PDA

View Full Version : Rumours about Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere....

crazillo
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:37 PM
This has been posed on MaggieMail:

Maggie's sister's comeback in Australia?

ADVERTISEMENT

Hi everybody,

I have some very exciting news... Is Manuela Maleeva, Maggie's elder sister, planning a comeback at the age of 37? She's reported to be traveling and actually practicing with Maggie in Gold Coast Australia. They were seen having long and passionate conversations with former No1 (aged 48 and still playing) Martina Navratilova earlier this week. Is she walking on Martina Hingis' (who is a Swiss citizen just like Manuela who's been living in Switzeland since 1987 and eventually got married there, though she divorced last year) footsteps? Do the two sisters plan to play doubles this year as this is supposedly her last year on the tour? What about Katia (the second sister who also belonged to the top 10)? Or is Maggie only taking advice from her sister as Manuela played her best tennis in her last year on the tour (1993, ending with a title in Japan for her last tournament in february 1994)? No matter what this sounds like a very interesting challenge... Those who have bee n watching report that Manuela's game is still very competitive and that she's in great shape... Can anyone watch it and report in the coming days? Thanks in advance and happy new year!

jimbo mack
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:49 PM
manuela's not coming back lol

crazillo
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:16 PM
I know....
I think he overdid, too.
But at least she supports Maggie. ;)

crazillo
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:25 PM
They would get kicked their ass. ;)

JohnBoy
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM
That's a shame that Manuela got divorced.. My view is that she retired premeturely and could have achieved more.. If she is in Australia I can't wait cause I live in Melbourne and will be going to Maggie's matches at the Open.

PSUjcapfan
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:59 AM
how old is manuela now

TFan1156
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:00 AM
how old is manuela now

tommyk75
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
I'm sad Manuela divorced, too. They looked like such a nice couple... Did Katerina ever get married?

gmak
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:19 AM
manuela retiring at age 26 just makes me :sad: :sad: :sobbing:

the same with gabby and kimiko

JenFan75
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:35 AM
I hope Manuela doesn't come back...It might be too painfully bad to watch.

crazillo
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Maggie plays doubles with Likhovtseva as they did at the Pan Pacifics, too. They reached the final there.
Hope they will play as good here. :)

Fantastic
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
Manuela had played pro tennis since she was 15, so she had been on tour for 12 straight years when she retired. It was only a shame that she retired just when she was starting to play the best tennis of her career. She wanted kids though, and her husband wanted her at home, so it was a sacrifice she was willing to make.

Fantastic
Jan 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Katerina was like the forgotten Maleeva sister. She didn't acheive as high a career ranking as her sisters and lagged behind in popularity and profile. She also wore glasses (off the court). Maggie was "the prodigy," the cute, little girl with blonde curls, while big sister Manuela was always the prettiest, most popular, overacheiving player in the family - "It's just not fair! Manuela! Manuela! Manuela!"

I'll never forget Pam's quote about them and their oncourt demeanour. Manuela was "Boo" and Katerina was "Hoo", and then when Maggie came on tour, there was a little "Boo-Hoo." Pam was such a bitch. And so is karma. Ping-pong serves, anyone? :p ;)