PDA

View Full Version : Australia out, no surprise!

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:52 AM
If anyone cares Mark is too injured to continue playing so Australia can no longer contend to be in the finals. HOwever they will still play USA tomorrow to determine who out of the rest of group B goes into the finals. THey have a replacement for Mark, a young player - Paul Baccanello, from Western AUstralia.
Mark said at the press conference it was torn muscles or somthing, and then he went on to attack the media which is always entertaining.

So yea aus vs USA will be played tomorrow, but no mark, and aus can in no way make it to finals!

Marcus1979
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:35 AM
We should of had Lleyton Hewitt or at least Wayne Arthurs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Well Lleyton got injured last year at the hopman, it seems to be some sort of australian curse ...

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Good practice for Bacca!

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I've never seen this Paul Baccanello play. I wonder what he's like?

hayden_tennis
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:19 AM
bacca is a good playa definitely on the up!

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Good to hear!! Blakes a great player though..
I'm just happy Alicia didnt have to miss out on her last singles match, good practice for the aus open.

Jan 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Well Lleyton got injured last year at the hopman, it seems to be some sort of australian curse ...It was only a very minor injury and he continued to play. It was Alicia who retired last year...and we all know the Lleyton chicken-pox story...but honestly, I don't think Mark's injury made a difference to our Hopman Cup chances. He said himself that he was not expecting to play well at this stage of the year

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Yeah, but still with what happened today, all of group B would have gone in with even chances tomorrow, 3 mathes won each, and 3 matches lost each. We would have had a chance. Who knows?

Anyways i'm just saying minor or major we always manage to get injuries lol it just happens!!

Marcus1979
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Lleytons wasn't that bad though.

he went straight from Perth and won Sydney

Fantastic
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Paul Baccanello is 25-years-old from Adelaide and is ranked 140. He's Australia's fifth highest ranked male player in the world but is a journeyman who mainly plays the ITF challenger circuit. In 2003, he qualified for Wimbledon and won a round before losing to Lleyton Hewitt's conqueror, Ivo Karlovic. He will be fodder for James Blake in singles, but he might be able to hold his own in the mixed doubles. Alicia Molik needs to beat Meghann Shaughnessy in straight sets, and the Aussies need to take a set in the mixed doubles to prevent USA from qualifying for the final. On the other court, the Slovaks need to either clean sweep to ensure they reach the final or win at least 5 sets, which would ensure them a win and a berth in the final against Argentina.

As for Mark Philippoussis, I felt sorry for him at first. An injury is both painful to the body of a sportsman and painful to the hip pocket. Secondly, the "fans" were not exactly pleased to hear that he had withdrawn from the Hopman Cup again and were quite mean-spirited about their disappointment.

However, after throwing a tanty at the media, I think Mark Philippoussis needs to stop being delusional and get on with his tennis. If he thinks waging a war with the media is the best step to take then good luck to him because he needs all the support he can get right now and he's just done the dirty on the people who can offer him that public empathy. He says that his tennis doesn't effect anyone but himself. That's also correct, but then why isn't he putting any pressure on himself to perform at his best? He needs someone to handle his PR because he's just not very good at it. His best course of action would be to have just admitted that 2004 was a whitewash and that he was looking to work on his tennis and improve on his form for 2005. That way, he's happy and everyone else is happy and he can go home and happily fuck all the teenagers he wants. He needs to stop being an asshole.

LindsayRulez
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM
at least we should have a good match with Alicia and Meghann...go USA!

hayden_tennis
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:10 AM
the mens match will be competitive too. should be blake in straight sets tho but will be quite entertaining as bacca has nothing to lose and u can garantee he will put in 100%

Wiggly
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Netherland, Slovaks and USA are on 1-1 wins/defeats...

If Slovaks and USA wins today, who goes in final :confused:

Experimentee
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Unlucky for the Slovaks that they had to play Aus with Mark. The USA get Aus with Baccanello which will be easier, and could be the difference between making the final or not. Baccanello was out for most of last year due to osteitis pubis so he isnt back to his best and I dont think he will win anything.

Wiggly
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:30 AM
I don't know you Australian Boy but C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At leats, wons the mixed doubles :rolleyes:

Huntress555
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I thought Baccanello played well today, Blake was too experience in the singles. and Paul was not as confident. He had several chances, but missed out on them, making wrong judgments, but still played pretty good. But he was even better in the doubles, he was sure as confident :) played some awesome shots, pitty aus didn't win, as i thought they were the more dominant ones, I think mis-communication was the thing that caught aus.

Still well done Paul, good debut, maybe even prefer you to mark next year, depending how your year this year goes.
WEll done ALicia, undefeated in singles WOO HOO!!!!!

flip_fan
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:37 AM
However, after throwing a tanty at the media, I think Mark Philippoussis needs to stop being delusional and get on with his tennis. If he thinks waging a war with the media is the best step to take then good luck to him because he needs all the support he can get right now and he's just done the dirty on the people who can offer him that public empathy. He says that his tennis doesn't effect anyone but himself. That's also correct, but then why isn't he putting any pressure on himself to perform at his best? He needs someone to handle his PR because he's just not very good at it. His best course of action would be to have just admitted that 2004 was a whitewash and that he was looking to work on his tennis and improve on his form for 2005. That way, he's happy and everyone else is happy and he can go home and happily fuck all the teenagers he wants. He needs to stop being an asshole.

Have you been living under a rock?? How many times has mark said last year was the worst year of his career, that all he wanted was for it to end so he could start the new year fresh. If you listen a little more closely to his interviews, maybe not the edited versions, who will see he is still very much comitted to his tennis, but at the same time being realisitic about his chances. John MacEnroe who worked with mark recently told him not to expect much this summer, he isnt 100% fit and lacks alot of match play. That is what mark has said all along. He would be an idiot to come out and talk up his chances, because the media would crucify him. Mark was honest because he knew the media were stirring up the pot and creating the illusion that he HAD to win this summer, his career is over if he didnt.

Here's what he said in the interview that maybe you didnt see on tv....

How tough mentally is it for something like this to happen at the beginning of the season?

It is tough mentally, but I have been through a lot of things in my life which have been tough mentally so itís another road or another hill Iím going to climb. As I say it is the just start of the year and it is just a small tear. Thankfully it is nothing major. Iíve just got to come back from this.

At the same time, after getting through all the knee problems. It must be frustrating trying to get your confidence back?

Yeah itís an injury, but nothing big. The most important thing is my knee and that came out fine. I have had no pain in my knee, from those matches. For me that is the most important thing. It has shown that, OK I have concentrated on the knee but I might have overlooked other places of my muscles that I need to work on. That is something now that I have got to realise has happened. I have to work on it, itís as simple as that. What doesnít kill you makes you stronger. I know I can come back from this and thatís all that matters for me. What I think, that is the only thing I care about.

Obviously Alicia is a bit disappointed. Have you had a chance to talk to her?

Yes, we spoke last night. She went through the same thing last year, so she knows exactly how I feel. Again I apologise to her because she is playing such great tennis. This is more matches, to prove herself. I think we could have done some damage here. I was definitely having fun playing mixed with her. But that is the way it goes unfortunately. She is still going to play some matches here which is great for her to get ready for the summer.

Mark, if the pressure isnít there, is the hunger still there?

The hunger is there or else I wouldnít be here. Why am I putting myself through this? For the pain? You think I like the pain? You think I like coming back like this? No, because I love it and I know I have something to prove, not for any one else, but for myself. I have a desire inside of me and I have goals I would like to achieve. That is why I am here. Not for anyone else not for any other reason. I am doing it for me.

Mark, you said in the press conference earlier in the week that you thought you would be physically right by mid-year. Does this put that back a bit?

Not at all, that will just make me work harder. Like I said, I have realised what I have to work on. It is something that I can go back to my trainer and say, this is what happened, this is how I felt. How should we handle this? Well we know this happened, we make sure this wont happen next time by doing this or by doing that. We will be working harder even there. I think it will help me. Unfortunately it has helped me in the short run but not the long run.

You are saying you donít want to prove anything to anybody else; you just want to prove something to yourself. What is it that you want to prove?

For myself how good I can be and whether that is what I have achieved. Whether that is something else, I donít know. But I know I can achieve a lot more. I am not satisfied with the stuff that I have done. I am 28 and people are saying that time is running out. But I donít think it is. For me, in my mind that is the most important thing. You look at Andre Agassi, he won four of his five Grand Slams after the age of 29. That is very inspiring for me. That says a lot right there. Lots of people counted him out and wrote things and he came back to shut people up. By playing, not by anything else. For me thatís how I want try and do things. Whether I do or whether I donít, Iím going to give it all I can.

You are 28 now, you want longevity in the sport; does that mean itís all about better body management and learning how to maintain yourself?

I think it is about learning how to do things a lot smarter. Whether it be training wise, scheduling my tournaments to try and pick the bigger tournaments. That is something I have to sit down and work out. Itís not the start to the year I would have liked, but it has come along and I have to deal with that and try and turn this into a positive and try and do something.

Huntress555
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:46 AM
He can show commitent to tennis without lashing out and saying all that "who cares if I don't win another match' stuff he said IMO.