PDA

View Full Version : Which player appreciates winning the most and who doesn't seem to care?

king416
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I think its obvious that winning means a lot to jen cap, seeing her in the us open this year she getting so excited about possibly getting to the final and also when she beat serena she was ecstatic. On the other side, i think Davenport doesn't seem to be that bothered about winning anymore, she's actually said the wins don't mean as much anymore, she never seems particularly thrilled or dissapointed. What does everyone else reckon?

manu32
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM
yes you are right and i think that jen's emotions are so intense ....when she won RG
against kim the crowd was behind her because she showed a lot of various sentiments ...and this audience liked that over all....idem for steffi graf in 1999.....and very different this year for myskina....i like myskina because she is different but her victory was "sinistre" ....
for davenport i remembered her final wimby against steffi graf and i think she was
very happy???

king416
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:38 PM
yeah, i know winning used to mean loads to davvy (beating Graff in the wimbledon final, she was so emotional), but these days she doesn't seem too fazed. Like at the US open, i know she was injured but she didn't seem gutted that the injury had ended her US open hopes.

Grohl
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I guess everybody is happy in their on way, some don't show it like others (myskina on RG)

Elldee
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Lindsay doesn't show emotion during her matches, no smiles or first pumps, although she mumbles and scolds herself... even after the 18 deuces against Elena in YEC she threw her arms up but her face was the same.

If you saw Lindsay's reaction to beating Venus at the US Open this year, you'd know that winning means a lot, but she contains her emotions until it's a done deal.

Spunky83
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I guess everybody is happy in their on way, some don't show it like others (myskina on RG)

I guess she will probably jumping up and down if she wins a major tourney against a player whose name doesn´t start with Elena ;).

Paldias
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Loves to win: Serena, Justine, Capriati, Maria, Mauresmo
Not so much: Venus, Davenport

Philip
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:21 PM
mykina was playing her 1st gs final with one of her good friends, who was also playing her 1st gs final.. i think it quite understandable that she felt a bit sad, as she would know how much elena would have wanted it too.

i think patty is an odd ball in this thread... as she may seem not too bothered when she is actually playing a match if she wants to win it or not, but when she does win a big match, her reactions can be amazing.

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Players that love to win: Serena, Jennifer, kim, maria..

not-emotional: Davenport, Venus (although she seems to be getting closer to Serena in that department), Sveta....she raised her hands after the Open, but couldn´t she smile just a lil bit?

tennnisfannn
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Depends on what the players has accomplished. Jidkhova beating serena in rd two of a tier two event would have been a much grander occasion than lindsday winning a tier one or two.
Lindsay will probably will only be happy to win a slam, after 40+ titles, only a slam really matters. She obviously is thrilled to have finally beaten a williams. At the FO Myskina showed more emotion beating Venus than she did actually winning the title coz she beat a friend. We have seen serewna thrilled at beating just about everyone except when she beats Venus. Looks like alot depends on the relationship of the players.

Sinnet
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't say Venus doesn't show emotion when she wins. Lately, with the lack of confidence, she's more RELIEVED that she won, rather than happy that she won. Give her some time to get back into her dominating play (like she was playing between 1999 and 2003) and you'll see some more positive emotion from her.

I think Serena is the most happy when it comes to winning -- always a smile on her face, always a fist pump or the throwing of the hands in the air. Sharapova, however, tends to overdo it. Can anyone say drama queen? ;)

Doggy
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:47 AM
OMG Vera is very emotional, so is that ATP player, Sponders Shoeders; he went crazy and smashed the net with his racket like 16 times. You should hear him cussing at himself after he loses like 2 points in a row. I never heard anyone cuss like that before.

Sinnet
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Have any of you seen Roddick off of the court after he loses? I did last year when he lost to Federer at the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. My brother worked security and I was back there when Andy walked to the locker room. He was cursing up a storm, lemme tell you. But that's irrelevant.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:17 AM
All of them care to the same extent, some just show it more than others - Pratt and Schiavone are good examples.

faboozadoo15
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:19 AM
some players are probably negatively motivated because of surroundings and they way they have dealt with things and things have shaped them.

myskina seems more happy "to not lose" than she is "to win." she seems relieved when she wins big matches and hellbent when she loses.
same with dokic and a lot of other players.

though they can still be exhuberant, i think many players are motivated more by "not losing."

fammmmedspin
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Depends what and when too. Winning anything would be enormous for Momo or Serena at the moment. Myskina beating up Elena will always be low key. Myskina winning Moscow or the Fed Cup or beating players she sees as real challenges is really emotional. Lindsay has got used to losing, but watch her jump if she gets another GS. Maria will be interesting idf she ever wins a GS again - she won't want to do the same thing but won't want to look unexcited either. Justine and Kim would have a lot to be emotional about if they made it back and won. Dementieva will be doing cartwheels if she gets it.

skanky~skanketta
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:43 AM
i'll go with serena on this one.