PDA

View Full Version : Is Mary Going To Play In Sydney

tennisfan_19
Dec 31st, 2004, 08:18 AM
I have just read in an Australian paper that Mary Pierce is entered in the Sydney International tournament, and that she has not indicated that she will not be withdrawing. Does any one know if Mary will be playing this tournament?

Mark Spruce
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:34 AM
I had not heard I thing sorry

Mark

Mark Spruce
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:46 AM
Pierce in doubt for Sydney
December 30, 2004

MEDIBANK International organisers are unsure if former world No.3 Mary Pierce will play in the Sydney tournament starting January 9.

The Frenchwoman today pulled out of next week's ASB Classic women's tournament in Auckland for medical reasons.

But Pierce, ranked 29 in the world, has not contacted Sydney organisers to inform them of any medical condition.

A Medibank International spokesman Craig Gabriel today said Pierce had until Saturday to pull out of the Australian Open warm-up event or risk being fined.

"We have not heard anything as yet," Gabriel said.

"If anything happens it will have to be in the next couple of days.

"We would have to be told before Saturday's draw or she will be fined."

It was unclear whether Pierce was still suffering from the stomach injury which kept her out of France's Fed Cup final clash with Russia in Moscow last month.

ASB Classic tournament director Richard Palmer said losing the event's third seed was a big blow.

"Mary's withdrawal is extremely disappointing however it is a reality in sport at all levels that players do get injured," he said.

christo
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:05 PM
Mary won't play here and is in doubt for Melbourne but I think she will play the AO

Mark Spruce
Dec 31st, 2004, 07:11 PM
I do hope so much that she will be ok for the AU Open 2005

Mark