PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever work with MS Project or other project management software?

griffin
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I've been told the Project is complex and not very user-friendly and Iím wondering if it's possible - if you don't need all the bells and whistles - to set it up so it's easier to use (I can get it dirt cheap through a discount program. We'd be able to get copies for my entire department for what my colleague wants to spend on a single copy of his pet software pick)

Rocketta
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Man Griff, wish I could help you but I don't even know what this stuff is. :retard:

I can however bump your thread and hope someone sees it. :D

GBFH
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:53 PM
just my opinion, but i do not like MS project. had the chance to use it for an IS project last semester, and it frustrated me to the point that i gave up and drew out my PERT diagram, and did the calculations, by hand.

not to say that it's totally horrible...but if you're going to use it, i would suggest having a pretty firm grip on whatever you're planning to use it for, beforehand. the software has a project startup wizard, which is nice...so long as you don't want or need to go back and make any changes. like if you want your time scale to be in days instead of hours. it also doesn't like it if you plan on working weekends and will come up with annoying error messages (it's not a workday, blah blah blah). also, i didn't like the aesthetics of the diagrams it generated.

but maybe other aspects of the software are better...i had pretty limited exposure to it, and that may have been the worst part of it. give it a try before you buy, if you can.

Harju.
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I'm learning MS Project currently. Oh, suckness.

jelena4me
Jan 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM
You have to remember that MS Project is a Project Management tool. its not a methodology. It can useful for certain projects, but most of the time Ive seen it used its a fairly useless and time consuming overhead.

My advice would be , if you do use it, keep it simple, decide up front what you expect to achieve by using it and dont do anything that doesnt contribute to that aim.

You really have to consider how complicated and large your project is before you decide what to do.

At the end of the day, its not the software you use, but the Project Management techniques that you adopt, and then how well you apply them, that will determine the success of the project. MS Project contributes very little to Project Management in that respect.

propi
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I was given some lessons about it early this year and it didn't seem too hard to use, however others who have been using it tell the opposite so :o

Hulet
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Two years ago, I worked with a software called MrProject to manage our design project. It was a bit buggy but was okay for our purpose since our project was a student project - it can manage Gant charts and timelines and that's all we needed. But, it might no suit your purposes.

GBFH
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:43 AM
You have to remember that MS Project is a Project Management tool. its not a methodology. It can useful for certain projects, but most of the time Ive seen it used its a fairly useless and time consuming overhead.

My advice would be , if you do use it, keep it simple, decide up front what you expect to achieve by using it and dont do anything that doesnt contribute to that aim.

You really have to consider how complicated and large your project is before you decide what to do.

At the end of the day, its not the software you use, but the Project Management techniques that you adopt, and then how well you apply them, that will determine the success of the project. MS Project contributes very little to Project Management in that respect.
excellent point :)

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:37 AM
OMG Griff..it's so funny that you asked...I can get you a copy of 2003 in the mail if you want...I am a member of the PMI Institute and I am taking the Project Management certification exam in March. Let me know if you need a copy of my cd...

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Got it on the 2003 Office professional but don't know what the hell to do with it :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:46 AM
It's all in being familiar with the PM Body of Knowledge. Thats the nuts and bolts of it. MS Projects just helps you to facilitate by providing a graphical time line, major milestones...etc.

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:49 AM
BTW, in order to take the exam and get the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, is to take a thirty five hour course...I start mine tomorrow...so much shit to study...the class aint even start yet and I have been studying my ass off...:scared:

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Very true...;)

griffin
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM

jelena4me - preaching
griffin - choir

;)

The heart of the issue is that Mr Whingie (boy who wants us to buy project management software) can't or won't give me anything more specific to go on than "freeware is too basic, Project is too complicated" :rolleyes: My suspicion is he can't cope with idea of learing something new (he'd been on the job 2 hours before he wanted to start reaggranging the file structure on our server because he didn't find it "intuitive" - forget that it made perfect sense to the rest of us. I'm not wedded to anything but I think you should figure out how something really works before declaring it broken)

Thanks for the advice, I am going to download the trial version and see if we can't find a way to simplify it.

patricio
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I've been told the Project is complex and not very user-friendly and Iím wondering if it's possible - if you don't need all the bells and whistles - to set it up so it's easier to use (I can get it dirt cheap through a discount program. We'd be able to get copies for my entire department for what my colleague wants to spend on a single copy of his pet software pick)
I work as a Project Lead in a big multi national company and MS Project is the software used everyday. It is easy to use and it keeps you updated on the activities done everyweek and follow ups. If you know how to use it its perfect.

jelena4me
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
jelena4me - preaching
griffin - choir

;)

Well, I am a project manager!

Ask the boss what he wants the software for. Is it mostly for planning projects up front, monotoring progress, resource control or recording time costs, or all four?

If you are gonna start doing all four things on it , youd better get to know what you are doing.

I have to say Ive found it most useful for advance planning, but some organisations have a great desire to see a computer producing wonderful looking plans.

I had an executive boss once who would believe whatever I told him about the project, provided I had a complicated looking MS Plan to back it up!! I could type in any old shit and he'd lap it up. But try doing that without a plan and they would ask 50,000 questions, and then not commit the resources you needed.

Largely, its a tool for complete bullshit. Focus on real project management.