PDA

View Full Version : Serena wants top spot back.

Elldee
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Serena wants top spot back
06/01/2005 14:38 - (SA)

Hong Kong - Serena Williams said on Thursday she's ready to reclaim her throne as the world's top women's player after making a full recovery from a stomach muscle injury.

The former top ranked player, who has slipped to seventh place after an injury-marred season, said she had both the game and the power to return to the top, beginning with the Australian Open later this month.

The 23-year-old American said she doesn't think there "there would be any problems" about getting back to the top in women's tennis.

"Everybody who plays me, plays me so hard because they always want to beat me. I am going to get ready for each match from the first round to the final," she said. "For me, I just have to watch out for everybody."

The six-time Grand Slam winner took some time off towards the end of last year after injuring her stomach muscle.

Although she has recovered, she will not be competing in the singles events in the four-day Hong Kong's Champions Challenge exhibition tournament that began on Wednesday. Those participating in the singles include her sister, Venus, and Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova of Russia.

Serena will only play in the one-set doubles competition as a precaution against any injury.

"I feel pretty confident. My schedule has been different and it's not that I have not been winning matches, I wasn't playing. There's a big difference between not winning and not playing," she said.

Speaking on the recent Asian tsunami disaster that has killed about 150 000 people, Williams said "it affected everybody's life around the world. Anyone can sit here and say it hasn't affected their lives. I will be donating whatever I can to help."

As a Lindsay fan, I don't want her to win the AO [it's Lindsay's!] but if she has successes against the Russians and it quietens the medias focus on the Russian revolution - as well as producing great matches - I'm all for her full dedication to the sport. Good to hear she's over her injury too.

I quite like Serena and she's entertaining, but she's a little bit too arrogant for my taste.

Daniel
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM
keep dreaming Serena, :p :crazy:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:13 PM
yay go Rena. I suspected she had recovered fully and just wanted to take precautions. It makes me really happy that I was right, hope she does well in doubles.

Chunchun
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM

:ras: :rolleyes:

tennnisfannn
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
keep dreaming Serena, :p :crazy:Look at all the players ranked above her now, is there anything they accomplished this year that serena hasn't done besides the gold justine won? It is amuch more doable fete for her, remember she made no.1 with only about 10 tournys and a total of about 7000. Lindsay sits under 5000 points, so where is the dream?

Lady
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Well, she was saying the same thing last year... ;)

Yes, she can get to #1 again, but that won't be easy! ;)

glamorama
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I'm sure she does want to get to No 1 again. However, there are several other players who want the same thing, and who believe they can as much as she does. We shall see.

serenafan08
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Serena does one thing that a lot of players don't - she backs up her talk. Remember in '01 when she said that her goal in '02 was to become number one? Not only did she do that, but she won three Slams that year and became one of the most feared players on tour. Even in '99, she said that she wanted to win a Slam - and she did, winning the US Open that year. Serena can say all she wants because almost 9 times out of 10, she backs it up - if she doesn't injure herself. I think she can regain the top spot, but like the rest of you have said - it's going to be difficult now because the game is much deeper. The only player she has a losing record to is Maria, and she's only 1-2. So, the odds are in her favor, but that doesn't mean that she'll become number one again. I can't wait to kick this year off - it's going to be a great one! Go Serena - and Venus and Lindsay - I love them too. I hope the three of them dominate this year.

RenaSlam.
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Serenafan, you are right. If you can back up all the shit you say, then why not? Serena backs it up usually. It's just like Terrell Ownes on the Eagles, he's arrogant and cocky, but he sure as hell backs up what he says...same with Rena. :p

jacobruiz
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I'm very glad to hear that Serena considers regaining her top form to be a priority and that she is taking measures to protect herself from injury so she can do just that.

It won't be easy though, and I expect to see plenty of great matches in the meantime!:bounce: :drool:

tennis ace
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
And your a fan of martina hingis :lol: i think we all know who needs to be doing the dreaming.

harloo
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I will believe it when I see it. When the Serena of 2002 said something in regards to reaching a goal in tennis I knew she would do it. However when her new elevated status as the tour's top dog came she began to lose focus.

Injury did not help her cause, but I find that while Serena is capable of beating every player on the supposed, "new improved tour":rolleyes: , my question is where is her drive now?

Does she want to do Hollywood or Tennis? It's up to her, and you know I love Serena but even I realize this.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Serena does one thing that a lot of players don't - she backs up her talk. Remember in '01 when she said that her goal in '02 was to become number one? Not only did she do that, but she won three Slams that year and became one of the most feared players on tour. Even in '99, she said that she wanted to win a Slam - and she did, winning the US Open that year. Serena can say all she wants because almost 9 times out of 10, she backs it up - if she doesn't injure herself. I think she can regain the top spot, but like the rest of you have said - it's going to be difficult now because the game is much deeper. The only player she has a losing record to is Maria, and she's only 1-2. So, the odds are in her favor, but that doesn't mean that she'll become number one again. I can't wait to kick this year off - it's going to be a great one! Go Serena - and Venus and Lindsay - I love them too. I hope the three of them dominate this year.

:lol:

I remember at the press conference at the OZ Open 02, when Serena pulled out, she said she was gonna win all the other grand slams that year. I thought she was joking, but look what happened :eek: :worship:

Dave B
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I will believe it when I see it. When the Serena of 2002 said something in regards to reaching a goal in tennis I knew she would do it. However when her new elevated status as the tour's top dog came she began to lose focus.

Injury did not help her cause, but I find that while Serena is capable of beating every player on the supposed, "new improved tour":rolleyes: , my question is where is her drive now?

Does she want to do Hollywood or Tennis? It's up to her, and you know I love Serena but even I realize this.

I agree. I am happy when Serena says things like this, because it sets up for some good drama. She has the talent, and if she puts in the time I am sure she is capable pf regaining the number one spot. There is nothing wrong with being well-rounded, but she is competing against people who are intensly focused on tennis and only tennis. If tennis is not her main priority by far, then her talent won't make up for less work.

I am not saying that Serena maybe hasn't done enough work in the off-season...how should I know? I am not her coach. But I think her results in the first few tournies of the year will indicate how dedicated she is to practicing, tennis, and returning to the top.

tenn_ace
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:23 PM

:worship:

pigam
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:23 PM
that doesn't surprise me :)
I know a few other players who are thinking (maybe not saying) this :)
so exciting :bounce:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Good for her. I'm sure most of the worlds current top 10 are just as hungry to claim the spot from Lindsay too :)

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Good to hear that she is 100%.. but with her schedule this year... probably not possible.. You need to play more Serena!!

Becool
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:58 PM
She'll get there eventually...

Serena+LenaDrule
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Go rena! :bounce: :worship:

azinna
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Well, her trash-talking is usually a sign of increased focus and dedication. So I'm glad she's back. It's been a while.

Otherwise, I wouldn't take any of this from any of my faves. Not Venus. Not Steffi. Not Pete.

CanadianBoy21
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Nice to hear. It sure sounds arrogant, but we know Serena MEANS it when she says it ;)
She'll win the Aussie Open I think, but I do hope Venus makes a huge impression as well there.

Kabezya
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I'm gald to hear she's healthy. Go Serena and reclaim that top spot :)

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
First, I want to actually see if it's a 'full recovery'. as in, after a match where she has to stretch full out and run a lot, is she wincing the next day. Those ab injuries are murder. If she's really healthy, the ab and the knee, she's gotta be the OZ favorite. But those are big 'ifs'.

darrinbaker00
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I like Arrogant Serena. Arrogant Serena wins 90 percent of her matches. I hope she can talk Arrogant Venus into coming back. HUMBLE SERENA AND HUMBLE VENUS MUST DIE!! ;)

iHEARTu
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM
she can do it

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:41 AM
We all pretty much know when Serena wants something, she is going to get it. Especially when she is really focused.

Andy.
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I think Serena has an excellent chance in reclaiming the number 1 position she is one of the best players of our time and she is very determined.