PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Wildcards/player Schedule For Aussie Events As They Come To Hand

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Week 2

Sydney Main Draw

Alicia Molik
WC - Samantha Stosur
WC - Sophie Ferguson
WC - Gold/Silver - Svetlana Kuznetsova (trying to get her so they have 3 current slam holders in the field but they havent had any luck yet!)

Sydney Qualifying Draw

WC - Dubravka Cupac
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Canberra Main Draw

Nicole Pratt (iffy, will decide Friday)
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Canberra Qualifying Draw

Tiffany Welford - Port Pirie Winner Play-In
WC - Tyra Calderwood
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Hobart Main Draw

WC - Casey Dellacqua
WC - Daniela Dominikovic
WC - ???

Dellacqua/Sewell doubles

Hobart Qualifying Draw

WC - Lara Giltinan
WC - Kate Pinchbeck
WC - Adriana Szili
WC - ???

Sewell - Most Likely Alternate WC!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 3

Australian Open Main Draw

Alicia Molik
Nicole Pratt
Samantha Stosur
WC - Evie Dominikovic
WC - Cindy Watson
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - Stephanie Cohen-Aloro
WC - Sania Mirza

Australian Open Qualifying Draw

WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Mr_Molik
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:04 AM
evie is on the quallies list for canberra and the MDO list for hobart :confused:
if casey is playign doubs in gold coast i assume she will get a singles WC

AUSBOY
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Of the available Gold Coast wildcards you can be assured that Tiffany Welford will get one, probably a main draw. Casey might get a qualifying one but its up in the air atm.

YAHOO!!
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Olivia can still get one in the qualifying.

TS
Dec 17th, 2004, 03:26 AM
I think there will only be 7 qualifying WC's for Aussies at the AO....isn't Michaela Krajicek getting the 8th?

YAHOO!!
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:08 AM
You mean Shahar Peer who double bagelled Oliva and won Australian Open this year.

TS
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:13 AM
She already has a ranking high enough to make it.

YAHOO!!
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:14 PM
So I guess no more WC will be awarded. Where is Misa in all of this?

Mr_Molik
Dec 21st, 2004, 03:29 AM
cindy has requested a WC into hobart :D
the hobart WC's will be announced next week

ozfan44
Dec 21st, 2004, 06:20 AM
im glad cindy is playing hobart - well i hope she gets it
hopefully she does well there

rusty_red_head
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:01 AM
I feel its time for Breadmore to get a main draw WC in something!
I have a feeling there will be a few WC's handed out to young people

TS
Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
You'll probably find that most of the top 10 ranked Aussie's will get main draw WC's into the lead ups. It's usually the case....TA already know they are going to give main draw WC's at the AO to the youngsters, so they give the higher ranked girls one final shot to impress in the lead ups....expect Wheeler, Dellacqua, Breadmore, and Hewitt to get WC's. I don't think Cindy will get one, because she's already nabbed a spot at the AO.

I fully expect Tiffany Welford and Sophie Ferguson to be first in line for the 2 Gold Coast WC's. They will then probably make way for others (including the above 4) the following week.

AUSBOY
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
Well I beg to differ about Cindy's chances. Cindy has a Hobart MD WC in the bag! She proved to be the best Aussie outside our top 4 by winning the Wildcard Playoff, she's the in form Aussie player atm also finishing 2nd on the Uncle Tobys Tour behind Evie, and will definitely get a MD WC before the Aust Open. Hobart have always been supportive of her having given her a main draw WC previously! I would expect that Wheeler/Breadmore might be the other recipients.

louloubelle
Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:12 AM
I hope Lauren gets one - just for her to get a chance. Id expect her no pace retrieving game may give some players some trouble too and she could fluke a round.
Did Trudi Musgrave get any main draw w/c's last year b4 the Oz Open? I didn't think she did as they do tend to spread them around a fair bit to give most a chyance to impress. Cindi may get an additional one depending on the players available.

broncosven
Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Trudi only got the qualifying feed up from her win in Port Pirie last year

Would hope Jaslyn,Cindy,Monique,Tiffany,Casey,Sophie and Lauren will get the bulk of the WC's

TS
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Tiffany Welford and Jaslyn Hewitt got the Gold Coast WC's.

Sophie Ferguson must be injured because she would have been an almost certainty to get one I would'v thought!

Makes sense to give the 2 WC's to the two girls (besides Evie) that won $25K's this series...good luck to them both.

broncosven
Dec 24th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Yah !!!!

Congrats Jaslyn And Tiffany !!

AUSBOY
Dec 24th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Thanks TS

Always knew Tiffany would get one. Jaslyn was a surprise but Im pleased for her. Thought someone like Dellacqua or Watson would get one before her

Mattographer
Dec 24th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Simon, you forget Alicia Molik for Sydney! :p

ozfan44
Dec 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Gold Coast Qualifying Wildcards Have Been Awarded To:

Monique Adamczak
Casey Dellacqua
Sophie Ferguson
Adriana Szili

Top 3 I Have No Problems With However I Would Have Liked To Have Seen Lauren, Cupac Or Dani D Get It Before Adriana But Overall Im Pretty Happy With The Wildcards So Far

Marc Kimmich Got A Main Draw Wildcard For Adelaide Also Has Been Confirmed If Anyone Is Interested!

TS
Dec 24th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Very surprised that they've given Monique a run....a pleasant surprise indeed :)

Adriana obviously impressed with some great form at the play off's. Lauren Breadmore, however, did thrash her in that very same event and got to the finals, so she really does deserve that spot more.

broncosven
Dec 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Good Choices for the Qualifying except as TS says breadmore did deserve one more the szili . . .

Oh well

AUSBOY
Dec 25th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Updated

Dubz got a Qualies WC into Sydney!

AUSBOY
Dec 25th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Yeah if only the swapped Szili with Watson the WC's would have been perfect.

Maybe Watson or Breadmore is in line for the 3rd MD WC if the Gold/Silver Exempt isnt used

broncosven
Dec 25th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Thats great for Dubz . . be interesting for that last main draw spot in QLD if an exempt doesnt turn up

CCCP1
Dec 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Daniela Dominikovic got one for Hobart Main draw

broncosven
Dec 25th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Thats great for Dani D . . a good showing might get her a MD Oz open WC

SM
Dec 26th, 2004, 12:09 AM
wise choice to play hobart by daniella she could get a win

AUSBOY
Dec 26th, 2004, 02:36 AM
wise choice to play hobart by daniella she could get a win

LOL, Daniela had no say in it, she applied for WC's at all the lead up events, she simply took what she got given!

ozfan44
Dec 26th, 2004, 06:09 AM
How Did You Guys Find Out About Dubz And Dani D?

Any Other News??

Mr_Molik
Dec 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
dani d :D

ozfan44
Dec 27th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Yeah if only the swapped Szili with Watson the WC's would have been perfect.

Maybe Watson or Breadmore is in line for the 3rd MD WC if the Gold/Silver Exempt isnt used
as far as i understand the rules and from what i have been told in the past if the Gold or Silver Exempt wildcard is not used then that spot in the draw is taken by the first person on the next in main draw list so only a maximum of 2 wildcards per main draw event!

AUSBOY
Dec 27th, 2004, 03:27 AM
I think the rules may have been changed in 2003 in regards to this. Hewitt certainly got her 2002 Sydney WC as no Gold/Silver Exempt player took the WC that year.

I think both Sydney and Gold Coast are owed a 'local WC' from the Tanasugarn stuff up in 2003!

broncosven
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Cool

Hope thats the case . . be great for another aussie to get a WC into the events !!

ozfan44
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:58 AM
who know mate? i guess we will have to wait and see what happens!

Krajicek is confirmed for aus open qualies wildcard

also Evie Dominikovic is direct entry into Canberra Qualies and could also play Hobart Qualies courtesy of Nuriootpa, however i feel she will probably get a sydney md wc

AUSBOY
Dec 27th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Evie might play Hobart so she can play doubles with her sister

Mr_Molik
Dec 27th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evie might play Hobart so she can play doubles with her sisterthat would b awesome! :drool:

ozfan44
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:43 AM
they'd have a chance at winning a few matches maybe even the title!
would be good for evie to play there as she would get more points!

Mattographer
Dec 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I think it's good idea if Evie play Hobart with her sister! :)

Whatzup
Dec 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Krajicek is confirmed for aus open qualies wildcard
Really? Cool! :D Where did you hear that?

broncosven
Dec 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM
TAS WC would be good for all the above reasons . . . winning matches and playing doubles with sister

TS
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM
I think Sophie Ferguson will get the remaining Sydney WC. Either her, or a 'name' player from overseas.

It would be great if Dani gets Hobart :D

broncosven
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Dani already got a WC into Hobart

With Sydney only Sophie and Casey would be the two left over i would give a WC too and Casey in most likely gonna play ACT so Sophie would be a good choice

ozfan44
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Both Casey and Sophie have listed canberra as there 1st preference so i reckon that is where they will play

hope casey does not play sydney except for the $$ she will get she is not up to that standard at the moment and she simply is not fit enough

i hope that watson gets the other sydney md wildcard and evie gets one in hobart

wats happened with nat tanevska? she is or was last time i checked our number one junior, she didn't play any challengers, did she have exams? wonder if she will get a wildcard somewhere?

AUSBOY
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Sophie and Casey are meant to be playing Canberra!

Evie, Cindy (likely playin Hobart), Olivia L, Hewitt, Adamczak are still options for Sydney!

kirstin05
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:37 AM
hobart main draw wildcards have been given to daniella dominikovic and casey dellaqua. one of the qualifying WC's has been given to Lara Giltinan. any news on the other qualies wildcards?

ozfan44
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Hey Where Did You Hear This From?

What A Waste That Giltinan Wildcard Is!
Ta Really Seem To Love Her!
I Don't Know Why She Will Never Be Anything, I Think Its More About Her Surname!

AUSBOY
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Thanks kirstin05!

Keep us posted if you hear anymore news!

Cant believe Giltinan got one! If they can afford to give her one then Dittmann, Pinchbeck, Barr and everyone ranked higher than her better have one!

TS
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Yes Lara will continue to get a chance every year it seems...I really think she is a lovely girl (seems friendly and bubbly), but honestly she doesn't seem to have any great results to fall back on...ever. That WC would be better used by the likes of Lisa D'Amelio or Kate Pinchbeck, a couple of 23 year olds that probably will be unfairly overlooked.

Thanks for the news everyone....keep em coming :)

ozfan44
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:41 AM
yes at least pinchbeck made a 25K semi final

what the hell has lara done besides waste numerous wildcards!

broncosven
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Cool thats great for WC's in TAS well except Qualifying . . .

Sophie should get one into Sydney and Jaslyn or Monique should get the one in Sydney although both face uphill battles to do anything . . maybe Evie will backflip and ask for Sydney WC ??

Mattographer
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Still no WC for Cindy Watson at all? :rolleyes:

Mattographer
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Lara Giltinan? That was Rachel McQuillan's last match she won despite she was injury at Dalby last year. Therefore, Giltinan stinks! :p

ozfan44
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:41 AM
id like to see Cindy get a main draw wildcard for sydney besides evie she is the only other player capable of holding her own there!

rusty_red_head
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Oliva will/should get a qaulies WC in either Hobart or Canberra (she would flog Giltman). I don't think she's ready for Sydney!

AUSBOY
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:31 AM
WC's Still up for grabs

Main Draws

Syd
1 -

Canberra
1 -
2 -

Qualifying

Syd
1 -
2 -
3 -

Canberra
1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -

Hobart
1 -
2 -
3 -

Players with nothing so far but almost assured of something. Evie (has play-in to Hobart Qualies though), Cindy, Monique, Lauren, Sophie (requested Canberra), Jaslyn, Olivia L, & Szili.

If they all get WC's that still leaves 5 more spaces!

Possible recipients of Qualifying WC's are Hewson, Dittmann, D'Amelio, Picone, Kriz, Horiatopolous, Musgrave, Tanevska, Barr, T Calderwood, & Grahame.

TS
Dec 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Re the above post and qualy WC's for the lead ups.

I'm sure Amanda Grahame has all but retired. She won't get one. Picone, Hewson, Lukaszewicz and Horiatopoulos definitely will. Olivia may very well get an MD one.

Dittmann, D'Amelio and Pinchbeck possibilities for qualy WC's, but highly doubtful.

Tanevska might depending on whether or not she is injured (?). I imagine Engels might be in with a shot.

Barr - no way. Not a chance at all.

Tyra Calderwood, MacDowell, Brycki and their fellow pre-school alumni..very doubtful. Far too young, so that means they'll probably get AO ones instead :o :lol:

Kriz and Musgrave are both presumably on the sidelines still.

AUSBOY
Dec 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Dunno about Grahame, she played Canberra $25K Challenger 2 months ago, she seeems to be milking ACT for any wildcard she can get her hands on, Im sure she applied for one and convinced the board that she's making a comeback when she's not LOL.

Musgrave was meant to be resuming tournament play in January, I think she will just come back in doubles initially though for the Australian Circuit.

Kriz and Tanevska, no idea if they are still injured.

Of the preschoolers, Tyra is the only one that may get a wildcard. I think Engels is fading, she wasnt invited to the training camp this year and doesnt seem to have progressed much but having said that she'll probably get a qualifying WC somewhere.

If you move Picone, Horiatopolous and Hewson into the definite list their are still 2 or 3 WC's still available depending on Evie

hayden_tennis
Dec 28th, 2004, 09:42 AM
what bout wheeler??? or is she def stayin in the US

broncosven
Dec 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM
WC's Still up for grabs

Players with nothing so far but almost assured of something. Jaslyn,

Jaslyn has MD QLD mate

broncosven
Dec 28th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Wheller is staying in US yes

the smart thing would be for Cindy and Sophie to be assured of two WC's in the 2nd week of tounries and they will and mostly likely in Sophie's case be in the OZ open MD and that goes for the same with Evie

I agree that Monique, Lauren B, Olivia L, Christina H and Adriana S will all receives Qualifying atleast once over the 2 weeks and most likely again in the Oz Open

(Mind you is Kriz, Musgrave and Graheme and hey though RACHEAL MACUQILLIAN IN THERE !! are fit then they should also be considered in Qualies at atleast one event)

Mattographer
Dec 28th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Rachel McQuillan will be in Melbourne Park as a commentator for Fox Sports with Patrick Rafter, Joshua Eagle, Sandon Stolle, Peter Tramacchi and Liz Smylie.

tennis2003
Dec 28th, 2004, 11:52 PM
i think Golovin is the gold exempt player for the Gold Coast. So there are no more wild cards left there.

AUSBOY
Dec 28th, 2004, 11:58 PM
No Golovin had already entered the Gold Coast, hence why she pulled out of the Hopman Cup, she didnt realise she had double booked herself!

louloubelle
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Tyra Calderwood, MacDowell, Brycki and their fellow pre-school alumni..very doubtful. Far too young, so that means they'll probably get AO ones instead :o :lol:
Classic :)

ozfan44
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM
GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT NEWS

BRISBANE, Dec 30 AAP - NSW youngster Daniella Dominikovic has been awarded a last minute wildcard into the qualifying draw of the Uncle Tobys Women's Hardcourt Championships on the Gold Coast which starts tomorrow.

The younger sister of Australia's fourth highest ranked women's player Evie Dominikovic, 17-year-old Daniella is currently ranked 435th in the world.
On the Uncle Tobys Tour this year, the younger Dominikovic reached the semifinals of the Canberra challenger, the quarterfinals of challengers in Mackay and Port Pirie, and achieved success in doubles partnering her older sister.

The opening in qualifying came after world No.40 Meghann Shaughnessy pulled out of the main event, which starts on Sunday at the Royal Pines Resort, when she replaced an injured Lindsay Davenport in the Hopman Cup.
World No.82 Frenchwoman Stephanie Foretz moved from qualifying into the main draw for the Hardcourts leaving the final direct acceptance spot in qualifying open to the next highest ranked player - eighteen-year-old Sophie Ferguson.

Dominikovic replaced Ferguson on the qualifying wildcard list.
Australians in the 32-woman main draw are Nicole Pratt, Samantha Stosur and wildcards TJ Welford and Jaslyn Hewitt.

NOW ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS WAIT FOR THE DRAW!

hayden_tennis
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Dani D wild card into gold coast qualifying!!!!
when shaughnessy pulld out of gold caost to play hopman cup for usa (wen davenport pulld out) there was a space in main draw and hence qualifying. sophie ferguson was next in automatic qualifying draw so she didnt need a wildcard and hence the wildcard goes to dani!!!!! wahoo 5 girls in quallies

ozfan44
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM
umm hello! did i not already say that?? lol

also Nat Tanevska has entered in the Grade 1 Junior events so she must be over her injury (if she ever had one, maybe she was doing exams?)

broncosven
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Thats awesome !!!

SO that 4 in MD and 5 in qualies . . . would love more in MD though . . .

AUSBOY
Dec 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Hope Cindy is still entered as she would be the 1st Alternate if someone else doesnt rock up to qualifying!!!!!!!

ozfan44
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
that would be great if that happens!

ozfan44
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM
just looked at my old list and casey would probably be right behind cindy and lauren probably 1-2 after that

if only i could be the chef wherever the players are eating tonight!
fingers crossed for cindy!

ozfan44
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:50 PM
For fuck sake they have really done it this time!

casey got into gold coast direct so that freed up another wildcard this arvo!

you'd think one of the following would have got it:

cupac
breadmore
hewson

or if they were not there one of the girls playing doubles like

sewell
stewart
musgrave

but no the fuckheads give it to natasha kersten who can barely win a fucking match at 10k events in asia!

this really pisses me off and i apologise for the language but really you have got to be kidding when they come out with this crap!

AUSBOY
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Cupac is already playing in another tournament. Its a long way to fly up on short notice, locals are always gonna be favorable options

broncosven
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Thats great that another WC freed up though and since she is playing another aussie that means there will be atleast one in the 2nd round

AUSBOY
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:41 AM
Perfect 1st week in that all Aussies in the top 400 got a run in a WTA event, cant complain about that!

Was a shame Sophie blew 3 match points, Szili faded, and that Dani and Cindy lost close sets but still its good match practice leading up for the next two weeks

broncosven
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:52 AM
Thats exactly correct !!

and so far with Evie still to play we have won as many matches in qualifying in QLD and lauren B winning first round in NZ as we did last year

THATS GREAT !!

ozfan44
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:36 AM
Where is Dubz playing?

have we heard anything else on wildcards for next week?

AUSBOY
Jan 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM
Last I heard she was through to the final of an open tournament in Sydney

SM
Jan 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
good to see dubz is getting some valuable wins and practice before the wta events

TS
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I read an interesting little blurb in the Herald Scum today about Kim Clijsters not getting one of the four remaining WC's as she's not quite ready....to paraphrase, the following sentence read something like 'this is good news for young Aussie Tiffany Welford, who is next in line'....:confused: Maybe the reporter just feels that since she is the next highest ranked player (out of the Aussies), she'll automatically get one?

It's getting a bit tight now...I think the real contenders that are left for the four spots are: Tiffany Welford, Casey Dellacqua, Sophie Ferguson, Jaslyn Hewitt, Daniella Dominikovic and Olivia Lukaszewicz. Lauren Breadmore and Dubravka Cupac could be thrown into the mix as well, but it's highly doubtful they'll be in the selector's mindset.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
hopefully Sophie and Tiffany both get one :)
Casey should

Updated Commitment List http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=461

grmbl
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:04 PM
No WC for Michaella Krajicek.. She will play Canberra and after that she will return to Europe for some challengers.

TS
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Really? That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing her play....

Mattographer
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:14 AM
No WC for Michaella Krajicek.. She will play Canberra and after that she will return to Europe for some challengers.
Why?! :( Missed a good opportunity for her!

nitocris_tiger
Jan 5th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Australian Open Main Draw

Alicia Molik
Nicole Pratt
Samantha Stosur
WC - Evie Dominikovic
WC - Cindy Watson
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - Capuccine Rousseau ???
WC - Sania Mirza

*Clijsters may take a WC! Is there a French Open WC Exchange again?

Why does Sania Mirza get one? What is the criteria for the Asian wildcard?
and where is Evie playing next week?

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I think Ferguson and Hewitt are almost definites for MD WC.

Cupac is no chance for a MD.

Strange about Krajicek! Thought she had a Qualifying WC confirmed, maybe she declined it for some reason, I thought she would still play juniors though.

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Personally I think Tiffany would be better in Qualifying, I think a MD would be a waste!

Oh the 4 left I would give them to Ferguson, Dellacqua, Hewitt and Breadmore. Only others I would consider would be Wheeler, Adamczak but her forms been dodgy, and Daniela.

polishprodigy
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Evie :woohoo:
Sania :D

broncosven
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:32 AM
4 MD left - - - > Hewitt, Welford, Dellacqua and Ferguson

pretty much agree with what has been thrown up before !!

TS
Jan 5th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Personally I think Tiffany would be better in Qualifying, I think a MD would be a waste!

Oh the 4 left I would give them to Ferguson, Dellacqua, Hewitt and Breadmore. Only others I would consider would be Wheeler, Adamczak but her forms been dodgy, and Daniela.
lol. Hewitt and Breadmore over the much higher ranked and deserving Welford. Makes sense.

Mr_Molik
Jan 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM
i think tiffany, casey and sophie should definitely get them. i am undecided about the last one, possible jaslyn/lauren/dani d.

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Both Breadmores and Hewitts form has been superior to Welfords in the last two months! The only thing going for Tiffany is her $25K title cos the rest of her year was very average. Apart from the week she won a $25K Challenger, TIffany hasnt beaten a top 300 player all year and says a lot to me!!

Iveta Benesova pretty much flogged Tiffany and then said in an interview after that she wasnt happy with how she played.

The fact that Tiffany is smiling and sometimes laughing after she loses a match is a big concern and she's done this the last two matches she's lost as if she doesnt care.

The fact that she lost by the same scoreline 2 years ago in Hobart to Schett says a lot in that she hasnt improved that much, if she had she would have pushed Iveta a lot more, its not like Iveta is that great a player, she just rallies and doesnt have any weapons!

All that aside Welford hasnt even bothered to enter the Aust Open. If you look at the commitment list her name isnt on it! So whether she has been promised a WC who knows, but Cindy already has her WC yet she is still on the list! Welford would have been about 20-25 places out from qualifying atm.

That aside I think Welford is talented but she definitely lacks mental toughness and fight. Whoever gets the wildcards though will struggle to win a match anyway. As far as Im concerned Australia's 5 top players are already in the main draw and the likelihood of any other Aussie winning a main draw match is about 25%

TS
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Oh what a load of bollocks :rolleyes: :lol:

Superior form in the last two months?!?!? Where exactly? The WC play off? Big deal.

If we have a look at the challenger series (and let's be honest, that's a big factor) there is NO WAY you can say Breadmore was in better form. . Lauren didn't get past a QF. Jaslyn, fair enough, won a title...but reached one other QF, just like Tiffany, so they are pretty much even. You're probably just referring to this weeks results and the WC play offs yeah? Well, so Lauren gets a win over a crippled opponent in the qualifying rounds in Auckland...that's hardly something to sing about.

I don't quite understand how you think Lauren deserves one over Tiffany :confused:

Tiffany has more going for her in terms of age (19), merit (she's won a title) and ranking. Let's not forget that she's, oooh, about 60 odd spots higher than the both of them. She had a lot of injuries in 2003 and foght back well last year with smart scheduling to get her ranking up about 600 spots. As far as I'm concerned it would be ridiculous if Tiffany was overlooked for either of them. She'll get flogged (they all will anyway), but the experience will be great for her, and quite frankly she has earned it :)

hayden_tennis
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:31 AM
i think that welford and hewitt should get a wildcard cause she hasnt been given one before and TA alwyas seems to give 1 or 2 to players who havent playded maindraw before (ferguson and lucazewickz in 04). so there are 2 left and i reckon ferguson should get one if she isnt injured. so this leaves one more spot. contenders - delaqua, breadmore, cupac, adamzack and daniela. truthfully delaqua and breadmore are the most likely to win a match or 2 and the othas will get there chance later in their careers and adamzack already has had one. so thats my little spin on the situation. but i think we all jus hope that they dont throw someone who isnt ready in there.
oh and sorry bout my spelling too lol

TS
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I don't think Adamczak has had one before...there's no way she'll be in contention this year, althought last year she definitely should have received one :(

ozfan44
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Tyra Calderwood wildcard into Canberra Qualies :rolleyes:

TS
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:01 AM
:haha: Oh well...better Canberra than the Australian Open.

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Welford even played 2 x $10K's in India this year and was seeded and couldnt even get past the 2nd round :rolleyes:

The difference in rank is mainly due to the fact that Tiffany played 33% more tournaments than Jaslyn! Jaslyn was like Evie and only played 4 tournaments in the first 6 months of the year.

Monique has only ever had qualifying WC's! At least Monique and Lauren have taken out seeded players in Aust Open Qualifying, hence why they are deserving of MD berth. Whilst their form mightn't be the hottest they have proven they can be competitive with the top 120!

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I would actually prefer it if Tiffany, Jaslyn and Lauren got MD WC's and Casey, Sophie and Olivia got Qualifying! WC's should be shared around, especially when there are no clear cut standouts!

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I dont object to Tyra's wildcard at Canberra! She was competitive against Watson and has junior results to back up her inclusion!

kirstin05
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:23 AM
kate pinchbeck has a wildcard into hobart qualies

ozfan44
Jan 5th, 2005, 08:12 AM
thanks kirstin

thats great for Kate

i just e-mailed Craig Gabriel, wanker at medibank international

idiot wont tell me who has been given wildcards for sydney
told me "check website as no announcements have been made yet"

drrrrrrrr i know they have not been anounced or i wouldnt be asking for them

i mean for f**k sake the draw will be out this time to tomorrow :fiery:

tosser :rolleyes:

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks Kirstin!

Good to see Kate being given a shot!

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Sophie Ferguson has Main Draw for Sydney!!!!!!!!!

and they are trying to track down Kuznetsova to offer her the Gold/Silver Exempt but apparently she's not answering her phone!!!

SM
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM
hewitt..lol..i think enough hand oiuts for her\

how many matches has she won from the 'handouts' in sydney, aus open and now gold coast? she couldnt even win oine game after 2-0 up in 3rd at queensland which is typica jaslyn surprised she evemn got to that stage

ditto terry

kirstin05
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM
just found out adriana szili has another qualies wildcard at hobart

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Cool, thanks again Kirstin,

Not too many WC's left to work out accept Canberra and Syd qualies!

kirstin05
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:44 AM
i think there is one left in hobart, not sure who that is yet, but will probably find out tomorrow. i only found out about szili as i picked her up from the airport, so i'll see who comes in tomorrow. does anyone know what happens with that gold/silver exempt thingy for hobart and who that might go to?

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Sydney Main Draw

Alicia Molik
WC - Samantha Stosur
WC - Sophie Ferguson
WC - Gold/Silver - Svetlana Kuznetsova (trying to get her so they have 3 current slam holders in the field but they havent had any luck yet!)

Sydney Qualifying Draw

WC - Dubravka Cupac
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Canberra Main Draw

Nicole Pratt (iffy, will decide Friday)
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Canberra Qualifying Draw

Tiffany Welford - Port Pirie Winner Play-In
WC - Tyra Calderwood
WC - ???
WC - ???
WC - ???

Hobart Main Draw

WC - Casey Dellacqua
WC - Daniela Dominikovic
WC - ???

Dellacqua/Sewell doubles

Hobart Qualifying Draw

WC - Lara Giltinan
WC - Kate Pinchbeck
WC - Adriana Szili
WC - ???

Sewell - Most Likely Alternate WC!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Players with nothing so far but almost assured of something. Evie (has play-in to Hobart Qualies though), Cindy, Monique, Lauren, Jaslyn, & Olivia L.

If they all get WC's that still leaves 3 more spaces!

Possible recipients of the remaining 3 WC's which would be qualifying are Hewson, Dittmann, D'Amelio, Picone, Horiatopolous, Musgrave, Tanevska, & Engels.

ozfan44
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Wildcards Confirmed

Sydney

Main Draw
Sam Stosur
Sophie Ferguson

Qualies
Dubravka Cupac
Jaslyn hewitt
Christina Horiatopoulos
Cindy Watson

Canberra

Main Draw
Monique Adamczak
Lauren Breadmore

Qualies
Christina Wheeler :rolleyes:
Megan Price :fiery: :haha:
Tyra Calderwood :haha:
Shayna McDowell

Tiffany Welford will use her feed in from her $25K win to get into qualies!

Hobart

Main Draw
Daniela Dominikovic
Casey Dellacqua

Qualies
Adriana Szili
Lara Giltinan :rolleyes:
Lara Picone
Emily Hewson
Kate Pinchbeck ?? - Not on this list i was given!

Players Missing Out:

Musgrave - has an injury rank of 266 (i think) so maybe can get into quals direct at hobart or canberra
Evie - Will get in direct in qualies at any of the three events
Tanevska - ?
D'Amelio - ?
Lukaszewicz - is playing in the junior lead up events (where 3 of the 4 q canberra wc should be too :fiery:
Dittmann - maybe she swears too much :haha:
Kriz - though she might have got a chance at Canberra but obviously not! :fiery:
Grahame - Given up completely?

SM
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
i dont think the wc to tyra is that bad of a choice as u suggest..just giving her a taste of the big league and she has had some good junior results

ozfan44
Jan 5th, 2005, 02:32 PM
yer i thought about it and im not as pissed as i first was

megan price on the other hand is a complete joke and there is no way at all that anyone can justify this decision. If they were gonna give juniors a go what about tanevska, Engels, Brycki, Bobusic, Tapper, Swift, Patterson or Moore

then we have the likes of dittmann, d'amelio, barr, musgrave, dzeidzic, kriz, acquistapace, cheung, etc etc

really i can't wait to see qualies at aussie open after this!

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM
On the whole the WC's have been ok. Dittmann though should have been given one to Canberra instead of Price or McDowell who should be playing the junior events!!

Its called the senior tour for a reason, the young ones need to learn how to win in ITF juniors first where the pressure is just as big!

AUSBOY
Jan 5th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Wheeler as of the 4th January is still committed to playing $10K Boca Raton!!

Seems really odd that she is still entered in this and the $10K the week after and then another $10K and $50K in the US the week after that!

TS
Jan 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Who the hell is Megan Price??

Woohoo! Monique and Lauren get main draw wildcards! :) Great stuff....

CHTOUR
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:10 AM
exactly! and what has she done?

broncosven
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:39 AM
THink that WC choices for MAIN DRAW were EXCELLENT !!

and Sydney Qualies are great too

but ACT and Hobart . . its like they just drew them out of a hat ???

nitocris_tiger
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:05 AM
How funny - Dani gets a MD WC to Hobart but Evie has to qualify! :lol: Probably won't be the last time that happens.

AUSBOY
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Im glad they made Evie and Tiffany use their feed ins! Was the same with Musgrave last year. I think its a good move and means another Aussie gets a run!

ozfan44
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM
i have just recieved an updated entry lists for hobart as of yesterday and it does not say anything about evie taking her feed in for qualies,

so i think maybe she is going to play qualies at sydney or canberra, most likely sydney! am waiting to hear back from tennis australia now and i also asked if trudi was playing this week, i hope she is

:wavey:

AUSBOY
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Its logical that she would wanna play doubles with her sister

ozfan44
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:02 AM
yes i hope she does play hobart but i was just saying it doesnt look like she will!

ozfan44
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:14 AM
just rang tennis oz

evie is playing qualies @ canberra
trudi is playing doubles @ canberra - didnt know who with though!

AUSBOY
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Thanks ozfan44.

Wonder if Pinchbeck now gets that play in for Hobart? If the winner and finalist refuse it does a semi-finalist get it?

ozfan44
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:34 AM
not usually if the runner up doesnt take it usually they just bump up a player from off the qualies next in list

i don't really care how she gets in as long as she does!

If someone can ring this and ask for the qualies draw that would be great, i would do it myself but i am at home now and i can only ring local calls from my phone :fiery:
Telephone - (03) 6234-4805

kirstin05
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:10 AM
giltinan didn't end up with a wildcard in to hobart, so the wildcards in qualies are pinchbeck hewson, szili and picone. pinchbeck plays maureen drake first round, hewson v martina muller, szili v natalie grandin, picone v (5) jenny hopkins. seeds in qualies are bondarenko - 1, callens 2, sequera 3, haynes 4, hopkins 5, black 6, castellvi 7, skavronskaya 8.

broncosven
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM
cool . . . hewson and szili are outside chances there

AUSBOY
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Most of the Aussies have decent 1st rounds, especially in Sydney and Hobart!

Sydney Qualifying Draw

(1)PENNETTA Flavia ITA vs. MC CAIN Kelly USA
SFAR Selima TUN vs. HEWITT Jaslyn AUS
CUPAC Dubravka AUS vs. CERVANOVA Ludmila SVK
CHAKVETADZE Anna RUS vs. (5)RAZZANO Virginie FRA

(2)VENTO-KABCHI Maria VEN vs. WATSON Cindy AUS
SCHRUFF Julia GER vs. TALAJA Silvija CRO
OSTERLOH Lilia USA vs. VINCI Roberta ITA
BACHMANN Angelika GER vs. (6)RUANO PASCUAL Virginia ESP

(3)WASHINGTON Mashona USA vs. BRATCHIKOVA Nina RUS
GAGLIARDI Emmanuelle SUI vs. YAKIMOVA Anastasiya BLR
MAMIC Sanda CRO vs. ROUSSEAU Capucine FRA
LINETSKAYA Evgenia RUS vs. (7)IRVIN Marissa USA

(4)CHLADKOVA Denisa CZE vs. BELTRAME Severine FRA
KIRILENKO Maria RUS vs. HORIATOPOULOS Christina AUS
COHEN-ALORO Stephanie FRA vs. OBZILER Tzipora ISR
PIN Camille FRA vs. (8)PENG Shuai CHN

Canberra Qualifying Draw

1 SERRA ZANETTI Antonella ITA vs. WC MCDOWELL Shayna AUS
WC PRICE Megan AUS vs. MARTINEZ GRANADOS Conchita ESP
BEYGELZIMER Yulia UKR vs. NEMECKOVA Lenka CZE
VIRATPRASERT Suchanan THA vs. 7 VOSKOBOEVA Gallina RUS

2 IVANOVIC Ana SCG vs. WC CALDERWOOD Tyra AUS
VIERIN Nathalie ITA vs. BOHMOVA Katerina CZE
BIRNEROVA Eva CZE vs. GALLOVITS Edina ROM
WC WHEELER Christina AUS vs. 5 CZINK Melinda HUN

3 OBATA Saori JPN vs. ANI Maret EST
DOMINGUEZ LINO Lourdes ESP vs. KLOESEL Sandra GER
BYCHKOVA Ekaterina RUS vs. KLEINOVA Sandra CZE
ALVES Maria FernandeBRA vs. 6 NAKAMURA Aiko JPN

4 DOMINIKOVIC Evie AUS vs. BALTACHA Elena GBR
F/Up WELFORD Tiffany AUS vs. MEUSBURGER Yvonne AUT
TAMAELA Elise NED vs. SESCIOREANU Delia ROM
LAINE Emma FIN vs. 8 POUS TIO Laura ESP

Hobart Qualifying Draw

Bondarenko (1) vs Fugiwara
Drake vs Pinchbeck (WC)
Gubacsi vs Liu
Arvidson vs Skavronskaia (8)

Callens (2) vs Nooni
Hewson (WC) vs Muller
Safarova vs Rodionova
Prusova vs Castellvi (7)

Sequera (3) vs Henke
Szili (WC) vs Grandin
Uberoi vs Rao
Picone (WC) vs Hopkins (5)

Haynes (4) vs Poutchek
Lazarchuk vs Tu
Paula Garcia vs Mirza
Chuang vs Black (8)

AUSBOY
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I think Cupac, Watson, Hewitt, Wheeler, Evie, Tiffany, Pinchbeck, Hewson, Szili and Picone all have chances of winning or getting sets at least!

Horiatopolous, Price, McDowell, Calderwood might as well not bother turning up

ozfan44
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM
well dubz got smashed 2 & 2 so that's not gonna help her get an ao qualies wildcard!

AUSBOY
Jan 7th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Yeah, was a disappointing effort. I agree, her Qualies WC isnt assured after that!

ozfan44
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:06 AM
mind u casey didnt too to good agaisnt the same player last year

i hope dubz still gets one anyway she is gonna need to get some extra points somewhere to make up for this week

AUSBOY
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM
6-4 6-4 is a lot better than 2 and 2!!!

Terrible start for the Aussies! Szili is the only one that has put up a fight and she's just choked from 5-1 30-0!! to lose the first set 7-5!

Cervanova def Cupac 6-2 6-2
Kirilenko def Horiatopolous 6-1 6-2
Hopkins def Picone 6-1 6-1
Grandon leads Szili 7-5

broncosven
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Cuapc didnt play that badly as neither did Christina H

they just stuffed up break points and the main poitns that count !!

Postcard
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Megan Price looks to be a real talent.

http://202.134.32.46/AusProfiles/details.aspx?playerID=19

kirstin05
Jan 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
szili had to retire from her match against grandin due to a leg injury, she THINKS she may have torn something but hadn't seen a doctor when i talked to her. the score was grandin defeated szili 7-5 1-0 (ret.)

rusty_red_head
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:49 AM
oh no Szili!!!

rusty_red_head
Jan 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Oliva got nothing!!!!

ozfan44
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:28 AM
shes playing the junior events!

ozfan44
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:31 AM
i really hope shayna mcdowell gets an ao qualies wildcard after that great effort the other day vs a top 100 level player that was very suprising and pleasing to see

AUSBOY
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Jasyln has to be the hot favourite for 1 of the 4 AO MD WC's followed by Ferguson subject to her result against Maleeva.

The other two will go to either Daniela, Lauren, Olivia, Monique, Tiffany or Casey subject to performances this week!

The 4 that miss out will get Qualifying WC's, McDowell will probably get one to along with Cupac, Calderwood, and Wheeler!

Well thats my prediction!!!!!

broncosven
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Tiffany hasnt helped her chances with her past 2 qualifying matches

I agree that Jaslyn is almost a certainty and guess we will have to see some other results to make the next 3 (Ferguson and Casey should be the other assured but who knows ??)

ozfan44
Jan 9th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I'd be really disapointed if they don't give Jaslyn a main draw wildcard and even more so if they do give one to wheeler or welford

broncosven
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Well Lauren B, Monique and Casey have all won a qualifying match and thats helped them out . . Dani D has her chance with a this week aswell

If any of these 4 win i'd say it would guarentee a WC into Oz open

TS
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Daniela lost to Marrero 2-6 3-6 today...I think she's still in with a chance though.

We've had some shocks from TA with wildcard choices the last couple of years, I expect more this time around...so, basically expect the unexpected is all I'm going to say ;)

One thing you guys have to remember is that a junior is almost always given a WC into the main draw. Which is why I'm of the strong assumption that someone like Daniela, Olivia or hell even Shayna McDowell (that would be ridiculous) will get one.

I think Sophie and Jsalyn will each receive a WC.

broncosven
Jan 9th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Shame about Dani but the scoreline isnt too bad

AUSBOY
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I think the WC's are pretty clear cut this year now, the only confusion is who gets the last 2 main draw WC's!

Main Draw - What I think!!!!

1 - Hewitt
2 - Ferguson
3 - Olivia
4 - Daniela or Lauren

Daniela, Lauren, Olivia, Monique, Tiffany and Casey could still grab a MD WC, subject to performances this week!

Qualifying WC's most likely to

1 - Daniela or Lauren
2 - Monique
3 - Tiffany
4 - Casey
5 - McDowell
6 - Cupac
7 - Calderwood
8 - If there is an 8th which i think there will be it will probably go to Wheeler.

Cupac is a little vulnerable though, someone like Szili might take her place!!

SM
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM
still cupac did win a 10k last yr so im sure shed be favored over szili..or calderwood

TS
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:11 AM
I pretty much agree with you there Simon...except I'm sure Tiffany or Casey would be considered over Lauren. Other than that, you're pretty spot on.

If it came down to Szili or Cupac, TA will pick Szili. Despite being lower ranked, she beat Dubz at the WC playoff and she is also a fave of TA...

ozfan44
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM
id rather see shayna get a md wildcard than poxy olivia or tiffany or wheeler

shayna has played one wta match and got a lot closer than olivia or tiffany ever have!

TS
Jan 9th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Any junior worth their grain of salt could walk onto the court and feel they have a chance against Antonella Serra-Zanetti...nothing against her, but she is one of the weakest players to ever make the top 100. Easily overpowered.

I wouldn't begrudge Shayna a qualifying WC, but a MD one is just silly.

ozfan44
Jan 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM
well im sorry but when olivia can get one i see no reason why shayna couldn't

don't get me wrong i wouldn't give her one and i wouldnt give one to olivia, tiffany or wheeler either

i think it will work out something like this

1-evie
2-cindy
3-sophie
4-jaslyn
5-casey
6-lauren or monique or dani d

nitocris_tiger
Jan 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
So when is the decision made? It'd have to be today surely...it starts on Thurs!

ozfan44
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:19 AM
caseys family told me she should know by tuesday night!

AUSBOY
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Monique has lost her chance at a main draw WC, only getting 5 games from Tanasugarn!

TS
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Monique :sad:

She was only a very slight chance of getting a look in anyway...sadly, I don't think Monique will even get a qualy WC this year :(

ozfan44
Jan 10th, 2005, 03:53 AM
sophie is a definate now if she wasnt already which i think she was!

time for breadmore to step up and put her case forward!

rusty_red_head
Jan 10th, 2005, 05:40 AM
yeah Sophie took a top 30 player to 3 sets!!

I really would like to see Breadmore get one!

louloubelle
Jan 10th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Oh well just one more day and our yearly discussions about this topic will be fuelled again by TA's often unusual choices!!

I am pleased that they have shared the w/c's around in the lead-ups - they have definitely given everyone a chance to prove their wares. Pity none of them have really taken the challenge.

I agree Rusty I would love Lauren to get one, particularly infront of Welford. A good showing against Krajicek will be helpful.

broncosven
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Sophie really did play awesome !!!

i reckon monique would at least get a Qualy

rusty_red_head
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Well Casey will is almos certain for one now after winng her 1st main WTA draw match!
My guess are

1. sophie
2. jaslyn or Oliva
3. casey
4. lauren dani d

AUSBOY
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Lauren is outta the running now :sad:

1-Ferguson
2-Hewitt
3-Dellacqua
4-Dani or Olivia!

SM
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM
ferguson, hewitt, dellaqua and daniella dominikovic = wise choice imho

i think sophie and dellaqua have the best chance to win main draw matches provided the draw isnt too bad on them

Mr_Molik
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM
definitely dellacqua. she played like a top 100 player tonight and basically overpowerd jidkova.

ozfan44
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM
would have to agree lauren blew the small chance she had at one with that effort vs michaela!

Casey and Sophie are now definates after their efforts today
Jaslyn and Dani are my picks for the other 2 spots also but it wouldnt suprise me if love child olivia manages to pull one out of someones arse!

no one else ended up deserving one, really after all their performances so for me its pretty clear cut!

TS
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I guess we'll find out tomorrow or the day after :)

Wonder if Lauren and Monique are out of qualies too?! :o Stranger things have happened...

louloubelle
Jan 10th, 2005, 09:46 PM
A pity for Lauren that she probably won't get a main draw. However she's had two opportunities (playoff final and main draw in Tassie) to make an impression and hasn't taken them,

Maindraw: Evie, Cindy, Sophie, Casey, Jaslyn and the final one depends on how they regard Tiffany or Dani. History says that a junior will get one therefore Dani. Can't see Liv getting a main draw one.

Quallies: Tiffany, Lauren, Liv, Dubz, Tyra, Shayna, Christina....

I reckon Monique may squeeze for last one!? If not another toddler.

Mattographer
Jan 10th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I'm impressive with Beti last Sunday with Cindy. I think Beti can have one of those available wildcards for qualifying but it's most unlikely, though.

nitocris_tiger
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I think Tiffany should get a MD WC as she is the highest ranked out of everyone (except Evie). Uncle Tobys WC aside, if TA has 5 wildcards to handout the highest ranked player should be included in those 5. Forget what has happened in the last week or who's in form or who's more deserving, the highest ranked player should be included...period. Tiffany is ranked the highest for a reason and, as such, should be rewarded and deserves the opportunity to play in her national open tournament.

The 6 should be made up of:
- Uncle Tobys
- Playoff winner
- Highest ranked player (outside of the 2 above)
- Highest ranked junior
- TA discretion
- TA discretion

Also, the French recipient is Capucine Rousseau
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2005-01-09/200501091105317335403.html

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Technically Dellacqua is ranked ahead of Tiffany now if u consider the Hobart points and Watson/Ferguson are only like 1-5 ranking points behind her.

Mireille Dittmann was ranked 208 a few years ago and didnt get a MD WC, and her pre Aust Open form was much better so why should Tiffany get one at 278!

TS
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:36 AM
I agree in part with everyone....but some of you are seem to forget that WC's shouldn't exactly be based on pre lead up form, but on the efforts of the past 12 months and how a player has improved their ranking. Most of you seemed to be singing Tiffany's praises in November, but after a couple of false starts in January she is being crucified. How unforgiving some of you seem to be, it's like you all change your opinions like you change your undies just based on a few bad losses :confused:

Bottom line is that Tiffany may have underperformed in the lead ups (the loss in Canberra was particularly horrendous), but she has improved her ranking by over 600 spots in a year, successfully returned from injury, and is still relatively fresh and young. I never expected that she would ever crack the top 350 so that is a pretty damn good effort for her to get to 275...I think her efforts deserve to be rewarded but I can also understand if she is overlooked as there are also other players that deserve a go as well.

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:06 AM
im sorry but the way i see it is that they are givien chances in the two weeks before the ao to prove that they should get a wildcard and show their best form and tiffany has showed us that she is playing like shit atm and so imo does not deserve a main draw wildcard and instead should be playing qualies. I know she has made a huge leap in the ranks the past 12 months but if you wnat to be any good you have to learn to perofrm when it counts most and quite simply she hasn't while others such as jaslyn, sophie and casey have!

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Wildcards for 2005 Australian Open (confirmed by Janet Young, TA)

Main Draw

1-Evie Dominkovic
2-Cindy Watson
3-Sania Mirza
4-Capucine Rousseau
5-Welford
6-Ferguson
7-Dellacqua
8-Adamczak

Qualifying

1-Szili
2-Hewitt
3-Cupac
4-Dominikovic, D
5-Lukaczwicz
6-Breadmore
7-McDowell
8-Krajicek

I feel so sorry for Jaslyn that she did not get one for main draw coz quite frankly she deserved one more than tiffany and monique combined!

TS
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Combined? lol, dont make me laugh. It's funny we all have our opinions and are so passionate about them....it's great :) :lol:

I can't believe Monique got one :eek: It just goes to show that she does have the support which is why she's been given so many chances this summer
...this is probably TA's way of saying 'we know you are a big talent, here's your chance to have a go'. I'm so happy for Monique, I think I'm going to cry :D

This would have to be the first time in ages that TA has failed to give a WC to a junior in the MD...are they finally learning??

My only gripe is that I wish Daniela was given a WC :(

louloubelle
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM
I thought Jaslyn would get one, but she certainly didn't have a mortgage on one. She only shaded Tiffany with a better leadup preparation. Having said that the Junior handout didn't happen so Jaslyn was unlucky with Monique's inclusion.

TS were you on the selection panel?? ;)

Interesting selection. How often do they select on potential (if they like you) and then on the other hand select on performances when you have the potential but they don't like you!! :rolleyes: This is always the argument with these decisions - potential vs. results.

As for quallies, Wheeler has missed one. Probably her lack of support for Aus tournies didn't help.

Szili got another freebie :bounce: Liv got the investment card which she will get for another year or so!!

AUSBOY
Jan 11th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Im pleased for Monique, dont know if she's ever gonna make full use of her power game but she deserved to get a MD once in her life!!

Im very disappointed for Jaslyn as her form the last 2 weeks in particular really show how far she has come in the last 6 months and more than warranted a chance of a MD WC.

I wish Tiffany all the best and will be rooting for her but Im expecting her to get thrashed. I just dont really see her as much of a talent, I dont care if she improved her rank 580 places, apart from one good week she didnt beat a top 300 player for the rest of the year! Most of her ranking jump was as a result of playing the weakest Asia challengers, which is smart scheduling but does also give a bit of a false rank in terms of ability.

Have to say that TA got most of it right this year.

Are you sure though that Krajicek is playing? Its been reported that she's heading home after Canberra!

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:35 AM
thats what janet young from told me so dunno wouldnt be the first time ta was slow to get with the program!

broncosven
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:49 AM
I like those choices !!

Unlucky for Jaslyn and Dani D but someone had to miss out ??

TS
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:06 AM
TS were you on the selection panel?? ;)

Maybe :banana:

Interesting about Wheeler. She's already the forgotten woman of Australian tennis at 22.

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
stupid girl what a waste of time playing canberra get ya arse back to us and play the 10ks where u belong atm!

Mr_Molik
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
swap tiffany and monique with jaslyn and dani and theyd be almost perfect

Aussie_chic
Jan 11th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Jaslyn!! :sad:

Well hopefully with a good draw she might beable to qually! (fingers crossed.)

Dani should hopefuuly win at least one quallie.
Hmmmmm. Also dont like Tiffs chances but wish her all the best off course.

Everything depends on draw now! Can't wait to c it! (plz b kind to the aussies)

nitocris_tiger
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Apart from her decent results I thought the brother & Joachim factor would have got Jaslyn over the line... unlucky.

Surprised at no juniors but Sophie and Casey are recently graduated so they almost count! Dani will get her chance in the future.

We say it every week just about but what has happened to Wheels? R/U in the Wildcard playoff to Sam in 2004 - can't even get a qualifying WC in 2005 :confused:

TS
Jan 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM
There was a tiny little article in the Herald today about Jaslyn being 'left out in the cold'. Apparently some controversy surrounds this now, as she was overlooked for Monique, despite being ranked higher than Monique and holding a winning record over her (as the article says).

They said Jaslyn was devastated when she was told by a senior official, who explained that decisions are based on rankings, results and....attitude :eek: That is odd because Jaslyn is actually ranked higher :confused:

Monique must have impressed with her attitude then ;)

The article finished saying that the fact that Lleyton was complaining about the court surfaces wouldn't have had a bearing on the decision...obviously just the paper trying to stir the pot.

Interesting :eek:

TS
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Here's the article....http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11918315-23216,00.html

Jaslyn left out in cold
By Leo Schlink
January 12, 2005

AUSTRALIAN Open organisers last night threw a lifeline to Chris Guccione and Todd Reid, ushering the pair into the centenary main draw with wildcards.

But there was controversy when Jaslyn Hewitt was overlooked by selectors despite being ranked higher than Monique Adamczak, who was spirited into Monday's multi-million tournament.

Hewitt, younger sister of dual world champion Lleyton Hewitt, is ranked higher than Adamczak - 346th to 360th - and holds a winning record against her.

Jaslyn Hewitt was devastated on being told by national coach Peter McGraw the decision was based on rankings, results, matches played and attitude.

Last week she held a service break over Czech world No.46 Klara Koykalova in the third set. Tennis Australia sources were adamant her omission was unrelated to her brother's criticism of the Open's court speed.

AUSBOY
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Thanks TS

Jaslyn not getting a MD WC is bullshit especially after those reasons by national coach! On form and recent results she was clearly in the top 3 with Casey and Sophie.

Realistically though either way it was gonna be tough for her to win a match in main draw or qualifying, but I do feel that TA are trying to get back at Lleyton through this!!

Either way I hope Jaslyn can focus on qualifying now and perhaps win a match as that will help her ranking. Then maybe next year they will have to give her a WC if she's top 300!

AUSBOY
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:17 AM
She just like Monique and Tiffany, she deserves a MD WC at some stage in her career, and has earnt that right in my opinion!

ozfan44
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I still have shit on about Jaslyn but OMFG Chris Guccione

WHAT THE FUCK? i knew it was coming but for shit sake what a bloody waste!

:fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery: :mad:

azza
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:06 AM
chris arthurs gets a wc to md :lol: he should prove himself in quallies

rusty_red_head
Jan 12th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Who's Chris arthurs?

broncosven
Jan 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Atleast all players got the WC's that they deserved not like in past years !!

(perhaps not the right classifacation of where there are playing but the player themself)