PDA

View Full Version : who's better jennifer or lindsey

hello1087
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM
if you look at there results in slams there about the same this year the only difference is that lindsey has a lot more titles this year and in her career. basically they have the same stuff going on in there career highlights also( i think) so who do u think has more talent i guess.

SzavayFi
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM
Probaply Lindsay.

RenaSlam.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:52 AM
Lindsay. They have pretty similar results though. Lindsay has almost 3x as many titles as Jennifer. Lindsay has over 40 titles, whereas Jennifer has about 15 or so.

JenFan75
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM
I'm a big fan of both, but I would have to say Lindsay. She has accomplished just as much as Jen and a little bit more.

Andrew.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Lindsay by far. They both have three singles slams, but other than that Lindsay pretty much leads in about everything. Lindsay also has two slam singles finals, has held the number one ranknig for many more weeks, has more than twice as many singles titles, a better W-L percentage, and their H2H is very unbalanced in Lindsay's favor. In addition, Lindsay has achieved far more in doubles.

hello1087
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
Lindsay by far. They both have three singles slams, but other than that Lindsay pretty much leads in about everything. Lindsay also has two slam singles finals, has held the number one ranknig for many more weeks, has more than twice as many singles titles, a better W-L percentage, and their H2H is very unbalanced in Lindsay's favor. In addition, Lindsay has achieved far more in doubles.

Ya but who has more talent if they were to play each other who would win.

Andrew.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
Ya but who has more talent if they were to play each other who would win. Lindsay. She has only lost to Capriati three times in twelve matches, and one of those times she was forced to retire.

Fingon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
who is Lindsey?

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
who is Lindsey?
Lindsey Buckingham. Plays guitar with Fleetwood Mac. :smoke:

jimbo mack
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
i'd definitely say lindsay

Doraemon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
It's a no brainer. Linsday is better in just every department there is in tennis.

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
jen

jrm
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Classy Lindsay is always better than Jailbird Jenny

Doraemon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM
Had the age restriction been applied when Jennifer debuted or rather if Linsday had debuted as youngas Jen did, we wouldn't be talking about Jen a bit.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Judging from this post it's a pity that her fans aren't as classy as the lady herself. :smoke:

Classy Lindsay is always better than Jailbird Jenny

Lindsita
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
Jennifer is THE BEST!!!

rightous
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Well all the statistics say Lindsay so thats good enough for me, Jen wins on fighting abilities thou

englishjenfan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Jennnnnnnnnnnnn

pinkfrog
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Lindsay All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blumaroo
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Lindsay dohhhh

sparkyslave1
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Of course Jenny baby

DEETHELICK
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:19 PM
Jen is my fave, but Lindsay has definitely accomplished more.

History will remember Jennifer more, however Lindsay's achievements will always make her shine :)

sartrista7
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
I note that all the people saying 'Jen' have not offered up a single bit of evidence between them :lol:

_Cell-chuk
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Lindsay has definitely achieved more in her career. I think Jen could have achieved a lot more. But still when both play at their best, I think Jen can win (Aus Open 2001 SF).

tennis4you-com
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
I will have to go with Lindsey on this one... She strikes the ball so cleanly, if only she was faster she would totally dominate so much more. WAAAAAAAAY to slow, what a tradegy for her.

Scott Baker
Tennis4you.com

Volcana
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Lindsay has definitely achieved more in her career. I think Jen could have achieved a lot more. But still when both play at their best, I think Jen can win (Aus Open 2001 SF).When Jenn is playing he best, she CAN beat just about anybody. But that doesn't mean she WILL. She plays her best so infrequently her wins are almost flukey. They are NOT flukes, buy any means, but her accomplishments are vastly less than her talent, in my opinion. She has fewer career wins than any GS winner over age 23, save Iva Majoli. (Well, since 1980. There is, and will always be, Chris O'Neill)

Lindsay's been Year-End #1 three times. She's vastly the more consistent player, which is why she has three times as many career tournament wins. Jenn, at her absolute best, is rarely ever THE best.

Look at Jenn's career wins vs her ranking. It's a rare thing for the #3 player in the world to win only one tournament in a year. Jenn's ended the year in the top ten with one or zero tournament wins SIX times.

year - rk - wins
2004 - #10 - no tournament wins
2003 - #06 - 1 win
2002 - #03 - 1 win (GS)
2001 - #02 - 3 wins (2 GS and a Tier I)
2000 - #14 - 1 win
1999 - #23 - 2 wins

1994-1998 - (I'm willing to ignore that period)

1993 - #09 - 1 win
1992 - #07 - 2 wins
1991 - #06 - 2 wins
1990 - #08 - 1 win

I don't think Jenn has quite as much skill OR talent as Lindsay. Lindsay serves better, first and second. Lindsay aims for the lines and still keeps her UEs down. Jenn always (well 90% of the time) hits several feet inside the lines. Jenn had better court coverage, but Lindsay volleys better.

When her fitness is at it's peak, Jenn is almost impossible to get a ball past. But her fitness SO rarely at its peak. Lindsay seems to have found, the last three or four years, a way to control her weight consistently.

*Jool*
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Volcana :worship:

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
Well,if you leave aside her relative lack of mobility NOBODY among the current players has as much talent or skill as Lindsay. But if you were able to beat Navritalova at Wimbledon,play one of the best matches in history against a nearly unbeatable Seles at the US Open and win an Olympic gold against Graf before you have even reached the age of 17 like Jen has done I think it's safe to say that she is extremely talented and has plenty of skill as well. :smoke:

I don't think Jenn has quite as much skill OR talent as Lindsay.

jrm
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
When Jenn is playing he best, she CAN beat just about anybody.

That's relative - if you are going to look at that way than Serena, Venus, Kim, Justine, Lindsay at her best can beat anyone. You cannot look one one way :rolleyes:

JenCpLvr
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Both are great...

History will definitely remember Jennifer more...So I will go with her, the one and only!!

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
True,because she's more exciting. Just like history remembers,say Connors more than Wilander. :smoke:

Both are great...

History will definitely remember Jennifer more...

Kelly
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
lindsay is my fave player but i admire jen sooo much that when she plays i want her to win...except when she plays lindsay obv. there careers have been so different i mean jen went straight to the top so young and lindsay worked her way up the rankings progressing more each year...tough question to answer but going on what they have achieved then lindsay wins it cos she has more titles (singles and doubles), more weeks at number one....plus she has come back from 2 lots of career threatening surgery which people forget and she is still number one.

Jakeev
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:27 PM
Considering Jennifer lost many years and Lindsay only about 8 months because of injury, of course Lindsay has had the better career.

jcaprulez
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Lindsay is probably the better player. I'm just going on number of titles. Lindsay's very boring and forgetable though.

hello1087
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Ok u guys but what if jen was at full health and conditioning and lindsey was to who do u think would win. even thour lindsey strikes the ball so well jen can out run her. Lindsey might have a lot more career titles then jen but jen is better at adapting to all surfaces then lindsey. if i had to pick i would pick lindsey on grass and jen on clay and rebound ace, and i would give lindsey a advantage on hard courts because even though lindsey has really good ball striking ablities jen is more of fighter and could scrap to win the match.

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
For sure I am going to say Jen!!! Lindsay is a great player too, but Jen is first of all my favorite and second she is the greatest fighter I have ever seen!!! She has some of the greatest matches in tennis history. Almost everytime she steps on the court she plays her guts out and everyone even if you don't like her knows that Jen matches are usually the best matches to watch!!!

Justin
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Lindsay, hands down. It's a no-brainer.

Lindsay has definitely achieved more in her career. I think Jen could have achieved a lot more. But still when both play at their best, I think Jen can win (Aus Open 2001 SF).
Lindsay was nowhere near her best for that entire tournament.

mboyle
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Jennifer doesn't work hard enough to win. On pure talent they are equal, but Lindsay works way harder at it.

TopTenPlayer
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
It depends on who is in better shape.
Right now it seems Lindsay is.

Volcana
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:01 PM
Ok u guys but what if jen was at full health and conditioning and lindsey was to who do u think would win.At some point, 'full health and conditioning' is what the player has the mental toughness to amke it. Magui Serna would be top 20 player if she'd bother to lose the weight. Alexandra Stevenson WAS a top twenty player when she was in halfway decent condition. However, in both cases, that wasn't how they chose to pursue their careers.

Health can always be a problem, but, realistically, your level is fitness is a choice.

1997 Sydney ........... SF Reb* (O) J.CAPRIATI. 6-2 4-6 2-6
1997 Oklahoma ......... QF Hard (I) L.DAVENPORT 6-3 6-4
1999 French Open ...... 16 Clay (O) L.DAVENPORT 6-2 6-3
2000 Australian Open .. SF RebA (O) L.DAVENPORT 6-2 7-6(4)
2000 Scottsdale ....... 16 Hard (O) L.DAVENPORT 3-6 6-2 6-3
2000 Wimbledon ........ 16 Gras (O) L.DAVENPORT 6-3 6-3
2001 Australian Open .. SF RebA (O) J.CAPRIATI. 3-6 4-6
2001 Scottsdale ....... SF Hard (O) L.DAVENPORT 6-4 6-7(2) 6-1
2001 Zurich ........... SF Carp (I) L.DAVENPORT 6-1 5-7 6-2
2003 Indian Wells ..... SF Hard (O) L.DAVENPORT 6-4 4-6 6-4
2003 Amelia Island .... SF Clay (O) L.DAVENPORT 6-3 5-7 6-2
2003 New Haven ........ FR Hard (O) J.CAPRIATI. 2-6 0-4 RET

Reb* - I'm not sure what they were using at OZ at that point. I don't think it WAS Rebound Ace.

There are a lot of three set matches there, but the outcome generally favors Lindsay. Lindsay has victories over Jenn indoors and out, and on every surface. Lindsay's won both times they played on clay. There's just no period in their rivalry when Lindsay is the better player, head-to-head. Even 2001, Jenn's best year, Lindsay beat her two times out of three. Jenn won two GS titles and made the semis of the other two that year, so 'full health and conditioning' were likely in effect.

Head-to-Head may not be the best measure of Jenn vs Lindsay. Jenn's style of play actually helps Lindsay. Jenn hits well inside the lines, and she hits hard. Lindsay likes pace, and isn't very fast. By hitting inside the lines, Jenn actually decreases the amount of court Lindsay has to cover, making Lindsay's biggest liability less of an issue. And since Lindsay is very consistent, Jenn's ability to run down a lot of balls doesn't fluster her at all. She just aims for the opposite lines and keeps swinging.

FrauleinSteffi
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Jen is awesome but Davenport is better more or less but when Is completely fit & confident shes a better athlete & moves better than Davenport but they both hit it so hard & flat both are sweet ladies & great champs alot of respect for them both:)

soos n the sis
Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
Lindsay is probably the better player. I'm just going on number of titles. Lindsay's very boring and forgetable though.

that's true.

LindsayRulez
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Lindsay is not boring nor forgettable! While Jen is great, Lindsay is the better player; look at number of titles (singles and doubles), weeks at number one, head-to-head and there's no way you can choose Jennifer...

MisterQ
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Lindsay may not have the most flamboyant personality or fighting spirit, but there is nothing boring about watching someone strike the ball like that. :worship:

Jen is also a phenomenal talent. :bowdown: The best way to judge who is better is by their results, and Lindsay comes out on top in that category.

serenafan08
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:49 PM
I can't believe this is even an issue! Lindsay is the better player hands down. To me, the biggest difference between the two is that Lindsay has the ability to set up points and FINISH them. She has all those putaway shots, and not only does she hit them with power, but she adds that topspin to keep them in the court. Jennifer can set up points, but she doesn't always finish them. Half the time, Jennifer is too defensive to even set the points up. Lindsay is better - period.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:01 AM
LMAO @ "Lindsay is boring and forgetable". That has to be one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard.

Jen has been a great player, and had some great years when she was younger, before she came back and won 3 slams. The statistics are all for Lindsay.

glamorama
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I can't say that I find either of these players particularly thrilling to watch (clump, clump, clump at the ball, over and over again, so stolid and stodgy) but at least Lindsay ends the clumping with winners.

As for who the better player is - both in terms of who would win at their best, and who has the better career - Lindsay by many, many, many miles.