PDA

View Full Version : Plischke and Basting ?

GoDominiqu
Mar 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
I just went through some challenger results and recognised these 2 players. Both have lost badly in the first round this week at small challengers and I wonder what has happened.

Silvia Plischke was a FO quarterfinalist, after all - I think in 1999.
And I saw Yvette Basting in Wimbledon 2000 - at least she reached the 2nd round.

I assume injuries are the cause for that. Does anyone know exactly ?

rated_next
Mar 21st, 2002, 02:42 PM
Basting was injured all last year ... she has just come back on the tour. She will hopefully be back in good shape soon.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Sylvia is playing so bad.

tim4
Mar 21st, 2002, 10:14 PM
I saw Sylvia Plischke playing in a $25k event in England about a month ago. She seemed to be enjoying herself and having fun. But yes, her ranking has gone from 27 in 1999 down to below 150 now. This week she's in California in another $25k event. Let's hope she can build her career back together after injury.

DutchieGirl
Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by rated_next
Basting was injured all last year ... she has just come back on the tour. She will hopefully be back in good shape soon.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Sylvia is playing so bad.

Yeah, Basting hadn't played for ages... and her ranking's dropped down to the 1000's. :(

GoDominiqu
Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks ! :) Still wondering what happened to Silvia.

Xian-Austriaco
Mar 25th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Sylvia hasnt too much ambitions to play anymore, she sayd that this will be her last year and she will retire after the US Open

thats really a pitty cause she had career wins over
Patty Schnyder
Irina Spirlea
Jana Novotna
Ai Sugiyama
Arantxa Sanchez (twice)
Amanda Cötzer
Anke Huber
Anna Kournikova
Barbara Schett
Magdalena Maleeva
Alex Stevenson
Elena LIkhovtseva
Iva Majoli

between 1999 and 2001
this year she played only 5 Challenger tournier
in Courmayeur (QF) Ortisei (1R) Redbridge (2R) Sutton (QF) and La Canada (1R)
:( :confused:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2002, 04:34 PM
I guessed it was like that..... once you drop into challengers , motivation can be hard to find

rated_next
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:04 PM
TBE: so true ... i'm sure that maria antonia, anne-gaelle, amanda hopmans and former top 100 players are struggling with movivation right now as well ... it is tough going back to challengers again

bluepastures
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:14 PM
In the same tournaments that Tim is talking about I also saw Plischke play. While she was hitting the ball well enough, she really did seem very slow around the court compared with most of the other players.

Alek
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Yvette just qualified for the $10,000 Amiens Main Draw :D!

DutchieGirl
Mar 26th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by rated_next
TBE: so true ... i'm sure that maria antonia, anne-gaelle, amanda hopmans and former top 100 players are struggling with movivation right now as well ... it is tough going back to challengers again

Poor Hoppy! :(

I still can't believe how much Sidot has dropped!

DutchieGirl
Mar 26th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Alx
Yvette just qualified for the $10,000 Amiens Main Draw :D!

Yeah I saw that! It's great because she needs match practise. Although I saw she was entered into Dubai 75k on a protected injury ranking... (I think it was Dubai anyway).

Vanity
Mar 27th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Well, Maria Antonia won a challenger last week, so I think she is headed in the right direction!!! :D

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 27th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Sidot has the potential to be a top 20 player. I know potential means very little on tour with all the depth, but why is she falling down the ranks so far? Even before injuries and such, she was losing to players she had no business losing to.

DutchieGirl
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Bradshaw#1
Sidot has the potential to be a top 20 player. I know potential means very little on tour with all the depth, but why is she falling down the ranks so far? Even before injuries and such, she was losing to players she had no business losing to.

I think we're all wondering that... maybe Mrs. Stevenson put a curse on her or something? ;) It seemed to happen after all that business about the racist comments or whatever... pff!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Anne-Gaelle seemed care free to me last summer. She looked to be over Arnaud Clement, she seemed very cosy with her new bf.

I hope she can get back into top 100 (such a joy to watch) but i doubt she will work hard enough to get back :sad: :mad:

GoDominiqu
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Anne-Gaelle ... :sad:

Well, I could call myself lucky that I have seen her last great match live - beating Anna K. 6-3 6-4 at Wimbledon 2000 2nd round ... great performance !

But after that ... :sad:

I hope she will find motivation again.

ace7
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:31 AM
you guys are talking about Plischke and other top players not doing well in these challengers, but these tournaments the players play better here than they do when they get in the qualies of the bigger tournaments. And as for bradshaw, I heard someone talking about she should be beating all of these players. First of all she has to try and second all she has is a serve and pretty hard groundstrokes but is as slow as a turtle and is very inconsistent. The players have figured her out, everyone does decent when they first get on tour then players figure out how to beat them the more they watch....