PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova donates $10,000. to quake victims

tennischick
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, due to play an exhibition match in Thailand against Venus Williams, will donate $10,000 to help victims of the killer tsunamis that hit the kingdom, a minister said on Wednesday.

Deputy Prime Minister and tennis association head Suwat Liptapanlop said the Russian starlet, scheduled to arrive in Bangkok late on Wednesday, had notified him about her generosity.

"She informed us that she wanted to donate 10,000 dollars of her own money to the government's victim relief fund," Suwat said.

The fund, launched yesterday, had already received donations amounting to 108 million baht ($2.77 mn), according to media reports.

Although a gala dinner to be held for Sharapova and Williams would be cancelled out of respect for the unprecedented loss of life, the match scheduled for January 2 in the northern city of Chiang Mai was due to go ahead.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1174914,00050004.htm

MisterQ
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:11 AM
good to hear. :)

I hope others will follow her lead.

esquímaux
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Very cool of Maria :)

silverwhite
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Great of her! :)

Hayato
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:42 AM
good on her. Hopefully other players like Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Anastasia, Jennifer e.t.c can follow in her footsteps :)

Miranda
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:44 AM
:worship: :worship: Maria has a kind heart :angel:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Hopefully other players like Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Anastasia, Jennifer e.t.c can follow in her footsteps
As Venus will be playing against Masha at the Thai exhibition, I think Venus will also announce her donation to the Thai victims after she arrives in Thailand tonight at 11pm.

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:17 AM
good on her. Hopefully other players like Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Anastasia, Jennifer e.t.c can follow in her footsteps :)

yeahh! hopefully they could donate more. :D and that sure was very nice for maria.

Williams Rulez
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:45 AM
tt's awesome! :)

Lemonskin.
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:51 AM
:) Great stuff Masha :D

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM
:):)

Stephieva
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Srichaphan also donated ...
about 250 USD :o :rolleyes: :o
those who thinks Masha donated too little must feel much better...
Shichaphan is Thai and gave out his $250...:lol:

tennnisfannn
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Srichaphan also donated ...
about 250 USD :o :rolleyes: :o
those who thinks Masha donated too little must feel much better...
Shichaphan is Thai and gave out his $250...:lol:Surely you jest?:lol: :lol: Maybe there is no money in tennis like some thread said a few days ago.
The australian cricket team gave 17000 AUSD, that was prize money for the entire team, there is even less money in cricket.

Stephieva
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:42 AM
I saw news and they said so...:o :o :o
me heard Srichaphan bought Ferrari which cost him almost $500K...
but he donated $250 ...:retard:
Even some people I know and earning like 10K a year donates more than him...:ras:
Maybe he will donate more but right now...$250 :lol:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Masha is generous. As we know, after winning the Yec, she donated a US$56,300 car or proceeds from its sale to the survivors of hostage-taking in Beslan.

ae wowww
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:26 AM
:worship: and I always thought Maria had been changed by success. Hopefully some of the other big names can do this, $10,000 cant be much to someone who won $1million in their last tournament, alone; but think how helpful it would be where it is needed.

Jakeev
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Class act by Maria that is all I can say:worship:

CooCooCachoo
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Very good decision :woohoo: :bowdown:

Whatzup
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:48 AM
:yeah: Good job Masha! If I had the money I would give it too!

chantie
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Way the go Maria!!!!! :D :angel:

moby
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Maria :yeah:
It probably isn't much to her, but it means a lot to the victims.

Hopefully, the top players can all chip in and help as they are pretty well-off, though of course, they are not obliged to do so.
But Paradorn... it is his country for heaven's sakes, and he's apparently loaded :rolleyes:

wateva
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM
classy maria! :kiss:

Daniel
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Maria :yeah:

matthias
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:58 AM
okay it is great she gave some money, but 10K for her is likey 10$ for us
so she could have give more.
but at least she gave, and this is great

10nisfanofruz
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:12 AM
She gave the money to Thai PM this afternoon at the government office.
Her father alse was there<He looked different from what I saw earlier,much better looking,not looked like an old guy at all>
Both had the smile on their faces while having the conversation with Thai PM.
Maria looked happy. She arrived in Bangkok wearing yellow T-shirt with military jacket style. She looked nice. ;)

tom2791
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Thats so nice of Maria,

icequeen
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
As Venus will be playing against Masha at the Thai exhibition, I think Venus will also announce her donation to the Thai victims after she arrives in Thailand tonight at 11pm.

Why would Venus have to announce it. You don't have to announce everything you give. I don't know what Maria is trying to prove but to me it sounds like publicty. I am sure Venus does and give what she has to in private and does not have to advertise it all over the place to be like.

flyingmachine
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:37 AM
That's nice from Maria. :)
Srichaphan :o :o :o :o :o :o

gladysharon
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
well done!! :D

Serena+LenaDrule
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
:o Srichapan :o

ae wowww
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:53 AM
I wonder if many players/celebs have done it under wraps, they don't want to seem to be doing it for publicity, so could make effectively anonymous donations.
Paradorn, it would've been better if he hadn't given at all. And being from Thailand as well, I am shocked, if what I've read is all there is to it.

Experimentee
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I think most of the players or famous people would be keeping their donations secret, and I strongly doubt that anyone knows exactly how much Paradorn or anyone is donating unless they announce it.
Donations should be something private and not to be announced to the world as if you are showing off how rich or how generous you are. Its so wrong for people to go around comparing how much everyone donated.

icequeen
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I think most of the players or famous people would be keeping their donations secret, and I strongly doubt that anyone knows exactly how much Paradorn or anyone is donating unless they announce it.
Donations should be something private and not to be announced to the world as if you are showing off how rich or how generous you are. Its so wrong for people to go around comparing how much everyone donated.

So true.

Drimal
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Maria Sharapova has really a good heart! :clap2: :yeah: :clap2:

She is not so egoistic as many people think. :D

I've read that she gave the car she won at the YEC away at gave the money for charity too. :D

Maria you show all these haters (and there are also many of these stupid and nasty haters envious of everybody who has success on this tennis board!! :tape: :tape: ) that you have a golden heart. :wavey:

I really hope that others will follow this very nice example. :D

tenn_ace
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:43 PM

actually, Maria did NOT announce it. It was Thai Tennis Federation President who did. So I wish you get off her back.

And if push comes to shove, I don't mind rich people announcing it as long as they keep donations coming...

Thanks, Masha! You have a great heart!:worship:

PS. BTW, it looks like Thai Tennis Federation President had not much to say about Venus... Has he?:p

crazillo
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:44 PM

That's the same I was thinking.

I hope and THINK others will follow.

Another tennis forum I write in will organize an exhibiton tournament and everybody has to sign up with some Euro and can eat a lot etc. to gain money for them.

It probably won't be much, but everything does help.

daniela86
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:46 PM
masha is a great person :) :D :yeah: :yeah: :D :worship: :worship:

*roddicksinme*
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Maria :kiss:

Dan23
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Well done Maria, very nice thing to do..:clap2:
Im certain Maria genuinely feels saddened by this as she did with the seige in Russia during the USO.
She has been the 1st to act after both of these tradgedies :)

Well done to the Aussie cricket team too for donating all their prizemoney :worship:

Experimentee
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM
actually, Maria did NOT announce it. It was Thai Tennis Federation President who did. So I wish you get off her back.

And if push comes to shove, I don't mind rich people announcing it as long as they keep donations coming...

Thanks, Masha! You have a great heart!:worship:

PS. BTW, it looks like Thai Tennis Federation President had not much to say about Venus... Has he?:p

Actually I was talking more about those who criticise Paradorn, and now you criticising Venus, for not announcing donations. They are under no obligation to announce anything, and its ideal that they dont, and no one else should either. You should not donate money to get approval or respect from others, it should be because you want to help.

tenn_ace
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Actually I was talking more about those who criticise Paradorn, and now you criticising Venus, for not announcing donations. They are under no obligation to announce anything, and its ideal that they dont, and no one else should either. You should not donate money to get approval or respect from others, it should be because you want to help.
what YOU should NOT do is to tell people who actually do walk the walk instead of talking the talk...

gosistaz
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Masha is generous. As we know, after winning the Yec, she donated a US$56,300 car or proceeds from its sale to the survivors of hostage-taking in Beslan.

It's so funny people think of this as soo generous when it was already planned by the tournament that the winner could decide who would receive the car as a donation, she had no choice but to donate it

but, like her or not, publicity or not, its great that she donated to the flood victims and its probably gonna help a lot of people

lizchris
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:37 PM

If the other players do it, especially Venus and Serena, I don't think they will press release it because it will look as if they are getting cheap publicity over this horrendus tragedy.

Experimentee
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
what YOU should NOT do is to tell people who actually do walk the walk instead of talking the talk...

Stop being so damn sensitive. I am not bashing anyone, just saying how I believe the principle of charity should be :rolleyes:
I'm not saying its terrible to announce donations of famous people, just ideal that they dont.
Why must everyone on GM try to read something negative into every bloody thing thats said. I'm not here to pick fights, unlike some of you.

Dan23
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:55 PM
If the other players do it, especially Venus and Serena, I don't think they will press release it because it will look as if they are getting cheap publicity over this horrendus tragedy.
I think part of the reason they publicised this donation so widely may have been to sort of justify their decision to go ahead with the exhibition and show that it can raise funds to help with the aftermath :)
Maria would have done it regardless of their publicity anyhow..

lizchris
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I think part of the reason they publicised this donation so widely may have been to sort of justify their decision to go ahead with the exhibition and show that it can raise funds to help with the aftermath :)

I think the others would have too, especially Venus, Serena and Lindsay (all of whom have made more money from tennis than Maria has to date).

fifiricci
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
It would seem that there's just no pleasing you lot, if you represent a snapshot of the baying general public :rolleyes:

If a player quietly makes a donation without publicising it, half of you are going to assume that they haven't given anything and criticise them for that.

If a player makes a donation and states that in public, they are going to be criticised by the other half for seeking publicity and/or not being generous enough because they didnt give away half their career earnings in one fell swoop!

I hope all the people who have sanctimoniously bitched on here about players' donations have already made their own personal donation to the disaster fund.

:mad:

tenn_ace
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:04 PM
It would seem that there's just no pleasing you lot, if you represent a snapshot of the baying general public :rolleyes:

If a player quietly makes a donation without publicising it, half of you are going to assume that they haven't given anything and criticise them for that.

If a player makes a donation and states that in public, they are going to be criticised by the other half for seeking publicity and/or not being generous enough because they didnt give away half their career earnings in one fell swoop!

I hope all the people who have sanctimoniously bitched on here about players' donations have already made their own personal donation to the disaster fund.

:worship:

lizchris
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I have, so when it comes to me, you can step the hell off.

améliemomo
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
very generous Maria :)

Experimentee
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Exactly, that is why they should not announce donations. If they do, people think the celebrity is doing it for publicity, if they announce some but not others, people assume the others have not donated anything, which may be wrong. All the problems would be solved if they just let everyone contribute in peace.
I certainly did donate money but I dont think it is right to go around announcing it :p

Dan23
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I think the others would have too, especially Venus, Serena and Lindsay (all of whom have made more money from tennis than Maria has to date).
I dont disagree, im sure youre right :)

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:18 PM
It's so funny people think of this as soo generous when it was already planned by the tournament that the winner could decide who would receive the car as a donation, she had no choice but to donate it

Maria had to donate that Porsche to charity, and getting an article about a $10,000 donation, when she's making about $200,000, is very well spent PR money.

Vut
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks!! Maria :hearts:

Princess Fiona
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Maria sounds like a very caring person. :) for Maria. :)

jacobruiz
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Why would Venus have to announce it. You don't have to announce everything you give. I don't know what Maria is trying to prove but to me it sounds like publicty. I am sure Venus does and give what she has to in private and does not have to advertise it all over the place to be like.

Some people just can't stand to hear anything nice about Maria without criticizing it.:rolleyes: The article referred to is NOT a press release! It states that upon her arrival Maria told the Deputy Prime Minister, who is also the head of the Tennis Association that she would like to donate $10,000 to the relief fund. HE announced it.

Give the kid a break for Christ's sake.

Erdinger
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM
:bowdown: Maria! :bowdown:

grmbl
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Maria :worship:

cheo23
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:05 PM
LOL@u...OBVIOUSLY..THEY HAVE mADE MORE MONEY because they've been on the TOUR for a LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

New
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Well done Maria!!! :)

cheo23
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:09 PM

:worship: SAY NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muffin the Mule
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Well done Maria & Venus :)

Let's hope the rest of the sports world continue to follow your example

Martian KC
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:29 PM
How do you donate a porsche to charity?

nouf
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM
:-)

for fans i add pics in my article!

http://mashafan.free.fr/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=73&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Slumpsova
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:52 PM
he just also bough a new home cost $150000 :o
what a selfish ass :fiery:

mamno_MARYFAN
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Good of Maria...I don't like her much, but its good of her to donate some money to the poor victims...:worship:

And guys, if it was for publicity, Maria wouldn't take the trouble to donate. There are other ways. Think of Kournikova.:rolleyes:

My prayers for us fellow Asians who fell victim to the tsunami...:sad: :sad: :sad:

lizchris
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:58 PM
LOL@u...OBVIOUSLY..THEY HAVE mADE MORE MONEY because they've been on the TOUR for a LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Some fool (it was probaby you) said that Maria was set to make more money than Serena this year from tennis and endorsements, which I find hard to believe since Serena will earn at least $5 million from Nike and millions from her other endorsements.

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Darren Rovell from ESPN.com said it. He said "likely" the highest paid.

Kart
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM
This is a nice thing of her to do.

You can be cynical and argue it's a publicity stunt or say she could have given more but the fact remains she's done a commendable thing.

lizchris
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Darren Rovell from ESPN.com said it.
Said what?

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:02 PM
He said Maria is likely the highest paid woman athlete.

lizchris
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:03 PM
He said Maria is likely the highest paid woman athlete.
For tennis earnings, yes, but adding her tennis earnings with her endorsements, probably not.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Maria :worship: :bowdown: :worship:

Yet a few haters (icequeen, Goldenlox) have to have a go at her saying it's publicity :rolleyes:

Paradorn :fiery: :tape: and he supposed to be a legend in Thailand :o makes me hate him even more :rolleyes:

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Even some people I know and earning like 10K a year donates more than him...:ras:
Maybe he will donate more but right now...$250 :lol:

of cos he only had $250 to give. he just bought a ferrari for heaven sake!
but then again he has already made $2,426,856. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Escape
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Well done Maria & Venus :)

Let's hope the rest of the sports world continue to follow your example

They have, every English premier league Footy team have donated £ 50,000 each.

tennis ace
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM
that's very nice of maria:)

-Em-
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Well, if only every celebrity gave like 10K, it would really, really help....:o
so saying sth like that sounds just so very stupid dude :rolleyes:

ans
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:59 PM
That's really nice of her but isn't this an obvious thing to do if you see the images of the horrible disaster? I donated money too and I don't have millions of dollars on my bank account and I'm sure many others did the same, famous or not famous.

Jakeev
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Oh shut the fuck up would you. SHe is the first celebrity of any magnitude that has made any donation that I know of. Stop making something out of nothing would you.......

kikker
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
i will completely ignore all the critisizm :ras:
Maria :hug: :worship:
has a great heart and it was really nice of her to donate some money

treufreund
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
to criticize her generosity is absolutely absurd.
Maria :angel:

Sonja
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I don't see any point in comparing who gives what. Point is people are donating and, hopefully, the generousity of others will help these people get back on their feet.

Way to go Maria and everyone else who has donated, whether a large or small amount, every bit counts!

LefandePatty
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Great of Maria !! :) :kiss:

Knizzle
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Maria :worship:

ali
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I think celebs sometimes do reveal that they have donated to encourage others to follow their lead. I don't think anybody should be criticised for it. The Queen donated an undisclosed amount(she's a multi millionaire!) and it was hoped that, as the head of state, she would set an example to others.

The UK Premier league football clubs combined donated £1m and the England cricket team gave £15k. The British public have given over £25m since the appeal was launched 2 days ago. Every penny helps, and if by donating, a celebrity inspires just one of his/her fans to do the same, then its all good in my book.

jonny84
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Nice one Maria - lets hope other players follow suit to help the victims of the tragedy.

Knizzle
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:44 PM
How do you donate a porsche to charity?
It can be auctioned.

Knizzle
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM
This is a nice thing of her to do.

You can be cynical and argue it's a publicity stunt or say she could have given more but the fact remains she's done a commendable thing.
Yep. :worship:

lauryn
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Can't believe some of the reactions in this thread :(

I say well done Maria!

drivevolley
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:18 PM
:worship: Well done Maria :worship:

Doc
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:12 AM
Kudos to Maria for making a such a positive donation!

~ The Leopard ~
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:24 AM
Good for Maria for setting a benchmark. Hopefully this will encourage other people with money to donate amounts that are at least a bit more than loose change for them. :hehehe:

Allez Masha!

Cuckoo
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:25 AM
A Donation is a Donation and what Maria has contributed is veru commendable and very caring of others.

Great One Maria, your showing your generosity to others who are less fortunate in a time of need.

serenafan08
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:39 AM
I think that Maria has done a great deed - and she'll reap big rewards for it. I've been watching the story about the tsunami disaster, and I myself wish I could do something to help those people! It's so sad and unfortunate, and I'm glad to see that she's willing to lend a helping hand. I echo everyone else by saying that I hope other players will follow her lead and donate to help those people out, because they need everything they can get.

serenafan08
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:40 AM
Can't believe some of the reactions in this thread :(

I say well done Maria!
I agree! People need to be thankful that she even donated SOMETHING!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:57 AM
http://www.pantip.com/cafe/supachalasai/topic/S3206268/S3206268-0.jpg

Dec 30, 2005 : Maria and Tammy at Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT), Construction Ceremony of new LTAT Tennis Complex
http://www.pantip.com/cafe/supachalasai/topic/S3206268/S3206268-5.jpg

( Sharapova with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra )

Sharapova donated US$10,000 to the victims of tsunami in Thailand.
Jiro, thanks a lot for Masha's pictures.

By the way, the Thai Prime Minister is one of the richest persons in Thailand, and he has donated US$800,000 to the 4 most affected Thai provinces.

Vut
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:22 AM
Thai people has donate about US$5,000,000 now!! :eek: (Including Maria , Thai Prime Minister and me :D)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:30 AM
Thai people has donate about US$5,000,000 now!!
I think the figure should already be higher than that: As you know, HM the King has donated US$750,000 (Prime Minister US$800,000).
(Including Maria , Thai Prime Minister and me
Good on you!

By the way, is it true that Paradorn only donated US$250? What about Tammy?

Stephieva
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:52 AM
Tammy donated $2,500 US :worship:
Tammy is an angel...
Many years when she have made $$$ from Wimby...(Tammy have been into 4th rd for many years)
she donated to charity 10-15% of what she earned...:angel:

I also appreciate with what Masha has done..
She isn't Thai but she is being considerate...
$$$ isn't the factor...

But Paradorn ..................
He is Thai and he makes much more $$$ than Tammy...
Butttttttt it's up to him...:)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the info, LenaD:me:MommyVera.

By the way, you're not Thai, right?

cheo23
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:38 AM
Some fool (it was probaby you) said that Maria was set to make more money than Serena this year from tennis and endorsements, which I find hard to believe since Serena will earn at least $5 million from Nike and millions from her other endorsements.
LOL@U
WHERE Did I EVEr Say that Maria made more money etc?
GET IT TOGETHER & Get U're FACTS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& stop changin the subject from makin more money by Tennis
to endorsements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vut
Dec 31st, 2004, 07:02 AM
Yes! Tammy has donote US$2500. Thai newspapers reported Paradorn donated US$250 (maybe, every money that he has got up to his mom) :rolleyes:

aliceb
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Well done Maria, but doesn't anyone else have a problem with her being photographed with the Thai leader when his govt has an appalling civil rights record? I'd have been happier if she'd been pictured handing the money to a representative of one of the charities instead.

*abby*
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:41 AM
to all ther haters....its a dam site more than you have donated!!
well done maria....she may be young but shes got a good head on her shoulders!:worship:

lizchris
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:16 PM
LOL@U
WHERE Did I EVEr Say that Maria made more money etc?
GET IT TOGETHER & Get U're FACTS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& stop changin the subject from makin more money by Tennis
to endorsements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retard, when FORBES magazine reports on the highest paid athletes sometime next year, they calculate what an athlete makes based on earnings from their sport and endorsements. That's how you explain Anna Kournikova was the highest paid female athlete until 2001 or 2002, when Venus became the highest paid female athlete, then Serena was last year and most likely will be this year too.

And BTW, no one chanegd the subject.

lizchris
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:19 PM
I don't see any point in comparing who gives what. Point is people are donating and, hopefully, the generousity of others will help these people get back on their feet.

Way to go Maria and everyone else who has donated, whether a large or small amount, every bit counts!

You have made the most sensible post to this thread, especially about comparing who has or is giving what.:worship: :worship: :worship:

jacobruiz
Dec 31st, 2004, 01:42 PM
You have made the most sensible post to this thread, especially about comparing who has or is giving what.:worship: :worship: :worship:

Perhaps you could follow her lead instead of fussing about who makes the most money?

Teemu
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:03 PM
:worship: Maria, very nice!

lizchris
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:04 PM
Perhaps you could follow her lead instead of fussing about who makes the most money?

I didn't start the argument about who makes the most money; I just tried to end it, which I hope this post will do until we know for sure.

pixy75
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Masha is like Mother Mary:hearts:

the cat
Dec 31st, 2004, 04:49 PM
Maybe Masha wants to make sure her 10k is being used properly before donating more money. There were charity scammers after 9-11 and there will be charity scammers after the tsunami disaster. :( People can't expect Masha to blindly donate say 100k to a charity and not know where it's really going. I've donated to many charities over the years and even if it's only a $20 donation I need to know my money is going into the right hands. If I believe it is I will donate more if I can. I hope Masha's money is going into the right hands. She certainly has her heart in the right place.

jacobruiz
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:02 PM
I didn't start the argument about who makes the most money; I just tried to end it, which I hope this post will do until we know for sure.

In this thread you were the first to bring up money, tennis earnings, endorsement money, Forbes magazine money leaders. All in an effort to put down Maria, in a Maria thread about the tsunami disaster.

Teemu
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:08 PM
In this thread you were the first to bring up money, tennis earnings, endorsement money, Forbes magazine money leaders. All in an effort to put down Maria, in a Maria thread about the tsunami disaster.

Look who's going crazy now! :) Leave the trolls in their caves and be happy and proud for Maria.

cheo23
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:10 PM
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAy NO MoRE! :worship:
lizchris said that Venus, SERENA & Lindsay have Made More MOney from tennis
than Maria
& liz just gettin Mad because I told that person Obviously they have Made
MOre MONEY IN Tennis BECause They've Been ON the Tour LONGER!!!
GET IT TOGETHER LIZCHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& Now liz is ADDIN Endorsements etc..RETARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

lizchris
Dec 31st, 2004, 09:22 PM
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAy NO MoRE! :worship:
he said that Venus, SERENA & Lindsay have Made More MOney from tennis
than Maria
& He's just gettin Mad because I told HIM Obviously they have Made
MOre MONEY IN Tennis BECause They've Been ON the Tour LONGER!!!
GET IT TOGETHER LIZCHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& Now he's ADDIN Endorsements etc..RETARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You are retarded if you think the name liz is a name for a man, which I am not.:rolleyes:

And learn how to spell.

pcrtennis
Dec 31st, 2004, 09:43 PM
It's great that Sharapova gave money but I feel like she likes to make it public ordeal to get publicity....but good for her.

Everyone on this board should donate too!

TennisTutor
Dec 31st, 2004, 10:14 PM
As Venus will be playing against Masha at the Thai exhibition, I think Venus will also announce her donation to the Thai victiums.

I'll believe that when I see it.
:cool:

harloo
Dec 31st, 2004, 10:41 PM
oh smart girl! LOL

peace

clonesheep
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:49 AM
Let's say if a man with $50,000 annual income donates $50 most would say that's a fair share. And that's about 1/1000 of his annual earning. Now I guess Maria earned about 5 millions last year so 1/1000 of that would be $5,000. The $10,000 she donated is more than adequate. But to me, any donation should be praised be it small or large.

Junex
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:57 AM

Exactly!

One more thing, my apologies if i have to bring this point up;

But if Mother Theresa's & Diana's charity works where never published or anything by the media, would you think their work would get appreciated and become icons of charity?

And the thing about paradorn donating $250.
Remember that charity is priceless!
No amount of money could replace generousity.
It is the thought that counts!
Sincere donation of a single cent is very much more appreciated

My condolences & peace to all the victims!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM
Yes! Tammy has donote US$2500. Thai newspapers reported Paradorn donated US$250 (maybe, every money that he has got up to his mom)
Thank you for this information!

It's so nice of Tammy.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:16 AM
Well done Maria, but doesn't anyone else have a problem with her being photographed with the Thai leader when his govt has an appalling civil rights record?
Actually it's quite complicated issue and situation.

Experimentee
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:47 AM
Well done Maria, but doesn't anyone else have a problem with her being photographed with the Thai leader when his govt has an appalling civil rights record? I'd have been happier if she'd been pictured handing the money to a representative of one of the charities instead.

So its great for her to give money to the Thais as long as she isnt photographed with them? :rolleyes:

akosijepoy
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM

i think it's better if they dont announce to the world that they give money to charity....it's more sincere and at least people wont accuse them of donating money so they will be talked about...

btw,good job maria for donating money :) :worship:

Crazy Canuck
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM
I didn't read most of the thread, too much bickering (that I wasn't a part of) ;)

Anyways, nice of her, and anybody else, to do this. Just remember, it's all relative. Somebody of her income doing this is akin to me pledging about 5 bucks. But every little bit helps, and that's what counts. Not how much and from who :)

akosijepoy
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM
Let's say if a man with $50,000 annual income donates $50 most would say that's a fair share. And that's about 1/1000 of his annual earning. Now I guess Maria earned about 5 millions last year so 1/1000 of that would be $5,000. The $10,000 she donated is more than adequate. But to me, any donation should be praised be it small or large.

i agree the amount of money is not the issue...by sharing your money to the victims it is for me an act that is worthy already of praise...

waratahsrock
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM
Good on Maria for giving the donation. Very thoughtful.

Lemonskin.
Jan 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM
As fpr those who think that Maria should have donated more...

I'm sure there's dozens of players that have earnt more than Maria that gave nothing...

cheo23
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:09 PM
You are retarded if you think the name liz is a name for a man, which I am not.:rolleyes:

And learn how to spell.
DID I EVER SAY U're Name is a Man's NAME?
GET IT TOGETHER!
by the Way..I do KNow how to Spell for U're RETARDED INFORMATION!

(•_•)
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM
Great of her!

I would not have thought her capable of it. I thought she was somebody
who isn't worried about something like this. It's really nice of her!
Although $10,000 is not that much to her probably, but to the victims it is.
:yeah: Good job Maria!

Srichaphan :eek: :mad:

Vut
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Great of her!

I would not have thought her capable of it. I thought she was somebody
who isn't worried about something like this. It's really nice of her!
Although $10,000 is not that much to her probably, but to the victims it is.
:yeah: Good job Maria!

Srichaphan :eek: :mad:
Today, Chennel 7 reported Paradorn Srichaphan donated US$2500 (from US$250). ;) plus US$5000, a bid from Venus's and Maria's rackets.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Today, Chennel 7 reported Paradorn Srichaphan donated US$2500 (from US$250).
Maybe he wants to match Tammy's donation?
plus US$5000, a bid from Venus's and Maria's rackets.
Can you please tell me: Who won the bid?

Vut
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Can you please tell me: Who won the bid?
Maria's racket = Thai Channel 7's boss [US$2500]
Venus's racket = Mr.Prasert Krulsarin [US$2500]

starr
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
:bigclap: for Maria donating money to this disaster.

I was reading earlier about Venus and Maria riding elephants and Venus talking about what a great place it was to vacation, and was wondering. :confused: Where is the aid to the afflicted? So it's good to know the players were contributing. It's good to know Maria has a generous heart and has given a substantial amount.

I think it's important for all of us to give some money to the relief effort because it is a dreadful dreadful thing for the people who remain alive.

The ATP players are also organizing some charity events in Chennai. Jonas Bjorkman has taken a great leadership role in that effort.

starr
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM

:worship:

I hope, also, that all the people who haven't bitched have given a donation as well. :)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:53 AM
Maria's racket = Thai Channel 7's boss [US$2500]
Venus's racket = Mr.Prasert Krulsarin [US$2500]
Thanks Vut.

I heard from TV last night that this influential lady from Channel 7 also plays tennis.

And the one who got Venus' racket is a businessman from Chiang Mai.

(•_•)
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Michael Schumacher donated $10,000,000! :eek:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Michael Schumacher donated $10,000,000!
The biggest donation among sports stars?

Vut
Jan 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM
:eek: Shumi

GoDominique
Jan 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM
And learn how to spell.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Jaime Bahena
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Good for Maria for setting a benchmark. Hopefully this will encourage other people with money to donate amounts that are at least a bit more than loose change for them. :hehehe:

Allez Masha!

Touche, Leopard. BTW, have any other players donated, or pledged a donation?

Sawasdee
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Tamarine Tamarine Yeah!!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Chennel 7 reported Paradorn Srichaphan donated US$2500 (from US$250).
So now Srichaphan has increased his donation from US$250 to US$2,500 to US$25,000.

(Maybe because Carlos Moya has donated his entire prize money of US$52,000 to the tsunami victims?)

stenen
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, due to play an exhibition match in Thailand against Venus Williams, will donate $10,000 to help victims of the killer tsunamis that hit the kingdom, a minister said on Wednesday.

Deputy Prime Minister and tennis association head Suwat Liptapanlop said the Russian starlet, scheduled to arrive in Bangkok late on Wednesday, had notified him about her generosity.

"She informed us that she wanted to donate 10,000 dollars of her own money to the government's victim relief fund," Suwat said.

The fund, launched yesterday, had already received donations amounting to 108 million baht ($2.77 mn), according to media reports.

Although a gala dinner to be held for Sharapova and Williams would be cancelled out of respect for the unprecedented loss of life, the match scheduled for January 2 in the northern city of Chiang Mai was due to go ahead.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1174914,00050004.htm

Only $10,000. So typical that she had to make pr thing about this :rolleyes:
Oh well I guess 10,000 is better than nothing.
Kudos for players who donated more but didn't make public pr thing of it! :cool:

goldenlox
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Actually, Maria got paid to go to Thailand.
It wasn't as if she saw tragedy on tv, and gave a donation.

She was hired to provide publicity, to increase tourism.
This was probably a planned media event.

ginger_fish668
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Why is this still in discussion? And why are you people still bashing her. I'm not gonna defend her, but really we can't expect everyone to be like Michael Schumacher! And just out of curiosity, what has Tiger Woods done? He's half Thai!

stenen
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Actually, Maria got paid to go to Thailand.
It wasn't as if she saw tragedy on tv, and gave a donation.

She was hired to provide publicity, to increase tourism.
This was probably a planned media event.

I'm not surprised :rolleyes: at Maria.

Teemu
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Why is this still in discussion? And why are you people still bashing her. I'm not gonna defend her, but really we can't expect everyone to be like Michael Schumacher! And just out of curiosity, what has Tiger Woods done? He's half Thai!

What's there to defend? She made a donation, which was made public, most likely in order to get more donations.
Kudos for everyone who donated, or are planning to do so, not matter the amount.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM
By far!
From what I read from the news reports, the only person that donated more than Shumi is the Indian lady, who is a very popular religious head. If I remember correctly, she donated US$23 million or maybe US$17 million (but only for the victims in India).

stenen
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Just like many other atheletes maybe Tiger Woods chooses not to make a public deal of his donation.