Oprah gives she'll never tell it's not in her make-up...and she's not going to rush to give a lot of money she will make sure when she gives her money is going where they say it's going. :)

and what Griffin said...if you are going to give money and then tell about it you should at least make sure it's comparable to others in your stature....but then again Bush isn't too smart....I just don't understand how he keeps getting away with it. :scared:

CondiLicious
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Celebrity Donors Empty Gestures

Jan 6 2005

HOW much have you coughed up, then? Come on, don't be shy. Tell me and next week I'll turn this page into a Tsunami Roll Of Honour.

I'll even have a word with the boss to see if we can put a big colour picture of you on the front page, under the headline: "Barnoldswick pensioner gave £20, plus month's supply of suppositories." Then run an interview telling how your tears became a deep well of generosity.

OK, I understand. You'd rather be trapped in a lift with a flatulent Michael Winner than reveal how much, or why, you helped those desperate souls in Asia.

That's because you're normal. You don't give to receive. Least of all praise. You just do it. What a shame our shameless celebrities don't see it that way.

How obscene to see the daily Who's Who of Famous Humanitarians (accompanied by suitably earnest photo and "it's the least I could do" message).

Amid Cilla and Babs, a "heart-broken" Dale Winton says he has "dug deep" to give £3,000 (probably less than his monthly chest-shaving bill). In Barbados, Simon Cowell coughs up 10 grand plus a soundbite that should smooth the way for the dropping of his tiresome Mr Evil label.

And Sharon Osbourne's donation earns her a front-page picture and (she hopes) the replacing of her halo, which slipped to the place where her thighs used to be when she ripped apart X Factor's Steve Brookstein.

Steve, by the way, is donating all profits from his single. An unprompted gesture or a ploy to postpone the day when he, too, is relying on hand-outs?

Why have we learnt the exact amount actress Sandra Bullock and driver Michael Schumacher have given? Why can't they keep it to themselves - like rich philanthropists used to do and the millions of ordinary donors, whose sacrifices are proportionately much bigger, are doing today?

Famous people letting us know they're giving away money they won't miss is almost as sad as billionaire Paul McCartney on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, battling his way towards £32,000. Which is as much as he earns in interest alone in the time it takes his dye to set. There are politicians like George Bush, sending out supplies to curry favour with Muslims, after spending £100billion ripping their brothers from limb from limb to seize a foothold in another part of Asia.

There's Thailand's billionaire PM, who wanted to spend £65million on Liverpool FC. Where's the pledge that all his spare pocket money will be diverted from his ego to the victims?

And there's Saint Gordon Brown, bragging about wiping out stricken countries' debts. Yet he is the one who approved the £6billion we spent on flattening another developing country.

If one good thing has emerged from this catastrophe, it is ordinary people saying they don't need to be patronised into action.

Thanks to you, the Indonesians don't need Mike Reed to write a woeful, gushing ballad about their plight or a Wave Aid concert to raise the profiles of a shower of old farts, along with a million quid.

The £76million the British public has freely coughed up proves we don't need a gimmick to give. That we're capable of doing a good turn... without having to listen to 100 bad turns remind us that they're somehow more special than us.

(http://jan%206%202005</p><p%20style=)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Bush's income as President is chump change compared to the fortune he's already amassed - most of it with the help of political connections and shady deals (see Harkin Oil and the Texas Rangers)

Whatever, he's giving less than some, but more than most. What I find stupid is that they had a press statement about it. If you're going to try to portray yourself as caring and committed, don't publicize a 10k when other public figures are giving 7 and 8-figure donations. It's looks cheap by comparison.
I'm not a fan of people using their donations of publicity in the first place, but he's not the only one who did it, so I'll refrain from spending my entire day crabbing on all those who did :o

griffin
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I'm not a fan of people using their donations of publicity in the first place, but he's not the only one who did it, so I'll refrain from spending my entire day crabbing on all those who did :o

I'm "crabbing" at him because as a gesture I think it was badly handled and will likely backfire with the people he's trying to impress.

that and I really friggin' hate him :eek:

lakeway11
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.mises.org/fullstory.aspx?Id=1715

griffin
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Right, lakeway - better to let them all starve and/or die of disease from drinking contaminated water.

jbone_0307
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Bush is only worth 28 million dollars, so I dont know where you get that GWB is a billionare....sure. He makes $400,000 a year, that 4%, seems reasonable to me, could have given more though.

Experimentee
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Its not much considering his wealth and also the fact that he encouraged people to "give as much as they are able". I dont normally have a problem with small donations, every bit counts, but he should practise what he preaches and give more than that if he is able.
I agree with that article as well, i think the donations shouldnt be publicised or used by celebs to gain publicity. If they want to donate they should do it and not gain anything from it.

Hulet
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to hear how much Oprah gives she'll never tell it's not in her make-up...and she's not going to rush to give a lot of money she will make sure when she gives her money is going where they say it's going. :)

and what Griffin said...if you are going to give money and then tell about it you should at least make sure it's comparable to others in your stature....but then again Bush isn't too smart....I just don't understand how he keeps getting away with it. :scared:
Please, if Oprah gave any money, she will make sure that everybody knows about it - that will be all she talks about in her show and magazine. :o

Rocketta
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Please, if Oprah gave any money, she will make sure that everybody knows about it - that will be all she talks about in her show and magazine. :oBull, she never talks about the amount of money she gives. She built a freaking school in Africa and never told how much money she spent. You mistake her talking about her Angel network which is donations by the public and her personal giving. She refused to talk about where, what and when she donated to 9/11 and I'm sure it will be the same with this tragedy.

btw, if you want to have some idea of the most philanthropic people in the country of which Oprah is one.....

http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=144384

Justeenium
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Bush donates 10,000 dollars to tsunami relief

www.chinaview.cn 2005-01-06 05:33:14

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5 (Xinhuanet) -- US President George W. Bush has donated 10,000 dollars from his personal funds to
President Bush was speaking at an end-of-year news conference at the White House before the winter holidays.(Xinhua/AFP)
the relief effort of tsunami-hit nations, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Wednesday.

McClellan, White House press secretary, said Bush has written checks totaling 10,000 dollars to several organizations listed on a Web site set up to direct Americans to various charities collecting private contributions for tsunami relief.

However, McClellan did not identify the charity organizations to which Bush contributed.

Bush has pledged that the United States will contribute an aid of 350 million dollars to help the tsunami-struck nations in SouthAsia and Southeast Asia.

Bush has been under criticism for responding slowly to the tsunami disaster that has killed over 150,000 people. Enditem

-------------------------------------------

That's almost as much as Schumi donated,right? :tape:

would you rather him donate nothing?

korben
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:04 AM
GW Bush :yeah:

Thats first time ever I got to use that smiley when speaking of him.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Please, if Oprah gave any money, she will make sure that everybody knows about it - that will be all she talks about in her show and magazine. :o
She talks about her charities to encourage other people to give. That's why they are so successful. That isn't the same thing at all. As Rocketta says, it's not just about her personal donations.

switz
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:43 AM
my parents donated more money than the president.

tennispro105
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:58 AM
you all are bashing the president and i bet half of you were ones who supported sharapova for donating 10,000 which is about a freakin' tier 3 prize check as far as i'm concerned. the pres. in all actuality doesn't get a whole lot of money for what he does u know. any donations are good! many people out there probably haven't even donated at all! they should be the ones being criticized!

pcrtennis
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Why isn't anyone complaing about all those filthy rich sultanates in the Middle East. The Islamic Countries and their oil rich leaders give nothing...it's sad, angering and telling...

alexusjonesfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Of all the things to complain about, this is quite a petty one. I'm more interested in how much money those countries will actually end up receiving from these pledges. If Bush gives money personally, then good on him...judging people on how much they ought to personally donate is silly IMO. And about Oprah, she apparently claims to be paying for and sending a team of US commandos to help search for Nate Berkus's boyfriend which is more than a little sickening. Clearly the thousands of other people whose lives were destroyed were not reason enough for such action. If people are going to complain, complain about how some of the missing, mostly the tourists, get lots of attention and money spent on their rescue while those local to the area get added up as a stastistic.

Rocketta
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:34 AM
why shouldn't Oprah help her friend and pay to search for him? :confused:

Why is it her responsibility to pay for other people's search. It sounds like Oprah is a great friend....lucky Nate Berkus.

I'm not understanding how that is a bad thing? Wait she shouldn't pay to search for his boyfriend because there are poorer people missing? We don't know if she's contributed other money or not and we never will but if she chooses to fund a search of a loved one (which you don't know if his boyfriend is her friend or not I would bet she has some feelings for him too) I'm failing to see how that's somehow selfish or wrong like you are implying?

alexusjonesfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:46 AM
why shouldn't Oprah help her friend and pay to search for him? :confused:

Why is it her responsibility to pay for other people's search. It sounds like Oprah is a great friend....lucky Nate Berkus.

I'm not understanding how that is a bad thing? Wait she shouldn't pay to search for his boyfriend because there are poorer people missing? We don't know if she's contributed other money or not and we never will but if she chooses to fund a search of a loved one (which you don't know if his boyfriend is her friend or not I would bet she has some feelings for him too) I'm failing to see how that's somehow selfish or wrong like you are implying?
I should've said this before but I don't mean any disrespect to the Bengochea family and am sorry for their loss.
Nevertheless, this Oprah shtick reeks of a publicity stunt. It's not her responsibility to pay for anyone's search at all, it's just in remarkably poor taste that she enlists an expensive bunch of ex-marines to search for one photographer when rescue teams around the region are already running thin trying to cope with the huge numbers of missing.

Wigglytuff
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:14 AM

ok.

Its not much considering his wealth and also the fact that he encouraged people to "give as much as they are able". I dont normally have a problem with small donations, every bit counts, but he should practise what he preaches and give more than that if he is able.
I agree with that article as well, i think the donations shouldnt be publicised or used by celebs to gain publicity. If they want to donate they should do it and not gain anything from it.

you are being unreasonable, when has GWB EVER practiced anything he preached? :o

my parents donated more money than the president.

:worship: @ your parents
but hes not the president he lost florida by 700 plus votes. hes what i call Thief-in-Chief

Why isn't anyone complaing about all those filthy rich sultanates in the Middle East. The Islamic Countries and their oil rich leaders give nothing...it's sad, angering and telling...

i actually claimed in my second post about ANYONE of means not giving (particularly the top 25 billionaries, which most certainly includes these sultans), but you didnt want to see it so you didnt see it. funny how stuff works.

Scotso
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Bush is a multi-multi-multi-millionaire. This is a pathetic joke.

Scotso
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:02 AM
although bush is evil here are other million/billionaries whom so far I have not heard are giving a dime (PLEASE DONT FLAME ME IF AM WRONG CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.)

JK Rowling
M Jackson
B Gates (although he gives most his money away anyway, so really should leave him alone)
OPRAH!!!!
anyone of the other top 25 richest BILLIONARIES

Bill Gates has, so far, given over $3 million.

geewhiz
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:11 AM
King Fahd of Saudi Arabia has just made a donation of $5.3 million to the Saudi Telethon. Other Saudi royals have between them donated $4 million and the telethon has so far raised more than $82 million. There will also be telethons in UAE and Dubai.

Saudi Arabia has tripled its donation to the tsunami victims, to $30 million. Qatar has given $25 million, UAE $20 million, Kuwait $10 million, Libya $2 million and Bahrain $2 million. Turkey has given $1.25 million and has just passed the $1 million mark in personal donations. Syria, Egypt and Jordan have sent food and medication in liu of a financial contribution, with Jordan's Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum being one of the quickest to respond, sending First 100 Hours search and rescue teams from his Charitable and Humanitarian Foundation.

Many of the oil-rich countries could, and should, give more. But even now, Kuwait had given 3 times more, and the UAE almost 4 times more, per capita than the USA.

Scotso
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM
get 'em Gee ;)

jochem
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:05 AM
The Dutch people yesterday alone, gave 112.114.000 euros for the victims in Asia, If It is true that the Americans gave 200.000.000, than I would think something is wrong with that whole damn country.... I mean, Holland has only got 16 million people, but America...

"Sluggy"
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Personally, I dont think it is right to condemn anyone for how much money they give to disaster relief. If you feel that giving to disaster relief is a good thing, than give to disaster relief. Americans give a lot of money to charity, maybe not as much as other countries... i dont know. But im sure we give a lot. I think the current administration has made it clear it is not there to be the saviour of the world, but rather would like each continent to fend for itself. Im sure if this happened in Mexico, wed be giving more money.

Wigglytuff
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Bill Gates has, so far, given over $3 million.

ok, i will leave him alone. though like i said earlier i really shouldnt of been bitching too about him. the man is planning to give away at least $49 billion when he dies.

King Fahd of Saudi Arabia has just made a donation of $5.3 million to the Saudi Telethon. Other Saudi royals have between them donated $4 million and the telethon has so far raised more than $82 million. There will also be telethons in UAE and Dubai.

Saudi Arabia has tripled its donation to the tsunami victims, to $30 million. Qatar has given $25 million, UAE $20 million, Kuwait $10 million, Libya $2 million and Bahrain $2 million. Turkey has given $1.25 million and has just passed the $1 million mark in personal donations. Syria, Egypt and Jordan have sent food and medication in liu of a financial contribution, with Jordan's Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum being one of the quickest to respond, sending First 100 Hours search and rescue teams from his Charitable and Humanitarian Foundation.

Many of the oil-rich countries could, and should, give more. But even now, Kuwait had given 3 times more, and the UAE almost 4 times more, per capita than the USA.

thank you for that me = standing corrected
although ms. pcrtennis was just trolling.

Rocketta
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I should've said this before but I don't mean any disrespect to the Bengochea family and am sorry for their loss.
Nevertheless, this Oprah shtick reeks of a publicity stunt. It's not her responsibility to pay for anyone's search at all, it's just in remarkably poor taste that she enlists an expensive bunch of ex-marines to search for one photographer when rescue teams around the region are already running thin trying to cope with the huge numbers of missing.
and Oprah would need the publicity, why? :confused:

Also, if the rescue teams are thin wouldn't it make more sense if you can afford to pay for it yourself that you do therefore leaving the other resources to be used by people who can't afford to hire their own team? Wouldn't that free up the rescue teams around the region to help others?

alexusjonesfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
and Oprah would need the publicity, why? :confused:

Also, if the rescue teams are thin wouldn't it make more sense if you can afford to pay for it yourself that you do therefore leaving the other resources to be used by people who can't afford to hire their own team? Wouldn't that free up the rescue teams around the region to help others?
Oprah doesn't need more money either, that doesn't mean she's going to quit working tomorrow. Oprah's in TV honey, there's no way she can ever have enough publicity. I have no idea how you think she's freeing up resources by spending so much money for one person. That's the whole point, it's a slap in the face for all those people who've lost loved ones. People with rich billionaire friends are worth more than people with poor friends...hence poor taste, making me want to hurl and so on. Anyhow, I have a feeling we won't be seeing eye to eye on this one :p

alexusjonesfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Many of the oil-rich countries could, and should, give more. But even now, Kuwait had given 3 times more, and the UAE almost 4 times more, per capita than the USA. Per capita they've given a lot but as per GDP, those are mostly piddling amounts for most those nations. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar and Kuwait make many times those amounts daily from oil/natural gas revenues. Kuwait just ran a billion dollar surplus and redistributed something like 700 million dollars to its citizens. There's been a lot of scathing criticism in the Indonesian press about the lack of support from fellow muslim nations...they don't seem upset with Qatar (which pledged a lot of money early) and Turkey (which is on the receiving end of aid for its own natural disaster) tho. They were also initially pissed with Germany for pledging so little after having so many of its citizens be affected by the disaster.

Drimal
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Don't tell me about this George W. Bush!!! :fiery: :ras:

Did you forgot all the nasty things he did in Iraq and Afghanistan? :o

Some people say that the American government wants to turn the tsunami desaster for their profit. After all they can go in this countries build up their military stations and all this in a so called way of humanity... :rolleyes:

So please don't congratulate this Bush to donate money! After all there are so many better people who donated money! :tape:

(However 10000 $ more for the tsunami victims! I'm pleased for every cent which is donated! ;) )

alexusjonesfan
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:32 PM
viggen, you really need to stop. Where is your announcement- did you give according to your capability??
Huh? I've given money without announcements thanks. I totally agree with you on the pissing contest thing ;)

tennispro105
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM
those people over there complaining that we aren't giving them enough money.... hell! we don't have to give those sons of guns anything!

back to bush though... well sorta
celebs should not be bashed because it seems like they're donating 'cheaply' for what they have. it's their choice and just because what they donate might be only equivilent to like 10 bucks for them or w/e, doesn't make their donation 10 dollars! like i've said... the people who should be bashed are those who haven't even donated a dime ok! not the celebs who are donating thousands to millions of dollars!

jbone_0307
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Who in the hell cares??? We, or anybody else didn't have to give them anything, neither did any other country. I mean they have a government and its not our obligation to look after them. I dont recall any country donating any money raised after 9/11 for the billions of dollars that were lost. So be happy for any donation that anybody or any country has given and stop nitpicking geez. Nobody should be bashed for not giving anything, they have the right not to, this applies to celebrities also. Also, there is nothing wrong with Oprah hiring people to search for her friends, friend. If she has the money she can do that.

Hulet
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Bull, she never talks about the amount of money she gives. She built a freaking school in Africa and never told how much money she spent. You mistake her talking about her Angel network which is donations by the public and her personal giving. She refused to talk about where, what and when she donated to 9/11 and I'm sure it will be the same with this tragedy.

btw, if you want to have some idea of the most philanthropic people in the country of which Oprah is one.....

http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=144384
Thanks for proving my point. Yeah, you might not know how much money she gives (by the way, it doesn't take much money to build school in Africa), but she has made sure that you and I know that she has indeed built school in Africa, that she has given money to 9/11 victims, .... When she visits AIDS patients in Africa, you can bet your money that she will bring photographers with her to record about "her compassion and grief".

Now, you can argue, just like Rebecca did, that she does all this to publicize about the problem so that others would give too, but, come on, you can't say she doesn't toot her horn about her charities.

selking
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:37 PM
$10,000 is nothing. The United States is only donating $350,000,000 while Australia is donating more than $800,000,000 - there's something wrong with that.
Its out of his pocket. Not the countrys.

Rocketta
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks for proving my point. Yeah, you might not know how much money she gives (by the way, it doesn't take much money to build school in Africa), but she has made sure that you and I know that she has indeed built school in Africa, that she has given money to 9/11 victims, .... When she visits AIDS patients in Africa, you can bet your money that she will bring photographers with her to record about "her compassion and grief".
Yeah I'm sure it costs all of ten dollars to build a school in Africa? Are you serious? Can I even have a discussion with someone who would write something so illogical? So when she goes to Africa and uses Angel Network money she's suppose to do it in secrecy? So the people who donate never gets to see their money in action? She never divulges her personal donations which are clearly massive since she's one of the top 50 givers. With Celebrity comes certain responsibility....one is if people give money you need to let them know what you do with it.

Now, she has a show and it's ridiculous and crazy to expect her not to talk about herself during her talk show. Why shouldn't she use her show to bring attention to her causes that she believes in? How selfish. :rolleyes:

Now, you can argue, just like Rebecca did, that she does all this to publicize about the problem so that others would give too, but, come on, you can't say she doesn't toot her horn about her charities.
I don't have to argue anything because you have shown zero proof that Oprah toots her horn about her personal donations? Also, how do you show your charity's good works? Oh I know she should spend all her shows talking about superficial *ish and never talking about her charitable causes because god forbid someone might think she's tooting her horn as oppose to helping people. :o :o :o :o

Rocketta
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Oprah doesn't need more money either, that doesn't mean she's going to quit working tomorrow. Oprah's in TV honey, there's no way she can ever have enough publicity. I have no idea how you think she's freeing up resources by spending so much money for one person. That's the whole point, it's a slap in the face for all those people who've lost loved ones. People with rich billionaire friends are worth more than people with poor friends...hence poor taste, making me want to hurl and so on. Anyhow, I have a feeling we won't be seeing eye to eye on this one :p
so people only work for money? Is this what your saying? People who could retire and don't they only do it for the money? I mean there aren't people out there that love their jobs and do it because they are interested in it and it fills their life. No not possible. Rich people only work clearly cause they are money hungry....or should I say Oprah only works cause she's money hungry.

Yes Oprah is in TV and for the past ten years she has clearly done her own thing. She has about the most positive press going why would she need to make a gesture to a decorator to look good to anyone considering she's giving away thousands of dollars on her show weekly....all the press she could ever need.

Now, if Oprah is paying for a crew to come in a look for someone that is one person the Asian authorities don't have to use resources to look for. What about that don't you understand. How is that an insult to anyone. I could see if she was paying the Asian officials to only look for Nate's friend but that's not the case is it? Would these people that she flown over there be over there looking for other people if it wasn't for Oprah? I doubt it.

tennispro105
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
all of you who were saying how pathetic it is that we aren't giving as much as the other countries! k well japan and australia are 'Over there' by the site of the disaster for one and for another, our donations are coming mostly from individuals, not our countries government. we are also sending many aids not in the form of money such as water, helicopers, food, etc! we're doing a ton to help them and like someone said a few posts ago, none of them helped us when 9/11 happened! i'm sure we lost more money wise.

Wigglytuff
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:40 AM
all of you who were saying how pathetic it is that we aren't giving as much as the other countries! k well japan and australia are 'Over there' by the site of the disaster for one and for another, our donations are coming mostly from individuals, not our countries government. we are also sending many aids not in the form of money such as water, helicopers, food, etc! we're doing a ton to help them and like someone said a few posts ago, none of them helped us when 9/11 happened! i'm sure we lost more money wise.

r u saying 3,000 american lives = 147,000 non american lives????

if not what exactly are you saying because from where i am standing its not makeing sense other than the about interpitation, and i HOPE thats not what you are saying.

Hayato
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:10 AM
only 10,000?

This is a fact: MARIA SHARAPOVA DONATED THE SAME AMOUNT AS GEORGE BUSH. That is sad.

Justeenium
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:45 AM

apparently it does for hypocritical liberals and your anti-outsourcing stance.

you fucking redneck nationalist.

Wigglytuff
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:57 AM
apparently it does for hypocritical liberals and your anti-outsourcing stance.

you fucking redneck nationalist.

what?

that was the most nonsensical post. e.v.e.r.

1-i was just asking for clarification of the orignal comment, not expressing my own (something any nitwit would have released)

2-whats with the racist assumation that i am white, do you think only white people post here?

3-you are truely stooooped red neck liberals? do you think before you type? i mean even your racist classist stereotypes are just :crazy: . which is uber sad.

Justeenium
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:12 AM
what?

that was the most nonsensical post. e.v.e.r.

1-i was just asking for clarification of the orignal comment, not expressing my own (something any nitwit would have released)

2-whats with the racist assumation that i am white, do you think only white people post here?

3-you are truely stooooped red neck liberals? do you think before you type? i mean even your racist classist stereotypes are just :crazy: . which is uber sad.

:lol: you can't even think

tennispro105
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:08 AM

if not what exactly are you saying because from where i am standing its not makeing sense other than the about interpitation, and i HOPE thats not what you are saying.

from what it sounds like you're justifying them not giving us donations because we didn't lose as many lives.
also from what it sounds like to me you're saying that if less people had died, that would have changed your mind about donations there.
the amount dead has not a whole lot to do with donations! you donate because a huge 'distaster' has occured somewhere and the people need help.

Wigglytuff
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM
from what it sounds like you're justifying them not giving us donations because we didn't lose as many lives.
also from what it sounds like to me you're saying that if less people had died, that would have changed your mind about donations there.
the amount dead has not a whole lot to do with donations! you donate because a huge 'distaster' has occured somewhere and the people need help.

whatever, i was asking about scale. seriously, is the poster saying that 9/11 is on the same scale as the tsunami, if so in what sense?
if not what is the reason exactly why one of the wealthiest nations in the world should get same amount of aid for the 100% PREVENTABLE (as per the conclusion of the 911 commission report) deaths of 3,000 as the some of the poorest nations in the world for the deaths largely unpreventable of 147,000 in a NATURAL DISASTER.

politically charged attacks should not and save for fools like you are not being compared with natural disasters. a natural disaster even with the best scientific knowledge can be extremely devastating. these things should and often do transcend political boundaries. political charged attacks are just that, political. the terrorists of 9/11 have more in common with the home grown terrorist of Oklahoma city bombing than with the tsunami. i cant believe i have to explain that. :fiery: :fiery:

the fact that you are even trying to compare the two shows how little you know or care about either event. that was MY point.

FINALLY: there was indeed a number of assistance requests that came in but it was bush who said no thanks.

in short tsunami & 9/11 have as much in common as slavery and the titanic (people died) but comparing notes between them is just disrespectful beyond all mention to both events. :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

harloo
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Bush continues to make himself look stupid with the kiddy donation. Like Rocketta said, "I don't understand how he is allowed to get away with it". However, I am tired of all the bickering back and forth about donations. Whatever amount that's given from anyone should be appreciated whether it be $1 or 1 million.

Kart
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:30 PM
However, I am tired of all the bickering back and forth about donations. Whatever amount that's given from anyone should be appreciated whether it be $1 or 1 million.
I agree.

People are giving away money that they could use for themselves and as a person whose origins are from the areas affected I think it's commendable.

Of course, some people could have given have more - but then again, they could have given less ...