PDA

View Full Version : China's languages

Cassius
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I read ages ago that China has 3 official languages spoken in various parts of the country, and I know that 2 of them are Cantonese, and Mandaryn, what's the 3rd one called?

And does anyone which is the main languages, you know, which one the government uses?

Thanks!

Ting
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Mandarin is the official language. Cantonese is just a dialect really...dunno why they call it a language. It's not that different from Mandarin, they are the same when it comes to written Chinese.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM
yeahh it's just pronounced differently. i know the dialects are, cantonese, hokkien, hakka, teo chew. and there are more which different tribes speak..

Ekkekko
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I read ages ago that China has 3 official languages spoken in various parts of the country, and I know that 2 of them are Cantonese, and Mandaryn, what's the 3rd one called?

And does anyone which is the main languages, you know, which one the government uses?

Thanks! It's Mandarin not Mandaryn :p

Mandarin is a category of Chinese dialects spoken across most of northern and southwestern China. Standard Mandarin is the official spoken language of the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China, and one of the official spoken languages of Singapore.When taken as an independent language, as is often done in academic literature, Mandarin has more speakers than any other language.Like all other varieties of Chinese, there is plenty of dispute as to whether Mandarin is a language or a dialect. As with the concept of the Chinese language itself, the divisions between different "dialects" are mostly geographical rather than based on linguistic distance. So to answer your question, there are about 836 million people speaking Mandarin, followed by the Wu dialect of 77 million and Cantonese of 71 million speakers worldwide. The Wu dialect is not distinctly famous as compared with Cantonese and Mandarin as it's a dialect more commonly spoken in most of Zhejiang province, the municipality of Shanghai and southern Jiangsu province.

Vincent
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I am a master of Cantonese. :):):) But I don't know the answer of your question...:crying2:

Chunchun
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM
:lol:

Vincent
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM
:lol:
:retard:

Chunchun
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:25 PM
:retard:

:nerner:

Vincent