PDA

View Full Version : Coverage Of Tsunami The Real Disaster

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM
December 28, 2004 -- IF you were watching TV news over the past few days, it would be hard to know which story carried more weight: The incomprehensible devastation caused by the tsunami which took (at press time) nearly 30,000 lives, or the equally tragic story of airport delays and lost baggage.

Both stories got equal airtime, although the "reporters" were clearly more comfortable standing around luggage carousels at JFK than talking remotely to survivors in the areas of devastation.

In fact, TV news in general treated the disaster like one of those weather stories where the rookie reporter gets battered at the seawall in Canarsie. And every reporter seemed like a rookie this past holiday weekend. Apparently the tsunami would have had to hit Aspen to get the pros off the slopes and onto the story.

When did the Walter Cronkites get replaced by Jessica Simpson clones? All grease and no machinery. And it didn't improve one bit by Monday morning.

Take CNN. Please. Yesterday morning, Rush Limbaugh's (yes), girlfriend, anchor Daryl Kagan, had a seismologist on to discuss the deadly tsunami. She actually asked him what, as a scientist, fascinated him most about the tsunami. Huh?

A "Is Chicken of the Sea chicken or tuna?" moment if ever there was one. We're talking thousands of dead, including children! Get a grip, or better yet, get a reality check.

Kagan then switched with the speed of light to sprightly "reporting" of airport delays with "No eggnog! No tree! No presents!" for some unlucky passengers. What had she done — hit her boyfriend's leftover stash of drugs?

Think about the difference in the solemnity with which 9/11 was reported and how this disaster was reported. Can you imagine switching from Ground Zero coverage in the first few days to say, back-to-school shopping sprees?

Do the news producers believe that it doesn't matter as much to us because the dead are "feriners" — that as humans we can't relate to them as real people somehow?

Here's my reality check: Right after Christmas last year, I was in Chennai, India — one city that was devastated by the wave this year.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3285.nypost/B1412670.3;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=[timestamp]?Click Here ("")

It is the city where much of the magnificent weaving is done by hand in India. It is a city where I was entertained in the homes of humans who may or may not still be alive. Humans with children and businesses and parents and cars and homes and religions and artistic pursuits and bills to pay. Like us. Thank God for the Internet — especially ironically enough, the TV news Web sites, which were all over the story. Luckily techies don't ski — they just surf.

:Rawwb:
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Although i would like to make a point that over here Sky News(UK) has had nothing but Tsunami coverage with correspondents and reporters everywhere, a ticker at the bottom with loved ones messages i think they really have a done a good job. They have updated us with everything and have been extremely efiicient. Im sorry your news broadcasters arent as efficient

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:48 PM
BTW: I'm curious to know the source of this opinion piece.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/37304.htm

Rocketta
Dec 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Well I dont' know because I rarely watch tv news....I will say I was watching Good Day Live (hell I think that's the name of the show) and they talked about the disaster and some of the places you can donate money to help ( www.redcross.org (http://www.redcross.org) ) and then they went on to tell about how people are still stranded because of Conair and how people don't have their bags because of all the call ins from US Air. After the airline story they made a point to mention how it's hard to have any feeling about the airline story after hearing reports coming out of Asia.

I say this to say not everyone is giving both stories equal weight and thank goodness for that.

Richie77
Dec 28th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Monday's Indianapolis Star featured a front page story about the tsunamis, but it was shoved over to the side of the page. Guess what was on the center, in big bold headlines? Peyton Manning's touchdown record.

Everyone knows I'm a big Colts fan, but that seemed so inappropriate. I agree with whoever wrote the column, people here really need to start understanding the scope of this tragedy.

Julian
Dec 29th, 2004, 12:38 AM
My heart goes out to these people..such a pity..:(

Ted of Teds Tennis
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Richie:

They have to celebrate Peyton's TD record now, because they know that when he goes out in the cold against a team with a real defense like New England or Pittsburgh, he's going to crumble like a house of cards. :p

Greenout
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM
The USA's coverage was dismal. Where I am we we CNN Asia, BBC World
Channel News Asia and Sky News. This is all they've been covering since
the earthquake struck on Sunday.

The news in Europe is as good as what we've been getting here.

It's in back in the USA; where due to only 3 American citizens being
dead- it didn't seem that important!

Rocketta
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:35 AM
The USA's coverage was dismal. Where I am we we CNN Asia, BBC World
Channel News Asia and Sky News. This is all they've been covering since
the earthquake struck on Sunday.

The news in Europe is as good as what we've been getting here.

It's in back in the USA; where due to only 3 American citizens being
dead- it didn't seem that important!
wait are you currently in the states? if not how can you say what is the primary coverage? :confused:

Frankly it has been the lead story on my local news every night. However, I guess the only news that counts is CNN.

It's also been the lead story on my American internet news info.

Greenout
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:42 AM
wait are you currently in the states? if not how can you say what is the primary coverage? :confused:

Frankly it has been the lead story on my local news every night. However, I guess the only news that counts is CNN.

It's also been the lead story on my American internet news info.

As soon as it hit I went also on the internet- the majority of
the newspapers didn't even carry it as breaking news!

The various networks like CBS didn't even have it as the main
story until a day later on their news website;
but the Iraq thing was still bigger.

The only American newspaper website to carry good stories
has been the New York Times! Everyone has finally caught up
now.

You have to remember that the earthquake hit- Sunday morning
here in Southeast Asia- about 7am my time- 8am Thailand.
The waves rolled in at about two hours later.

Everytime CNN Asia would go back to CNN Atlanta the stories
and facts were old. The numbers of casualties etc..were in
correct; thus obviously CNN in Atlanta were behind in the data.

Rocketta
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:46 AM
As soon as it hit I went also on the internet- the majority of
the newspapers didn't even carry it as breaking news!

The various networks like CBS didn't even have it as the main
story until a day later on their news website;
but the Iraq thing was still bigger.

The only American newspaper website to carry good stories
has been the New York Times! Everyone has finally caught up
now.

You have to remember that the earthquake hit- Sunday morning
here in Southeast Asia- about 7am my time- 8am Thailand.
The waves rolled in at about two hours later.
I'm not understanding your point? That they didn't put the story up fast enough or that they are not covering it?

Greenout
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:50 AM
I'm not understanding your point? That they didn't put the story up fast enough or that they are not covering it?

No your getting coverage; but the stories in the USA newspapers
on various websites were "numerous European tourists dead"!@

It was more than that, by Sunday night the Japanese websites
were talking about 600 tourist dead in Thailand many including
Japanese, + 19 missing Japanese tourists in Sri Lanka.

I'm just saying that unfortunately we American's only really
care if there's dead Americans! 3 isn't considered that important
upon first impression; but when the tourist number started to
go beyond 700 yesterday- it has become an international
tragedy, so it's considered major news now.

jrm
Dec 29th, 2004, 03:33 AM
I cannot watch - starting to cry