PDA

View Full Version : For how long do you think mankind will exist?

GoDominique
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Vote!

Dave B
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hey guys! I have not been posting recently as I was trying to find something significant to write my 500th post about! :bounce:

That being said, I think humans will last forever, as our technology will allow us to outlive the solar system. I am a true optimist when it comes to faith in our species, and I think that despite some violent tendencies, people are good and capable of amazing things. I would like to think that this will carry us along for a long long time. Yes....500th post I get to write about my personal beliefs....awesome.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Define "mankind"? :)

Our successors will be around for millions of years but by a million years' time they may look, think and be very different from us. Looking back, they may think of us, in the 21st century, as merely their early precursors as we think of Homo erectus or Australopithecus. They won't be able to draw a sharp line as to an exact year when "they" came into being, but if they've changed drastically from us, and perhaps become much more cognitively and morphologically diverse (using genetic engineering, cyborgification or just plain biological evolution, or who-knows-what combination), they'll think we are thousands of years on the other side of the thick fuzzy line.

For the sake of voting, I'll give Homo sapiens - something like how we know it - 10,000 years.

switz
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM
yes it's really funny because i was thinking about this. specifically i was thinking about what kind of species could gain the upperhand over us. i think they will be x-men

!<blocparty>!
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Thats a good question, I kinda have this feeling we're gonna end up killing each other within the next 100 years with N Korea/China developing/developed nuclear weapons. I think things are going to turn pretty nasty if Im honest. Then again its only my opinion -we could last forever, but i doubt it.

GoDominique
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Define "mankind"? :)Direct descendants of all those lifeforms currently living on Earth known as human beings. :)

With this definition, I guess you should have voted different. Sorry for that. :)

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
:)

VeeDaQueen
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I really don't want to think about that. I just want to enjoy living right now :)

Chunchun
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I really don't want to think about that. I just want to enjoy living right now :)

IloveuElena! :wavey: I love ur name so much :banana:

VeeDaQueen
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:35 PM
IloveuElena! :wavey: I love ur name so much :banana:

kool :banana: I like your name :D LenaD rocks :rocker2:

Circe
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
i'd tell you but then i'd be accused of spreading doom and gloom again. if only people listened but nevermind.

Scotso
Jan 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM
10,000 years isn't enough time to really evolve much, Leopard.

I'd say man in a similar form will be around the next 10-100 million years. I don't think we're going to die out. Hopefully we'll evolve into something better ;)

tfannis
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I don't think mankind will survive another ice age...in fact I don't think mankind will make it to the next ice age...nuclear weapons, diseases or a metheor or all these things combined can whipe out the human race in the near future.

I voted 1000 years but my guess is 5000.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:35 PM

You're right. :) If we evolved only by natural selection it would take an indefinite time - maybe hundreds of thousands or even millions of years - to change much.

I said 10,000 years because I had to make a choice. It might only take 1000 years or it might take 100,000 but I do think we'll use technology to speed things up a lot. One way or another, I think we'll have changed drastically by a million years time, through some combination of evolution, genetic engineering, merging ourselves with computer technology, and technologies that I can't currently even imagine.

SzavayFi
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I dont know, I believe the world will end at the 2nd coming of christ, and i have no clue when that will be, but i put in about 1000 years.

canadian_bass_2
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Until the end of time? That's a bit excessive...look at what we've screwed up in the past 25,000 or so years...I think we've got MAYBE another 10,000 to go before we destroy the Earth.

Or maybe WE'LL become that extra-terrestrial life that roams from planet to planet, devouring all natural resources like they always show in the movies...wouldn't that be ironic. It wouldn't be evil, it would be for the good of mankind!!! :tape:

GBFH
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM
don't know.

even if it happens in my lifetime...i'll be dead...so i'm not bothered.

canadian_bass_2
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:14 AM

I think that in the past, evolution has taken a lot longer, because it's been a natural process. If you look at just over the past 100 years, while we haven't transformed into a new species, I think our body types are definitely starting to change at least a little. With all of the chemicals that we put into our bodies today, it wouldn't surprise me if in 10,000 years there was a new sub-species of human. We've already evolved from what we were when we first started out as a different species into a different sub-species of human, and we haven't been around all that long.

I personally don't think that we'll last all that long on earth, simply because we use so much waste, and no one seems to be doing anything that is effective enough to stop wars or pollution...*sigh*

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:24 AM
even if it happens in my lifetime...i'll be dead
:scratch: :D :kiss:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
^ I think I know what you mean, Amanda. ;)

GBFH
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM
:scratch: :D :kiss:
if mankind ceases to exist in my lifetime...i will no longer exist...hence, death.

:kiss:

GBFH
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM
^ I think I know what you mean, Amanda. ;)
excellent :devil:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:29 AM
It just sounded funny. :lol: :devil:

GBFH
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:31 AM
It just sounded funny. :lol: :devil:
that was my intention all along, you see...hmm...uh, yeah :lol:

Wigglytuff
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:42 AM
don't know.

even if it happens in my lifetime...i'll be dead...so i'm not bothered.

very good point

the mayans i think said that the world is to change/end dec 21, 2012. OUCH!!! with the way that we are seeing nukes grow in number & power its not hard to believe.