PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone verify this comment?

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:24 AM
This is what someone from Thailand said on another board:

Hi all,

This is my first time to post on this board but I have been reading for a couple of years now. Anyway, I'm from Thailand and I'm a VERY BIG Williams fan. Venus arrived in Thailand last night at about 11 pm ( Thailand time) I'm very angry with the media here. They]re constantly talking about Maria and hardly mention Venus.

They also say that Maria's very fussy because she requires lots of things but they don't mind because Maria is beautiful. The media in Thailand calls her 'Angel Maria' As for Venus, they say that she's very easy going and down to earth. They say that Venus can't behave like Maria cos Venus's black and not beautiful.!!! ( I swear they said this on TV!!!) and it made me really really angry.

Maria is also paid almost 4 times more than Venus. Anyway, sorry for my English as it's not my first language. And I'll keep you guys updated very soon.

I thought it was pretty funny

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:27 AM

Hi all,

This is my first time to post on this board but I have been reading for a couple of years now. Anyway, I'm from Thailand and I'm a VERY BIG Williams fan. Venus arrived in Thailand last night at about 11 pm ( Thailand time) I'm very angry with the media here. They]re constantly talking about Maria and hardly mention Venus.

They also say that Maria's very fussy because she requires lots of things but they don't mind because Maria is beautiful. The media in Thailand calls her 'Angel Maria' As for Venus, they say that she's very easy going and down to earth. They say that Venus can't behave like Maria cos Venus's black and not beautiful.!!! ( I swear they said this on TV!!!) and it made me really really angry.

Maria is also paid almost 4 times more than Venus. Anyway, sorry for my English as it's not my first language. And I'll keep you guys updated very soon.

This sounds like either total BS, or just typical sh*t stirring by the media to attempt to create controversy................

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
This sounds like either total BS, or just typical sh*t stirring by the media to attempt to create controversy................

Couldn't agree more.

SzavayFi
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
Thats extreamly retarted. Venus is beautiful waht are they talking about.

pav
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:43 AM
Sounds like it could be a case of acute blondewhorshipitis

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM
sounds racist to me.
They say that Venus can't behave like Maria cos Venus's black and not beautiful.!!!

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:26 AM

Hi all,

Being a black person, I would not be surprised if what you said was true. I have found many Asians (in the US) to be colorstruck and bigoted.

As far as the money is concerned, if what you said is true, Maria needs the money more than Venus probably does. Also, if what you reported is true, I hope this is Venus' first and last time at this exebition.

Rocketta
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:30 AM
I seriously doubt Venus would allow a situation where she is paid a lot less than someone else. Now about the media comments who knows. :shrug:

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Being a black person, I would not be surprised if what you said was true. I have found many Asians (in the US) to be colostruck and bigoted.
As far as the money is concerned, if what you said is true, Maria needs the money more than Venus probably does. Also, if what you reported is true, I hope this is Venus' first and last time at this exebition.

I have notice that also. The come to this country and automatically look down on black people and think they are better.

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:41 AM
I seriously doubt Venus would allow a situation where she is paid a lot less than someone else. Now about the media comments who knows. :shrug:

She sure as hell would not allow that to happen. Venus is bigger in terms of being a celebrity, more established and better than Maria any day.

tenn_ace
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:44 AM
Vesus IS very nice (had a chance to meet her and to briefly chat)... As is Maria. I have met her couple of year ago and she was very nice. I can't believe that she could change THAT much.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:45 AM
I have notice that also. The come to this country and automatically look down on black people and think they are better.
That's because many believe what white people tell them.:rolleyes: :mad:

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:48 AM

So true. A lot of them cannot think for themselves. They think everything the white man say is gospel. So sad.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:54 AM
So true. A lot of them cannot think for themselves. They think everything the white man say is gospel. So sad.
Unfortunately, there are many blacks who think the same way, especially those who immigrate to America.

Rocketta
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
wow, Liz that's very degrading......insinuating that most if not all Asians that come to this country don't think for themselves .....:( :( :(

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:11 AM

Oh Geez..... so now you're saying that if an Asian person is racist, it's a white person's fault? Get a grip. First of all you're generalizing that whites are all "racist" and generalizing that all Asians can't think for themselves........ maybe you have some inherent "racism" in your character? :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:12 AM
wow, Liz that's very degrading......insinuating that most if not all Asians that come to this country don't think for themselves .....:( :( :(
For starters, I said many, which means anywhere from 30-50%; If I meant to say most (more than 50%), I would have outright said it. Sorry if what I said sound politicallyn incorrect, but how do you explain that many come here not knowing a damn thing about black people and when they are here for awhile, many of them have the same attitudes about (American born) blacks that whites have?

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
For starters, I said many, which means anywhere from 30-50%; If I meant to say most (more than 50%), I would have outright said it. Sorry if what I said sound politicallyn incorrect, but how do you explain that many come here not knowing a damn thing about black people and when they are here for awhile, many of them have the same attitudes about (American born) blacks that whites have?

Oh boy, you stuck your foot in that one................Not even going to go there.........!!! :eek:

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:15 AM
some comments here are plainly insulting and degrading to both Asians and African Americans....
disgusting

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:15 AM
Oh Geez..... so now your saying that if an Asian person is racist, it's a white person's fault? Get a grip. First of all you're generalizing that whites are all "racist" and generalizing that all Asians can't think for themselves........ maybe you have some inherent "racism" in your character? :rolleyes:

Funny how when a black person attmepts to say something others (in this case whites and Asians ) don't like to hear, they are called racist. Typical, but not surprising. BTW, it's called life experiences, dear.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM
Oh boy, you stuck your foot in that one................Not even going to go there.........!!! :eek:

Good.

Now as Ludacris would say, you can blow it out your a**.

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM

did you personally poll all the Asian populations to come up with these numbers? I thought so too..

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM
did you personally poll all the Asian populations to come up with these numbers? I thought so too..

I didn't have to; the Gallup organization did that a few years ago.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM
Good.

Now as Ludacris would say, you can blow it out your a**.

Sorry, I think you already blew it out of yours, unintentionally! :lol:

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:23 AM
I didn't have to; the Gallup organization did that a few years ago.

care to come up with a link? I'm interested...
what was the survey question?
Are African Americans inferior to Asian people?
Yes/No?
that would be a very controversial poll wouldn't it?

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:24 AM
Sorry, I think you already blew it out of yours, unintentionally! :lol:

I don't think so; what I did was say somthing that was politically incorrect and the truth and some took exception to it. Fine with me, but I find it odd that those same pepole (including youself) is disputing what is in the original post.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
Funny how when a black person attmepts to say something others (in this case whites and Asians ) don't like to hear, they are called racist. Typical, but not surprising. BTW, it's called life experiences, dear.

Funny, how when a group is accused of not liking something about another group, the group that is not liked, blames SOMEBODY ELSE! :devil:
It's called the finger pointing "blame game"..........play it all you like, but don't get mad if nobody wants to play along with you........ You don't have much of a leg to stand on if you gripe about supposed racism (by the way, nobody even knows if those comments supposedly made by the media are even true!)
then make racist comments yourself.

tenn_ace
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:27 AM
I really pity this poster (lizchris). She/he is definitely very unfortunate no matter how you look at it: either she/he is very discriminated against or she's just very miserable and lives a very unhappy life.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:27 AM
care to come up with a link? I'm interested...
what was the survey question?
Are African Americans inferior to Asian people?
Yes/No?
that would be a very controversial poll wouldn't it?

That is not what they were polled about; they were polled about their attitudes about blacks and Hispanics. I think you can see it at Gallup.org or Gallup.com. BTW, this poll was taken in the mid-1990's and it was reported in Jet magazine (a black publication).

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:28 AM
I don't think so; what I did was say somthing that was politically incorrect and the truth and some took exception to it. Fine with me, but I find it odd that those same pepole (including youself) is disputing what is in the original post.

First of all, nobody even knows how valid-- those supposed comments by a supposed poster on another board by the supposed media---are.

Secondly, you are insulting both whites and Asians with your comments. I honestly don't think there's a "white conspiracy" to make Asians hate blacks in America, and I quite doubt that most Asians are so weak minded that they "think whatever the white man tells them to".......... :rolleyes:

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:29 AM

the **truth**?? :lol:
woah Nostradamus... You CAN so totally see what an entire population think.
Amazing.
The truth is: some people whatever their "race" is ARE racist.... and it includes you also.

:rolleyes:

hello1087
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
honestly im not that suprised, it seems that every white girl with blonde hair comes on to the seen everything else stops and the blonde girl is in the center of intention, everything seems to be down rated sence maria has came on to the scene. fyi im not hating on maria i think she is a great player

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
Funny, how when a group is accused of not liking something about another group, the group that is not liked, blames SOMEBODY ELSE! :devil:
It's called the finger pointing "blame game"..........play it all you like, but don't get mad if nobody wants to play along with you........ You don't have much of a leg to stand on if you gripe about supposed racism (by the way, nobody even knows if those comments supposedly made by the media are even true!)
Many whites have been playing that game for over 100 years. In fcat, they formed a group to justify their game. That group was called the KKK.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:32 AM
Many whites have been playing that game for over 100 years. In fcat, they formed a group to justify their game. That group was called the KKK.

So why are you imitating the KKK?

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:33 AM
I really pity this poster (lizchris). She/he is definitely very unfortunate no matter how you look at it: either she/he is very discriminated against or she's just very miserable and lives a very unhappy life.

For startes, I am a she (liz is not a man's name) and I am not miserable; just pointing out things I have seen in life that I don't like. Sorry if you can't deal with that. In the larger picture that is my life, the only people I really care about are my family and friends and if those I don't care about happen to be white or Asian, then so be it.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:36 AM
the **truth**?? :lol:
woah Nostradamus... You CAN so totally see what an entire population think.
Amazing.
The truth is: some people whatever their "race" is ARE racist.... and it includes you also.

:rolleyes:
One, I don't think that I am better than someone because I am black and I damn sure have never discriminated against anybody or even thought that it was right to. Nor have I ever bruned a cross on someone's lawn or lynched anyone. If you can prove I did any of thses things, then you would be right.

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:37 AM
For startes, I am a she (liz is not a man's name) and I am not miserable; just pointing out things I have seen in life that I don't like. Sorry if you can't deal with that. In the larger picture that is my life, the only people I really care about are my family and friends and if those I don't care about happen to be white or Asian, then so be it.

i am not judging you or anything, but isn't that a tad bit hypocritical to point out racism in other people while you are actually taking part in it?

heh

JenFan75

Hi all,

Even though I'm not a big fan of her tennis, Venus is a very beautiful woman. I think this post is simply bullshit.

Angel_Mars
honestly im not that suprised, it seems that every white girl with blonde hair comes on to the seen everything else stops and the blonde girl is in the center of intention, everything seems to be down rated sence maria has came on to the scene. fyi im not hating on maria i think she is a great player

You know, you are taking away from Maria if you think she gets all the attention for her hair color. She happens to be one helluva tennis player, she won the most prestigious event in tennis, she's young, she's into fashion, she has a model figure, she has a pretty face....... she would have all those attributes with or without blonde hair. She's a very talented, interesting, pretty individual, the blonde hair is probably not the thrust of her popularity. Svetlana Kuznetsova has blonde hair too, and hardly anybody but super tennis fans know who she is.......... Kim Clijsters has blonde hair too, she has not experienced a massive amount of hoopla either........... your premise that any white, blonde girl that "comes on the scene" gets all the attention merely because of their hair, is false......... it may be that any white woman with blonde hair that gets any attention, just gets your attention negatively for some reason.........what difference does it make what color somebody's hair is when they get attention? You know, Serena is rather fond of blonde weaves, is that why she gets alot of attention?

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM
So why are you imitating the KKK?

When was the last time I was seen wearing a white sheet and a white hood? I'll answer that for you never. I don't even put white sheets on my bed.

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM
One, I don't think that I am better than someone because I am black and I damn sure have never discriminated against anybody or even thought that it was right to. Nor have I ever bruned a cross on someone's lawn or lynched anyone. If you can prove I did any of thses things, then you would be right.
you don't have to do these extremes to be racist... the simple fact that you differentiate between populations based on skin color is racism.. is it the definition that is used in general? NO. Otherwise, practically everyone would be racist. No, what I see is you being biased and making degrading comments about white and Asians. The fact that you are also a minority does not make you any less racist. And if you have experienced it, which I am sure you had or you wouldn't be so into this topic, it makes you a hypocrite.
You point out racism with racism.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
When was the last time I was seen wearing a white sheet and a white hood? I'll answer that for you never. I don't even put white sheets on my bed.

Wearing white sheets and a white hood wasn't exactly what made the KKK, the KKK, I"m sure you know that........ and I'm sure you know you don't have to wear a sheet and a hood to be a racist.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
You know, you are taking away from Maria if you think she gets all the attention for her hair color. She happens to be one helluva tennis player, she won the most prestigious event in tennis, she's young, she's into fashion, she has a model figure, she has a pretty face....... she would have all those attributes with or without blonde hair. She's a very talented, interesting, pretty individual, the blonde hair is probably not the thrust of her popularity. Svetlana Kuznetsova has blonde hair too, and hardly anybody but super tennis fans know who she is.......... Kim Clijsters has blonde hair too, she has not experienced a massive amount of hoopla either........... your premise that any white, blonde girl that "comes on the scene" gets all the attention merely because of their hair, is false......... it may be that any white woman with blonde hair that gets any attention, just gets your attention negatively for some reason.........what difference does it make what color somebody's hair is when they get attention? You know, Serena is rather fond of blonde weaves, is that why she gets alot of attention?

For the most part, the media has been saying she has made tennis popular again and she is attractive to advertisers because of her "blonde good looks", not because of her tennis playing, which outside or two major tourmanets and a few lower tier tournaments, has not been all that great.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:47 AM
you don't have to do these extremes to be racist... the simple fact that you differentiate between populations based on skin color is racism.. is it the definition that is used in general? NO. Otherwise, practically everyone would be racist. No, what I see is you being biased and making degrading comments about white and Asians. The fact that you are also a minority does not make you any less racist. And if you have experienced it, which I am sure you had or you wouldn't be so into this topic, it makes you a hypocrite.
You point out racism with racism.
Prejudice, most likely; bigoted, maybe; racist, absolutely not.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
Wearing white sheets and a white hood wasn't exactly what made the KKK, the KKK, I"m sure you know that........ and I'm sure you know you don't have to wear a sheet and a hood to be a racist.

You also have to justify why it is OK to keep another race of people down, which is what made the KKK popluar, which is something I have not done in this thread.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
For the most part, the media has been saying she has made tennis popular again and she is attractive to advertisers because of her "blonde good looks", not because of her tennis playing, which outside or two major tourmanets and a few lower tier tournaments, has not been all that great.

So what's wrong with them saying she has "blonde good looks"? It's just a descriptive term that is accurate, she is good looking, and she happens to be blonde. I've heard women described as "exotic beauties" and "dark haired beauties" and "Latina Beauties" what's the big deal? Maria is facing a weird backlash because she is blonde..... why should her being blonde make anybody question her worth, skill or popularity? I guarantee you, even if she was a platinum blonde like Marilyn Monroe, if she was ugly, or a bad tennis player, nobody would take notice like they have with her.

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM
Prejudice, most likely; bigoted, maybe; racist, absolutely not.
i'd say they are the same.... racism is still racism no matter what the extent is, whether you actually burned a cross or you just believe it.

wordsmyth.net says:
I won't even bother to quote all three words because in each definition they are related

Bigot: one who is prejudiced against and intolerant of any group or belief that is not his or her own, esp. religious, racial, or ethnic

Prejudice and bigotery are just "nicer" words for racism.

Look I am not trying to get into a fight with you, or even trying to personally attack you. I am just debating you about racism and its generalization. To admit it, I personally believe that most people are racists and or think differently of races others than theirs. I admit that I also, even though I am not looking down on any group of population, would tend to more judge people on their appearances as in saying ( for example, not that I believe any of that) that Asians are the intellectual/nerdy ugly kind, African Americans are thugs and gang members, that White people are obese, lazy, would sue you for anything, idiots, ...etc...
not that any of this crap is true, but I'd think this is a generalization that exist in America and probably will always be.
I'm just pointing out that you are being prejudiced, and that it is hypocritical to act like you are the innocent population being discriminated against while you are also discriminating to others.
Have a great night everyone,
I'm off to bed.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM
You also have to justify why it is OK to keep another race of people down, which is what made the KKK popluar, which is something I have not done in this thread.

The way people attempt to "keep a race down" is by first generalizing about that race in a negative fashion. You've done it with two groups tonight. You made comments that made it seem like whites are on some mission of hate , and Asians aren't smart enough to think for themselves...... light bulb going on yet? And this Maria/blonde thing... how would it sound if every black sports stars' popularity was questioned because they had dark hair and eyes?

Crazy Canuck
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:54 AM

That's typical lizchris... even when she has a point, she finds a way of going all wacko and totally ruining it.

Thanks, btw, for that highly scientific definition of "many", lizchris.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:56 AM
So what's wrong with them saying she has "blonde good looks"? It's just a descriptive term that is accurate, she is good looking, and she happens to be blonde. I've heard women described as "exotic beauties" and "dark haired beauties" and "Latina Beauties" what's the big deal? Maria is facing a weird backlash because she is blonde..... why should her being blonde make anybody question her worth, skill or popularity? I guarantee you, even if she was a platinum blonde like Marilyn Monroe, if she was ugly, or a bad tennis player, nobody would take notice like they have with her.

That's the opinion of the media. Personally, I think Karolina Sprem and Tathiana Golovin are better looking than she is, but that is me.

If she is facing a backlash, which I dobut, it is because the media is shoving her down the throats as if she is a godsend to a dying sport, which is not true. Is she is next big thing, we will see this year if she can repeat what she didi in 2004, but if she cannot produce the same results on a consisten basis, then we will see if she will face any type of backlash.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:56 AM

For those who aren't familiar with lizchris, this is the rationale she uses everytime somebody calls her on the bigoted comments that she tends to make occasionally.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:01 AM
The way people attempt to "keep a race down" is by first generalizing about that race in a negative fashion. You've done it with two groups tonight. You made comments that made it seem like whites are on some mission of hate , and Asians aren't smart enough to think for themselves...... light bulb going on yet? And this Maria/blonde thing... how would it sound if every black sports stars' popularity was questioned because they had dark hair and eyes?

That is a ridiculous statement due to the fact that I have never heard of anyone saying a black athlete was popular because of the way they looked. As far as me keeping any race down; I am not all that interested about keeping any white or Asian person down since I am not all that interested in what they do as long as they leave me the hell alone if they have a problem with me because of my skin color.

MinnyGophers
For those who aren't familiar with lizchris, this is the rationale she uses everytime somebody calls her on the bigoted comments that she tends to make occasionally.
yeah that's because when Whites and Asians discriminate agaisnt blacks it is racism.. but when a black person discriminates against white and asians, it is perfectly right and justified.

Angel_Mars
That's the opinion of the media. Personally, I think Karolina Sprem and Tathiana Golovin are better looking than she is, but that is me.

If she is facing a backlash, which I dobut, it is because the media is shoving her down the throats as if she is a godsend to a dying sport, which is not true. Is she is next big thing, we will see this year if she can repeat what she didi in 2004, but if she cannot produce the same results on a consisten basis, then we will see if she will face any type of backlash.

Liz, the media pushed Venus and Serena down our throats incessantly as well, from the time they arrived on the scene BEFORE their first slam wins, and they still do, even with V and S without a slam for a long, long time........... they were considered a "godsend to a dying sport" which of course they weren't and neither is Maria, because another star is always on the horizon, decade after decade.. tennis never needed to be saved, it was always allright. As far as being blonde and beautiful only being the attitude of the media, think again. Because the media gives people what they want as a rule, they wouldn't push Maria unless they thought alot of people out there were interested in her already, same with Anna Kournikova, she made all that money because alot of people thought she was beautiful, end of story. You don't make millions off photo shoots and sexy poses because the MEDIA just decided to present you that way, it wouldn't work.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
hey I'm asian and i love african-american people. I hang out with some of them whenever I visit the US...they are great people...

Crazy Canuck
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
yeah that's because when Whites and Asians discriminate agaisnt blacks it is racism.. but when a black person discriminates against white and asians, it is perfectly right and justified.
More or less. And really, there is no point in trying to reason with somebody whose mind works that way. They won't get it. They don't want to get it :)

Crazy Canuck
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:04 AM
hey I'm asian and i love african-american people. I hang out with some of them whenever I visit the US...they are great people...
I guess that you're in the "better" 50-70%, a bracket which lizchris kindly defined for us earlier in this thread. Yay :D

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:06 AM
That is a ridiculous statement due to the fact that I have never heard of anyone saying a black athlete was popular because of the way they looked. As far as me keeping any race down; I am not all that interested about keeping any white or Asian person down since I am not all that interested in what they do as long as they leave me the hell alone if they have a problem with me because of my skin color.

The reason you've never heard it, is because they aren't being judged unfairly like that, the way blonde, white girls are. Evidently, nobody is jealous or showing insecurity about the black people's brown hair and eyes, so they don't comment. Jealousy stinks. Everybody should be happy and secure in their own looks, and not worry that somebody that doesn't look like them is getting attention. There's enough attention to go around for everybody that stands out regardless of hair color. Serena and Venus certainly get their share, Maria gets her share, Martina Hingis got her share and she's a brunette, people worry about these things because they feel insecure and feel that there isn't enough to go around. What some are saying when they grip about Maria is "Maria doesn't look like me, that makes me feel bad that somebody likes her, if they like her, they must not like me". That is an unhealthy and insecure attitude

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:06 AM

I think it is also called racism too, at least that what people are saying in this thread tonight.

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:08 AM
I think it is also called racism too, at least that what people are saying in this thread tonight.

:eek:
did Lizchris see the LIGHT??
:p

MinnyGophers
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
alrighty ladies and gentlemen... i'm off to bed!
it was fun debating and disagreeing with all of ya!
nighty night

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
The reason you've never heard it, is because they aren't being judged unfairly like that, the way blonde, white girls are. Evidently, nobody is jealous or showing insecurity about the black people's brown hair and eyes, so they don't comment. Jealousy stinks. Everybody should be happy and secure in their own looks, and not worry that somebody that doesn't look like them is getting attention. There's enough attention to go around for everybody that stands out regardless of hair color. Serena and Venus certainly get their share, Maria gets her share, Martina Hingis got her share and she's a brunette, people worry about these things because they feel insecure and feel that there isn't enough to go around. What some are saying when they grip about Maria is "Maria doesn't look like me, that makes me feel bad that somebody likes her, if they like her, they must not like me". That is an unhealthy and insecure attitude

Usually blacks are being judged on how big their muscles are and how that is unfair to white athletes that aren't built like that (as if blacks are born muscular:rolleyes: ). If you acutally think white blonde girs are being judged unfairly in the meida, then you need to pass the purple chornic around for the rest of us to smoke because it must be some good sh*t.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:14 AM
:eek:
did Lizchris see the LIGHT??
:p

Actually, I knew this; I didn't have to see any light.

franny
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:14 AM
Excuse me? I find that extremely insulting and that in itself is a racial slur. Are you an Asian? Many cannot think for themselves? How would you know? Whether those remarks by the original post was true or not, the comments made by some in this thread is downright derogatory. You do not understand what goes through the minds of those with whom you do not live near or come in close contact with. Please do not make racial presumptions because honestly guys, there is enough division amongst races to begin with and prepetuating the stereotypes that come along with it only heightens the animosity.

Stamp Paid
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
I'm sure there are soooooo many poor whites and Asians that have been discriminated against by blacks who thank you for shedding light on their plight....:rolleyes:

Please, how can a black discriminating against an Asian or a White person specifically negatively affect that White/Asian? Blacks have marginal power in the US.

Stamp Paid
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:19 AM
And by the way, many Southeast Asians idealize people with features like Maria Sharapova, and would generally find someone like Venus or Serea Williams physically unattractive. So I wouldn't put it past the Thai press for this comment to have been made.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:19 AM
Usually blacks are being judged on how big their muscles are and how that is unfair to white athletes that aren't built like that (as if blacks are born muscular:rolleyes: ).

You see? Underneathe all the nutso rhetoric, lizchris occasionally has a point. This being one of them.

If you acutally think white blonde girs are being judged unfairly in the meida, then you need to pass the purple chornic around for the rest of us to smoke because it must be some good sh*t.

This I don't entirely agree with. Young female athletes who are held up by the media and heralded as great beauties face a whole a different type of judgement. If they happen to be very talented athletes, the general praise is "wow... she's good looking AND can play!", as if there is some relationship between beauty and athletic ability that make such a thing highly unlike and worth commenting on. Then, if they fail, we hear that the young woman was "nothing but a pretty face"... when that, afterall, was the only reason the media was talking about her in the first place. They build them up so that they can rip them down.

Rocketta
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:23 AM
Ok, people.......it depends on your definition of racism....some think racism means institutional power being used negatively against a race and some think it's another word for being prejudice.

Either way anyone of any race can hurt people of the other and have done so. Someone asked what could a black person being racist do to a white or an Asian? Well they can hurt them physically and that's enough don't you think? Ask Reginald Denny if a black person's prejudice harmed hin.

Liz, there is a huge difference between there being a negative portrayal of a group by western media and foreigners only being exposed to that and they believing everything the "white" man says. We are all influenced by the media, by what we see and it has nothing to do with not being able to think for ourselves. As with everyone, when you are around different people you learn more about them and your opinions change.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM
Ok, people.......it depends on your definition of racism....some think racism means institutional power being used negatively against a race and some think it's another word for being prejudice.

Either way anyone of any race can hurt people of the other and have done so. Someone asked what could a black person being racist do to a white or an Asian? Well they can hurt them physically and that's enough don't you think? Ask Reginald Denny if a black person's prejudice harmed hin.

Liz, there is a huge difference between there being a negative portrayal of a group by western media and foreigners only being exposed to that and they believing everything the "white" man says. We are all influenced by the media, by what we see and it has nothing to do with not being able to think for ourselves. As with everyone, when you are around different people you learn more about them and your opinions change.

What you are saying is true, but why is it then when some of the people that are being discussed are around people of other races, their opinions still don't change?

Rocketta
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:37 AM
What you are saying is true, but why is it then when some of the people that are being discussed are around people of other races, their opinions still don't change?
I wouldn't exactly call dealing with customers as being around people of other races. Their children who go to school with people of different races don't generally hold the same views, imo.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't exactly call dealing with customers as being around people of other races. Their children who go to school with people of different races don't generally hold the same views, imo.

Again that's true until this kids get to middle school and start getting interested in the opposite sex.

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:45 AM

It's a possibility that they said it. I remember about a 11/2 ago when Venus and Serena were beating up on Kim and Jhh two guys on a radio station in Belgium called them monkeys. Do you remember that? I don't put anything past them. Anyway my reason for posting that was to find out if anyone from there also heard the comment. I need to hear a couple more people say they have heard it before I believe it.

lizchris
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
It's a possibility that they said it. I remember about a 11/2 ago when Venus and Serena were beating up on Kim and Jhh two guys on a radio station in Belgium called them monkeys. Do you remember that? I don't put anything past them.

A year befoe that, a white sports reporter in the US called them apes.

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Even Martina N said she is the best thing that ever happened to tennis...What the heck is that....and what was Venus, Serena and the others ...chopped liver?

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:03 AM
Liz, the media pushed Venus and Serena down our throats incessantly as well, from the time they arrived on the scene BEFORE their first slam wins, and they still do, even with V and S without a slam for a long, long time........... they were considered a "godsend to a dying sport" which of course they weren't and neither is Maria, because another star is always on the horizon, decade after decade.. tennis never needed to be saved, it was always allright. As far as being blonde and beautiful only being the attitude of the media, think again. Because the media gives people what they want as a rule, they wouldn't push Maria unless they thought alot of people out there were interested in her already, same with Anna Kournikova, she made all that money because alot of people thought she was beautiful, end of story. You don't make millions off photo shoots and sexy poses because the MEDIA just decided to present you that way, it wouldn't work.

When did the media push V&S down our throats...the media were the ones saying that they were not good for tennis...Where have you been. And yes they did revived a dying sports.

icequeen
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:11 AM
A year befoe that, a white sports reporter in the US called them apes.

Really. Do you know who it was and what happened after he made that comment?

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:29 AM
Usually blacks are being judged on how big their muscles are and how that is unfair to white athletes that aren't built like that (as if blacks are born muscular:rolleyes: ). If you acutally think white blonde girs are being judged unfairly in the meida, then you need to pass the purple chornic around for the rest of us to smoke because it must be some good sh*t.

Er...... what is "purple chornic"? Whatever it is, Liz, I think you've already been smoking some......... :D

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
And by the way, many Southeast Asians idealize people with features like Maria Sharapova, and would generally find someone like Venus or Serea Williams physically unattractive.
The only Asian country where I've met both Venus and Masha is Hong Kong. And I think in general Hong Kong people are nice and open-minded: They love and respect Venus a lot, she is so popular there.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
It's a possibility that they said it. I remember about a 11/2 ago when Venus and Serena were beating up on Kim and Jhh two guys on a radio station in Belgium called them monkeys. Do you remember that? I don't put anything past them. Anyway my reason for posting that was to find out if anyone from there also heard the comment. I need to hear a couple more people say they have heard it before I believe it.

No, I sure didn't hear that, I don't get any Belgian radio stations so I couldn't know what they say on those stations.....

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Vesus IS very nice (had a chance to meet her and to briefly chat)...
I've met Venus twice. Yes, she is very nice. But I haven't been so lucky to talk to her enough yet.
...As is Maria. I have met her couple of year ago and she was very nice. I can't believe that she could change THAT much.
Believe me, Masha did change from the time I met her in Hong Kong in January 2004 to the time I met her again in San Diego in July 2004. And that's why I changed my username after the Acura Classic from MaSharapovaFan to K-LinaŠpremFan.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Before the match, while Masha's press conference was shown on TV, the Thai commentator said that he would give Masha's beauty 9.9 out of 10.

Then during the match he said Masha has a very beautiful body.

Vut
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Before the match, while Masha's press conference was shown on TV, the Thai commentator said that he would give Masha's beauty 9.9 out of 10.

Then during the match he said Masha has a very beautiful body.
Thai commentators are always pitiable. :o

Trust me, Thai people likes Venus same as Maria. :D

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Thai newspaper reported (maybe last month), LTAT paid US$250,000 for Maria and US$250,000 for Venus
Thank you, Vut.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
Trust me, Thai people likes Venus same as Maria.
By the way, it's also very nice to see that they gave similar trophies to both players.

faste5683
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

Those damn white people screw with everybody, don't they? :rolleyes:

:haha:

DevilishAttitude
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Lizchris again acting like 'The whole world is against me cos I'm black and like the Williams sisters' :tape: :haha: :o

I'm surprised if you've never had counselling with this attitude cos your life seems so miserable :sad: Every time someone says something just a little bit bad about blacks or the Williams sisters you barge in saying have whites don't get it and Sharapova doesn't recieve it :rolleyes: GET OVER IT :)

About the comment I'm not impressed with it but it's not actually known if it's 100% true roight :confused:

Serena+LenaDrule
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:D
Whats the KKK?

Julia1968
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Being a black person, I would not be surprised if what you said was true. I have found many Asians (in the US) to be colorstruck and bigoted.

I've heard blacks make just as many disparaging comments towards Asians in this country as Asians have them. Its no different.

tennis4you-com
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Venus is simply not as popular as Sharapova at the moment, she could very well be getting less appearance money that Venus. But I have a feeling that Venus is indeed much more down to earth. I hope Sharapova doesn't become a whiney Capriati... Capriati once asked a hotel manager if she could "keep" the car they were letting her borrow. lol, like she cannot afford one.

Scott Baker
Tennis4you.com

JenCpLvr
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Oh Geez..... so now you're saying that if an Asian person is racist, it's a white person's fault? Get a grip. First of all you're generalizing that whites are all "racist" and generalizing that all Asians can't think for themselves........ maybe you have some inherent "racism" in your character? :rolleyes::worship: :worship:

LizChris- Cry me a river :bigcry:
To take a simple statement, of which, did not include an american caucasion and place blame on all caucasions because of some sterotype that your race has created is simply ignorant.. and you dont call that racism?? :lol:
I also find it amusing that you generalize asians just as you're generalizing whites... Do you have a positive perception of any race but your own? :rolleyes:

pigam
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Yes, it happened, it was an awfull thing that had huge impacxt here in Belgium.
In Belgium, there's a specific center that is called the "Het Centrum voor Gelijkheid van Kansen en Racismebestrijding (CGKR)" (= "center for equal chances and struggle against racism) and they immediately raised a complaint against those 2 presenters before the Flemish Arbitration board.
Furthermore, another Belgian contacted the Williams family personally about this incident. The sisters thanked him and decided they would sent protest-mails to the radiostation in question. They promissed the man who informed them they would meet him next time they are in Belgium (antwerp, it was, I believe).

Unfortunately, those presenters wern't fired, but they made public apologies and the radio station was heavily fined.

edit: I now only realise you where asking if the Thai comments where actually true :o You knew the Belgian comments where ...

jacobruiz
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:34 PM
The perpetuation of prejudice and racism expressed in this thread is appalling and depressing. Has anyone considered that at least a little of Asian-Americans' beliefs has possibly come from their own experiences? And that Asians are all individuals and don't deserve to be lumped together in terms of their thoughts and actions? The same goes for whites, blacks, and people of any other race.

Kart
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I have found many Asians (in the US) to be colorstruck and bigoted.

Liz you know you usually make me laugh but I wish you would keep your comments about the Asian community to yourself. They make you come across as short sighted, hypocritical and uninformed :sad:.

Not as sad as your ideas appear to be :sad:.

Kart
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Hey this is the first time in ages I managed to get a few words in before Griffin :worship: or Sonja :hearts: initiate a lock down :D.