PDA

View Full Version : Wow Kelly Holmes becomes a Dame.

Jakeev
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:55 AM
Just read that one of my favorite runners, Kelly Holmes, who won two gold medals in Athens, was honoured as a Dame today in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

Becoming a Dame is the female version I guess of being knighted. Considering she is just 34 and many well-known British women have never been given this honor I guess is a pretty big deal.

So congrats Dame Kelly!!!!!:kiss: :kiss:

jrm
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:32 AM
Kelly Holmes a dame? Somehow hard to swallow (not looking at the results but the appearance).

Jakeev
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:39 AM
Kelly Holmes a dame? Somehow hard to swallow (not looking at the results but the appearance).
Uh what do you mean the appearance?

CondiLicious
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:59 PM
It's seems so odd to think of Kelly as a Dame. I've been a fan of hers ever since 1994 :lol: And I always thought Dames were old and Dame Judi Dench-like :lol: But... no other honours title would be good enough to match Kelly's achievements this year! Thoroughly deserved! :worship:

gentenaire
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Congrats Dame Kelly! She certainly deserves it.

Sam L
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM
Cool! She deserves it and more. :bowdown:

Dava
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Dame Kelly...wow...who would have thought the old army girl would have turned out a Dame...Im really pleased for her, shes one of the nicest athletes out there, and has had to come through a lot of injury and dissapointments. When she won her medal in Sydney she seemed so happy and its just great to see her win the golds this year. Its also nice to see her get all this regonition and sponsorship, and see her all dolled up for magazine shoots.

Lemonskin.
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM
Ahahaha I looked at the title and for a sec I thought it said "Katie Holmes becomes a Dame" :haha:

Gerri
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
Yay Kelly :worship: She deserves it. I'm pleased she's done so well after all the injuries and trouble she's had in the past. Shows how hard work and determination can pay off in the end. Well done Kel :)

Nikki
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Well deserved & considering her MBE was for services for the army, this is her 1st recognition for athletics. Congrats Kelly:bounce:

flyingmachine
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM
:cool:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:51 PM
Congrats Kelly! :worship: I saw the race on TV saturday morning and I could remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it was on live :o

Jakeev
Jan 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
It's seems so odd to think of Kelly as a Dame. I've been a fan of hers ever since 1994 :lol: And I always thought Dames were old and Dame Judi Dench-like :lol: But... no other honours title would be good enough to match Kelly's achievements this year! Thoroughly deserved! :worship:
Lol she is probably one of the youngest to recieve that accolade. Like I said before many other famous British women, especially female athletes, I think have died not ever receiving that award, so what a great accomplishment.

BritneySpearsIsHot
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:44 PM
They don't half give out honours easily these days.

So many people achieved so much yet get overlooked.

I personally believe sportspersons need to achieve alot before they get this (and i mean Gold medals over say 3 Olympics)

So many more in the past deserved them, but did not receive.

They have little importance now :(

Monica_Rules
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Please give exampls of who you think deserves them?

Monica_Rules
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM
og forgot

Well Done Kelly:)

BritneySpearsIsHot
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Please give examplEs of who you think deserves them?
(Sir) Brian Clough - possibly didn't get it because he didn't sit on the fence

As i say, given out too easily these days and made less significant for that reason.

I think people who save lives are more deserving etc.

I'm not saying Kelly isn't a good choice, i'm saying it would take more than 2 gold medals for me to award one (not that i ever will)

Will Tim Henman become a 'Sir' if he wins Wimbledon?

Why did Pinsent have to wait to become a 'Sir'?

Linford Christie?

CondiLicious
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Sally Gunnell should become a Dame for services to crappy after-race interviews!

Avid Merrion
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Sally Gunnell should become a Dame for services to crappy after-race interviews!
:haha: :yeah:

Joana
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Ahahaha I looked at the title and for a sec I thought it said "Katie Holmes becomes a Dame" :haha:
I thought it said "Kelly Holmes becomes a Dane" and I was like, WTF???!!!

!<blocparty>!
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:33 PM
(Sir) Brian Clough - possibly didn't get it because he didn't sit on the fence

As i say, given out too easily these days and made less significant for that reason.

I think people who save lives are more deserving etc.

I'm not saying Kelly isn't a good choice, i'm saying it would take more than 2 gold medals for me to award one (not that i ever will)

Will Tim Henman become a 'Sir' if he wins Wimbledon?

Why did Pinsent have to wait to become a 'Sir'?

Linford Christie?
Yes i agree with you there. Pinsent needed 4 olympics to win his medals and Kelly comes and wins 2 golds in the same year and get this honor. The system is a bit unfair, but Kelly is still great.

Bezz
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM
There is no doubt in my mind she deserves one, but i think giving her it now is way too soon, her double at the olympics was great but she will always ahve them so giving her the dame(hood) could have waited. The same for pinsent aswell. I think they both just need to work on thier chosen sport for a few more years training up the young hopefuls, doing the charity bit and gettin success that way aswell. :)

Jakeev
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Please give exampls of who you think deserves them?
One famous Brit I can think of is Angela Lansbury. Of course it's not too late for her, but I am surprised she has not been given the accolade as of yet.

And by the way has any tennis player recieved the Dame Commander title?

Jakeev
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM
There is no doubt in my mind she deserves one, but i think giving her it now is way too soon, her double at the olympics was great but she will always ahve them so giving her the dame(hood) could have waited. The same for pinsent aswell. I think they both just need to work on thier chosen sport for a few more years training up the young hopefuls, doing the charity bit and gettin success that way aswell. :)
Well who exactly nominates the various people that are given the honours? I read it was the Prime Minister but was not sure if that is correct.

Bezz
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Well who exactly nominates the various people that are given the honours? I read it was the Prime Minister but was not sure if that is correct.
I am not sure, but i heard the prime minister has some say aswell, but maybe he just puts recommendations towards some panel and then they decide :confused:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 5th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I pretty they have a special panel who nominate people to go up for these awards. I'm not sure about the Prime minister, but I'm guessing him and the queen would be involved in the decision making somehow.

CondiLicious
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:16 PM
One famous Brit I can think of is Angela Lansbury. Of course it's not too late for her, but I am surprised she has not been given the accolade as of yet.

And by the way has any tennis player recieved the Dame Commander title?
I read somewhere that she has a CBE. I think the fact she lives in the US and very few realize she is a Brit perhaps counts against her. I'm sure she'll get one eventually... They gave Liz Taylor one!

AngelaLansbury
Jan 5th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Of course I should be knighted. Thank you for recognising me. No one makes TV as good as 'Murder, She Wrote'.

Oh, but I did get a CBE in 1994. But something else wouldn't go amiss.

Pamela Shriver
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Of course I should be knighted. Thank you for recognising me. No one makes TV as good as 'Murder, She Wrote'.

Can I have an honourary Damehood too? PamHood? Does OBE stand for Order of the Baltimore Empire I wonder...

Dava
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:33 AM

Its cos you pissed off to America bitch...I dont blame you but I think the queen might have taken it personally.

Fat Frog
Jan 6th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Fair play to her. To come back from all her injuries and win Olympic gold in 2 events is some achievement. Thoroughly deserved.

Jakeev
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I read somewhere that she has a CBE. I think the fact she lives in the US and very few realize she is a Brit perhaps counts against her. I'm sure she'll get one eventually... They gave Liz Taylor one!
That's why I don't buy that it's because she had been in the States because of the fact Liz Taylor has been here since she was a young girl.

Perhaps Angela has not been recognized because she is not as involved in larger charitable organizations as Liz has been with AIDS, but who knows.

By the way do any known British tennis players have this award?