PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation

timray
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:09 PM
On this topic you can recommend a good book that you have read lately (or not), and why did you like it.

Yonge
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Hello timray. Check this out!

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=140729

Sally Struthers
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385143508/qid=1104258268/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2375456-6544762?v=glance&s=books

here's a user review which gave me 5 stars:

Most people probably buy this book because they want to look as great as Sally Struthers, but I bought it for the thick autobiographical section, as I'm a mammoth fan and am always interested in learning more about her background. Herein we learn that Struthers grew up in an old New England whaling village, the eldest daughter of a jumbo jet pilot. She first became a national celebrity 1970's, and since then she's just gotten bigger and bigger. Older fans will never forget her massively successful debut in the huge TV hit "All in the Family," a show that bravely took on the weighty social issues of the day, winning tons of fans in the process. In her role as daughter Gloria, Struthers was often reduced to blubbering at her father's enormous insensitivities. Bulging sacks of fan mail starting flooding in and Struthers was soon living large on her fat paychecks, often appearing in high-paying commercials for Middle American family products including Chunky Soup, Hefty Bags, and Michelin tires. Struthers' colossal profile landed her parts in a number of films, including a touchstone role as a powerful villain in The Empire Strikes Back. She has since become a truly enormous philanthropist, taking on meaty problems like Third World hunger. Her frenetic pace has sadly eaten into her training schedule, leading some to whisper that she has let her physique slip somewhat. These whispers became a roar in the late 80's when Struthers went jogging after a commercial shoot in the small California town of Loma Prieta, with famous repercussions. A subsequent NASA investigation into whether her gravitational field was in some way responsible for the Challenger disaster made matters worse. But Struthers overcame these hard times by heaving herself into her charity work. The countless awards that she has received for her philanthropy have no doubt softened the pain of earlier years, particularly the U.S. Postal Service's recent decision to award her with her own Zip code. As this sterling book makes clear, Struthers' voracious appetite for success is wholly unsated, and as the years go by it will increasingly hard to miss the vast footprint that she is leaving on her profession.

Kitty Alexander
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
The Autograph Man - By Zadie Smith

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/037570387X/qid=1104258359/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-2518125-3061522?v=glance&s=books&n=507846http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/037570387X/qid=1104258359/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-2518125-3061522?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Sally Struthers
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM
that book review wasn't very flattering... I'm going to have to report it to amazon for being insulting and inaccurate. Curious though. 112 out of 115 people found it helpful.

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
No one's written any good biographies of me that I can recommend. Here's a review from one of them.

21 of 22 people found the following review helpful:

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-1-0.gifUnbelievably Overpriced! Not worth it!, October 16, 2002
Reviewer: A reader
I was very excited to see a new book coming out on this great actress. When I saw the price I thought it was probably a large coffee table book with a lot of big color photos of Miss Lawson inside. I knew something was amiss when I saw the size of the box it came in and how light it was when I picked it up. Inside was a very small hardcover book with reviews of her films inside and a very small commentary on her personal life. Interspersed were small black & white photos from her films. Only 174 pages, followed by index and research notes. I paid [money]for this!! Where did they come up with this price? There is no price listed anywhere on the book. I feel very ripped off. Don't make the same mistake as me.

Was this review helpful to you? http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/yes.gifhttp://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/no.gif

I'm glad the personal stuff was brief. I wouldn't want anyone to know about that fling I had with Howard Hughes.

Sally Struthers
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM
You should let people know about your fling with Howard. With the new movie out, it could get you new legions of fans.

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM
You should let people know about your fling with Howard. With the new movie out, it could get you new legions of fans.
Those bastards didn't include me in the movie! They had a part with Katharine Hepburn. She's always upstaging me, first four Oscars and now this! :fiery:

Sally Struthers
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I saw the movie yesterday. Hepburn came off as a bigger nut and megalomaniac than Hughes.

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385143508/qid=1104258268/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2375456-6544762?v=glance&s=books

here's a user review which gave me 5 stars:

Most people probably buy this book because they want to look as great as Sally Struthers, but I bought it for the thick autobiographical section, as I'm a mammoth fan and am always interested in learning more about her background. Herein we learn that Struthers grew up in an old New England whaling village, the eldest daughter of a jumbo jet pilot. She first became a national celebrity 1970's, and since then she's just gotten bigger and bigger. Older fans will never forget her massively successful debut in the huge TV hit "All in the Family," a show that bravely took on the weighty social issues of the day, winning tons of fans in the process. In her role as daughter Gloria, Struthers was often reduced to blubbering at her father's enormous insensitivities. Bulging sacks of fan mail starting flooding in and Struthers was soon living large on her fat paychecks, often appearing in high-paying commercials for Middle American family products including Chunky Soup, Hefty Bags, and Michelin tires. Struthers' colossal profile landed her parts in a number of films, including a touchstone role as a powerful villain in The Empire Strikes Back. She has since become a truly enormous philanthropist, taking on meaty problems like Third World hunger. Her frenetic pace has sadly eaten into her training schedule, leading some to whisper that she has let her physique slip somewhat. These whispers became a roar in the late 80's when Struthers went jogging after a commercial shoot in the small California town of Loma Prieta, with famous repercussions. A subsequent NASA investigation into whether her gravitational field was in some way responsible for the Challenger disaster made matters worse. But Struthers overcame these hard times by heaving herself into her charity work. The countless awards that she has received for her philanthropy have no doubt softened the pain of earlier years, particularly the U.S. Postal Service's recent decision to award her with her own Zip code. As this sterling book makes clear, Struthers' voracious appetite for success is wholly unsated, and as the years go by it will increasingly hard to miss the vast footprint that she is leaving on her profession.
Sal, I just now read the review. It's brilliant. :worship:

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I saw the movie yesterday. Hepburn came off as a bigger nut and megalomaniac than Hughes.
Well, that part of the movie is actually pretty accurate.

Sally Struthers
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Sal, I just now read the review. It's brilliant. :worship:

It is kind of funny but still a fat joke :(

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
It is kind of funny but still a fat joke :(
I didn't see anything like that in there.

timray
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your recommendation, but I am looking for books more in the direction of thrillers that combines fiction and reality.
For example, Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
Or, The Agony and the Ecstasy-A novel of Michelangelo by Irving Stone.