PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Out of Hopman Cup; Questionable for Melbourne

Andrew.
Dec 26th, 2004, 03:29 AM
US star out of Hopman, in doubt for Open
By MICHAEL PLACE
26dec04 LINDSAY Davenport's Australian Open campaign has been cast in doubt after the world No.1's shock withdrawal from the Hopman Cup.

Davenport will miss the round-robin event in Perth beginning on New Year's day after again injuring her troublesome right knee during an exhibition match in the US last week. Her manager Tony Godsick notified Hopman Cup director Paul McNamee of the news late on Thursday night, forcing organisers to scramble for an 11th hour replacement.

World No.40 Meghann Shaughnessy will now join compatriot James Blake, who last year partnered Davenport in the US team which won the $1 million event.

McNamee said Davenport's withdrawal was a blow to the tournament, but not a disaster.

"She's very, very disappointed and so is her partner James Blake," McNamee said.

"It's always a shame when a top player can't take their place in the field.

"But we've been able to bring in Shaughnessy who is ranked 40 in the world and made the quarter finals of the Australian Open this year."

Davenport's camp remains confident the hard-hitting Californian will be fit for next month's Australian Open.

But the American is in a race against the clock with only three weeks and one other tournament before the first ball is hit in anger at Melbourne Park.

Her only chance to gain match practice for the event will be at the Sydney International beginning on January 9.

Davenport suffered the injury during a 7-5 6-3 loss to Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapovoa in Baltimore last week.

McNamee said the 2000 Australian Open winner waited until the last possible moment before cancelling her trip to Perth.

"She was committed to coming back but with the round-robin format, it's a pretty demanding week," McNamee said.

Davenport has battled knee problems since undergoing arthrospopic surgery in 2002 and spending nine months on crutches. Earlier this year, Davenport said she was battling a degenerative cartilage problem.

It didn't effect her 2004 form as she finished as the top-ranked female player for the third time.

Her imposing 61-8 win-loss record included seven titles and a 22-match winning streak during the US summer.

The US remains the second-seeds for the Hopman Cup behind Russians Marat Safin and Anastasia Myskina.

Australia's Alica Molik and Mark Philippoussis are seeded sixth.

Lindsayfan
Dec 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
get well soon lindsay :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Do you think it's serious andrew? She could have realised her schedule was to big and wanted more time to get in great shape :shrug: But the withdrawal was really late, so.

foreva lindsay
Dec 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! aarggggggggggg this is jsut not fair at all why do injuries pick on her!!! leave her alone injuires :mad: :sobbing: :mad: :sobbing:

rue
Dec 27th, 2004, 12:22 AM
I think that she will be okay to play the Aussie Open. She may have thought that playing the Hopman Cup and in Sidney before the Australian Open may have been one too many. Lets hope she will be okay.

Andrew.
Dec 27th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Well this is all out of the Aussie media. I wouldn't trust the Aus. Media at all, as they have over-dramatized Lindsay's situations in the past. I'll wait for other sources info before passing judgement, but if I had to make a guess, I'd say she probably realized she had a stupid schedule, and wanted to rest her knee as much as possible.

gossipcom
Dec 27th, 2004, 03:25 AM
The Aussie media is as bad as the rest of the world - so I wouldn't knock them completely.

If she withdraws from Sydney - she's got 2 weeks to do so, then you know something's up big time.

I've got orientation for Sydney International on Jan 7 so we'll know by that stage whether or not she's here - because of the gossip that will be circulating, players will be hitting and also because the draw's announced on that day.

LindsayRulez
Dec 27th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Let's not freak out yet; if she doesn't play Syndey, then we can start to worry. Rest that knee, Lindsay!

RayRob
Dec 27th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Perhaps Hopman cup isn't big on Lindsay's priority agenda now that she is close to retirement - I think she's just training with Grand Slams in mind so the with drawal could be procautionary!

Like people have already said, let's not get too worried.....wait for Sydney, what happens there will give a greater indication of whats going on.

-Rache

Golinds
Dec 27th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Ahh poor Lindsay :sad: thes injuries never seem to leave her alone. get better for the aussie open pleeeeese.

Elldee
Dec 27th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Lindsay better not retire without playing a match in 2005... that would be gutting.

I think she'll be ready for Sydney and Melbourne, and maybe if she has another disappointment at the AO she'll be more inclined to stay around for her better two slams later in the year.

jacs
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah, it would be best to wait for Sydney.

Lindsayfan
Dec 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM
the best thing we can do is to pray for our lindsay's health and to wait a few more weeks. but i'm confident she'll be able to play. let's think positive, folks! :)

Elldee
Dec 29th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Assumably if her knee is recovered for Sydney, skipping the Hopman Cup and saving up her energy may well be beneficial for Lindsay. Fingers crossed.

Jan
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Well thats a blow! Lets hope she is just saving herself for Melbourne. I like you all was so looking forward to her and James playing the Hopman Cup. Not a good start to 2005 but we must remain POSITIVE.;)

RayRob
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:53 PM
I've been keeping an eye on BBC tennis news on the BBC website and there has been nothing of Lindsay's "injury". Infact I have yet to see it anywhere else other than from this source........I don't know, maybe it's me being sceptical but maybe Lindsay didn't withdraw on health grounds. I'm sure BBC website would be all over news like the world #1 possibly not fit to begin the season.......hhmmmm.

-Rache

Andrew.
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:46 AM
The Sydney International released a statement saying that Lindsay has contacted them, and will indeed be playing in the tournament.

Phew. :)

Jan
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I've been keeping an eye on BBC tennis news on the BBC website and there has been nothing of Lindsay's "injury". Infact I have yet to see it anywhere else other than from this source........I don't know, maybe it's me being sceptical but maybe Lindsay didn't withdraw on health grounds. I'm sure BBC website would be all over news like the world #1 possibly not fit to begin the season.......hhmmmm.

-Rache
I agree Rache, I have been doing the same and I have not seen anything about her injury and for sure they would have it all over the place, the World No 1 injured and maybe not playing Melbourne etc

Happy New Year to you :D

Jan
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:01 AM
The Sydney International released a statement saying that Lindsay has contacted them, and will indeed be playing in the tournament.

Phew. :)
Thank goodness for that! thanks Andrew
Happy New Year to you :D

jacs
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Great for Lindsay :)

gossipcom
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Has anyone seen the SI statement they've released?

I know that sounds like a stupid question but the latest AP report here in Australia through ABC News (a reliable source in Australia) has them still optimistic she'll be fine :)

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200412/s1274130.htm

Injured Davenport fights for Sydney fitness.

Sydney International organisers are confident women's world number one Lindsay Davenport will recover from a knee injury in time to play in the tennis tournament.
Davenport has been forced to pull out of the Hopman Cup, which starts this weekend, with a knee injury.

Meghann Shaughnessy has been rushed into the USA team to partner James Blake as the Americans chase a third consecutive Hopman Cup win.

The Sydney International starts on January 9.

I don't mean to put a damper on proceedings, but I'm just being as cautious as to what info we're receiving - and usually when it's got ABC News involved it's one not to take lightly (since ABC news is the equivalent of BBC for the rest of the world)

Andrew.
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Has anyone seen the SI statement they've released?

I know that sounds like a stupid question but the latest AP report here in Australia through ABC News (a reliable source in Australia) has them still optimistic she'll be fine :)

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200412/s1274130.htm

Injured Davenport fights for Sydney fitness.

Sydney International organisers are confident women's world number one Lindsay Davenport will recover from a knee injury in time to play in the tennis tournament.
Davenport has been forced to pull out of the Hopman Cup, which starts this weekend, with a knee injury.

Meghann Shaughnessy has been rushed into the USA team to partner James Blake as the Americans chase a third consecutive Hopman Cup win.

The Sydney International starts on January 9.

I don't mean to put a damper on proceedings, but I'm just being as cautious as to what info we're receiving - and usually when it's got ABC News involved it's one not to take lightly (since ABC news is the equivalent of BBC for the rest of the world) That article seems positive to me...

Golinds
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:54 PM
thank god, this sounds kinda positive... :bounce: Gooo linds :bounce:

lindsayno1
Jan 8th, 2005, 08:17 PM
with her problem one day it can be agony and u cant walk properly and the next its fine. (i have it so i know). it can depend on the weather or a slight irritation. its not gonna be anything major! shes got personal physios etc