PDA

View Full Version : Wildcards

TS
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
Tiffany Welford and Jaslyn Hewitt are the two WC recipient's.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com/pages/News.aspx?id=4&PageId=122&HandlerId=2&NewsId=716

SYDNEY, Dec 23 AAP - Two of Australia's most promising players Tiffany Welford and Jaslyn Hewitt have been awarded wildcards into the main draw of the Uncle Tobys Hardcourts at Royal Pines Resort on the Gold Coast next month.

Nineteen-year-old Welford is based on the Sunshine Coast and is Australia's fifth-highest ranked woman at world No.278. In November, she received a wildcard into the $US25,000 ($A32,770) Uncle Tobys International in Port Pirie and upset the second and third seeds to win her first ITF title.

The 2005 Uncle Tobys Hardcourts will be Welford's fourth appearance at the event, but her first in the main draw. "It's awesome. I can't wait to play in front of my family and friends at home, especially my dad who rarely gets to see me play," she said.
"This will definitely be the biggest match of my career, so I'm going to try to enjoy the experience as much as I can."

Hewitt, the 21-year-old sister of Lleyton Hewitt, is currently ranked 351st in the world.
She proved to be one of the most successful players on this years Australian challenger, satellite and futures circuit when she defeated Evie Dominikovic in three sets to take out Septembers $US25,000 ($A32,770) Uncle Tobys International in Canberra and reached the quarter-finals of the Port Pirie tournament.

Hewitt said she would look forward to her debut on the Gold Coast.
"This will be the first time I've played the tournament, so I want to go out there and do my best and hopefully I'll pull off a win," Hewitt said.
The inclusion of Welford and Hewitt will provide additional interest to an already impressive draw that boasts six of the world's top 20 women and four former winners of the tournament.

Tiffany :) :D

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
great Tiffany got one after some great performances in the ITF's :)

alwayshingis
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
That's a little odd...

Dominikovic? Ferguson? Dellacqua? Watson? Breadmore? Wheeler? Adamczak?

alwayshingis
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
That's a little odd...

Welford seems to have earned it, and I guess it's just because she's a Hewitt :rolleyes:

Andrew.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
I like Jaslyn, but it's stupid. She has absolutely zero chance of winning a main draw match. Qualifying she has a shot to win a match, but it's still not a big one.

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:54 PM
Welford seems to have earned it, and I guess it's just because she's a Hewitt :rolleyes:
No, she improved alot in last 12 months. It's not just because she's a Hewitt. Check up with her results in last 2 months and very impressive especially Canberra.

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
That's a little odd...

Dominikovic commited Auckland that week and she can have one of WC if she need. However, I think she still should play Auckland and get some bonus points.

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
You think Ferguson deserved get one even if she's injury? Don't think so! Rest of them you named is no problem with me.

AUSBOY
Dec 24th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Jaslyn actually outperformed Welford in the recent 6 x $25K Challengers series in Australia. Both girls won a challenger, and both had wins over Sunitha Rao.

Jaslyn's performance in the UK prior to the Aussie circuit were also impressive. The girls are pretty even if you ask me, and both will probably get main draw WC into the Australian Open

ozfan44
Dec 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Qualies Wildcards (confirmed!)

Monique Adamczak
Casey Dellacqua
Sophie Ferguson
Adriana Szili

Poor Breadmore Misses Out Again!

Andrew.
Dec 24th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Jaslyn actually outperformed Welford in the recent 6 x $25K Challengers series in Australia. Both girls won a challenger, and both had wins over Sunitha Rao.

Jaslyn's performance in the UK prior to the Aussie circuit were also impressive. The girls are pretty even if you ask me, and both will probably get main draw WC into the Australian Open Jaslyn had a nice run at a few tournaments through Canberra, but with the exception of her win over Rao, she pretty much died after that. While her MD WC could be justified, I think a qualifying WC would have done her more good.

Jorn
Dec 24th, 2004, 02:00 PM
There will be 32 players at Gold Coast or ? who will fill the last 3 spots Next in's or wildcards?

20. 54 Denisa Chladkova Czech Republic
21. 58 Tathiana Garbin Italy
22. 60 Virginie Razzano France
23. 65 Samantha Stosur Australia
24. 278 wc-Tiffany Welford Australia
25. 351 wc-Jaslyn Hewitt Australia
26. ??
27. ??
28. ??
29. Q
30. Q
31. Q
32. Q

TS
Dec 24th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Aren't there 30 players in a Tier III?

I'm guessing one more spot is a Silver Exempt, yes? Eggy? :o

Jorn
Dec 24th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Userly last years theres 30 players in Tier 3's, but both on WTA site and Aussie site they write 32 players next year 2005. This year 2004 there was only 2 WCs

tenn_ace
Dec 24th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Hewitt is the most promising player? :haha: :haha: :haha:

could someone remind me what she's achieved at the age of 21?

Andrew.
Dec 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Hewitt is the most promising player? :haha: :haha: :haha:

could someone remind me what she's achieved at the age of 21? She won a $25K.

broncosven
Dec 24th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Good Choices for WC's . . except i would say switch Lauren Breadmore for Adriana Szili

louloubelle
Dec 25th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Good Choices for WC's . . except i would say switch Lauren Breadmore for Adriana Szili

They'll share them around. You'll probably see Lauren get a maindraw next week.

tenn_ace
Dec 25th, 2004, 03:14 AM
She won a $25K.
...and that's such a great achievement for a 21 y.o. that she's called one of the promising Australian players? :eek: :rolleyes:

I mean, c'mon, Australia, a country with a great tennis traditions has no more promising player? Australian tennis is in real trouble...:p

Andrew.
Dec 25th, 2004, 03:44 AM
...and that's such a great achievement for a 21 y.o. that she's called one of the promising Australian players? :eek: :rolleyes:

I mean, c'mon, Australia, a country with a great tennis traditions has no more promising player? Australian tennis is in real trouble...:p did I ever say she was? :confused:

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 25th, 2004, 04:30 AM
hahaha. jaslyn hewitt.

ozfan44
Dec 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM
23 Players Direct Entry
2 Wildcards
4 Qualifiers
2 Byes
1 Gold Silver Exempt Wildcard

TS
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Jaslyn's performance in the UK prior to the Aussie circuit were also impressive. The girls are pretty even if you ask me, and both will probably get main draw WC into the Australian Open

Don't forget that Tiffany only played 5 of the 6 challengers, compared to Jaslyn who played all 6...Tiffany also got a couple of horrible draws in her first two. I'm sure if Tiffany played that one extra event, she might very well have eclipsed Jaslyn in the Uncle Toby's points standings ;)

matthias
Dec 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Hewitt - lol
this means there is a BYE in the draw
each player will hope to get her

New_balls_please
Dec 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM
23 Players Direct Entry

Have u got an updated entry list? My favourite player (Parra) may play here. :D

Last week, she was very confused and she didn't know if she would play here or in NZ.

thanks in advance :wavey: :kiss:

Jorn
Dec 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Parra has withdrawn from Auckland NZ (She's not on the latest Entry List), so likely she will play Gold Coast, ithink she's in the MD.

New_balls_please
Dec 26th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks Jorn :D

LLAGOS-VIVES_FAN
Dec 26th, 2004, 06:33 PM
parra is 2nd in qualyfing list

rusty_red_head
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Don't forget that Szili beat Adamzack (who beat Welford) in straight sets at the aussie open wc play offs

crazillo
Dec 28th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Weird WC choices IMO.

Why didn't they chose someone like Dominikovic?