PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova `devastated' by disaster

10nisfanofruz
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:48 AM
Star pledges to put on a show to lift spirits

WANCHAI RUJAWONGSANTI

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova says she was ``devastated'' and ``shocked'' by the deadly tsunamis that hit Asia, including Thailand, on Sunday but expects a ``great show'' in her exhibition match against former world number one Venus Williams of the United States.

``I was devastated by the disaster. I was shocked. Everybody was shocked. It's shocking,'' said the teenage prodigy who will play world number nine Williams in Chiang Mai on Sunday.

``I'm happy that the match will go on as scheduled. I'm honoured to be here.

``It's going to be a great show. I hope everything is back to normal soon.

``People should learn a lesson from the tsunami catastrophe that life can be unpredictable and that we should all look forward to the bright side.''

Sharapova, who also won the lucrative season-ending championship, donated US$10,000 to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to help the victims of the disaster.

Thousands have been killed and injured in Thailand alone.

In the wake of the disaster, all parties which Sharapova was scheduled to attend have been cancelled including a New Year countdown in Chiang Mai.

However, the 17-year-old Russian will today go to Hua Hin today to help promote tourism there.

Sharapova, ranked fourth in the world, said she had been training hard for the match against Williams and would play it like a competitive match.

She described her 2004 season as ``amazing'' and hoped to achieve more great things although she did not have any particular goal for next year.

``I'd love to win again at Wimbledon. I'd love to be the number one in the world but I don't put pressure on myself,'' said Sharapova.

Despite having a great year, she was not in the Russian squad, led by French Open champion Anastasia Myskina, that won the Fed Cup for the first time.

She claimed she was unfit although it was reported that certain Russian players, particluarly Myskina, did not want her in the team.

``I hope to play in the Fed Cup next year,'' she said.

Earlier yesterday, Sharapova, who arrived late on Wednesday night, attended the foundation stone laying ceremony for the national tennis development centre at Muang Thong Thani.

Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop, who is also president of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand, said it was unfortunate that the Russian star player came to Thailand at a criticial time but she was pleased by the security, hospitality, accommodation and warmth of the Thai people.

Sharapova will play Williams in a two-set match at the 700th Anniversary in Chiang Mai on Sunday at 3pm, which will be shown live on Channel 7.

It will be followed by a one-set doubles match featuring Sharapova and TamarineTanasugarn against Williams and Suchanan Viratprasert.

Williams was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok late last night. :sad:

<www.bangkokpost.com>

Vut
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:28 AM
Thanks! Maria :hearts:

mboyle
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:57 AM
No, Maria, it shows that Asia needs to get its act together and develop a sophisticated disaster warning system. Don't tell me the money isn't there when Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, China and Australia are all part of that region. US should set up on the west coast and S. Pacific side.

Aretha Franklin
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:03 AM
No, Maria, it shows that Asia needs to get its act together and develop a sophisticated disaster warning system. Don't tell me the money isn't there when Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, China and Australia are all part of that region. US should set up on the west coast and S. Pacific side.

screw warning systems - that is not important now sister. these people need aid. and a lot more than the 35 million the US is giving. we are very stingy.

Aretha Franklin
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:05 AM
besides phuket the major losses came in remote villages in indonesia and sri lanka. great to have sophisticated warnings systems to tell people disaster is coming when most of them are struggling to survive from day to day.

~ The Leopard ~
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:49 AM
This must be mboyle's most insensitive effort yet. Give the kid top marks! :)

Greenout
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:07 AM

Sorry Mboyle, you don't know your Asian history.

Japan isn't exactly famous for being chummy with the countries
in the region. They've only started to buddy up post WWII
with countries in the area.

Malaysia aren't exactly best friends with Singapore, which
if you aren't familiar with use to be a part of Malaysia!

Taiwan has only begun to seperate themselves with China,
they are to date not good chums with China.

Korea and Japan aren't what I even call friends!

Australia and Japan have only begun to give each other
some respect in the past 12 years!

We haven't even begun to tell you about the
relationships between India, Indonesia, Thailand,
Sri Lanka etc...are.

We are talking about a region as diverse as possible.
There's Muslims, Hindu's, Christians, Buddhists, etc...

If you want to talk about responsibility- it was the USA/Japan
that had the tsunami tracking center based in Hawaii for
the Pacific region. Yes, the USA. The world's most powerful
country!

You have to understand that Japan, can't do jack
because their world politics/power was stripped by
the USA post WWII and aren't allow to anything in the region
ever again unless the USA approves of it. (remember? that war?)
Japan isn't really allowed to work with say...Taiwan to create
something because China or Korea may suspect that they're
trying to provoke some sort of alliance for war.

P.S Good girl Maria. I don't care if it's PR or whatever.
A gesture is a gesture. Paradorn? I hope that $250 is lie or
I have lost all respect for him. :tape:

RenaSlam.
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:32 AM
``I was devastated by the disaster. I was shocked. Everybody was shocked. It's shocking,'' said the teenage prodigy who will play world number nine Williams in Chiang Mai on Sunday.

<www.bangkokpost.com>

Wow Maria, were you shocked?? :rolleyes: :lol:

Vut
Dec 31st, 2004, 07:58 AM
Tammy has donate US$2500! :hearts:

**Jelica**
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:46 AM
Good on Maria..I have to admit that I haven't been her biggest fan, but I respect her for this..it's good.

Brαm
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:23 PM
Wow Maria, were you shocked?? :rolleyes: :lol:
What's so funny? :mad:

*abby*
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:39 PM
the troll seems to be amused that maria, like the majority of the world, was shocked by the disaster.....asswipe!
how much money have you donated???

jacobruiz
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:20 PM
screw warning systems - that is not important now sister. these people need aid. and a lot more than the 35 million the US is giving. we are very stingy.
But how can the U.S. give more and still keep the tax breaks for the rich? That's our government's priority!:rolleyes:

Good for you, Maria!