PDA

View Full Version : Kim still hopeful of Australian Open

-cata-
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Clijsters still hopeful of Australian Open

BRUSSELS (AFP) - Kim Clijsters was still hopeful of playing in next month's Australian Open despite reports she would not be fit.

Tournament chief executive Paul McNamee said in Melbourne that last year's runner-up had ecided not to contest the year's first Grand Slam after her wrist failed to respond to treatment.

But her spokesman said in Brussels she had simply delayed submitting her entry.

"The doctors are assessing her injury on a weekly basis and if there is no risk she could play. But if there's the least risk she will stay away," he added.

Clijsters' absence from the Australian Open would be another setback for the Belgian's attempt to come back from the injury to her left wrist, which has forced her to take long layoffs this year and seen her world ranking plummet to 22.

Clijsters broke off her engagement with Australian tennis star Lleyton Hewitt this year and the Melbourne tournament would have been the first event featuring the pair since the split, ensuring intense media scrutiny.

The Australian Open begins on January 17.

Rocketta
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
sorry to bust your bubble but.......

Clijsters withdraws from Australian Open
December 9, 2004

MELBOURNE, Australia (Ticker) - Kim Clijsters (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/49/)' chronic wrist injury has saved both herself and former lover Lleyton Hewitt (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/15/) any embarrassing moments at next month's Australian Open.

After consultation with doctors and physiotherapists, Clijsters has joined former Australian Jelena Dokic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/100/) in bypassing the championship, which begins January 17.

Clijsters and Hewitt called off their engagement in October.

"Kim's wrist obviously isn't going to be rehabilitated in time for the the first grand slam of the new season," McNamee told an Australian newspaper. "We wish her all the best at what must be a difficult time and hope to see her fit and back playing on the tour again in 2005."

Clijsters had hinted she would not venture to Australia.

"My wrist still calls for a lot of attention and care, and I can use my time to spend it well," she said. "My wrist still is a crucial part of my everyday life - loads of physio and recovery exercises."

Clijsters was able to compete in only one major this year - the Australian Open, where she reached the final. Her season has been ruined by the wrist injury, restricting her to just 22 matches - 20 of which were wins.

Dokic has not played the Australian Open since 2001, when she lost in the first round after her father, Damir, accused officials of rigging the draw. She renounced her Australian citizenship soon after. Dokic would have required a wildcard for the 2005 championships because her ranking has crumbled from 15th at the end of last season to 127th. Aside from Brazil's triple French Open winner Gustavo Kuerten (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/10/) (hip operation), most leading players will travel to Melbourne Park.

Hagar
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Euh... whose bubble is bursting here. Don't believe the rumours. Check out Kim's site. She has not decided whether she plays Australia or not.

Grohl
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:45 PM
right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim hasn't cancelled the AO, she delayed her comeback, but if her wrist heals before the AO she'll be getting a WC,
Kim don't come back too soon, just come back

Rocketta
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM
why would she withdraw to just then take a wild card away from a player who couldn't possible get into the field? Just wondering why she would withdraw this early?

Allez-H
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM
why would she withdraw to just then take a wild card away from a player who couldn't possible get into the field? Just wondering why she would withdraw this early?
Well,she didn't withdraw officialy yet,she just doesn't want to already sign in in beofre the deadline cuz off her still improbable wrist.You might say,why not sign in and if the wrist doesn't hold just withdraw then..But then she might be giving false hope to her fans (I'm still quite sure she's loved in Australia) :shrug:

Hagar
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Why do you say "Just wondering why she would withdraw this early?"?????

She is not withdrawing. She just has not confirmed her entry.

Hagar
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Anyway, the thought that Kim could actually play Australia, makes me heart pound like a drum. :hearts:
The thought of seeing her on whatever tennis court makes me happy. :D

I had for myself accepted that she would not be there but thinking that she might be there after all makes me :bounce: .

tennnisfannn
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:18 AM
I pray that she will have a venus like recovery of 2000. Venus was out for six months with wrist tendonitis and got back and began to win majors. I have really missed Kim. Do doctors or players down play injuries, coz when she first withdrew with injury, it seemed she would be out for a little while only.

Rub
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:35 AM
i hope she can make it!

SzavayFi
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:40 AM
i hope kimmie makes it!

tennischick
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Kim doesnt have the guts to show up in Australia IMO. not after the classless way she broke up with one of its favorite sons.

sabandborg
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Kim doesnt have the guts to show up in Australia IMO. not after the classless way she broke up with one of its favorite sons.

Thats some cold cold feces.

Kims guts might be debatable in championship situations, but the player that turned up everywhere playing everything deserves truthful evaluation.

Hell, it isn't like Justine's excuses. She's a proven liar, any rational fan questioning whatever about her is understandable.

tennischick
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Thats some cold cold feces.

Kims guts might be debatable in championship situations, but the player that turned up everywhere playing everything deserves truthful evaluation.

Hell, it isn't like Justine's excuses. She's a proven liar, any rational fan questioning whatever about her is understandable.in a few short weeks we'll see which one of us is talking shit. :wavey:

sabandborg
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Even IF Kimmy doesn't turn up for Oz ... you'll still be the one talking that stuff.

tennischick
Dec 10th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Even IF Kimmy doesn't turn up for Oz ... you'll still be the one talking that stuff.if she shows up i will be the first to acknowledge that she has more guts than i thought. now do piss off and end this stupid convo :wavey: :wavey:

sabandborg
Dec 10th, 2004, 04:02 AM
if she shows up i will be the first to acknowledge that she has more guts than i thought. now do piss off and end this stupid convo :wavey: :wavey:

LOL! "Pissing off" as requested.

This place is like kindergarden. I feel so at home.

Grohl
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:25 PM
kim isn't stealing the WC from anyone, she has a right to get one, because she played final last year