PDA

View Full Version : Breakin' (aka Breakdance) anyone like this movie?

Evelyn Tremble
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have this movie in their DVD collection? I bought it today when out shopping, I couldn’t believe it was made 20 years ago, my has time flown.
Anyway in case you don’t know, here’s what it’s about.

Breakin’ revolves around Kelly, a young lady who aspires to be a dancer and is working her way through dance school to make it happen. However, she soon becomes tired of the stuffy, boring styles of dancing taught at the school. When a friend introduces her to the local break dancing scene, she realizes she has found her calling as a dancer.
Kelly befriends ‘Ozone and Turbo’, two of the best street dancers on the scene, and is renamed ‘Special K’. Together, the trio takes on the established dance world by using a big time dance competition as a chance to show the dance school teachers that their self taught moves are just as graceful and vital to the dance world as anything the school could teach.
This groundbreaking movie remains a one of the most popular movies of the 1980’s and thanks to a whole host of classic tunes and unforgettably dance scenes this movie has become legendary.:D

kiwifan
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:10 PM
"Like" is a bit strong for a movie like Breakin'

It was a cheesy Hollywood exploitation flick.

That said it was funny as hell, but it was no Wildstyle, not even worthy of Beat Street really. :cool:

It's greatest legacy as a film is the oft mocked title of its sequel, "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo". Now most bad sequels are referred to with that ending, for example, "I hear the studios are releasing, Starship Troopers 2: Electric Boogaloo, straight to video."

Dava
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM
This is the one Save The Last Dance is a copy of right??? No I havent seen it but Andre off the board was telling me about it.

Rocketta
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I don't think Save the Last Dance is a copy? :confused:

The white girl in Breaking was a dancer to begin with.....STLD nobody was a dancer...:unsure: :p

I love Breakin'! :bounce: :bounce:

I guess it helped that I was totally inlove with Shabba Doo (Adolfo Quinones) & Boogaloo Shimp (Michael Chambers)....They were both so cute.

Looked them up on imdb and found out that Adolfo was married to Lela Rochan! :eek:

Dana Marcy
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:35 PM
DVD?! Please! I saw it at the movies in the summer of 1984! :cool: It was me and my cousin Ruth and we had a good ol time.

I don't think Save the Last Dance is a copy? :confused:

Their stories aren't even the same. :shrug:

The white girl in Breaking was a dancer to begin with.....STLD nobody was a dancer...:unsure: :p

:lol: In the club scenes in STLD nobody seemed like they were natural dancers. It all seemed like they were showing us something they learned in a class. The white girl from Breakin looked like a Solid Gold Dancer wannabe :angel:

I love Breakin'! :bounce: :bounce:

I guess it helped that I was totally inlove with Shabba Doo (Adolfo Quinones) & Boogaloo Shimp (Michael Chambers)....They were both so cute.

They really were cute especially Boogaloo. :)

Looked them up on imdb and found out that Adolfo was married to Lela Rochan! :eek:

Really? The only husband I heard of hers is the brother who directed Training Day.

Rocketta
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:15 AM
DVD?! Please! I saw it at the movies in the summer of 1984! :cool: It was me and my cousin Ruth and we had a good ol time. I can't lie....I saw it in the movies as well....:tape:

:lol: In the club scenes in STLD nobody seemed like they were natural dancers. It all seemed like they were showing us something they learned in a class. The white girl from Breakin looked like a Solid Gold Dancer wannabe :angel:I know none of the main characters could dance worrth a damn. I still loved it though. :o To think Darren from Soul Food (He played Lenny and is a choreographer in real life) was up for that part and they went with the guy they went with. :unsure:

Really? The only husband I heard of hers is the brother who directed Training Day.Ha, apparently she's been married before. :) I saw that on imdb.com. I can't vouch for it 100% but it's probably true.