PDA

View Full Version : Gisella Dulko is an AMAZING doubles player.

SerialKiller#69
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Paired with Coria, they're the best duo.

The lobs, the soft touches at the net, reflex volleys.. Just a complete doubles player. Reminds me a bit of Kournikova.

Which brings me to a question, Can a player solely play doubles and be sufficient (money-wise) enough to travel around the world to play competitively?

LucasArg
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:49 AM
There are players who are only good at doubles and they make a lot of money. But this is not Gisela's case. She is a solid singles player and her game is growing and growing.

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Paired with Coria, they're the best duo.

The lobs, the soft touches at the net, reflex volleys.. Just a complete doubles player. Reminds me a bit of Kournikova.

Which brings me to a question, Can a player solely play doubles and be sufficient (money-wise) enough to travel around the world to play competitively?

You watched them on tv too? Weren't they brilliant together?
It makes you warm and fuzzy all over. :)

I can't wait to see them on tv tonight. Argentina -vs- Germany
is the delayed featured match at 11pm on STAR SPORTS. :)

pigam
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I want Ju-Oli @ the Hopman Cup :sad:
But it's not like this selfish überb*tch will ever play an event for fun, so... :rolleyes:

SerialKiller#69
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:57 AM
You watched them on tv too? Weren't they brilliant together?
It makes you warm and fuzzy all over. :)

I can't wait to see them on tv tonight. Argentina -vs- Germany
is the delayed featured match at 11pm on STAR SPORTS. :)

Yeah I watched the match in STARSPORTS. Men and Ladies Singles start at 8 PM here. Too bad, Dulko couldn't translate that doubles form in her singles. But I feel like Safin was holding back power everytime Dulko is returning his serve. Dulko on the other hand isn't too shy to hammer those serves away. Damn, she's very alive in singles. Very graceful and beautiful in the court.

Myskina and Safin shouldn't pair again ever. :tape:

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah I watched the match in STARSPORTS. Men and Ladies Singles start at 8 PM here. Too bad, Dulko couldn't translate that doubles form in her singles. But I feel like Safin was holding back power everytime Dulko is returning his serve. Dulko on the other hand isn't too shy to hammer those serves away. Damn, she's very alive in singles. Very graceful and beautiful in the court.

The tv schedule for ESPN/STAR had Slovakia -vs- USA as
the 8pm match. 11pm is suppose to be Germany -vs- Argentina.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM
How's Coria in doubles? I mean, he's obviously not awful or they wouldn't be winning, but detail would be nice ;)

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM
How's Coria in doubles? I mean, he's obviously not awful or they wouldn't be winning, but detail would be nice ;)

Well...there's a reason some people call him the male Martina Hingis.
Yes, he plays dubs like her too. :) Those volleys and high backhand
volleys were classic. Real arty stuff. :yeah:

Crazy Canuck
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Well...there's a reason some people call him the male Martina Hingis.
Yes, he plays dubs like her too. :) Those volleys and high backhand
volleys were classic. Real arty stuff. :yeah:
Super! Thanks :)

SerialKiller#69
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Coria was just as great. His volleys were at par with Dulko's. He killed a shot towards Safin which the Russian wasn't too amused about. Hence, he returned the favour with a slight overhead in Coria's direction too.:lol:

silverwhite
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:17 AM
The tv schedule for ESPN/STAR had Slovakia -vs- USA as
the 8pm match. 11pm is suppose to be Germany -vs- Argentina.

They're showing two ties today? :eek:

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Dulko is fantastic at doubles, and solid in singles.
Her singles matches atm aren't that great, but its improving , and shes getting better, doubles gives her the confidence and practice. Shes a great player :)

skanky~skanketta
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM
i like gisela. she's quite pretty too. she made feww too many errors in singles and it was wonderful to see her hit to the guys. she brought it. she hit a return winner of safin's first serve!

and its amazing that coria had never played a mixed dubs match before this!i think these two make a great pair, the beat even the italian team who play pretty well together.

as for safin and myskina, just stop it. they never won a match last year and it looks like they wont this year.

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM
They're showing two ties today? :eek:

YES!!!!!!

I usually don't like doubles during Grand Slams because I'd
rather see a pure women's round match on tv, and feel like
they're cutting in on something better. Men's doubles is
boring, and I don't like Original Martina and whoever
wasting my tv coverage time.

The Hopman Cup on the other hand is different-
I'm up for it and want to see big named mixed doubles teams.
It highly enjoyable getting to see and watch a different side
of a player you may have not gotten into before or cared for.

I'm looking forward to checking out how Dani's form is later on
tonight after my dinner reservations.

Lemonskin.
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Coria and Dulko not look like an attractive partnersship, they're fugging awesome!!!

Dulko just comes into her own in the doubles. I cont believe how good she is in it!!!

Lemonskin.
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM
You'd never know that Coria had played almost no mens doulbes and NO mixed doubles until a few days ago.

I think Gisela and Coria should pair up at some slams!!!

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I AGREE!! it was the worst doubles i have ever seen!! i mean, there were some good shots, but the most was like crap. i thougt marat could have played better.

oh yess.. when i saw the argentinians play one thing came to my mind, guillermo and gisela looks cute together :worship: :tape: :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM
marat lets anastasia do all the work. he seems pretty inactive, unlike coria whois constantly moving about trying to psych out his opponents. and gisela holds her ground like there is no tomorrow!

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM
i think after the match anastasia was really exhausted!

SM
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
gisela like anna in doubles? shes far better imo from what ive seen this week. her angles are awesome :)

10nisfanofruz
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM
marat lets anastasia do all the work. he seems pretty inactive, unlike coria whois constantly moving about trying to psych out his opponents. and gisela holds her ground like there is no tomorrow!

I totally agree with you.
Hope that other russians will play in Hopman Cup next year.
No more Safin&Myskina if Russia wants to win mix double for once. :o

Dava
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Gisela was good but its the only match Ive seen her in...But I think if she could come to the net more and singles then it would benefit her more cos she can do a lot there and has a lot of skill up and the front. It would just support her already solid baseline game.

Dava
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM
When I say the only match ive seen her in I mean doubles match...Ive actually seen her play live TWICE!

TonyP
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Dulko was very impressive in doubles. I assume, though, that like most players, her top priority is singles. And unfortunately, in today's game, her skill at net is not as important as it is in doubles, since it is much harder to get to net against power players in singles competition. Still, I think that she appears headed for a good, solid, all round career. And at 20, she has plenty of time to perfect her game.

I felt sorry for Myskina, though, who was pretty much carrying her team, due to Safin's lethargy or whatever was bugging him.

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Blake/Meg -vs- Dani/Domi is on TV and it's really boring. Blake is dull
and constant "trying to blow Dani away" serve is lame.

Give me ARGENTINA!!!!!!!

patricio
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Blake/Meg -vs- Dani/Domi is on TV and it's really boring. Blake is dull
and constant "trying to blow Dani away" serve is lame.

Give me ARGENTINA!!!!!!!
Well, Coria and Dulko are in the final!!!

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM
The delayed Argentina -vs- Germany matches will be on at 11pm.
I'll watch the repeat telecast tomorrow instead. :)

I'm glad they're in the final. This means more ARGENTINA on tv :yeah:

Greenout
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Ok- ARGENTINA fans viewing STAR SPORTS ASIA here's our schedule
Tonight Argentina -vs- Germany 11pm

Friday Argentina-vs- Germany 16:30 hrs repeat

Saturday Argentina in the FINALS 17:00 hrs. Same day delayed telecast.

:)

SerialKiller#69
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Watched Dulko's singles match against Groenefeld (spelling?). She was playing a lot better than she did against Myskina. Annalena though was determined to win the match. Reminds me bit of Kim physically and with her gamestyle.

How young is Gisella by the way? I can't make up my mind whether she's a teen or an adult.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Gisela turns 20 at end of Jan :)

SerialKiller#69
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Whew! They're in the final? Could someone please explain how it happened. Though Daniela and Dominik's wins sealed it. Tsk tsk

Anyways, good luck to the Argentinian team. It'll be an interesting match against Annalena.