PDA

View Full Version : Christian right's compassion deficit

Infiniti2001
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Bill Berkowitz - WorkingForChange
12.30.04 - It took President Bush three days to ready himself to go before the television cameras and make a public statement about Sunday's devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck southern Asia. Even though he was late, and much more money will be needed, the president pledged at least $35 million in aid to the victims of the disaster. But, as of December 30, some of the president's major family-values constituents have yet to be heard from: It's business as usual at the web sites of the American Family Association, the Family Research Council, the Christian Coalition, Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, and the Coral Ridge Ministries.
These powerful and well-funded political Christian fundamentalist organizations appear to be suffering from a compassion deficit. Organizations which are amazingly quick to organize to fight against same-sex marriage, a woman's right to choose, and embryonic stem cell research are missing in action when it comes to responding to the disaster in southern Asia. None of their web sites are actively soliciting aid for the victims of the earthquake/tsunami.
In fact, there is no mention of the giant earthquake and tsunami that devastated southern Asia. There are no headlines about the dead, injured or the tremendous damage; there are no urgent appeals for donations; there are no phone numbers to call; there are no links to organizations collecting money and providing aid for the victims.
Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India and Thailand were among the countries hardest hit by the 9.0 magnitude earthquake, which sent huge waves that smashed boats, uprooted trees and destroyed structures from Malaysia to Africa, the Associated Press (AP) reported. As of Thursday, the death toll had soared to more than 114,000, millions were homeless from the disaster, and many more were still unaccounted for.
The web sites of the same organizations that organized a campaign to block Arlen Specter from ascending to the chairmanship of Senate Judiciary Committee within hours of his post-election night warning to President Bush about radically conservative judicial nominees are now silent.
At the Reverend Donald Wildmon's Mississippi-based American Family Association (AFA) web site, the preferred cause -- and top story -- concerns the upcoming battle over the president's judicial appointees. The AFA hasn't forgotten about gays and lesbians: Under the headline "P&G Chairman Gives Thousands to Promote Homosexual Agenda" the AFA claims that "A.G. Lafley, CEO of Procter & Gamble, recently gave $5,163 in P&G stock to help the homosexual community repeal a law in Cincinnati that prohibited giving special rights to homosexuals."
The web site also salutes the Rev. Wildmon for being named one of "10 Who Made a Mark on Marketing" in 2004, featured in the December 20 issue of Advertising Age.
"Like him or hate him, this family-values crusader is having a big impact on marketing," the magazine states. "Although his American Family Association has been around for more than 20 years, the influence of Wildmon's group, which targets advertisers in TV shows it finds offensive via its 200,000-strong One Million Moms and One Million Dads e-mail network, is growing. Most recently, AFA convinced Lowe's and Tyson to pull their advertising from ABC's hottest new property, 'Desperate Housewives.'"
As of Wednesday evening I hadn't received any e-mail alerts regarding the earthquake from either the One Million Moms or the One Million Dads. The "current issue" at One Million Moms and Dads is a campaign to get the Burlington Coat Factory to cease advertising on "Life as We Know It" and "Desperate Housewives," television programs the AFA finds objectionable.
Over at the Family Research Council's web site, the powerful Washington, DC,-based family-values lobbying group is outraged that Christians are getting cheated out of Christmas, with two stories, "Is the Grinch Stealing Christmas?" and "Merry BAH HUMBUG-mas!" focusing on this. There are no alerts about the earthquake/tsunami.
At the Christian Coalition's (CC) web site, the organization's president, Roberta Combs, is busy thanking CC supporters for their "time and effort in getting millions of Christian Coalition voter guides (English & Spanish) distributed to your family, friends, churches, Christian bookstores and neighborhoods all across America."
Family.org, the web site of Dr. James Dobson's Colorado Springs, Colorado-based multi-media mega-ministry, Focus on the Family, is all over the map with its features: From messages to "remember Focus on the Family in your year-end giving," to helpful hints on how to survive Christmas without "The Lord of the Rings," to movie reviews of "Fat Albert" (thumbs up), "The Aviator (thumbs down), "Meet the Fockers" (a disappointed thumbs down), and "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (a reluctant thumbs up).
First and foremost, Concerned Women for America (CWA) wants you to know "The Truth About Alfred Kinsey." The twenty-five year-old organization, which bills itself as "the nation's largest public policy women's organization," is also offering a "Special Christmas Feature" from Dr. Beverly LaHaye, founder of the organization, and Dr. Janice Crouse. But not a word on the earthquake/tsunami.
Coral Ridge Ministries (CRM), Dr. D. James Kennedy's Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based operation, is also looking in other directions. At its web site there are advertisements for the CRM's upcoming Reclaiming America For Christ Conference, which will be held in mid-February, and for several of Dr. Kennedy's sermons.
At townhall.com, the mother of all conservative web sites and "the first truly interactive community on the Internet to bring Internet users, conservative public policy organizations, congressional staff, and political activists together under the broad umbrella of 'conservative' thoughts, ideas and actions," current headlines are totally absent earthquake/tsunami news. Here are the top five stories as of December 29: "Reggie White, defender of faith -- on and off the field"; "Focus should shift from testing to teaching"; "False friends"; "Cheap drugs or safe drugs?"; and "European court forces Microsoft to alter its products."
Over at falwell.com, the Rev. Jerry Falwell is explaining "The True Meaning of Christmas," recruiting for his new organization, The Moral Majority Coalition, and soliciting cruisers for a late July sojourn aboard the Queen Mary II.
While many Christian evangelical organizations have rushed to help the victims, why aren't the nation's major religious right political groups -- quick to claim the moral high-ground at every opportunity -- putting their organizational muscle to good use? Why hasn't the devastation from the earthquake/tsunami been on the radar screens of these groups? Are they all on a values vacation?
(c) 2004 Working Assets Online. All rights reserved

Why am I not surprised?? Hypocrites :tape:

kiwifan
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:27 AM
I'm sure the same people would complain of an evil Christian agenda should conservative Christians mobilize in great numbers and head over there, hypocrites are the loudest voices on both sides of this debate. :p :devil: :p

I don't recall a great deal of international concern over the US's natural disaster or barrels of $$$ and aid being directed our way...and yet the US is the most generous nation on Earth when other countries endure natural disasters.

I love all the self serving lame attacks/grand standing going on...

...you (and the author) should be ashamed, using this horrible crisis to push your agenda of hatred. :lol: :tape:

Shame, Shame, Shame.

lakeway11
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
I love all the self serving lame attacks/grand standing going on...

...you (and the author) should be ashamed, using this horrible crisis to push your agenda of hatred. :lol: :tape:

Shame, Shame, Shame.

yes shame, especially in light when there are thousands upon thousands of Christian charity organizations that help the poor & needy on a daily basis...speaking of the topics on those sites, i'll have to check out the helpful hints on how to survive Christmas without "The Lord of the Rings"

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Over in Sweden, they're calling on Right-wing Christian fundamentalist nutjob Laila Freivalds (http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,335166,00.html) to resign for not being quick enough to do anything in response to the disaster.

Scotso
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
These Christians don't care about Buddhists and Muslims ;)

griffin
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:17 PM
..and yet the US is the most generous nation on Earth when other countries endure natural disasters.

Only if you look soley at the total. If you look at the amount donated per capita, or as a percentage of GNP...we don't always look so hot.

That said, if your organization's mission isn't providing aid or assistance or relief, it really is better not to get in the way of groups who do. The Family Research Council and their ilk aren't in business to help people in these sorts of situations, and shouldn't be criticized for it.

They deserve to be criticized (if not afflicted with locusts and boils) for what they do do, but that's another thread :)

Volcana
Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:31 PM
'Compassion deficit'. How nice. I admit, I'd have called it 'If they aren't White Christians we don't care', but 'Compassion Deficit' IS shorter. And I CAN think on non-race related reasons for this response. But they're actually even uglier. Like, 'it was an act of God, so they must have deserved it'.

Scotso
Jan 4th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Or "It's okay for us to get drunk and molest little boys, but don't you dare give those sodomitic gays the right to marry... God would punish you for that"

jelena4me
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:56 AM
I believe you Infiniti, I think many of these right wing christian organisations are appalling.I think the Salvation Army tries hard and has real honest motives in the work they do (although I cant agree with thier beliefs).

But there is too much of the "our religion is right" attitude that you describe.

The BBC has this interesting article, which I thought amusing.

"The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, said the disaster, in which at least 140,000 have died, could well test people's faith in God.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

But he said the "extraordinary fact" was that belief survived such tests "

Extraordinary indeed!!

Full article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4140545.stm

Mariangelina
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM
No, they shouldn't be holding up the entire relief effort, but it's inexcusable for any group that calls itself religious and compassionate to totally ignore a massive amount of suffering and loss of life. "Compassion deficit" would be a good term; so would "God must have been trying to smite these nonChristian nonwhite heathens, it's a sin to interfere with his will!" At least they could ask members of their organization to donate money to the relief effort or something. This is totally unsurprising, but it's still disappointing.

Sam L
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
'Compassion deficit'. How nice. I admit, I'd have called it 'If they aren't White Christians we don't care', but 'Compassion Deficit' IS shorter. And I CAN think on non-race related reasons for this response. But they're actually even uglier. Like, 'it was an act of God, so they must have deserved it'.
Volcana what you said exactly right. "If they're not white christians, we don't care". That's exactly their attitudes. Hypocrites.

Infiniti, thanks for posting this.

Watch as the Christian right on this board shys away from this shame. Morons.

nash
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Are you saying that all conservative Christians are white? Surely you must know that's not the case. Do you have data to prove that white Christians are giving less than other Christians? If not, then your post is inaccurate and racially discriminatory.

Infiniti2001
Jan 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Volcana what you said exactly right. "If they're not white christians, we don't care". That's exactly their attitudes. Hypocrites.

Infiniti, thanks for posting this.

Watch as the Christian right on this board shys away from this shame. Morons.

Anytime my dear... So-called evangelists like falwell, robertson et al are swine. Apologies to the actual swine. :o They don't care about humans--- and they don't give two shits about fetuses they shout about all time either :fiery:

Volcana
Jan 5th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Are you saying that all conservative Christians are white?If so, there are so extremely dark white people in my family.:)Do you have data to prove that white Christians are giving less than other Christians?Not a shred.If not, then your post is inaccurate and racially discriminatory.While my post may be both 'inaccurate and racially discriminatory', whether or not I have data on how much white Christians are 'giving' in general, in relation to non-white Christians doesn't bear on my post. My quote, and I thought, and still think, this was quite clear, related specifically to the organizations citing in the article in the initial post. The American Family Association, the Family Research Council, the Christian Coalition, Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, and the Coral Ridge Ministries, as reflected in their websites.

If you think my post was 'inaccurate' and/or 'racially discriminatory', you must look to other data. I did not comment about 'giving' by white Christians as a group. Most 'white Christians', a group totaling hundreds of millions worldwide, are certainly NOT represented by these organizations.

Volcana
Jan 5th, 2005, 11:04 PM
I had honestly been pleased that none of the more celebrated members of 'American Extreme Christianity' ('Christian Right' is a bit generic, wouldn't you say?) had out claim the tsunami was caused by abortion and homosexuality. Then I checked out the latest 'Scarborough Country'. I posted exerpts in another thread. Here's how Jennifer Giroux the director of 'Women Influencing the Nation (http://www.seethepassion.com/leadership.php)' answered the question 'How can a merciful God allow such disaster and suffering?'

Throughout history and reported early in the Bible, God has always used plagues, floods and natural disasters as a source of punishment.
One can talk about a sad lost generation over there in the disaster going on in Asia. We have a lost generation of 40 million aborted babies in this country that is being ignored by so many people. I believe that this situation that happens makes all of us look inward, realize God is ultimately in control of life and death.

Look at what we're looking with just in this country with cloning, homosexuality, trying to make homosexual marriages, abortion, lack of God in the schools, taking Jesus out of Christmas. I can't pretend to know the mind of God. But, historically, there have been warnings. And God, who is all-loving and all-good, and he will not be mocked.There's more, and it's not all as irrational as the above. And in fairness, my existence must be as offensive to her as her's is frightening to me.

flyingmachine
Jan 5th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Thanx Infiniti2001 :worship: well this articule sums up about these right wing christian groups. :o

nash
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Franklin Graham's Samaritan's Purse organization is most definitely helping.

Wigglytuff
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
hey griffin, howdy.

ok i think you are right, but i remember reading that japan is giving $500mill to the US's $350, this is even more surprising when japan's pop is half that of the US pop. however these are OLD numbers a week ago i tihink so i dont know if any more money has been plegded.

Only if you look soley at the total. If you look at the amount donated per capita, or as a percentage of GNP...we don't always look so hot.

That said, if your organization's mission isn't providing aid or assistance or relief, it really is better not to get in the way of groups who do. The Family Research Council and their ilk aren't in business to help people in these sorts of situations, and shouldn't be criticized for it.

They deserve to be criticized (if not afflicted with locusts and boils) for what they do do, but that's another thread :)

lakeway11
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:20 PM
it takes a disaster such as this to hear ALL the economic no-nothings coming out of the closet...

griffin
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM
japan is giving $500mill to the US's $350, this is even more surprising when japan's pop is half that of the US pop.

Exactly.