PDA

View Full Version : Which player would you love to win a grand slam, but just know its beyond them...

:Rawwb:
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:06 PM
...to do so as it may be beyond their capabilities or just know that they cannot win one.

It may seem a daft question to you but i think this about a lot of players but i want to see your suggestions :D

momito
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:15 PM
guess for me it's still amélie. :hearts: hm, well, hope she will win one day and get back to number one -> the real number one :worship:

Caz
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:02 PM
Magüi. :sad: But I'd love to be proved wrong! :D

Julia1968
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Amelie Mauresmo

jonny84
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:48 PM
I would love to see either Flavia Pennetta or Martina Sucha win one - highly unlikely but i suppose you can say not beyond the realms of possibility

But I would love Maggie Maleeva to win one - shame there isnt a carpet slam.

Dec 31st, 2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all your response guys :D I would love one of the serra-zanetti stsers to win one, although i am pretty sure it is never going to happen....I agree jonny i would like to see sucha win one also.

Volcana
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:19 PM
'Just' beyond them? Elena Dementieva comes to mind. But I think she and Amelie ARE capable. Being good enough doesn't mean you do. Mary Jo Fernandez made three GS singles finals. The best player I can't see ever winning one is Ai Sugiyama.

Babolatpro880
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:18 PM
Jelena D. But.... there's still hope right? :sad:

Teemu
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Well, I often feel sorry for Vera so I guess I'd like her to win one, but as said, can't see it happening. She's got the talent, but she's just not a 'big match girl'. Everything can change though...

KV
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM
D. Safina

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Chand Rubin win a grandslam

crazillo
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:32 PM
I would love to see either Flavia Pennetta or Martina Sucha win one - highly unlikely but i suppose you can say not beyond the realms of possibility

But I would love Maggie Maleeva to win one - shame there isnt a carpet slam.

She might come out of retirement after one was created in 2030. ;)

tom2791
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:33 PM
Chanda Rubin, Fabiola Zuluaga, Lubomira Kurhajcova or Dally Randriantefy

Dava
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM
I think it would just be the best thing ever if Asagoe won a slam...Can you imagine...she would just piss herself laughin.

tennispro105
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:58 PM
I would have loved for amanda coetzer to win just one before she retiered! she got SO close in 97!

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:01 PM
emilie loit. but it seems impossible. :sad:

Elldee
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:08 PM
Patty Schnyder - her US Open 2004 match highlighted her problem, she's steamrollered by power.

Zvonereva - Somethings missing, she lacks weapons and she can't seem to get the big wins she needs.

Dechy - I think she's really good, but I don't see it happening without her gaining more power.

Smackie
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:15 PM
Daniela Hantuchova. Before the Russian tsunami and the Sisters were off injured, she had 'some' chance, but guess what, she chose to have a slump. It could be too late now.

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:33 AM
nahh. Daniela definitely has talent, actually i think daniela is like one of those elite players in the top tens. but i have no idea why is she hanging around at the 20s-30s?

Prizeidiot
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:22 AM
I don't think Hantuchova has the strength of mind to win a slam unfortunately. I would happily have her prove me wrong though...

A slam would be beyond Loit as well, which also sucks

SilK
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:33 AM
I def. don't think in the case of Mauresmo, or Dementieva, that it is 'beyond' them! I mean, Dementieva should improve, lets say, certain aspects of her game, but if you can reach a final TWICE, you are well capable of winning one as well IMO. As for MoMo, she needs to get a hold of those nerves. It's like, she can win any tournament, except the ones that REALLY MATTER. The Slams, or YEC for that matter!

I'd like to see Davenport win another slam. But I think that is beyond her as well at the moment. I would've liked to see Kournikova win one, not even going further into that one though...

Hmm... Cara Black, was so promosing as a junior. Would love to see her win a singles slam, to complete the list. But that is not going to happen. Also, as mentioned before, Rubin. As for the up and comers, I would like to see Vaidisova and Krajicek win a slam. But who knows if they will, it is too early in their carreers to say if they have a true shot.

As for 2005. I want Molik to win a slam. With a good draw she should be able to as well. But it might be a little over her head. But it sure would be great!

hingis-seles
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
Monica Seles to win Wimbledon.

setpoint
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Chanda Rubin--but I do not believe winning a slam is beyond her.

crazillo
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Maggie Maleeva, some japanese players

Thauron
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM
Ai sugiyama (singles of course!) and Vera Zvonareva. I love to see them play but...

If Momo or Elena D would never get a slam in their career it would not be because of lack of ability - both of them are very well up to win a slam - so they shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

Jan 1st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Hmm... Cara Black, was so promosing as a junior. Would love to see her win a singles slam, to complete the list. But that is not going to happen. Also, as mentioned before, Rubin. As for the up and comers, I would like to see Vaidisova and Krajicek win a slam. But who knows if they will, it is too early in their carreers to say if they have a true shot.

I agree Silas, #1 as a junior and her singles career really hasnt been to bright. After her doubles performance on the last day of Wimbledon this year i just felt so happy for her to acheive what she did that day and i wish she could also win a singles slam.

*Jool*
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:14 PM
I want all my faves to win at least one(more) slam
But it seems really hard for all of them ...

mboyle
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:50 PM
Another slam? Hingis for sure

A slam? Kournikova

Brαm
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM
I'd love to see Els Callens win a doubles slam but I don't think she's capable of it (not anymore) :awww:

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM
Amy and Patty :)

sarza
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Laura Granville

Cyandream
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:53 PM
Shenay Perry. I like her game and her spunk. Also, I agree with Three, I'd love to Emilie Loit when the AO or the French.

brunof
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:11 PM
It would be really nice to see Ai Sugiyama win a slam. She is so deserving.

Although it's not the same as winning a slam, it would be great to see Tamarine Tanasugarn reach a QF or better at a slam, preferably Wimbledon, since she could be considered the "Round of 16 Queen." :angel:

icequeen
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:16 PM
Kim but I don't think she will ever win one.

SzavayFi
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM
Seems like Chanda or Patty will never do it. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG GIRLS.
I also thing that Daniela Hantuchova has the talent to win a slam but not the MENTAL stamina.

jenny161185
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:32 PM
another slam?capriati

a slam?Kournikova!

clonesheep
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
I'd love to see Daniela winning a slam but it seems beyond her now. Other even longer shots: Lindsay Lee-Waters, Shinobu Asagoe.

These are the players who I want to win a slam and who can actually win: Vera Zvonareva, Elena Dementieva, Karolina Sprem.

*roddicksinme*
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
everyone in my sig :)

SzavayFi
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
everyone in my sig :)
Ah I think some of the people in your sig have a reasonable chance. :)

MisterQ
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:30 AM
Ai Sugiyama and Paola Suarez (singles of course)

Chanda Rubin also (although I think she is actually capable...)

Shenay La Soul
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:14 AM
I'd really love to see Shenay Perry win a singles slam (I think she can win a doubles or mixed) but I seriously doubt it. Aniko Kapros has the weapons to win a slam but needs to really work on her fitness.

JenFan75
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM
Asagoe, Rubin, Suarez, although I think all three of them are capable ( Well, maybe not Shinobu, but it's ok to dream!)

greenfunkTHREE.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
I don't think Hantuchova has the strength of mind to win a slam unfortunately. I would happily have her prove me wrong though...

A slam would be beyond Loit as well, which also sucks

:sad: lets hope that loit can win more titles, as for hantuchova, if she cant win a grand slam she's gotta win more tier 1s! :D:D

DEETHELICK
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
I think Rubin's time has passed and I think her game was always interesting to watch. :)

mboyle
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:17 AM
Hey, how about Suzzanne Lenglen for another one?;) Now THAT is truly impossible...

i heart backhand
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:34 AM
Meghann Shaughnessy. I had such high hopes when she almost cracked the top 10, but it just never happened. She has the serve (when she's on), but I don't know what happened to her last year. Here's to hoping she has a much better '05.

samn
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Chanda Rubin, Silvia Farina Elia, or Magdalena Maleeva.

igost
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:17 PM
Alina Jidkova