PDA

View Full Version : People who used Accutane

RYNJ
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
How was your experiance with it? and for the people who are finished how does skin look now and how long since you stopped using accutane.

Ive been off accutane for 6 months now and my skin is good, but im getting most of my oils back and getting a few pimples :fiery: but still these pimples dont compare to what I use to get.

ZAK
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:54 AM
I'm on Accutane right now, I have 4 weeks to go. My skin is clear, and quite interested to see what will happen once I'm off it.

i heart backhand
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:00 AM
I was on Accutane for 18 months. My skin reacted so much more to it than anything else I'd ever tried. I had a lot of trouble with excessive dryness while I was on the medication and for a few weeks after I came off, but I've been off for nearly 6 months now. My skin hasn't looked better since I was a kid!

Not much else to say, other than I'd recommend it to anyone who's questioning it. Consult dermy, first, of course.

ZAK
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:25 AM
18 months? Wow I don't think I could bare it that long.

Lee-Waters' Boy
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:37 AM
i took it for like 2 years and never had any side effects..then i went away to college and kind of stopped coz it was a pain for my mom to send it. my face is fine now , id definitely recommend it

ashwu
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:17 AM
i read somewhere it will do harm to pregnant woman and cause deformity child. and also has side effects may make people crazy and cause suicide.

ZAK
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:19 AM
i read somewhere it will do harm to pregnant woman and cause deformity child. and also has side effects may make people crazy and cause suicide.
It does cause birth defects, and isn't given to pregnant women. Making people crazy, not so much

yukon145
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:23 AM
i've read it works well in low dosage for the treatment of the skin condition rosacea. does anyone use it for this, or know anything about it?

ZAK
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
i've read it works well in low dosage for the treatment of the skin condition rosacea. does anyone use it for this, or know anything about it?
I found: http://rosacea.ii.net/hl/1096.html
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/dermatology/archive/116.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/medicine/rosacea/

So basically it helps, but isn't necessarily a long term solution

Seles2002
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Accutane is the best thing that ever happened to me. I have been off it for a year now and my skin is doing great I just love it. I don;t have to worry about it anymore. My advice to you is to make sure you buy a cleanser, toner, and moisteriser to use daily once your off the Accutane to keep your skin looking healthy. Good Luck!

andrew_uk
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:34 PM
We call this drug 'Roaccutane' in the UK. Anyway, I was on it for 4 months and it's been a miracle cure for me.

To begin with, I used to go to the doctors to get medication, and after changing medicines a number of times, none of them worked, so I was referred to a dermatologist. She spoke to me about the drug, and highly recommended it to me. We then discussed all the hype that the media have made, for example it's links to depression and suicide. After our discussion, I was told to go away and think about it, and I would see her a week later.

My mum was paranoid about it! She was really against me using it at first, because it's a very strong drug and you have to avoid sunlight as much as you can. Anyway, I decided I would give it a go. First of all I was put on a small dosage (the dose you are given is in proportion to your weight as the drug is strong). After a month of being on a low dosage, I had no bad side effects, so my dosage was doubled and I took it for another 3 months after that. I had to see the dermatologist each month, and have a blood test because it can increase your fat levels. Everything was fine. Most people who take it, get very very dry lips and this was my worst side effect. It also dries your skin so you will need a moisturiser as well as lip balm.

Anyway, my huge fear was that the spots would come back, and they never did. Now and then, I will only get a tiny tiny pimple which is nothing, everyone gets the odd pimple now and then anyway.

Roaccutane was a life saver for me, and I recommend anyone to take it :)

Dahveed
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
I took that drug too like 6 years ago or so and it was pretty new at the time. It did miracles to me, so much i never got any spots since then. It's a harsh treatment though, my lips were so dry they used to bleed and i keep using a lip balm cos it seems the dryness effects never went away lol. And yeah i used to literally burn when exposed to the sun, it was quite unbearable. But if you have skin problems, don't hesitate, don't lose your time with stupid treatments you see on TV cos i can assure you they never work!

Rocketta
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
My sister took it and it does have seriously crazy side effects....She said she wasn't suicidal but she was homicidal while on it. She had to get off because it effected her personality to negatively. She quit her job while on it and didn't want to work or leave the house.

Also, I read an article where Accutane is one of 5 drugs that the FDA is looking at closely to see if they need to pull it. So I think there might be something to the rumors that it makes people depressed and suicidal. :unsure:

Rocketta
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Accutane rules concern doctors

By DEANNA FLEISCHMANN, Journal Staff Writer

MARQUETTE - The Food and Drug Administration is watching those who prescribe, distribute or consume the acne drug Accutane but not closely enough, according to U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak.

The FDA in November decided that doctors prescribing, pharmacists dispensing and patients taking Accutane, known chemically as isotretinoin, will be registered in a central database. The FDA made the move after Accutane was listed among five drugs that remain on the market despite safety concerns.

Stupak, D-Menominee, has a personal connection to the drug's side effects.

"My son died on Accutane," Stupak said.

Bart Stupak Jr., known to friends as B.J., died in May 2000 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Stupak believes that Accutane increases the chance of depression and that families aren't being protected.

"I was in Washington November 15, 16 and 17 and I talked with three other families about their sons who died on Acctuane," Stupak said.

Under the FDA's new management plan, women of childbearing age must prove they're not pregnant before a pharmacy can dispense the drug. Stupak's main concern is the number of pregnancies exposed to Accutane.

"You're supposed to have two negative pregnancy tests before you get the drug, yet there are about 2,000 babies exposed to Accutane each year," Stupak said.

This is not the first time Accutane has been restricted. In April of 2002, the drug's manufacturer, Hoffmann-LaRoche, implemented the System to Manage Accutane Related Teratogenicity. SMART was designed to link a negative pregnancy test with each prescription. Physicians were required to affix a qualification sticker with the date of the test to the prescription. Patients were instructed to use two forms of contraception and pharmacists must fill the prescription within seven days.

Marquette dermatologist Dr. Dennis Herzog said pregnancy education should be stressed, rather than more restrictions put on the drug.

"I think education is the big thing because there are already these restrictions, so how else are we supposed to get less exposures?" Herzog said.

Herzog added that heavier restrictions on the drug will force more doctors to stop prescribing it.

"You know, we already have to follow all these procedures, it takes up to four visits before I can put someone on the drug there's so many hoops to jump through and that's just more costly for them (patients)," Herzog said. "If they restrict it more I might just stop using it, which is sad because it's without a doubt the most effective drug that I have used in dermatology. There are side effects but there are side effects for any acne drug."

Dr. Milton Soderberg, another dermatologist in Marquette, agreed with Herzog.

"We're all upset by the Stupak tragedy and I explain it to my patients on Accutane, but at the same time it is a miracle drug," Soderberg said. "We've (dermatologists) been using it for 20 years and most of us feel we'd be strapped without it." A congressional hearing to discuss future restrictions on Accutane is expected to be held in January.

http://www.miningjournal.net/news/story/1217202004_new02-n1217.asp

i heart backhand
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM
It didn't make me suicidal, but I did have temporary mood swings on it. There's also potential for liver damage. I think they warn you not to drink while on it, but I can't remember.

18 months was hell. But the last year or so I was only on it every other day and then eventually just twice a week--then just twice a month. Then none!

slice
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:15 AM
well ive been on roaccutane (same shit but aussie brand i think :p) but i went on low-dose so i didnt get an outbreak at all :D but excessive dry skin was always a pain in the butt, but after i finished it after like 10 months i havent had a pimple since... my acne was never that bad but the other drugs i was on didnt work so i just went on it...

weird ryan that u r getting pimples agen so soon after being off it, maybe u shuld go c ya doctor and ask y or sumthin?

:)

Seles2002
Jan 4th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I think most of the pople who complian of suicidal thoughts, depression and mood swings as a result of taking the drug had these symptons before they even took the drug in the first place.

Cry lips was the only effect the drug had on me and i mean in return for getting good skin it was definitely worth it. Also at first I think it makes you a little tired. I didn't really get any sunburn or anything as a result of it either.

RYNJ
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Yea I didnt feel suicidal at all. i had dry lips and occasional nose bleeds. I was in the sun all the time because of tennis and didnt get any sunburn maybe it was because I wore sunscreen.

Accutane gave me a lot of confidence with myself I actually looked at people eye to eye instead of looking down. And some pimples probably liek 2 or 3, but by all means are they as big as they were before. These are pretty small so I dont really make a big fuss. But im sure everyone can relate that since accutane at one point gave you clear skin and when u get off it you see even the smallest pimple you freak out because you gottten use to the clear skin. I'd rather have 2-3 small spots than those big pimples that hurt really bad.

Rocketta
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I think most of the pople who complian of suicidal thoughts, depression and mood swings as a result of taking the drug had these symptons before they even took the drug in the first place.

Cry lips was the only effect the drug had on me and i mean in return for getting good skin it was definitely worth it. Also at first I think it makes you a little tired. I didn't really get any sunburn or anything as a result of it either.
Yeah that's the ticket.....blame the people for being suicidal anyway....It's the peoples fault, they were crazy to begin with....:retard:

Dahveed
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I guess all the other users of this drug committed suicide then :retard: geez, i'd have if i had kept that nasty acne :p

Scotso
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:43 PM
My acne wasn't too bad but I went on accutane anyway. I had pretty nasty side effects. I got really bad infections and nearly ended up in the hospital twice.

I wouldn't not recomment it, but... eh. I still haven't gotten my oils back... heh. I don't get much acne at all anymore. I guess it helped, but it was a real pain while I was on it.

Like Dahveed, my skin was so dry all the time. I had to keep my body covered in lotion or I would crack anytime I moved.

Rocketta
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I guess all the other users of this drug committed suicide then :retard: geez, i'd have if i had kept that nasty acne :pso if everyone else does not get the side effect then the side effect isn't real? How does the fact that not everyone gets suicidal change the possibility that it may make people suicidal as a side effect? Also, I guess the fact that not everyone gets dry lips enough to bleed on their own means the people who do only get them because they had that problem before taking Accutane. :confused:

btw, I don't know if it's a side effect or not but I do know they are looking closely at it.

I've never taken it. I have acne that flared up in my 30's but I'll live with it.