PDA

View Full Version : 'Newk should have got Fed job'

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 20th, 2004, 04:56 AM
'Newk should have got Fed job'

December 15, 2004

THE high-powered trio of John Newcombe, Tony Roche and Mark Woodforde would have been ideal Fed Cup leaders, young star Evie Dominikovic said today.

With the captaincy and coaching structure of the women's team body in disarray, Dominikovic said the trio could have resurrected Australia's influence.

However, Newcombe has abandoned plans to succeed Evonne Goolagong as captain, claiming Tennis Australia could not identify with his proposals for a long-term overhaul of the women's game.

Former players Nicole Bradtke and Louise Field are favourites to take the job.

Australia has sunk to new lows in Fed Cup competition, losing to Thailand this year and being dumped from the World Group for the first time since the cup's inception in 1963.

"I thought Newcombe and Roche was a good team," Dominikovic said.

"They've won the Davis Cup together and it would have been nice to have males in our Fed Cup.

"I'm sure Nicole and Louise Field will do a good job, too, but it's kind of disappointing in a way.

"Hopefully next time they will take up their chance. It would be good to have someone different."

Dominikovic said that if Bradtke won the position, she would be able to easily identify with the team members.

"Nicole's obviously got the experience, she's been out there before," she said.

"It's a good change up for us and she's young also so it will be good for us to be around Nicole because she understands us a lot more."

Dominikovic is fighting back after a year which saw her ranking slide while she was bed-ridden with chronic fatigue syndrome for four months after the Australian Open.

"I struggled for the whole year," she said. "I slipped to 300 but now I'm back to about 128."

She said the illness appeared to have been caused by the stress of overtraining which caused her body to shut down.

But Dominikovic is optimistically looking forward to next month's Australian Open and the goal of regaining a Fed Cup spot.

"I'm playing quite well but it's taken me a whole year to be playing well again.

"I'm pretty excited I've got nothing to lose and I'm just looking forward to improving my ranking and to next year," she said.

Dominikovic added that the rise of Alicia Molik to world No.13 had given her the inspiration to overcome her illness.

"Alicia is playing quite well there's no reasons why us Australians can't do well as well and look up to Alicia," Dominikovic said.

"There's no reason why heaps of Australians even the junior's can't do well. It's just really believing in yourself," she said.

AAP

Mr_Molik
Dec 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
i agree with evie