PDA

View Full Version : Who is a bigger celebrity, Serena Williams or Anna Kournikova?

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:54 PM
the flap over Serena's fake interview got me thinking. Forget tennis for a minute - who has more raw star power, Serena or Anna?

Helen Lawson
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM
I do. They're amateurs next to me. Neither will ever have their hand and foot prints set in gold dust at Grauman's Chinese Theatre either.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:19 PM
the flap over Serena's fake interview got me thinking. Forget tennis for a minute - who has more raw star power, Serena or Anna?
Stupid question: obviously, you've never been to a public event where either one of those "celebrities" showed up. i.e, "Meet Anna K." or "meet Serena Wiliams." Kournikova is known throughout the world, and people flock to see her wherever she shows up. I attended a fashionshow in NYC where Anna was present, and you would swear it was a movie premiere. I'm still suffering from all the "flashes" from fan and media cameras.

Mercredi
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Anna Kournikova, Serena is second.

Pureracket
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Anna is probably more famous now; however, Serena's popularity is still evolving. Also, we aren't sure how Serena is going to fare off of the tennis courts compared to Anna. She may actually eclipse Anna in that department.

We do know, though, that their names should not be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to tennis.

manu32
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM
for tennis serena,for all the rest anna.....its not the same "category"....good player
and pretty woman??? no match....

tianitiani
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Anna K is only famous to white people who claim to be fashion nuts. Meanwhile serena is famous true out the world to fashion and non fashion concious people because of her talent.

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Stupid question: obviously, you've never been to a public event where either one of those "celebrities" showed up. i.e, "Meet Anna K." or "meet Serena Wiliams." Kournikova is known throughout the world, and people flock to see her wherever she shows up. I attended a fashionshow in NYC where Anna was present, and you would swear it was a movie premiere. I'm still suffering from all the "flashes" from fan and media cameras.

funny, i would have answered Serena, because as far as i can tell she is getting a lot more play in the US media these days.

Do you really think Serena is not equally as known throughout the world as Kournikova? I dont see how anybody could think that Serena is not well known.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Anna K is only famous to white people who claim to be fashion nuts. Meanwhile serena is famous true out the world to fashion and non fashion concious people because of her talent.
Oh yes, you have to be white and into fashion to know who Anna is. You're so smart. :)

:retard:

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:39 PM
I wasnt aware that Anna is doing fashion shows. Her height is only 5 feet 8, normally that's too short to be a runway model...

Saved!
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Anna K. My girl SW is hot, but not like that white girl is.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:40 PM
funny, i would have answered Serena, because as far as i can tell she is getting a lot more play in the US media these days.

Do you really think Serena is not equally as known throughout the world as Kournikova? I dont see how anybody could think that Serena is not well known.
In Europe :eek: Anna is definitely more popular and more known...and in america maybe slight edge to Serena, but who the hell doesnt know who Anna Kournikova is :confused: my mom and my aunt have trouble when i ask them who michael jordan and wayne gretzky are, but they know anna... they know serena as well, but ive made my point

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM
on another note, who the heck is "Alina Lanikova" in your sig? I have been coming across this name lately but is she a tennis player or what, i have never seen her name in any draw.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM
on another note, who the heck is "Alina Lanikova" in your sig? I have been coming across this name lately but is she a tennis player or what, i have never seen her name in any draw. :lol:

She's a friend of mine who's entering a few ITF's this year in the states. You may know who it is. I have high hopes. :)

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Anna probably has more drool-factor due to all her magazine appearances ( but then again: what else is left for her?), while I think Serena is known mostly due to what´s she done on the tennis courts.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Anna probably has more drool-factor due to all her magazine appearances ( but then again: what else is left for her?), while I think Serena is known mostly due to what´s she done on the tennis courts.
That's a given though... obviously Anna is popular mainly because of her looks and Serena is known mainly because she's an amazing talent... but overall, edge to Anna. And remember, without tennis, Anna would be nothing now. So it's unfair to say her tennis career is 'nothing' (not that you said that, I'm just saying... :p )

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:50 PM
:lol:

She's a friend of mine who's entering a few ITF's this year in the states. You may know who it is. I have high hopes. :)

what do you mean, "i may know who it is?" Is this some sort of wtaworld prank? :lol:

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:51 PM
what do you mean, "i may know who it is?" Is this some sort of wtaworld prank? :lol:
She posts here under a bunch of different names :p

Jaime Bahena
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:55 PM

You should travel to other parts of the world, and see what I'm talking about. US media is not the only source of world news.

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:55 PM
She posts here under a bunch of different names :p

OMG, you've gotta be kidding :haha: but can she really play tennis??

Harju.
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM
on another note, who the heck is "Alina Lanikova" in your sig? I have been coming across this name lately but is she a tennis player or what, i have never seen her name in any draw.
The next rising Russian player. ;).

Harju.
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:57 PM
OMG, you've gotta be kidding :haha: but can she really play tennis??hell yeah. she'll be the next Roddick in term of aces. :haha:

Jaime Bahena
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:58 PM
I wasnt aware that Anna is doing fashion shows. Her height is only 5 feet 8, normally that's too short to be a runway model...
I never mentioned that she was actually in the show, I said that she was there at the show, front row. If I was a runway model, I would have been insulted, because the photographers were pointing the cameras at the audience, not the stage. How rude!!

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM
That's a given though... obviously Anna is popular mainly because of her looks and Serena is known mainly because she's an amazing talent... but overall, edge to Anna. And remember, without tennis, Anna would be nothing now. So it's unfair to say her tennis career is 'nothing' (not that you said that, I'm just saying... :p )

not nothing nothing....but not want we expected from her either. Even her heir apparent has won a title.

Lemonskin.
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:08 PM
I'm from Australia, and I can tell you that EVERYONE knows Kournikova, but not that many people would know who Serena Williams is unless they have some sort of interest in tennis.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Anna :)

She was a celebrity before Serena. She's the better :drool: :lick: woman on the magazines. She was tennis's biggest star off the court and now she's just a star ;)

Serena would be 2nd most famous but hasn't got the A** list Anna has :p

Sanneriet
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM
We do know, though, that their names should not be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to tennis.
;)

Ryan
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Haha! This is not even close to being close. Anna's raw, Hollywood power FAR surpasses Serena's. She is always mentioned on VH1 shows, those cheesy Hollywood worshipping magazines, and basically everywhere. Anna>Serena.

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:45 PM
I love both players, but I think it is hilarious that so many Anna fans here seem to think that Anna has eclipsed Serena as far as Hollywood power goes. Serena is just as popular on the Hollywood circuit as Kournikova and perhaps even more so. Without her relationship with Enrique Iglesias, no one would really care about Anna except Anna fans. Serena is always mentioned on VH-1 shows, she has made just as many appearances in Hollywood worshipping magazines and is basically everywhere. Serena just made an appearance at the Hollywood premiere of Ocean's Eleven and if you go on ************** and look up Serena Williams, you will see at least a dozen or more red carpet appearances in the last couple of months. Anna can't even come close to laying that claim.

Anna still draws attention because she is beautiful and does have talent as a tennis player, but the interest in her is waning and if she doesn't make a move to return to tennis or do something, there will come a point where no one will be interested anymore.

slydevil6142
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Haha! This is not even close to being close. Anna's raw, Hollywood power FAR surpasses Serena's. She is always mentioned on VH1 shows, those cheesy Hollywood worshipping magazines, and basically everywhere. Anna>Serena.
Who cares they both are filthy rich and both exteremly popular ... Im sure neither of them care so why should we haha :bounce: .....

Jaime Bahena
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:04 PM
I love both players, but I think it is hilarious that so many Anna fans here seem to think that Anna has eclipsed Serena as far as Hollywood power goes. Serena is just as popular on the Hollywood circuit as Kournikova and perhaps even more so. Without her relationship with Enrique Iglesias, no one would really care about Anna except Anna fans. Serena is always mentioned on VH-1 shows, she has made just as many appearances in Hollywood worshipping magazines and is basically everywhere. Serena just made an appearance at the Hollywood premiere of Ocean's Eleven and if you go on ************** and look up Serena Williams, you will see at least a dozen or more red carpet appearances in the last couple of months. Anna can't even come close to laying that claim.

Anna still draws attention because she is beautiful and does have talent as a tennis player, but the interest in her is waning and if she doesn't make a move to return to tennis or do something, there will come a point where no one will be interested anymore.

On the American Hollywood scene, Serena reigns supreme. You also failed to mention that USA is not the only country that premieres new movies such as Hollywood does. Hollywood/USA is not the center of the universe. Go to Blockbuster, and rent some foreign movies.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Anna is a bigger celebrity, there's a reason why on the cover of a magazine like SI with both serena and anna in it, they feature anna on the cover and index page, not serena... theres a reason why anna hosts awards shows, has had a show solely about her on vh1, fox sports, espn, E! entertainment, espn classic, etc.... remember we're not talking just about the states here.

Anyway I'm not arguing about it anymore... end

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
On the American Hollywood scene, Serena reigns supreme. You also failed to mention that USA is not the only country that premieres new movies such as Hollywood does. Hollywood/USA is not the center of the universe. Go to Blockbuster, and rent some foreign movies.
Exactly. In the states, Serena is maybe slightly more known and popular... outside the states, Kournikova is colossally more popular

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Who cares they both are filthy rich and both exteremly popular ... Im sure neither of them care so why should we haha :bounce: .....
Another good point...

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:10 PM
On the American Hollywood scene, Serena reigns supreme. You also failed to mention that USA is not the only country that premieres new movies such as Hollywood does. Hollywood/USA is not the center of the universe. Go to Blockbuster, and rent some foreign movies.Gee, a little uppity are we? :eek: I was referring more to the American posters and if you had read the context of what I said, you would have realized that.

Besides, I realize that the world exists outside of the states, but you haven't proven to me that Anna is more popular outside of the states or that Serena is less popular outside of the states.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Gee, a little uppity are we? :eek: I was referring more to the American posters and if you had read the context of what I said, you would have realized that. The thread asks who's a bigger celebrity. Maybe on the 'hollywood scene' Serena is, but that's not the only thing that 'star power' consists of... and around the world, Anna is simply more popular... i like serena, but facts are facts

k, i need to shutup now

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Anna is a bigger celebrity, there's a reason why on the cover of a magazine like SI with both serena and anna in it, they feature anna on the cover and index page, not serena... theres a reason why anna hosts awards shows, has had a show solely about her on vh1, fox sports, espn, E! entertainment, espn classic, etc.... remember we're not talking just about the states here.

Gee, I know that we are not just talking about the states here, but the Williams sisters have also had their documentaries on E, ESPN, VH-1 and etc, they have also hosted award shows, etc.

But I am not going to argue about it anymore either.

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Anna is probably more famous now; however, Serena's popularity is still evolving. Also, we aren't sure how Serena is going to fare off of the tennis courts compared to Anna. She may actually eclipse Anna in that department.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:18 PM
The thread asks who's a bigger celebrity. Maybe on the 'hollywood scene' Serena is, but that's not the only thing that 'star power' consists of... and around the world, Anna is simply more popular... i like serena, but facts are facts

k, i need to shutup now
Something just occurred to me and I need to say it.

Doesn't it upset Anna fans that this is all we have to compare her to Serena is, very simply, a popularity contest? I mean, we can argue who is more popular worldwide and everyone will say something different, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't mean much. What matters is what they do as athletes and unfortunately, Serena astrips Anna there. I guess that is why fans always seem to fall back on the "Who is more popular" argument, because that is the one place where Anna seems to beat Serena (although I don't agree with that argument.)

It's just sad to me that it always falls back to something that is pretty frivolous at the end of the day.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:19 PM

Doesn't it upset Anna fans that this is all we have to compare her to Serena is, very simply, a popularity contest? I mean, we can argue who is more popular worldwide and everyone will say something different, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't mean much. What matters is what they do as athletes and unfortunately, Serena astrips Anna there. I guess that is why fans always seem to fall back on the "Who is more popular" argument, because that is the one place where Anna seems to beat Serena (although I don't agree with that argument.)

It's just sad to me that it always falls back to something that is pretty frivolous at the end of the day.
I completely agree, and it's a real shame that this is what I'm arguing for... I wish it wasnt the case

darrinbaker00
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Of course Serena is bigger. Bigger arms, bigger legs, bigger butt, bigger boobs, bigger bank account, bigger IQ..... ;)

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:22 PM
So, is Anna walking the red carpet at those bigtime movie premiers in Istanbul? :p :lol:
Translation, the USA is not the only country that premieres movies, but it's the only one that counts worldwide.

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:28 PM

HUH???!!! Serena's been on the cover of SI. I haven't seen Anna host an award show, but I've seen her present and I have seen Serena and Venus present. Serena had a show on VH1 about her also. MTV did a Diary on Serena. Serena was also on a Fox sports show about champions with Michael Jordon, and other reigning and past sports icons. She was the only woman. She's also been on ESPN and E!entertainment, ESPN Classic (1999 US Open against Hingis). What are you talking about? I think that's why you left because you knew your post wasn't going to hold up under the pressure. :lol:

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:30 PM
The thread asks who's a bigger celebrity. Maybe on the 'hollywood scene' Serena is, but that's not the only thing that 'star power' consists of... and around the world, Anna is simply more popular... i like serena, but facts are facts

k, i need to shutup now
Yes you do, because Serena is just as popular in Europe, especially the UK, East and Middle East. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the East who'd know Serena and not Anna, simply because Serena has played more tennis there than Anna.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:31 PM
HUH???!!! Serena's been on the cover of SI. I haven't seen Anna host an award show, but I've seen her present and I have seen Serena and Venus present. Serena had a show on VH1 about her also. They did a Diary on Serena. Serena was also on a Fox sports show about champions with Michael Jordon, and other reigning and past sports icons. She was the only woman. She's also been on ESPN and E!entertainment, ESPN Classic (1999 US Open against Hingis). What are you talking about? I think that's why you left because you knew your post wasn't going to hold up under the pressure. :lol:
1) I never left
2) Both have been on the cover of SI, i was referring to the swimsuit edition they were both in
3) Anna hosted a couple shows in Europe, and Ive been harping that this argument goes beyond the US

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Yes you do, because Serena is just as popular in Europe, especially the UK, East and Middle East. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the East who'd know Serena and not Anna, simply because Serena has played more tennis there than Anna.
:haha: no comment

slydevil6142
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I completly forgot about Serenas diary on MTV it was so funny .... of course it was when Serena was about 10 in the world and Venus was number 1 ... aww the good times haha

switz
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:36 PM

i don't know about overall how well known they are. i don't think serena's website would have nearly as many clicks as anna's (even now). i would look at it this way - serena was out for 8 months or so and when she came back it was a big thing. imagine however if kournikova were to come back - i think it would be leading sports pages around the world. anyone who hasn't been to tournament where anna is playing wouldn't understand this but it's simply unbelievable how much support she gets.

at the 2002 or 2003 Aus Open she was playing doubles with Chanda against Martinez and a low ranked Petrova in R2. Margaret Court Arena was packed, there were long lines to gain entry, and the atmosphere was as electric as the any aus open final i've ever been to. take anna out of that match and it would have been on a smaller court with a may hardly anyone watching besides the purists. put serena in that match and it would be a spectacle but nothing in comparison.

i'm not saying this is a good thing btw. it's just my experience.

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:37 PM
1) I never left
2) Both have been on the cover of SI, i was referring to the swimsuit edition they were both in
3) Anna hosted a couple shows in Europe, and Ive been harping that this argument goes beyond the US
Yes, but you fail to realize two things.

1.) Every show you listed in your previous posts on the subject are American shows. You didn't mention the awards show that Anna hosted in Europe in those posts. That is what Denise and I were referring to.

2.) You never mentioned the SI Swimsuit cover specifically, just SI. If you want to go with semantics, Serena has appeared in the swimsuit edition twice and Anna just once.

3.) You keep saying that you're leaving, but you're still here. I knew that you wouldn't leave and quit defending your girl. ;) :p

BTW, you need to change your signature. That's disrespectful to your faves.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:37 PM
i don't know about overall how well known they are. i don't think serena's website would have nearly as many clicks as anna's (even now). i would look at it this way - serena was out for 8 months or so and when she came back it was a big thing. imagine however if kournikova were to come back - i think it would be leading sports pages around the world. anyone who hasn't been to tournament where anna is playing wouldn't understand this but it's simply unbelievable how much support she gets.

at the 2002 or 2003 Aus Open she was playing doubles with Chanda against Martinez and a low ranked Petrova in R2. Margaret Court Arena was packed, there were long lines to gain entry, and the atmosphere was as electric as the any aus open final i've ever been to. take anna out of that match and it would have been on a smaller court with a may hardly anyone watching besides the purists. put serena in that match and it would be a spectacle but nothing in comparison.

see, this is the ultimate point im trying to make... when serena makes appearances at events, tennis or not, the buzz created just isnt the same as the buzz anna creates.

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:38 PM
1) I never left
Anna wasn't on the swimsuit cover of SI neither time Serena was in it. They had a real model on the cover. I remember because I thought it was stupid to use a model when they had an athlete who looked great in her white bikini. Maybe Anna did host a show in Europe, but did the show telecast any further than that country in Europe? The point being that just because she hosted a show in Europe doesn't mean she's more popular worldwide, especially since those shows aren't worldwide telecasts.

darrinbaker00
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:38 PM
1) I never left
The only thing Anna's done that Serena hasn't is half the Russian national hockey team. ;)

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:39 PM
:haha: no comment
What's so funny?

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:40 PM

1.) Every show you listed in your previous posts on the subject are American shows. You didn't mention the awards show that Anna hosted in Europe in those posts. That is what Denise and I were referring to.

2.) You never mentioned the SI Swimsuit cover specifically, just SI. If you want to go with semantics, Serena has appeared in the swimsuit edition twice and Anna just once.

3.) You keep saying that you're leaving, but you're still here. I knew that you wouldn't leave and quit defending your girl. ;) :p

1) sorry for not mentioning i before, but its true
2) the editor of SI swimsuit in an interview said theyve been trying to get anna for years now and she only accepted this issue because tennis isnt interfering with anything and she was available for it ;)
3) i know, i cant help it :sad:

4) i dont really believe that, my faves just really frustrate me, as you can see... oh, and i fail to mention lucic in my sig, whos another fave :rolleyes: :p

WhatTheDeuce
The only thing Anna's done that Serena hasn't is half the Russian national hockey team. ;)
:lol:

apoet29

It makes me wonder if all the pressure ultimately got to her. Knowing that people were watching your every move and waiting for her to succeed or fail. That had to mess with her head. Even a little bit.

icequeen
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Serena hands down.

Denise4925
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:43 PM
see, this is the ultimate point im trying to make... when serena makes appearances at events, tennis or not, the buzz created just isnt the same as the buzz anna creates.
Believe me, it is, but it's for her tennis and her outfits. Not for the reason they want to see Anna. Did you see the YEC? The only time that place was filled was when Serena was playing.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Believe me, it is, but it's for her tennis and her outfits. Not for the reason they want to see Anna. Did you see the YEC? The only time that place was filled was when Serena was playing.
if anna was playing, that place would be packed as well, i PROMISE you that

and people want to see anna because she's hot and her outfits are quite the eye candy as well, but the argument isnt whos the better tennis player, its popularity, sadly.

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:45 PM
1) sorry for not mentioning i before, but its true
2) the editor of SI swimsuit in an interview said theyve been trying to get anna for years now and she only accepted this issue because tennis isnt interfering with anything and she was available for it ;)
3) i know, i cant help it :sad:

4) i dont really believe that, my faves just really frustrate me, as you can see... oh, and i fail to mention lucic in my sig, whos another fave :rolleyes: :p
1.) I realize that Anna has hosted shows in Europe, but those shows are not telecast over here, but it is hard to see what her impact really is worldwide.

2.) I think Anna did SI as a way of staying in the spotlight. It is one thing to pose when you are at the top of your game, like Serena did in 2003. It is something else entirely to do it when you career is in decline. Don't get me wrong. She looked good, but it seemed to me that she did it as a bid for attention, knowing how these issues are always top sellers. Besides, I have a hard time believing that Anna did not have time to pose for SI in years past, knowing the kind of attention she could get from it. A lot of models have talked about how SI jumpstart careers for them. Maybe that is what Anna was hoping that posing this time would do for her.

3.) Maybe you might want to say faves who frustrate me?

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:48 PM
1.) I realize that Anna has hosted shows in Europe, but those shows are not telecast over here, but it is hard to see what her impact really is worldwide.

2.) I think Anna did SI as a way of staying in the spotlight. It is one thing to pose when you are at the top of your game, like Serena did in 2003. It is something else entirely to do it when you career is in decline. Don't get me wrong. She looked good, but it seemed to me that she did it as a bid for attention, knowing how these issues are always top sellers. Besides, I have a hard time believing that Anna did not have time to pose for SI in years past, knowing the kind of attention she could get from it. A lot of models have talked about how SI jumpstart careers for them. Maybe that is what Anna was hoping that posing this time would do for her.

3.) Maybe you might want to say faves who frustrate me?
2) I saw the interview on the Spike TV special with the editor, they asked Anna for many years to do it and she always declined. the point is she was in high demand... whether the reason was she was too busy or simply didnt think it necessary is another issue

3) what do you mean :confused: lol

icequeen
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:54 PM

This post is so on target.

icequeen
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Gee, I know that we are not just talking about the states here, but the Williams sisters have also had their documentaries on E, ESPN, VH-1 and etc, they have also hosted award shows, etc.

But I am not going to argue about it anymore either.

Serena just hosted a show last week. I do not hear anything about Anna I like I am always hearing about Serena. Serena also, were in several TV shows and she will be in another one on UPN coming up soon where' s anna.

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:06 PM
2) I saw the interview on the Spike TV special with the editor, they asked Anna for many years to do it and she always declined. the point is she was in high demand... whether the reason was she was too busy or simply didnt think it necessary is another issue

3) what do you mean :confused: lol2.) I know that SI had asked Anna for years, which is no great surprise, but the fact that she did it now was disappointing to me because it felt more like a bid for attention and less like something she would do otherwise. I mean, if SI had been asking Anna for years, why not do it before? Anna has always done photo shoots during her playing days. It is not as if this one would take up a great deal of her time anyway. Besides, if Anna had been playing successfully, would she had even felt a need to do SI?

3.) To suck, would imply that your faves aren't talent. That is not the case. They are talented, but are going through a bit of a downturn. That is why I think frustrate would be a better word than suck.

4.) Right now, Anna is not doing much. Whether that is by design or lack of interest, I do not know. But for someone who has always been in the spotlight and clearly enjoys being in the spotlight, you never see her do anything anymore. If she does not reemerge into the spotlight at some time, she will find her popularity slipping if it hasn't already.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:08 PM
2.) I know that SI had asked Anna for years, which is no great surprise, but the fact that she did it now was disappointing to me because it felt more like a bid for attention and less like something she would do otherwise. I mean, if SI had been asking Anna for years, why not do it before? Anna has always done photo shoots during her playing days. It is not as if this one would take up a great deal of her time anyway. Besides, if Anna had been playing successfully, would she had even felt a need to do SI?

3.) To suck, would imply that your faves aren't talent. That is not the case. They are talented, but are going through a bit of a downturn. That is why I think frustrate would be a better word than suck.
2) i agree, but anna is welcome to do SI Swimsuit for any reason in my book :drool:

3) true again. i'm just overly emotional about my faves losing, and they always end up retiring and/or slumping these days. i hate it. :sad:

apoet29
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:12 PM
2) i agree, but anna is welcome to do SI Swimsuit for any reason in my book :drool:

3) true again. i'm just overly emotional about my faves losing, and they always end up retiring and/or slumping these days. i hate it. :sad:
2.) You little pervert you! :devil:

3.) Yes, I understand, but life is not predictable, and things can happen to the best of us.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:13 PM
anyway, it's been fun apoet, but i gotta go now ;)

icequeen
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:16 PM

Yep, I notice that also. They might even decide to keep it in LA. That YEC was the most well attended I have ever seen and heck if Vee had made it it would have been even more.

BTW talking about a pack audience did you guys see the master in Spain last week good lord it was like a GS I could not believe my eyes the stand was so pack that people had to sit on the steps. Amazing.

faboozadoo15
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:28 PM

well it's really not a contest nor a comparison. anna k is a mogul, a human who doesn't even need to try to be popular. everyone knows who she is as a human being who happens to have played tennis. people know who serena williams is if they know tennis. anna could show up at any premier or award show, and she doesn't a lot of the time because she doesn't need to. her allure is often how far she seems to try to step back from the spotlight but wherever she goes, it's there.

faboozadoo15
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:31 PM
i forgot to add that it's no BAD thing to be known because you are great at tennis and also be able to keep people's interest off the court like serena does. it's actually a very good thing and something serena would be proud of.

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Anna´s more popular than Lindsay D too......but whose´s career would you or Anna herself wish she had? Lindsay´s or Anna´s?

switz
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Anna´s more popular than Lindsay D too......but whose´s career would you or Anna herself wish she had? Lindsay´s or Anna´s?

i just don't know what point you are making. it is plainly obvious that anna has not had the career of these players and would not have had even if injuries didn't come in (although i think she would have been a top player a lot longer because at her peak she was a great tennis player). this thread is clearly about the issue of does anna's non tennis profile outweigh serena's achievements on the court and off court in terms of celebrity status.

we must remember also that if anna was never a good tennis player she would be nothing but an attractive girls. it was her personality coupled with her early success that started the anna train.

you're a smart poster most of the time but that post was just silly IMO

faboozadoo15
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:23 AM
HUH???!!! Serena's been on the cover of SI. I haven't seen Anna host an award show, but I've seen her present and I have seen Serena and Venus present. Serena had a show on VH1 about her also. MTV did a Diary on Serena. Serena was also on a Fox sports show about champions with Michael Jordon, and other reigning and past sports icons. She was the only woman. She's also been on ESPN and E!entertainment, ESPN Classic (1999 US Open against Hingis). What are you talking about? I think that's why you left because you knew your post wasn't going to hold up under the pressure. :lol:
serena was once on the lowest selling copy of SI in the year of its release, yes. that's correct (though she has been featured on a few covers)
anna has hosted the GQ image awards (i believe that's what they're called). anna is just a mogul who is famous for being famous. you really can't compete with that. people who have no clue about tennis know who she is. right now there are peop,le around her trying to take pictures of her. she gets photographed while shopping without incident, while serena has her spotlight when she seeks it. there's a big difference.

icequeen
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:23 AM
well it's really not a contest nor a comparison. anna k is a mogul, a human who doesn't even need to try to be popular. everyone knows who she is as a human being who happens to have played tennis. people know who serena williams is if they know tennis. anna could show up at any premier or award show, and she doesn't a lot of the time because she doesn't need to. her allure is often how far she seems to try to step back from the spotlight but wherever she goes, it's there.

Maybe she's not invited that is why she does not show up.

faboozadoo15
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:26 AM
:tape: if you want to believe that, i'll let you. :haha:
i personally haven't seen any invitations... but if someone wanted press, it would be a guarantee that they would get it if anna showed up.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:26 AM
K. Serena goes to more movie premiers. Please come up with more evidence to support your uneducated claim. Thanks.

bandabou
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:54 AM
i just don't know what point you are making. it is plainly obvious that anna has not had the career of these players and would not have had even if injuries didn't come in (although i think she would have been a top player a lot longer because at her peak she was a great tennis player). this thread is clearly about the issue of does anna's non tennis profile outweigh serena's achievements on the court and off court in terms of celebrity status.

we must remember also that if anna was never a good tennis player she would be nothing but an attractive girls. it was her personality coupled with her early success that started the anna train.

you're a smart poster most of the time but that post was just silly IMO

She´s a bigger star than Serena....because we STILL live in the blonde-blue eyes-era....and since Serena is neither blonde or has blue-eyes, she will find it difficult to appeal to the massas like anna does.

sartrista7
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:07 AM
She´s a bigger star than Serena....because we STILL live in the blonde-blue eyes-era....and since Serena is neither blonde or has blue-eyes, she will find it difficult to appeal to the massas like anna does.

That's pretty irrelevant. Beyoncé, for example, is a bigger star than Anna and Serena put together.

As for the original question - seriously, there are still people out there who get Venus and Serena mixed up. They're stupid, but then celebrity ratings are mostly fuelled by stupid people. Neither are even close to A list (this is tennis after all, it's a minor sport), but Anna is way, way higher than Serena worldwide. Like, not even close.

In many ways this is because Serena's built her fame on being great at tennis, whereas Anna has not. As I said, tennis is a minor sport. The biggest draw ever in the tennis world will barely make a blip on the celebrity radar.

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:10 AM
people know who serena williams is if they know tennis.
:bs:

Rena_Hunk
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:20 AM
serena csn buy anna and sell her at a discount!!!

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:23 AM
serena was once on the lowest selling copy of SI in the year of its release, yes. that's correct (though she has been featured on a few covers)
anna has hosted the GQ image awards (i believe that's what they're called). anna is just a mogul who is famous for being famous. you really can't compete with that. people who have no clue about tennis know who she is. right now there are peop,le around her trying to take pictures of her. she gets photographed while shopping without incident, while serena has her spotlight when she seeks it. there's a big difference.
I think you have life and bullshit all mixed up. Anna is famous for being the best looking blond blue-eyed girl to play tennis in a while and it snowballed from that. Her fame came from playing tennis. She just didn't walk out of Russia and become famous for being famous. People who have no clue about tennis know who Serena is also. Everywhere Serena goes people take pictures of her. Serena also gets photographed while shopping. Serena doesn't need to seek the spotlight, like Anna, it's drawn to her. She goes to premiers because she wants to, not to seek the spotlight. Again, she doesn't need to seek it. She doesn't need to seek it because she's a great tennis player and she's been on American TV shows, a couple of dramas and a sitcom. Not just sports and other awards and fashion shows, although she's done quite a few of those too. What has Anna done? Been in a Julio Iglesias(sp?) video, hosted an awards show and a European awards show. Wow!! Serena doesn't seek the spotlight because she doesn't need the fame because she already has it, plus a lucrative career and endorsements. What has Anna endorsed lately? Also, Anna has to seek the spotlight because, as you have stated fame is her bread and butter. She certainly has nothing else. When that fades, what else has she? You're right, there is a big difference.

Yam
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:26 AM
About the same i'd say. williams certainly more famous in america though.

Serena is certainly more respected, which IMO is the most important!

Sinnet
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:33 AM

Precisely. Respect wise, Serena (and Venus, for that matter) are way above Anna. Anna has accomplished nothing tennis wise, and it's mind boggling for me why any actual TENNIS fans (not celebrity fans) "worship" Anna tennis-wise when she hasn't done anything but stop playing.

As for popularity is concerned, noone here can answer without being biased, so its a pointless poll. They're equal, and that's coming from someone who favors Serena over Kournikova but can recognize that Anna is just as popular.

Sinnet
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:33 AM
"the flap over Serena's fake interview got me thinking."

What fake interview? Can someone enlighten me? I've missed something.

faboozadoo15
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:04 AM
denise just proved my point. serena without tennis won't even be talked about. anna hasn't had tennis in years and she's still a hotter commodity.

serena doesn't seek the spotlight? get real. she has openly admitted to loving it and seeking it.

really at the end of the day this is like madonna vs. norah jones. not that madonna isn't talented and not that norah isn't pretty.

tennischick
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Anna by a mile. Serena has only just begun to be a celebrity. Anna could give her pointers on how to deal with the crap that comes with it.

SzavayFi
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Anna for sure.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:51 AM
denise just proved my point. serena without tennis won't even be talked about. anna hasn't had tennis in years and she's still a hotter commodity.

serena doesn't seek the spotlight? get real. she has openly admitted to loving it and seeking it.

really at the end of the day this is like madonna vs. norah jones. not that madonna isn't talented and not that norah isn't pretty.
Thank you, faboo.

vogus
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:09 AM
i don't think this comparison is anything like Madonna/Norah Jones, as both of those singers have had tremendous commercial and critical success in their profession, the difference being that Madonna has had it for a longer time.

and just for the record, bandy, Anna doesn't have blue eyes (unless she has colored them in the past couple of years). Her eyes were always greenish/hazel.

vogus
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:19 AM

as usual, you and i see pretty much eye to eye on this topic. In my opinion Anna's popularity has fallen off tremendously in the last four years compared to what it used to be before she stopped playing week-in, week-out on the tour. Admittedly, i see her popularity from the perspective of a tennis fan, which could be making me biased.

I think if Anna announced a return to tennis, the reaction from the media would really be a rather skeptical "We've seen it all before" half-yawn, as opposed to huge headlines. But, Anna returning AND winning would make a huge splash (like Capriati, except bigger) - but the irony there is that in order for that to happen, Anna would have to prioritize her tennis above simply being famous - which IMO, is something she has never done.

GoDominique
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:09 AM
I would say that Anna is more famous than Serena in Germany but for all the wrong reasons.

When Anna appears in the media, it's usually with the headline "No success but still beautiful" or something similar.
That means that people remember her as a tennis player, but as a crappy one. No one remembers that she has been top 10 and won slams in doubles.
So there's no respect at all for Anna the tennis player.

Sooner or later Anna will be forgotten because beauty and youth are her only qualities and they won't last forever.

ALPHA
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:45 AM

This topic is a real sad one ... I know, it's off-season period. But seriously, this topic isn't fair to neither of them. Regular posters over here know which player I am a fan of, but such a topic is the last thing I will join in to talk about.

jenny161185
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Anna! I think

BeautifulGirl
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM

none of the above.

Masha has more star quality and power. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Geisha
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Serens is a bigger celebrity, simply because tennis is bigger now than in 2000, IMO.

Lemonskin.
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM
It's Anna. For worldwide fame, Anna easily. Maybe in America Serena is just as famous as Anna but Anna smashes her for global recognisability and popularity.

BoucharDRules
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Anna is a good friend of Donald Trump. That's got to tell you something. ;)

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:30 PM
OK sports fans (and fans of bootylicious tennis players), count up the votes: who wins? Stop "beating a dead horse," as we Yanks say, and give us the final tally. Who wins, Anna or Serena? Next poll: Who has better teeth? Hingis or Anna K? Who has the biggest [fill in the blank]? Come on, people, we're curious. Come up with some more mindless polls so we can vote.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM

What? That shee likes old, rich billionaires?

BeautifulGirl
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM
What? That shee likes old, rich billionaires?

somebody has to support her high lifestyle you know. :rolleyes: especially that she's retired :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Here's what Anna is doing nowadays -

http://popdirt.com/article33544.html

rjd1111
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Nothing Stupid about it. Right Now.( Not a couple of years ago.) Serena is more popular. You can't pick up a fashion Mag, or go to an awards show
without seeing Serena. She was Cheered and revered in China where she
didn't know anyone knew her. Talk shows, TV and Radio. And I don't think Anna was invited to Tiger Woods Wedding. Serena Was. Oprah, Leno.

goldenlox
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Nothing Stupid about it. Right Now.( Not a couple of years ago.) Serena is more popular. You can't pick up a fashion Mag, or go to an awards show
without seeing Serena. She was Cheered and revered in China where she
didn't know anyone knew her. Talk shows, TV and Radio. And I don't think Anna was invited to Tiger Woods Wedding. Serena Was. Oprah, Leno.Tiger Woods' wedding? Who cares?

G_Slammed
Dec 10th, 2004, 04:50 PM
I go with Anna Kournikova as most popular celebrity globally vs. Williams.

Americans have acted a straight up fool over Anna, so we can only imagine what it's like everywhere else.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM
So, is Anna walking the red carpet at those bigtime movie premiers in Istanbul? :p :lol:
Translation, the USA is not the only country that premieres movies, but it's the only one that counts worldwide.

I'm sure of it. That's why so many Italian and French actors are flocking to Hollywood, just to walk the red carpet here in USA. They don't care about their own country, like you said. [Hollywood] is the only one that counts worldwide. Translation: get a grip.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Tiger Woods' wedding? Who cares?
FYI: Anna K was invited to his wedding, but she had the same attitude as you: "Tiger Woods wedding? Who cares?" Don't forget, he's the #3 golfer in the world.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM

Good point: she gained my respect when she showed up in that see through red dress at that movie premiere. What's next, full frontal nudity?

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:20 PM
FYI: Anna K was invited to his wedding, but she had the same attitude as you: "Tiger Woods wedding? Who cares?" Don't forget, he's the #3 golfer in the world.
And what? This is suppose to show how famous she is? That she is so famous she didn't attend Tiger Wood's wedding? I'm sure, if she was invited, she had her reasons for not going. That had nothing to do with fame.

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Good point: she gained my respect when she showed up in that see through red dress at that movie premiere. What's next, full frontal nudity?Just like Anna gained my respect when she showed up at the WTA awards in her underwear with a black mesh skirt and top that barely covered her T & A! :rolleyes:

Everyone has their bad fashion moments. Anna included. I think fans are talking about respect in her sport, which unfortunately, Anna does not have despite her talent.

Dava
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Right now you have to say Serena is the bigger celebrity. Shes always in the US Tabliods and you see her in the British ones to. Anna doesnt really get that much exposure anymore, unless shes doing something specific. Your always reading some Bullshit story about Serena going shopping with Brad in The National Enquirer these days.

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I think celebrity all has to do with timing. Right now, Serena is in the public eye more; therefore, she has more exposure. Since she left tennis, you rarely hear about Anna unless she is out with Enrique and she never seems to leave home without him unless she is going shopping. So unless Anna returns to tennis and does something else, Serena is the bigger celebrity for now.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:41 PM

You failed to mentioned that Anna has only appeared in the SI Swimsuit one time, but she's been asked six times, and declined five of those times. Check with her agent, and he will confirm that fact.

darrinbaker00
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM
I might be wrong, but go on the street, and show a picture of Anna, and show a picture of Serena, I'm sure at the end of the day there's more people who will have recognized Anna, while Serena might be indentified as "Venus" or "Beyoncé" by many.
Yep, because all us black folks look alike..... :rolleyes:

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM
You failed to mentioned that Anna has only appeared in the SI Swimsuit one time, but she's been asked six times, and declined five of those times. Check with her agent, and he will confirm that fact.
I already knew that. In fact, I already mentioned that in another post.

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I might be wrong, but go on the street, and show a picture of Anna, and show a picture of Serena, I'm sure at the end of the day there's more people who will have recognized Anna, while Serena might be indentified as "Venus" or "Beyoncé" by many.
I think that depends on where you are.

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
:lol: :worship:

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Just like Anna gained my respect when she showed up at the WTA awards in her underwear with a black mesh skirt and top that barely covered her T & A! :rolleyes:

Everyone has their bad fashion moments. Anna included. I think fans are talking about respect in her sport, which unfortunately, Anna does not have despite her talent.

Oh, so now you're talking about respect in their sports. All the posts have been talking about is "celebrity" status, not respect gained by each separate athlete.

Pureracket
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I might be wrong, but go on the street, and show a picture of Anna, and show a picture of Serena, I'm sure at the end of the day there's more people who will have recognized Anna, while Serena might be indentified as "Venus" or "Beyoncé" by many.Serena and Venus should probably be confused because they are too sisters who play tennis. I am not really sure if anybody would confuse her with Beyonce', though.

sartrista7
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Er, not really. People who don't follow tennis closely get Venus and Serena mixed up because they've always 'come as a pair', so to speak - they were marketed together, they rose up together, they dominated together, they even got injured and slipped down the rankings together. I mean, my parents certainly wouldn't know which was which: they can tell 'the older one' from 'the younger one' but they haven't got the names memorised yet :o

The Beyoncé thing clearly comes from Serena's massively undisguised biting of Beyoncé's style at every turn for the past two years.

sartrista7
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:46 PM
(Although no one would confuse her with Beyoncé because most people know who Beyoncé is.)

Dawn Marie
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Serena has more celebrity status right now. Anna's star appeal is fastly fading.

Anna is not even mentioned much anymore. She is up under Enrique's ass.. (Literally) and has not done a thing without him next to her side. Enrique is more popular than Anna!! lol.

It's more like Enrique and his girl more so than Anna Kornikova.

and yes, Serena gets loads of respect worldwide as being a tennis CHAMPION. Anna get's loads of disrespect. "the cute girl who has no won any titles" etc etc etc.

her celebrity status is actually a joke now. She is known for the pretty girl who never amounted ot anything on the tennis courts.

If Serena was out for as long as Anna has been, she would get all kinds of front page news. Yet Serena is a tennis player first and that won't happen. If Anna came back it would not be all that news worthy, cause the tennis world has heard this crap before. She has to win a title to gain her star status cause it is slowly fading to black.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM

The only thing Serena's done that Anna hasn't is half the L.A. Lakers basketball team.

Dawn Marie
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:53 PM
sartrista tell that crap to some IGNORANT fool.

People do have this problem with thinking that black folks look alike. you can state your opinions all you want but until you have LIVED it then save that crap for someone else.

Venus and Serena don't even look much alike in my opinion anyway!! lol

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Oh, so now you're talking about respect in their sports. All the posts have been talking about is "celebrity" status, not respect gained by each separate athlete.
Honestly? I think you need to calm down a bit. You are taking this way too seriously. If you think Anna is a bigger celebrity, all the more power to you. I don't agree, but you keep biting at me over this issue and quite frankly, I don't know what else to say to you.

Dawn Marie
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Anna fans have nothing to talk tennis about regarding Anna. I actually feel sad for her fans. Invested so much time, debating, watching and what did she do? She left you all to make money and sell her looks.

She could at least gave you fans something to remember her by when she gets old and grey. When you get old and grey.

All you'll have is old pics and the feeling that.. "she really could have been a great player IF ONLY....

Pamela Shriver
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Who is a bigger celebrity, Serena Williams or Anna Kournikova?
Non are Bond girls though. *Smug Mode*

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:58 PM
It has nothing to do with the fact that they look alike or not.

They have been marketed as the "Williams sisters". For the majority of people, that's what they are, "the Williams sisters". Or "Venus and Serena". But ask Joe on the street, he won't be able to tell which one is Serena.
Actually, I live in football country and most people here know the difference between Venus and Serena. These are the same people who could give f**ck-all about tennis too.

The fact is that they have not been marketed as the Williams sisters for a long time. Serena has branched out on her own and Venus has pretty much gone into the shadows behind her sister. Most people know Serena Williams. Whether they like her is another story.

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Non are Bond girls though. *Smug Mode*

Frank Riley
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I think Anna Kournikova had the largest star power, Serena never matched her but to be honest Anna and Serena are fading away fast, more so for Anna, 5 years we will not be talking about Anna at all.

Dawn Marie
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I know that Dr. Martin Bagel, I agree to some extent because from MY personal experience alot of people think that all black folks look alike. DUH!!

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:02 PM
I think Anna Kournikova had the largest star power, Serena never matched her but to be honest Anna and Serena are fading away fast, more so for Anna, 5 years we will not be talking about Anna at all.
If Serena keeps playing tennis and stays in the spotlight, there is no way that she is going to fade. As for Anna, I have no idea what's going on with her. I hope that he is worth it.

apoet29
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I know that Dr. Martin Bagel, I agree to some extent because from MY personal experience alot of people think that all black folks look alike. DUH!!
Actually, as an Asian, I've had the same experience too. Pretty sad how shortsighted some people can be.

Dawn Marie
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
The fact that Serena is being compared to Anna and popularity makes me laugh. If serena is only being noticed in America then why is this very much so, WORLDWIDE tennis board is using Serena as the comparison to Anna and celebrity status?

I mean what has changed lately? Is it because Serena star power is rising? Could it be that Anna's star power is fading... err rising?

Lol, Serena can only gain more star power because she is an ACTIVE player. She is also in hollywood!!

The bottomline: It is SERENA WILLIAMS who has a DOLL made of her likeness!! You know you are the popular one when you have a barbie doll that looks like you!!

Anna does not have a Doll made of her likenes because frankly she does not a mass appeal market. She is for the young and old and the boys and men. Serena can sell to children. Something Anna just cannot do, becasue she is not RESPECTED as a SPORTS FIGURE and ROLE MODEL.

which is sad because Anna clearly had the potential to be a great tennis player and singles title winner.

Dawn Marie
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Apoet, I agree so many people think that Asian's look alike which is sad.

Becool
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
My sister doesn't have any idea on who's Kournikova.. but she knows Serena Williams..

faboozadoo15
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:54 PM
My sister doesn't have any idea on who's Kournikova.. but she knows Serena Williams..
how old is your sister?
and since serena's your favorite player (im taking a guess) it really shouldn't be s surprusie that your sibling "knows who they are."

SerialKiller#69
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:09 PM
It's a countless argument, most likely started to start a fight. But I have some points to make.

Anna's celebrity started with her tennis career. Anything that isn't tennis related somehow always comes down to her being a tennis player. She didn't just appear in the tennis scene famous and popular. And whoever said that without Enrique, Anna won't be talked about is convincing himself/herself too hard to think it is so. I've known Kournikova way back before Serena, not to say that Serena isn't popular herself. But Kournikova's name has already revolved around the world. She's done her mark. And in no time, Serena will be doing the same.

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Like I said, you have life and bullshit all mixed up. :lol: Serena will go down in history as one of five women to hold all four slam championships. She is arguably one of the best tennis players ever to play the game. She and Venus will be talked about for decades to come for the history they have made in tennis. Whereas Anna is a flash in the pan. Some pimply faced boy who grows up to be a nasty old man may remember her 30 years from now, but I'd say in the next 10 years, she will be forgotten, because she will no longer be the sexy nymphet sought after by the little boys and men who find her alluring now. She will be played out and forgotten. Serena with or without tennis will be talked about and remembered. In fact, I predict in thirty years, Flushing Meadows will name a tennis court after her. Maybe Anna will get a pair of drawers named after her. :tape:

Again, regarding the spotlight, she doesn't have to seek it. She may love it and who wouldn't? Anna certainly does, because that's her bread and butter and she needs it. Serena doesn't need it, but she loves it. :lol:

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Sooner or later Anna will be forgotten because beauty and youth are her only qualities and they won't last forever.
That's what I'm talking about.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:37 PM
That's pretty irrelevant. Beyoncé, for example, is a bigger star than Anna and Serena put together.

As for the original question - seriously, there are still people out there who get Venus and Serena mixed up. They're stupid, but then celebrity ratings are mostly fuelled by stupid people. Neither are even close to A list (this is tennis after all, it's a minor sport), but Anna is way, way higher than Serena worldwide. Like, not even close.

In many ways this is because Serena's built her fame on being great at tennis, whereas Anna has not. As I said, tennis is a minor sport. The biggest draw ever in the tennis world will barely make a blip on the celebrity radar.

In America, Beyonce is huge!!! Take her down to Argentina, have her walk down a Buenos Aires boulevard with Shakira, and people will ask, "who's that girl with Shakira?"

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:38 PM
So is Serena ;)

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM
This post is getting out of hand. Serena fans will always say that she's a bigger celeb, and Anna K fans will always say that Anna's a bigger celeb. Stop the insanity.

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I'm sure of it. That's why so many Italian and French actors are flocking to Hollywood, just to walk the red carpet here in USA. They don't care about their own country, like you said. [Hollywood] is the only one that counts worldwide. Translation: get a grip.
Translation: you must be stupid. Do you know where all the money is in the film industry. Why do you think that all foreigner actors, who are stars in their own country, want to come to the US to be stars. Duhhh, they will be stars globally and filthy rich on top of it. Obviously, you don't know anything about the film industry. Look at Bruce Lee, Peter Sellers, Sophia Loren, Salma Hayek, just to name a few who were stars in their own country, but became even bigger stars once they got a film based out of Hollywood. You're an idiot. :rolleyes: It's not about thinking that the US is the end all be all, it's about the film industry and facts that lie therein, i.e. the US movie industry is the only one that counts, worldwide.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM
I'm not certain which tennis player is a bigger celeb, but I get the feeling that Serena envies Anna's physical look. Look at Serena's appearance: blonde wannabe, wears colored contacts at some public events. Don't you think she would love to be blonde haired, blue eyed like Anna K?...Serena sure as h*ll acts like it...

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Why, because you think people think all black people look alike? I give more credit to the world populace than that. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:57 PM
The only thing Serena's done that Anna hasn't is half the L.A. Lakers basketball team.
That's a lie. Name one person she's even dated on the Laker's team. Did you write that hoax email. Because it seems you're good at making up things as you go along. :o

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:02 PM

They have been marketed as the "Williams sisters". For the majority of people, that's what they are, "the Williams sisters". Or "Venus and Serena". But ask Joe on the street, he won't be able to tell which one is Serena.
You know what Martian, I did just that today. I stopped this elderly white man (probably about 70 years of age) walking downtown by my office building and showed him a picture of Serena I had downloaded from my computer at a premier and he said, "that's Serena Williams". This is downtown San Antonio, Texas. He didn't say Venus or a Williams Sister, or I don't know...but SERENA Williams. He asked me why and I told him about your post and he laughed.

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:09 PM
I'm not certain which tennis player is a bigger celeb, but I get the feeling that Serena envies Anna's physical look. Look at Serena's appearance: blonde wannabe, wears colored contacts at some public events. Don't you think she would love to be blonde haired, blue eyed like Anna K?...Serena sure as h*ll acts like it...
I have never seen a bigger liar. Serena may have gone blond in 2003, but she's never worn colored contacts. Besides, is Anna even blue-eyed?

:Rawwb:
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM
As much as i hate to admit it anna is more celebrity.....i personally hate her but serena is no match for talent obviously

darrinbaker00
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM
In America, Beyonce is huge!!! Take her down to Argentina, have her walk down a Buenos Aires boulevard with Shakira, and people will ask, "who's that girl with Shakira?"
WHOOP.....DEE.....DOO! If you don't think Shakira would trade her success in Argentina for Beyoncé's success in America, then I've got two bridges in San Francisco that I'd like to sell you.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Honestly? I think you need to calm down a bit. You are taking this way too seriously. If you think Anna is a bigger celebrity, all the more power to you. I don't agree, but you keep biting at me over this issue and quite frankly, I don't know what else to say to you.
Sorry, too much coffee. I'm surprised you're taking this as seriously as I am, because you've been responding to most of my posts. Maybe you need to take some of your own advice.

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:26 PM
WHOOP.....DEE.....DOO! If you don't think Shakira would trade her success in Argentina for Beyoncé's success in America, then I've got two bridges in San Francisco that I'd like to sell you.
Boo, like you told me about that other dope. This boat has already left the dock and is without rudders. :lol: Or something to that effect. :p

This is basically what I was trying to convey to him about the movie industry. I think he has me on ignore. :lol:

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Translation: you must be stupid. Do you know where all the money is in the film industry. Why do you think that all foreigner actors, who are stars in their own country, want to come to the US to be stars. Duhhh, they will be stars globally and filthy rich on top of it. Obviously, you don't know anything about the film industry. Look at Bruce Lee, Peter Sellers, Sophia Loren, Salma Hayek, just to name a few who were stars in their own country, but became even bigger stars once they got a film based out of Hollywood. You're an idiot. :rolleyes: It's not about thinking that the US is the end all be all, it's about the film industry and facts that lie therein, i.e. the US movie industry is the only one that counts, worldwide.

You're right, I'm an idiot. But at least I'm not ugly. Tomorrow, I'm going to be "well versed, and enlightened." Guess what? You're gonna ugly for the rest of your life.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Two bridges in San Francisco? I bet you own the bridges located in the gay part of San Francisco, right?

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Boo, like you told me about that other dope. This boat has already left the dock and is without rudders. :lol: Or something to that effect. :p

This is basically what I was trying to convey to him about the movie industry. I think he has me on ignore. :lol:

Post a picture, and maybe I'll stop ignoring you, Denise4925.

icequeen
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Like I said, you have life and bullshit all mixed up. :lol: Serena will go down in history as one of five women to hold all four slam championships. She is arguably one of the best tennis players ever to play the game. She and Venus will be talked about for decades to come for the history they have made in tennis. Whereas Anna is a flash in the pan. Some pimply faced boy who grows up to be a nasty old man may remember her 30 years from now, but I'd say in the next 10 years, she will be forgotten, because she will no longer be the sexy nymphet sought after by the little boys and men who find her alluring now. She will be played out and forgotten. Serena with or without tennis will be talked about and remembered. In fact, I predict in thirty years, Flushing Meadows will name a tennis court after her. Maybe Anna will get a pair of drawers named after her. :tape:

Again, regarding the spotlight, she doesn't have to seek it. She may love it and who wouldn't? Anna certainly does, because that's her bread and butter and she needs it. Serena doesn't need it, but she loves it. :lol:

This post is so, so, true. The best one so far on this topic.

darrinbaker00
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Tomorrow, I'm going to be "well versed, and enlightened."
No, you won't.

Lemonskin.
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:07 PM
From all the arguments I've seen, we can gather this:

Who's more famous?

In America: Serena
Everywhere Else: Anna.

It really is that simple.

Volcana
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:10 PM
'Bigger celebrity' requires answering the question 'what is celebrity'? I rather doubt there's an objective measure of that.

If you're asking who's making more money in endorsements right now, it's probably Serena.

If you're asking who's likelier to sho up in a guest spot in a TV show or movie, it's probably Serena.

But if you're asking who more famous simply for being famous, the answer is obviously Kournikova. We have no period of lack of accocplishment to measure anything by where Serena's concerned. Her recent failures have been failures of accomplishment. You play as many matches to lose the Wimbledon final as to win it. Serena will always be one of only four women to win all four slams in a row.

Subjectively, I'd answer this question 'Serena' but only because I hear her name more in non-tennis, non-entertainment media. I occasionaly hear Serena's name onthe list of people attending some politician's party. I never hear Anna's name. Obviously we hear Serena's name more in any athletic context.

Does anybody know what their respective Q-ratings are? (And if it appears earlier inthe thread, I apologize. I tried to read the whole thread, but the answers grew acrimonious.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:12 PM
From all the arguments I've seen, we can gather this:

Who's more famous?

In America: Serena
Everywhere Else: Anna.

It really is that simple.
This is ultimately the final verdict here. Everyone needs to just understand that and move on.

I'm laughing at the fact that this thread is still rocking since yesterday. :lol: I promise myself I won't post in here again, no matter what. But what lemonskin said is spot on, and nothing anybody says will change that. It's just the truth.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Serena just hosted a show last week. I do not hear anything about Anna I like I am always hearing about Serena. Serena also, were in several TV shows and she will be in another one on UPN coming up soon where' s anna.

Anna's on vacation. She and Enrique are escaping the limelight, probably lying on a sunny Mexican beach (Los Cabos, Alcapulco, Cozumel, who knows?) I'm sure right now, Enrique's singing to her..... "I can be your hero baby, .."

Jaime Bahena
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:16 PM
No, you won't.
Maybe not, but you're still gonna be ugly. Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly [as is the case with you] goes clear to the bone.

Volcana
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:21 PM
This is ultimately the final verdict here. Everyone needs to just understand that and move on.I have to ask, why should we belive that? Why, in fact, should we believe EITHER of them are well known in Nepal or Burundi? And wouldn't whichever one of them is more famous in China pretty much be more famous worldwide?

And I ask again, does anybody have Q-ratings, or the equivalent for their region of the world? There IS a certain amount of actual analysis of this question out there.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I have to ask, why should we belive that? Why, in fact, should we believe EITHER of them are well known in Nepal or Burundi? And wouldn't whichever one of them is more famous in China pretty much be more famous worldwide?

And I ask again, does anybody have Q-ratings, or the equivalent for their region of the world? There IS a certain amount of actual analysis of this question out there.
Nepal or Burundi? Let's get real here, Volcana. In Europe, Kournikova is a far bigger star, I mean colossally bigger, I don't even see the point in an argument.

Just ask all the Euro posters here, even the Serena fans in Europe, they'll all tell you the same thing. And how the hell do you find a person's Q-Rating anyway?

icequeen
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:25 PM

How the hell did people get those pictures on those two in such a private moment. This really rediculous and an invasion of their privatecy.

Lemonskin.
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Nepal or Burundi? Let's get real here, Volcana. In Europe, Kournikova is a far bigger star, I mean colossally bigger, I don't even see the point in an argument.

Just ask all the Euro posters here, even the Serena fans in Europe, they'll all tell you the same thing. And how the hell do you find a person's Q-Rating anyway?
Exactly.

It's not that difficult to comprehend...

The Americans like the American more and the Eurpoeans like the European more.

Lemonskin.
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:29 PM

:rolleyes: So what? All this proves is that they love each other. It's not like 99% of the rest of the world aren't doing this too.

Volcana
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Nepal or Burundi? Let's get real here, Volcana. In Europe, Kournikova is a far bigger star, I mean colossally bigger, I don't even see the point in an argument.I'm not arguing. I asking. Seems to me that 90% of the answers are 'which player do I like more?' Not even, which player woould you recognize if you passed them onthe street?'

And how the hell do you find a person's Q-Rating anyway?Buy it from Marketing Evaluations or save the page when it gets published, which it does every year. I'm pretty sure it's just the USA though. The EU mush have something similiar thought. It fulfills a useful function for the entertainment business.

I kow I've seen it online, becasue I remember being surprised at how few tennis players were in the top 100.

icequeen
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:42 PM
:rolleyes: So what? All this proves is that they love each other. It's not like 99% of the rest of the world aren't doing this too.

How does that prove that they love each other?

Lemonskin.
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:47 PM
How does that prove that they love each other?
;) OK then they're LOVING each other :p

The only reason people care about it is because they're celebs, which is silly in its own right. If Bob and Mary from down the road were doing that, no-one's gonna snap some pics and try to sell them.

faboozadoo15
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:58 AM
i remember q scores from a few years agao... but does that even really matter? they were in tennis magazine.
anna was number one, venus 2, serena 3, monica 4, martina 5, jennifer 6.
and there were men mixed in there too, but pete was behind anna and the williams sisters, and andre was behind monica (thought that was a bit shocking.)
the thing is, it wasn't a whole article and i've tried to find the graphic, but i just can't. it was on that page that also has numerical stats like

1825 number of balls used to date on the wta tour
0 number of titles kournikova has won in singles
---- -------

Mrs. Peel
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Serena is by far the bigger Celeb. She has eclipsed Anna in stardom. Serena is invited everywhere...I only see Anna crawling all over Enrique these days and playing exhibitions.

faboozadoo15
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:06 AM
o btw, the q-ratings were in 2 columns. one was "of tennis fans, this player is named as one of their favorites." the other was general public recognition.

Brandon85
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:39 AM
anna kournikove is MUCH more famous...much more beautiful...

dreamgoddess099
Dec 11th, 2004, 06:24 AM
There is a reason Serena's the highest paid female athlete ever and not Anna. Being popular with the opposite sex is easy, it's the ability to gain the respect and interest of your own heterosexual sex that's a lot more telling. Serena's a bigger celebrity in more demographics, but Anna has a ton of male fans. Basically, Anna's more popular with the opposite sex, but Serena's more popular with both sexes so that makes her a bigger celebrity. For instance, because Serena's so accomplished, she garners more respect and popularity from females and males alike, where as Anna is just mostly popular amongst males. Serena can do shows and mags with more female oriented fans like Oprah, The View, Vogue mag, Elle mag, ect. as well as shows with more male oriented fans like TBDSSP, SI mag, ect. Anna mainly sticks to shows and mags that cater mostly to a male fan base. As a result, her lack of female fans to boot makes her much less popular generally than Serena.

go hingis
Dec 11th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Anna wins hands down, I never stop talking about tennis and everyone knows who Anna is and what she's been up to without me saying a word. I've met many people who don't know who Serena is, some know the Williams sisters but If I first say Serena Williams there like who, you know the Williams sisters, Oh Yeah they reply. Maybe the media are to blame for always going on about the sisters and not giving each sister her credit alone when it's due to her for her great achievments.

Daniel
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Anna :D

Jeff
Dec 11th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Well, let's face it, both women are set for life money wise. Neither can walk down to a local Wal-Mart or grocery store without being bombarded for autographs or phone number donations. Both have thousands of men drooling over them online. At this point it doesn't matter who is the most popular.

Petersmiler
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
5 pages on this!?!

Well may as well add my two pennies!

I think if you'd asked this question two years ago, the answer would have been simple....Anna by far. Now though, I would say Serena is catching up. Both are occasionally in the British press. (although I do have to say that last year, when their sister was murdered, there was a picture of Venus with the caption 'Serena Williams in mourning'!)

Unless Anna returns to the courts and has some success, Serena will eclipse her. And I have to say, rightly so.

What I don't understand in this thread is why some of the more vocal Serena fans care so much? I can understand the Anna fans, I mean if she's not the biggest celebrity, what is she? (Sorry guys, harsh but true!) However, Serena is going down as one of the greats, and isn't that what you liked her for in the first place?

Experimentee
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Both of them have star power but for different reasons. Most people who arent tennis fans have heard of both. You cant say one has more than the other because it is different categories, sex sells more than sporting ability, so Anna K would be in magazines more, but that doesnt mean that people don't know who Serena is because they definitely do.

SerialKiller#69
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I think the question really should be, who is more popular: williams sisters or anna kournikova?

bandabou
Dec 11th, 2004, 09:04 PM
5 pages on this!?!

Well may as well add my two pennies!

I think if you'd asked this question two years ago, the answer would have been simple....Anna by far. Now though, I would say Serena is catching up. Both are occasionally in the British press. (although I do have to say that last year, when their sister was murdered, there was a picture of Venus with the caption 'Serena Williams in mourning'!)

Unless Anna returns to the courts and has some success, Serena will eclipse her. And I have to say, rightly so.

What I don't understand in this thread is why some of the more vocal Serena fans care so much? I can understand the Anna fans, I mean if she's not the biggest celebrity, what is she? (Sorry guys, harsh but true!) However, Serena is going down as one of the greats, and isn't that what you liked her for in the first place?

Brilliant post!! :worship:

icequeen
Dec 11th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Anna wins hands down, I never stop talking about tennis and everyone knows who Anna is and what she's been up to without me saying a word. I've met many people who don't know who Serena is, some know the Williams sisters but If I first say Serena Williams there like who, you know the Williams sisters, Oh Yeah they reply. Maybe the media are to blame for always going on about the sisters and not giving each sister her credit alone when it's due to her for her great achievments.

My 3 5yr old cousins know who Serena is but I can tell you they do not know who Anna is. Even my girlfriend's kids who are 7 and 10 knows the sisters but not Anna. BTW what is anna up to these days? Does she have a job, I mean what is she doing...and I am really serious about that question.

AK-DH Fan
Dec 11th, 2004, 10:51 PM
My 3 5yr old cousins know who Serena is but I can tell you they do not know who Anna is. Even my girlfriend's kids who are 7 and 10 knows the sisters but not Anna. BTW what is anna up to these days? Does she have a job, I mean what is she doing...and I am really serious about that question.

go to http://www.akforever.de/index_21.htmlx & look at the news.

icequeen
Dec 11th, 2004, 11:00 PM
go to http://www.akforever.de/index_21.htmlx & look at the news.

Sorry, but I don't see anything on that site where she is doing anything of interest that jumps out at me.

alias
Dec 11th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Anna was the bigger celebrity, now it's Serena. But soon it will be Maria Sharapova.

Her new deals with Motorola and Canon and Parlux Fragrances -- which will debut her perfume next fall -- combined with previously structured contracts with Nike, Prince and Speedminton, likely make her the highest-earning female athlete in the world. All told, Sharapova figures to earn at least $15 million in marketing next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1944106

AK-DH Fan
Dec 11th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Sorry, but I don't see anything on that site where she is doing anything of interest that jumps out at me.

Well, u wondered what she's doing now and there it is.

Right now she's playing exhibitions, she's also started her own company called AK7

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 11th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Why is this argument still going on? I think it should end NOW. No side will ever change their views anyway.

bandabou
Dec 11th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Anna was the bigger celebrity, now it's Serena. But soon it will be Maria Sharapova.

Her new deals with Motorola and Canon and Parlux Fragrances -- which will debut her perfume next fall -- combined with previously structured contracts with Nike, Prince and Speedminton, likely make her the highest-earning female athlete in the world. All told, Sharapova figures to earn at least $15 million in marketing next year.

Of course...Maria is the perfect combination for the wta: BLONDE AND she wins tournaments...perfect.

Who cares that she plays "bad for the game" power tennis?

icequeen
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:11 AM

Right now she's playing exhibitions, she's also started her own company called AK7

What is her company's product?

icequeen
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:12 AM

That's good that she's doing that. What is her company's product?

icequeen
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Of course...Maria is the perfect combination for the wta: BLONDE AND she wins tournaments...perfect.

Who cares that she plays "bad for the game" power tennis?

Come on Bandabou you know that that only applies to the sister.

AK-DH Fan
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:19 AM
That's good that she's doing that. What is her company's product?

Here's 2 articles, to give u more info:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041006/law077_1.html
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2004/10/04/daily31.html

I luv the name of it, AK7

bandabou
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Come on Bandabou you know that that only applies to the sister.

Yep....and that´s why I´m pointing it out.

icequeen
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Here's 2 articles, to give u more info:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041006/law077_1.html
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2004/10/04/daily31.html

I luv the name of it, AK7

From what I gather from that article it seems as though she is looking for product to market...no. Correct me if I am wrong.

dreamgoddess099
Dec 12th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Of course Serena is bigger. Bigger arms, bigger legs, bigger butt, bigger boobs, bigger bank account, bigger IQ..... ;)
:haha: You forgot bigger trophy case and bigger chance of making the tennis hall of fame. Anyway, according to Forbes.com, the only area where Anna trumps Serena is on the web. On the Forbes power 100 list which measures the top 100 most powerful celebrities, Serena out ranks Anna 63 to 82. Pay rank: Serena 78, Anna 87, web rank: Serena 46, Anna 22, press rank: Serena 21, Anna 66, TV rank: Serena 25, Anna 63. Actually Paris Hilton and Hillary Duff are both higher on the list than Anna, but not Serena. Some of you are seriously underestimating certain peoples celebrity status and over estimating others.

This is how Forbes gets it's estimates:
Estimates compiled by Forbes; published sources include Billboard, Pollstar, Adams Media Research, Publishers Weekly and Nielsen SoundScan. Celebrity rankings generated by combining earnings with other media metrics: Web mentions on Google; press clips compiled by LexisNexis; TV/radio mentions compiled by Factiva; and how many times a celebrity’s face appeared on the cover of any of 16 major consumer magazines.
Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/maserati/celebrities2004/tv_rank.html?passListId=53&passYear=2004&passListType=Person&searchParameter1=&searchParameter2=&resultsStart=1&resultsHowMany=25&resultsSortProperties=%252Bnumberfield7%252C%252Bs tringfield2&resultsSortCategoryName=tv_rank&passKeyword=&category1=&category2=)

vogus
Dec 12th, 2004, 05:09 AM
:haha: You forgot bigger trophy case and bigger chance of making the tennis hall of fame. Anyway, according to Forbes.com, the only area where Anna trumps Serena is on the web. On the Forbes power 100 list which measures the top 100 most powerful celebrities, Serena out ranks Anna 63 to 82. Pay rank: Serena 78, Anna 87, web rank: Serena 46, Anna 22, press rank: Serena 21, Anna 66, TV rank: Serena 25, Anna 63. Actually Paris Hilton and Hillary Duff are both higher on the list than Anna, but not Serena. Some of you are seriously underestimating certain peoples celebrity status and over estimating others.

Estimates compiled by Forbes; published sources include Billboard, Pollstar, Adams Media Research, Publishers Weekly and Nielsen SoundScan. Celebrity rankings generated by combining earnings with other media metrics: Web mentions on Google; press clips compiled by LexisNexis; TV/radio mentions compiled by Factiva; and how many times a celebrity’s face appeared on the cover of any of 16 major consumer magazines.
Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/maserati/celebrities2004/tv_rank.html?passListId=53&passYear=2004&passListType=Person&searchParameter1=&searchParameter2=&resultsStart=1&resultsHowMany=25&resultsSortProperties=%252Bnumberfield7%252C%252Bs tringfield2&resultsSortCategoryName=tv_rank&passKeyword=&category1=&category2=)
thanks for those hard numbers, the Forbes list is as good an objective measure as any...

icequeen
Dec 12th, 2004, 05:20 AM
thanks for those hard numbers, the Forbes list is as good an objective measure as any...

I guess we can close this thread down now since the question has been answered. Serena the winner hands down.

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM
You're right, I'm an idiot. But at least I'm not ugly. Tomorrow, I'm going to be "well versed, and enlightened." Guess what? You're gonna ugly for the rest of your life.
I doubt you'll be any more well versed or enlightened by tomorrow. Guess what...once an idiot, always an idiot.:lol:

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM
No, you didn't. You would need to ask 1000 people. I'm sure you have better things to do, but one case doesn't prove anything.
Excuse me, but are you psychic? I don't think, in fact, I know you don't know whether I did or not. But, for your information I did. You didn't say ask 1000 people, you said, "But ask Joe on the street, he won't be able to tell which one is Serena.", which is exactly what I did, and you were wrong. Live with it. :lol:

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Maybe you should read the thread before replying? Someone posted EXACTLY the same thing as you did, and I answered, so that makes your post pretty much useless.
What are you the thread police? I post as I read. I can't help it if someone else asked you the same question. My question may be moot at this point, but it's not useless, seeing as how two other people besides myself asked you the same question. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:42 AM
'Bigger celebrity' requires answering the question 'what is celebrity'? I rather doubt there's an objective measure of that.

If you're asking who's making more money in endorsements right now, it's probably Serena.

If you're asking who's likelier to sho up in a guest spot in a TV show or movie, it's probably Serena.

But if you're asking who more famous simply for being famous, the answer is obviously Kournikova. We have no period of lack of accocplishment to measure anything by where Serena's concerned. Her recent failures have been failures of accomplishment. You play as many matches to lose the Wimbledon final as to win it. Serena will always be one of only four women to win all four slams in a row.

Subjectively, I'd answer this question 'Serena' but only because I hear her name more in non-tennis, non-entertainment media. I occasionaly hear Serena's name onthe list of people attending some politician's party. I never hear Anna's name. Obviously we hear Serena's name more in any athletic context.

Does anybody know what their respective Q-ratings are? (And if it appears earlier inthe thread, I apologize. I tried to read the whole thread, but the answers grew acrimonious.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Maybe not, but you're still gonna be ugly. Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly [as is the case with you] goes clear to the bone.
You're 13, aren't you? I am rubber, you are glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you! :lol:

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM
- combined with previously structured contracts with Nike, Prince and Speedminton, likely make her the highest-earning female athlete in the world. All told, Sharapova figures to earn at least $15 million in marketing next year.[/i]

Meanwhile, Serena still has a $60M contract with Nike. That's not counting her other endorsements. :p

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Well, I guess that settles it. :)

Cuckoo
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Everybody know who the Williams sisters are, but I'm sure a lot of people can't tell which one is Serena and which one is Venus. As an "individual", Serena is still miles behind Anna.

Yeah, true, thats like that with alot of people, I overhear alot people goes, ohh are those two williams Sisters...those Williams Sisters play Tennis don't they.....etc However they forget the names or can't deceipher between the two.

Captain.Canada
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Love Serena. Like Anna.
Anna is the bigger celebrity.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 13th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Forbes is a United States based magazine, and all those numbers they compile are based on things in the United States, hence Serena having the advantage. We've gone over the whole U.S. and Europe thing, and I don't want to have to go over it again.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:44 PM
I doubt you'll be any more well versed or enlightened by tomorrow. Guess what...once an idiot, always an idiot.:lol:

You know the feeling, right?

Jaime Bahena
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:46 PM
You're 13, aren't you? I am rubber, you are glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you! :lol:

You must be older than me, at least 13 and a half, to be able to come with a zinger like that "I'm rubber, you're glue....."

Jaime Bahena
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Love Serena. Like Anna.
Anna is the bigger celebrity.

Why can't be love them both?

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:41 PM
You know the feeling, right?
No, not really. I ain't feelin ya. :p

Denise4925
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:44 PM
You must be older than me, at least 13 and a half, to be able to come with a zinger like that "I'm rubber, you're glue....."
Just goes to show how young you are. You can't tell the difference between sarcasm and sincerity. :lol: Poor booboo.

Serena+LenaDrule
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:46 PM

who is Joe :confused:

tennischick
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:54 AM
"the flap over Serena's fake interview got me thinking."

What fake interview? Can someone enlighten me? I've missed something.and over on MTF you claim to be a journalist :confused: :confused:

dreamgoddess099
Dec 14th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Forbes is a United States based magazine, and all those numbers they compile are based on things in the United States, hence Serena having the advantage. We've gone over the whole U.S. and Europe thing, and I don't want to have to go over it again.
Sorry to disappoint, but Forbes compiles results from USA, Europe, and Asia. :p Actually, from 2003 to 2004, Kim and Justine had higher press ratings than any other tennis players (mostly because the Williams only played half the season and weren't in the public eye as much.)

Stamp Paid
Dec 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM
So is that why Serena Williams has a higher Q rating than Anna Kournikova, has more money in endorsements, and is rated as girls' favorite female athlete?

Anna kournikova is popular only to adolescent and post adolescent non-minority males.