PDA

View Full Version : Ten-year-old saves 100 from tsunami

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
From the Telegraph, UK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/01/ugeog.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/01/01/ixportaltop.html)

A 10-year-old girl saved her family and 100 other tourists from the Asian tsunami because she had learnt about the giant waves in a geography lesson, it has emerged.

Tilly Smith, from Oxshott, Surrey, was holidaying with her parents and seven-year-old sister on Maikhao beach in Phuket, Thailand, when the tide rushed out.

As the other tourists watched in amazement, the water began to bubble and the boats on the horizon started to violently bob up and down.

Tilly, who had studied tsunamis in a geography class two weeks earlier, quickly realised they were in danger.

She told her mother they had to get off the beach immediately and warned that it could be a tsunami.

She explained she had just completed a school project on the huge waves and said they were seeing the warning signs that a tsunami was minutes away.

jimbo mack
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
wow! clever for 10

Hayato
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:47 PM
good on her! :worship:

beauty_is_pink
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:19 PM
she deserves an award man!
cute girl! :hug:

SzavayFi
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Good Job Kiddo! :dance:

Wiggly
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
I hope she will got an awards :eek: :worship:

Savin 1 person is :eek: :worship:, savin 100 persons, you need to be a God!
I will listen in geography class now! My teahcer will speaks of that I'm sure lol

MisterQ
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:18 AM
That's great that she remembered what she had learned and had the presence of mind to do something. :worship:

Here's a more extensive write-up:

10 Year Old Girl Saves
Dozens From Tsunami
The Sun - UK
1-1-5
PHUKET, Thailand - Quick-thinking 10-year-old Tilly Smith is being hailed as a hero after saving her parents and dozens of fellow vacationers from the deadly tsunami - thanks to a school geography lesson.
Tilly warned the doubting adults at a resort that a massive tidal wave was about to strike - just minutes before the deadly tide rushed in and turned the resort into rubble.
Tilly's family, from Surrey, England, was enjoying a day at Maikhao Beach last Sunday when the sea rushed out and began to bubble.
The adults were curious, but Tilly froze in horror.
"Mummy, we must get off the beach now!" she told her mother.
"I think there's going to be a tsunami."
The adults didn't understand until Tilly added the magic words:
"A tidal wave."
Her warning spread like wildfire. Within seconds, the beach was deserted - and it turned out to be one of the only places along the shores of Phuket
where no one was killed or seriously injured.
Last night, Tilly was being hailed as a savior.
"I think it's phenomenal that Tilly's parents and the others on the beach are alive because she studied hard at school," said Craig Smith , the American manager of the JW Marriott Hotel where Tilly's family was staying.
He said a tsunami is not like you see in the movies, where a huge wave wells up on the horizon and can be seen for miles off shore.
It is more like a sudden surge of water," he said. "There's very little warning.
She's a hero."
Tilly shrugged off the attention and modestly said, "Last term, my geography teacher, Mr. Kearney, taught us about earthquakes and how they can cause tsunamis.
"I was on the beach, and the water started to go funny.
"I recognized what was happening and had a feeling there was going to be a tsunami."
"When the water went back, I was like most people on the beach. I wanted to walk down and look at what was going on," she recalled. "It was only when Tilly explained what she thought was going to happen that I had second thoughts.
"We ran off the beach as fast as we could and went to the first floor of the hotel where it would be safe. Minutes later the water surged right over the beach and demolished everything in its path.
"It was terrifying to watch but I'm very proud of her."
The Sun newspaper

http://www.rense.com/general61/tele.htm

GermanBoy
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:21 AM
WOW! I am impressed! :worship: Hope, she will be honored!

Doraemon
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:06 AM
I would have stopped the tsumamis.

Oleh
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:23 AM
Education, Education, Education! ...and more Education, Alarm systems cost often too much (In lives and money for poor nations)...word of mouth, posters etc cost much less. Recognizing early signs, tourist and local alike would have saved many.
Its our world, we need to know how it can endanger us or it will kill us and our ignorance!

**pop quizz, a natural disaster by means of a volcanic eruption occurs, what do you do? (If your going to go any near one you should now learn, just as I will when I go to the beach re: Tsunamis!)

lakeway11
Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:18 PM
all one had to do is watch the animals---they all fled to safety cuz they knew what was going to happen...

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
I don't live near any active volcanoes, Oleh.

We do have an active Volcana (http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=371) around, though. :)

Oleh
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
I don't live near any active volcanoes, Oleh.

We do have an active Volcana (http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=371) around, though. :)

And thats probably what all the tourists said about the sea and idea about Tsunamis;)
Also why I said "if you plan on going"...
If you travel, learn. Dont be arrogant or it can cost you your life.

Lol, yes I know how to deal the Mount Volcana's erruptions! :p ;) :D

Poppy Corn
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
It is always warming to the heart to hear nice stories like that among all the tragedies going on

jenny161185
Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
yeah I hear about this great story :)

Justin
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Wow! A hero with a story to tell for a lifetime.

Vincent
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Her story has been widely broadcasting, I am proud of her. :)

flyingmachine
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Well Done girl. :yeah:

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
good for her! she's so smart! i feel stupid alreadyy. haha!

daniela86
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:53 PM
It is always warming to the heart to hear nice stories like that among all the tragedies going on
exaclty. this girl should be awarded,that's sure,she have done a miracle :worship: :worship: :worship: i respect her a lot! :worship:

Dolphin
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
That is AWESOME!! Good for her!! :yeah: :bounce: :bounce:

I was in Hawaii when I was little & learned about Tsunami's & how the water can rush WAY out to sea before they hit. I would have been scared & tried to get everyone off the beach just like her. Great job she did saving all those people! :D

This link has a picture of her & her parents. I hope I link it correctly

Tilly Smith & Parents (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004610510,00.html)