PDA

View Full Version : Watson's Water Challenge - Amélie withdraws, Serena gives up Singles!

Happy Guy
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:17 AM
Very bad news for Amélie, Serena and Hong Kong! :( According to today's local newspaper, Amélie is still hurt by muscle strain, while Serena has not recovered fully from her stomach injury. Serena will still come to play doubles with Venus.

We now welcome - Vera Zvonareva!:wavey:

The new singles draw is as follows -
Red Group - Maria Sharapova, Elena Dementieva, Nicole Vaidisova
Green Group - Svetlana Kuznetsova, Venus Williams, Vera Zvonareva

This will be a round robin tournament with the top player from each group squaring off in the final.

The opening match on Wednesday is Maria v Lena D. Venus will play first on Thursday and the Williamses will play right afterwards.

Chunchun
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:20 AM
:woohoo: Bepa :bounce:

Nicky against LenaD & Masha! :banana: :hearts:

esquímaux
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:26 AM
Vaidisova :awww:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:57 AM
Serena is probably fine but she doesnt want to risk it.. she better not withdraw from the Aussie Open!! That would suck and Ill be Pissed!!

10nisfanofruz
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM
I'm glad that they picked another russian to play ;)
Nicole got the chance to play single. I hope she can kick some ass because she is the one to watch this year. :bounce:

lizchris
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:20 AM
I think it is smart for Serena to not play singles if she is still suffering from the strain. Venus made the mistake of plyaing singles and doubles at Wimbledon in 2003 and it cost her the rest of the season and I think it affected her a little when she came back. Unless Serena suffers something more serious, then she could miss the AO again this year. However, Amelie's injury sounds a little more serious. I hope she will be able to play at the AO.

pierce0415
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:36 AM
Amelie :sad:

tennnisfannn
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:36 AM
This sucks, the season hasn't started and already jen, lindsay, and now serena and amelie have some injuries of some sort. I really do hope that is is more precautionary for all of them than real serious. Get well ladies.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:52 AM
but i thought amelie took a break to relaX and even pulled out from the fed cup.

Linnie
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:56 AM
As far back as the beginning of December, Amélie said she would probably be going straight to Melbourne for the AO, rather than playing any warm-ups. From that, and what I've read (according to the Dec. 30th L'Equipe, she was flying directly to Australia on January 8th), the exo was never mentioned, so I kinda figured she wouldn't show up. What's a little disturbing is that they mentioned an injury :(

I hope Momo and Serena are healthy and rarin' to go at the AO :)

SilK
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:11 AM
Nicky! :woohoo:

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:24 AM
Why they don't ask Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario to play singles? :p

Experimentee
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:35 AM
I hope its just precautionary and Serena will still play the AO.

Stephieva
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:46 AM
Momo :sad:
Get well soon and plz make it at AO...:kiss:

Vincent
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:01 AM
Welcome Vera! ;)

cartmancop
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:10 AM
Venus has a favorable group for singles. Hopefully she can get some wins and some confidence to begin the new season.

mrush2004
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:16 AM
so maria will play with vera for doubles now?

10nisfanofruz
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:36 AM
so maria will play with vera for doubles now?

WOW!!! That's is tempting to watch if you heard the rumor about them. :eek:

ginger_fish668
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:43 AM
That rumour... :( Personally, I dun believe it. Anyways...it sucks that Amelie and Serena still aren't 100%. I hope they'll be alright for Melbourne. :)

mrush2004
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM
WOW!!! That's is tempting to watch if you heard the rumor about them. :eek:

i never heard no rumour, im just asking, cause momo was marias partner wasnt she? since she gone and vera is in now? wouldnt she replace momo as partner? no idea. i might have the wrong info, if i do my bad.

waratahsrock
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM
what rumour?

ginger_fish668
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM
The rumour that there's something 'romantic' going on between them. I don't believe it...

waratahsrock
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Sounds like a load of BS. But i'd like to see them both playing doubles together.

Vut
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM
:sad: Momo

Happy Guy
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:49 AM
As far back as the beginning of December, Amélie said she would probably be going straight to Melbourne for the AO, rather than playing any warm-ups. From that, and what I've read (according to the Dec. 30th L'Equipe, she was flying directly to Australia on January 8th), the exo was never mentioned, so I kinda figured she wouldn't show up. What's a little disturbing is that they mentioned an injury :(

I hope Momo and Serena are healthy and rarin' to go at the AO :)
If that's the case, Momo shouldn't have signed up the exhibition at all. The Hong Kong TV Crew flew to LA to interview all players at the YEC. She is one of the selling points of the exhibition and is indeed one of the reasons why I am so interested to see this year. If she values the Open so much, she shouldn't have signed up at all.

ginger_fish668
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:59 AM
Agreed Happy Guy. Oh well, we still got a lot great players coming. :)

AKTW
Jan 1st, 2005, 09:54 AM
The site has no updates! :(

Linnie
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:05 AM
If that's the case, Momo shouldn't have signed up the exhibition at all. The Hong Kong TV Crew flew to LA to interview all players at the YEC. She is one of the selling points of the exhibition and is indeed one of the reasons why I am so interested to see this year. If she values the Open so much, she shouldn't have signed up at all.For all we know, she may have told them a month ago that she wasn't going to play. Didn't they start hawking this exo back in October? It's not unusual for tournaments to hype players they know aren't going to show up, in order to sell tickets :o I remember last year there were a couple of "last minute" substitutions.

Lemonskin.
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Still looks like an interesting competition :D

jogoss_78
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
Oh no :( I don't want zvonareva she is just everywhere she wants to play every tournament

Happy Guy
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:02 AM
For all we know, she may have told them a month ago that she wasn't going to play. Didn't they start hawking this exo back in October? It's not unusual for tournaments to hype players they know aren't going to show up, in order to sell tickets :o I remember last year there were a couple of "last minute" substitutions.
The news mention that Amélie notified her decision in Christmas.

Vincent
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM
I wonder how we Hong Kong people who buy the tickets think?

Harju.
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Oh I hope Momo's and Rena's injury isnot that serious. :(

But yay for Nicole for playing the single matches :worship:

Epigone
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
Oh no :( I don't want zvonareva she is just everywhere she wants to play every tournamentAnd that's a problem because...? :confused:

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM
The only thing Serena is suffering from is kicking it in St Barts with her fat boyfriend...and not training...:tape:

JK...Calm down...:p

Linnie
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM
The news mention that Amélie notified her decision in Christmas.Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Elldee
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM
I think Amelie's just decided to start at the AO and thinks that that's the best plan of action, however sensible that is. I believe Serena's still suffering though as she's still playing doubles.

améliemomo
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Well... a little bit sad not to see amélie playing again :sad: but if she has an injury she has to be very careful in order to be ready for melbourne and in good forme.

Take care amélie and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Fantastic
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Sharapova vs Vaidisova should be an interesting match.

Fantastic
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
If Maria Sharapova was gay, she'd wipe the floor with Amelie Mauresmo and Martina Navratilova in the iconic lesbian stakes. Momo and Martina who? ;)

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
This is a great experience for Nicole. No pressure, and she can play a couple of different top players. I hope she can pick up on a couple of key learnings even if she doesn't win any matches. The match against Maria will be very interesting!!!
It will also be good practice for Venus. Hopefully she can play well and prepare for a good AO!!! I would love to see all of these matches!!

DEETHELICK
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hope the ladies get well soon and Elena D will certainly have to use her experience to help her through :)

jace
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:27 PM
Rumors? I've never heard them. Where do they come from? Is there a reason to believe that at all?

Lapin
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM
I wish we knew what injury Amélie has, whether it's adducter strain like at Filderstadt again, or something else.... I'll be gutted if she's not better for the Aus Open... :sad: