PDA

View Full Version : An all Russian Grand-Slam? Will a Russian player win the Australian Open?

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
The last three Grand Slams have been won by a Russian player. Myskina won the French Open, Sharapova Wimbledon and Kusnetzova U.S. Open. Will it be a fourth? What do you think?:)

daniela86
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
i think sharapova will win the oz open :) imo, she can beat anyone.
mauresmo is also a serious favourite but she can't manage to play her best in grand slam under stress. i think she doesn't like her status of favourite.

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM
The last three Grand Slams have been won by a Russian player. Myskina won the French Open, Sharapova Wimbledon and Kusnetzova U.S. Open. Will it be a fourth? What do you think?:)

Even IF a Russian player wins the AO - what has that to do with a "Grand Slam"?
:confused:

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Even IF a Russian player wins the AO - what has that to do with a "Grand Slam"?
:confused:As far as I know, it's a "Grand Slam" (in a calendar year or not) to win all four majors in a row.

KV
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Oizo probably means to win 4 consecutive GS's.

pinkfrog
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
i think its going to be sharapova. although i hope davenport has a really good run.

soos n the sis
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
As far as I know, it's a "Grand Slam" (in a calendar year or not) to win all four majors in a row.

that's true.

RenaSlam.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
I hope another Russian doesnt win a GS. Tennis was not exciting as previous years...the Belgians domination was more exciting than that, same with the WS, and then back in the Hingis/Davenport/upcoming Williams' era that included Monica too.

KV
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
I hope another Russian doesnt win a GS. Tennis was not exciting as previous years...the Belgians domination was more exciting than that, same with the WS, and then back in the Hingis/Davenport/upcoming Williams' era that included Monica too.At least the Russian's had THREE different GS winners. The WS's domination made it TWO not THREE, same with the Belgian domination.

katiektc
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
I hope Elena D wins it, but i have a sneaky suspician it wont be any russians.
maybe momo.
i hope im proved wrong!

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
I hope Elena D wins it, but i have a sneaky suspician it wont be any russians.

:yeah: I have the same feeling. :cool:

jimmyc
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Sharapova VS S Williams final and Sharapova to win!

Foot's Fingers
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Imagine: Panova vs Jidkova - AO Final 2005 :)

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
that's true.

It's wrong.
Only M. Navratilova. S. Williams and their minions think so ...

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
It's wrong to you maybe.

griffin
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
It's wrong.
Only M. Navratilova. S. Williams and their minions think so ...

A true Slam is a calendar Slam, but only obsessed freaks go out of their way to belittle the acheivement of 4 slams in a row and take pot-shots at people who use the term more casually. And I think most people understood what Oizo meant :wavey:

Belgium = Best
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
No? I don't know :shrug:

:wavey:

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
A true Slam is a calendar Slam, but only obsessed freaks go out of their way to belittle the acheivement of 4 slams in a row and take pot-shots at people who use the term more casually. And I think most people understood what Oizo meant :wavey:

When you point out that a Tier II tournament wins doesn't equal a Tier I win that doesn't mean that you belittle winning a Tier II. Or that you are an obsessed freak. A "Grand Slam" is winning all slams in the same calendar year. In the last 30 years that happened only once. 4 slam wins in a row happened 4 times.

BTW, since when is taking pot-shots unusual in GM?

lizchris
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
The last player to win a calendar year Grand Slam was Steffi Graf in 1988. The last player to win four straight Grand Slams but in two different years is Serena.

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
It's wrong to you maybe.

A hint: simply have a look into a good tennis encyclopedia.
There are 5 persons who won the GS: Budge, Laver (x2), Connolly, Court, Graf.
Case closed.

At your service.

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
The last player to win a calendar year Grand Slam was Steffi Graf in 1988. The last player to win four straight Grand Slams but in two different years is Serena.

There you are - Graf's GS is well remembered even today. Serena's 4 slams in a row already are known only to tennis experts ...

katiektc
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Did Agassi not win the grand slam too?

or am i wrong? :confused:

lizchris
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
There you are - Graf's GS is well remembered even today. Serena's 4 slams in a row already are known only to tennis experts ...
That's not true. Even people outside of tennis know that Serena has won all of the Grand Slams at least once. At least in America they do.

lizchris
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Did Agassi not win the grand slam too?

or am i wrong? :confused:He, like Serena, won the career Grand Slam. He won the French Open in 1999, the last of the Grand Slams he had yet to win.

katiektc
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
:yeah: get ya now

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
That's not true. Even people outside of tennis know that Serena has won all of the Grand Slams at least once. At least in America they do.

Well, even people outside of soccer know that Germany was 2nd in the last World Cup. At least in Germany they do. ;)

katiektc
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
And everyone outside of Germany knows they cant play football like they used to ;)

lizchris
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Well, even people outside of soccer know that Germany was 2nd in the last World Cup. At least in Germany they do. ;)
Soccer, unlike tennis, isn't that popular in America, so what's your point?

If you are trying to put down Serena's accomplishments, try again because no other active woman's player has achieved what she has achieved. And don't include Navatrilova because she is not an active singles player on the tour.

griffin
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
When you point out that a Tier II tournament wins doesn't equal a Tier I win that doesn't mean that you belittle winning a Tier II. Or that you are an obsessed freak. A "Grand Slam" is winning all slams in the same calendar year. In the last 30 years that happened only once. 4 slam wins in a row happened 4 times.

BTW, since when is taking pot-shots unusual in GM?

Who said it was unusual? And no, simply POINTING OUT the difference does not qualify as obsessive behavior, and if that was all you'd done...

;)

Volcana
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
The last three Grand Slams have been won by a Russian player. Myskina won the French Open, Sharapova Wimbledon and Kusnetzova U.S. Open. Will it be a fourth? What do you think?:)Well, it's damn near a fifty-fifty proposition isn't it? I'd give any of the top seven a more or less equal chance. And the next five a lesser chance. If you can get odds for taking Russia vs the rest of the field, take it.

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:25 PM
And everyone outside of Germany knows they cant play football like they used to ;)

No, everybody even in Germany knows that Germany failed miserably in the last World Cup. They didn't make the round of last-16 ....

katiektc
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
No, everybody even in Germany knows that Germany failed miserably in the last World Cup. They didn't make the round of last-16 ....

Take solice in the fact thats probably a few rounds better than Ireland did. :cool:

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
Soccer, unlike tennis, isn't that popular in America, so what's your point?

If you are trying to put down Serena's accomplishments, try again because no other active woman's player has achieved what she has achieved. And don't include Navatrilova because she is not an active singles player on the tour.

I never would put down Serena. In her summer-of-2002 form she was one of the best-ever who played the game. Almost as good as peak Navi or Graf. Better than peak Seles or Evert.
:worship:

lizchris
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
I never would put down Serena. In her summer-of-2002 form she was one of the best-ever who played the game. Almost as good as peak Navi or Graf. Better than peak Seles or Evert.
:worship:

OK, now that we got that straight, I agree with everything you said but that she was better than Seles at her peak. I think at her peak, Seles a a little better than Serena at hers.

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:30 PM
Take solice in the fact thats probably a few rounds better than Ireland did. :cool:

Since 1982 I've been rooting AGAINST the German team in World or European Cups. I'm in no way a sports nationalist. My lo ...., ehm, respect for Ms. Graf notwithstanding ...

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:32 PM
Who said it was unusual? And no, simply POINTING OUT the difference does not qualify as obsessive behavior, and if that was all you'd done...

;)
Yes. My intension was, when reffering to the GRAND-SLAM, by winning all four in the history. They are all called SLAMS. GRAND-SLAMS. And if you won all of them you won the GRAND-SLAM.
The Tennis-magazine pointed out once, that Martina Navratilova won the unofficial GRAND-SLAM. Of course if you look at it the obsessive way it's not at all the grand-slam. But people who got my idea know what I mean, cause they take it easy and are open minded.

:kiss: griffin

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
A hint: simply have a look into a good tennis encyclopedia.
There are 5 persons who won the GS: Budge, Laver (x2), Connolly, Court, Graf.
Case closed.

At your service.

You can keep you encyclopedia. I know some people got my point. Unfortunately you didn't.

améliemomo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
no russians for this GS :angel:

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
OK, now that we got that straight, I agree with everything you said but that she was better than Seles at her peak. I think at her peak, Seles a a little better than Serena at hers.

Well, Seles peaked 91/93 and again in 95/96. And she won 2 of 7 matches against the greatest-ever - not bad, of course. Maybe Serena could not have emulated this ...
:)

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
You can keep you encyclopedia. I know some people got my point. Unfortunately you didn't.

Tyranny and lawlessness often starts with imprecise wording ...

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Tyranny and lawlessness often starts with imprecise wording ...
not to mention missunderstanding...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
I voted no. But if it HAS to be a Russian, I'd want Myskina to take it. But I know she'd have a hard time beating Sharapova if they were to meet in a final.

Lemonskin.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
No way!

Alicia Molik :cool:

Calimero377
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
not to mention missunderstanding...

Don't misunderestimate me ...

Oizo
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Don't misunderestimate me ...
:haha:

glamorama
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I voted no. But if it HAS to be a Russian, I'd want Myskina to take it. But I know she'd have a hard time beating Sharapova if they were to meet in a final.

If a Sharapova v Myskina final were to happen, I think I'd back the girl with the 3-1 head-to-head record. Which would be Myskina.

rue
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:54 AM
I still think that coming into the Australian Open, Mauresmo and a healthy Lindsay are the two main favorites. You never know, also it depends on how Serena feels with her abdominal strain she got some time ago too. It is going to be real interesting.

Shoulderpova
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:34 AM
I'd like to watch Sveta playing Masha or Lena D playing Nastya in final :D

Prizeidiot
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Well, like half the draw is Russian, so it's a 50/50, so why not? We'll call it "The Russian Serena Slam - the grand slam which begins at the French and ends in Australia"

And who would I like in the final? I'll say Elena beating Myskina in a tough one just to give her confidence and prove she has strength of mind. Either that or a double bagel of Svetlana or Maria. No wait, even better, her beating Lina K, the comeback queen, in a 3 setter. Now I'm dreaming...

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 4th, 2005, 07:29 AM
well, the few people who i can see winning the AO is Anastasia Myskina, Maria Sharapova and Amelie Mauresmo. hopefully Anastasia can win the AO. and make it 4 gs for russia :D

10nisfanofruz
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I don't know about will it be all Russian GS because it is unpredictable just like last year.<Who would have thought that the russians will dominate the tour>
Thus, I just hope that a russian will win AO because I admire their determinations. :worship:

Daniel
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Nastya will win AO 2005 :D

DEETHELICK
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping it is a Russian Slam and that Elena D completes the quartet. She deserves it the most, but you have to win 7 matches, so start cracking Elena! :D

Calimero377
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Yes. My intension was, when reffering to the GRAND-SLAM, by winning all four in the history. They are all called SLAMS. GRAND-SLAMS. And if you won all of them you won the GRAND-SLAM.
The Tennis-magazine pointed out once, that Martina Navratilova won the unofficial GRAND-SLAM. Of course if you look at it the obsessive way it's not at all the grand-slam. But people who got my idea know what I mean, cause they take it easy and are open minded.

:kiss: griffin

Well, we could say Greece won the World Cup last summer. If we were open-minded ...
;)

Oizo
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
My vote was correct. The poll result proved it. :banana: :bounce: :yippee:

Chunchun
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:16 PM
So it's "no" now