PDA

View Full Version : Whats DivX?

Darop.
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I always hear people talking about it, I went on the site and I dont really understand...

Is it a program that allows you to put videos found on internet on a DVD?

Hulet
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:09 AM
In a way, yes. Most of the videos (atleast most of the AVI Videos) in the internet seem to be encoded (compressed) using DIVX. So, if you want to burn them into DVD in video format or even play them in MS Windows, you need DIVX. I don't use Windows, so I never needed this library to play any video files.

Martian Willow
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:03 AM
It's a codec. :) Which means it's a format for digital video, a bit like mpeg or mp3 and wma for audio.

Wigglytuff
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:24 AM
here is another question, i wonder how i can divx to play on my mac?

Hulet
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I use mplayer to play all types videos (including DIVX encoded files). I am not sure if the OSX port of this player is as good as the Linux version, but here is its site anyways: http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

harloo
Jan 5th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I am new to this also. I use windows Media player to play xvid, and divx movies. The easiest program I use to burn my xvid/divx files is DVD santa which converts straight to DVD. It's very easy to use if you don't want any subtitles.

The discs works in all of my dvd players including my ps2.

Darop.
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
So, if I have a DVD reader already in my computer, and I can possibly buy a DVD burner, can I put videos from internet onto a DVD and play them on a normal DVD player on my computer? :confused:

Hulet
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Yes. But, not all videos and not all dvd players might play them. Burning them on a DVD is basically a pain, from my experience, b/c it takes so much time. The picture quality is not good if you want to watch it on TV.