PDA

View Full Version : I need help please!

pinkfrog
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM
My friend and I were talking tennis and he mentioned a match where one of the players bumped into the other during a change over. But unfortunately he can't remember exactly when it happened (he said a few years ago), and he couldn't remember who the players were. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be so grateful!! Thanks!!

*roddicksinme*
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
1997 USO semifinal Venus Williams d. Irina Spirlea

bwguy
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Score: 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 7-6 (9-7)

From an article: The bumping incident occurred after Williams held serve to lead 4-3 in the second set. The players collided as they walked to their chairs on the changeover. Neither attempted to avoid the other, and neither apologized.
"I'm not going to move (out of the way)," said Spirlea, who was once fined a record $20,000 for cursing an umpire in Palermo, Sicily. "She's never trying to turn (to get out of the way). She thinks she's (expletive) Venus Williams. I was like, `I want to see if she's turning.' She didn't, so ... "
Williams downplayed the collision.
"I'm not having any injuries from that bump," she said with a smile. "I think we just both weren't looking. I think we both were just concentrating on trying to stay in the match and trying to win the match. I'm sorry she feels that way. It's not really a big thing to me."

pinkfrog
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:58 PM
thanks for the info. I thought it was going to be hingis:)

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM
something else, from men's tennis tho, Gilles Elseneer, a Belgian, was playing Robin Söderling from Sweden at Wimbledon (1st or 2nd Round I guess). Really close match, and then when they changed sides during a tie break(it was 6-0 or 5-1 for Elseneer), Söderling really bumped into Elseneer, nothing accidentally, you really saw him going towards Elseneer! Elseneer was totallly surprised by it, lost his concentration and lost the set and later on the match! really not fair! they showed it later that evening on BBC and everyone agree that this wasn't great sportmanship at all by Elseneer! :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Go Irina!

_LuCaS_
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Irina thank you for bringing Romania in the top 10.