PDA

View Full Version : Fans to dip into their pockets

Mattographer
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:09 AM
Fans to dip into their pockets

By John Thirsk

January 2, 2005

AUSTRALIAN tennis fans are expected to contribute more than $1million to the victims of the Asian tsunami.

Tennis Australia has given the green light for donations at the seven tournaments on the Australian calendar this summer, starting tomorrow with three events in Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast.

Other events follow in Sydney, Canberra, Hobart and Melbourne. With total prizemoney topping $22m, it would come as no surprise if players gave a considerable percentage of their winnings to the cause.

Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova gave $10,000 from an exhibition match against Venus Williams to the devastated people of Asia.

"It would be fantastic if Tennis Australia gave a dollar for every dollar contributed by the fans," one insider said. "I know the tennis community will open their hearts in a very generous manner."

Up to 540,000 spectators are expected at Melbourne Park during the Australian Open fortnight, which starts on January 17, while 160,000 are expected at Homebush next week.

General manager of men's Tennis Australia, Peter Johnston, who is also co-tournament director of the Next Generation event at Memorial Drive in Adelaide, with Mark Woodforde, said his tournament would hold a "tsunami day" on Wednesday.

"The official designated charity is Unicef," he said.

"It was decided by TA that all tournaments on the summer circuit would be available for contributions.

"It will be a gold coin donation.

"We will have collectors carrying IDs roaming the stands.

"There will also be a minute's silence before the opening match in Adelaide."

The Sunday Telegraph

DutchieGirl
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM
oog good! I was gonna donate some money anyway, but I'll do it at the AO now! :D But a "gold coin" - think I'd give a bit more than that!

Lemonskin.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:24 AM
Yeah us Aussies are ace :cool:

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:32 AM
they have such kind souls... :lol:

Prizeidiot
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah us Aussies are ace :cool:
Yep, we've got collection bins at the cricket, the NRL might be donating $1 from every first round ticket sold, and the ARU is trying to pitch in too. Go us