PDA

View Full Version : Why no Molik on 2005 gold exempt list??

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
2005 Gold Exempt List
(Players in each group are listed alphabetically)

Group 1-3
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Maria Sharapova
Serena Williams

Group 4-6*
Jennifer Capriati
Lindsay Davenport
Amelie Mauresmo

Group - 7-10
Elena Dementieva
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Anastasia Myskina
Venus Williams

Group - 11-13
Daniela Hantuchova (WC)
Nadia Petrova
Mary Pierce (WC)

Group - 14-20
Elena Bovina
Tatiana Golovin (WC)
Patty Schnyder
Karolina Sprem (WC)
Paola Suarez
Ai Sugiyama
Vera Zvonareva
Gold Exempt Emeritus: Monica Seles
*The number 4 player may be different on a regional basis, USA, Europe, Rest of the World.
Lindsay Davenport is #4 in the USA and Rest of the World regions.
Amelie Mauresmo is #4 in the European region.
(WC) = Wild Card

why no alicia?? :eek: :bigcry:

Chunchun
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:26 AM
i still don't know what does the gold exempt list mean :lol:

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:29 AM
i dont really either :p but whatever it is i think alicia deserves to be on it!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Really nice to see that K-Lina Šprem has made it!

^bibi^
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:54 AM
what does this mean ????????

sartrista7
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Molik wasn't top 16 after the US Open, which was when the list was made.

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM
oh :sad: but she still deserved a wc way more than the other 4 :rolleyes: does it really matter anyway?

sartrista7
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Can't remember exactly what GE players get, I think a certain number of wild cards, which makes planning their schedules a lot easier, and big bonus money if they fulfil certain responsibilities. It's a list based on marketability, so I'm not sure how Molik deserves it ahead of Sprem, Golovin and Pierce. Hantuchova is probably more popular worldwide too, even if she is rubbish these days.

TFan1156
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:26 AM
oh :sad: but she still deserved a wc way more than the other 4 :rolleyes: does it really matter anyway?

Unfortunately, it is not all about their performance on the court. Is about who the tournament officials want playing, so sometimes lowered ranked players get wild cards. Too bad for Alicia. She had a very good year and is quite a lady as well. Though she is pretty, might be different if she were prettier and wore some revealing outfits...

Alicia Rocks
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:48 AM
she wears the same as zvonareva??????????

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately, it is not all about their performance on the court. Is about who the tournament officials want playing, so sometimes lowered ranked players get wild cards. Too bad for Alicia. She had a very good year and is quite a lady as well. Though she is pretty, might be different if she were prettier and wore some revealing outfits... she wears the same as zvonareva?????????? :lol:

arn
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM
where is Kim?

vutt
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM
And what about Gold Exempt Emeritus?!?
One who did not hit a single ball during 2004 will still receive money from the pool next year :confused:

Doc
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Molik should be on it. I suppose the trouble is that her best successes came at the end of the year. But since its a marketability list, she wouldn't be very high - yet.

mr_burns
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I don't understand why kim is missing..she belongs to the second group...especially if the list is made after the us open

AjdeNate!
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Ajmo K-Lina!

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Makes no sense without Kim...:confused:

WorldWar24
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Kim is not there coz she didn't want to. GE listed players have obligations, and when players don't meet them they pay fees, which can cost them more $ than the extra $ they get from making this list

Helen Lawson
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:14 PM
When you win a Best Actress Oscar like me, you're Gold Exempt for life in Hollywood.

Saved!
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:54 PM
what are they exempt from?

manu32
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
i don't understand why kim is not on gold list.....

Hurley
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:55 PM
i don't understand why kim is not on gold list.....

I don't understand why you went blind when you glimpsed what someone wrote three posts before yours.

As for Molik, she'll be there next year unless her form drops severely, since after USO 2005 she'll still have all those points from her 2004 indoor performances holding up her ranking.

Life evens out.

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM
And what about Gold Exempt Emeritus?!?
One who did not hit a single ball during 2004 will still receive money from the pool next year :confused:

I agree with that statment completely. She isn't coming back in 2005, also :rolleyes:

Martian KC
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Glad to see Mary Pierce still getting a wildcard on the list!!

clonesheep
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:21 PM
i still don't know what does the gold exempt list mean :lol:
The GE list was compiled by the big people at WTA and tour organizers to determine the priority of entry/seeding for tournemantes in the upcoming year. I don't remember the detail but being on the list has the following benefit:

(1) A player on the GE list has a guaranteed direct entry to WTA tour tournaments and GS, regardless of player's ranking. As an example, Daniela got direct entry at 2004 Kremlin Cup but several players ranked higher than her had to qualify, because Dani has GE status.

(2) Players on the list will also share a pool of bonus money at the end of the year, if they fullfil their duty of minimum appearances (see below).

The GE players have the duty of appearing in a minum numbers of tournaments. For example, those listed 1-3, or maybe 1-6, have to play at least 4 or 5 tier I, or something like that. If they failed to play the required number of tournies, they may not be eligible to share the bonus money and may even get fined. For example, Justine was fined $125,000 for skipping YEC.

ktwtennis
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:31 AM
This list is about marketability, not merit on court...

Chet
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:42 AM
I agree with that statment completely. She isn't coming back in 2005, also :rolleyes:
If I'm not wrong, there are very stringent criteria to be satisfied before you are conferred the Gold Exempt Emeritus status. Monica is one of the few who actually do qualify based on those criteria. Perhaps someone else would like to enlighten us on what criteria these might be.

Doggy
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM
OMG Hanty made it just like she deserves too....I guess there is some justice behind the WTA

faboozadoo15
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:49 AM
If I'm not wrong, there are very stringent criteria to be satisfied before you are conferred the Gold Exempt Emeritus status. Monica is one of the few who actually do qualify based on those criteria. Perhaps someone else would like to enlighten us on what criteria these might be.
it had to do with several slams, competing on tour for 10+ years and the #1 ranking... basically, they just made it for monica (actual numbers would be appreciated, i remember it being stated, but i don't know exact numbers). i don't think she's eligible for bonus pool money unless she plays, so she's not stealing anyone's wildcards or bonus money. they basically just did this to keep to door open to monica in case she wanted to return.

Daniel
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
how come Sharapova is in a better group than Nastya? :eek:

Jarrett
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:45 AM
it had to do with several slams, competing on tour for 10+ years and the #1 ranking... basically, they just made it for monica (actual numbers would be appreciated, i remember it being stated, but i don't know exact numbers). i don't think she's eligible for bonus pool money unless she plays, so she's not stealing anyone's wildcards or bonus money. they basically just did this to keep to door open to monica in case she wanted to return.
Hopefully Monica can take it. :hearts: :hearts:

Doraemon
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:49 AM
So now there have been two reasons provided so far.
1. the list was made right after the U.S. Open when she still had yet to win Zurich.
2. She ain't popular enough to sell tickets for the tournaments.

Buitenzorg
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I don't get it :o

ktwtennis
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:40 AM
how come Sharapova is in a better group than Nastya? :eek:Read my comment above--it's about marketability, NOT merit...

Teemu
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Bah...Masha won the biggest GS plus the YEC to top it off...at 17 might I add :D . Myskina did great too but her accomplishmets pale next to Maria's.

Daniel
Dec 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM
thanks ktwtennis :)

Crazy Canuck
Dec 11th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Myskina did great too but her accomplishmets pale next to Maria's.

Er. No. They don't. :retard:

But this list isn't based on accomplishments, so meh.

CJ07
Dec 11th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Venus in group 3? :o :shrug:

PointBlank
Dec 11th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Alicia has had a better year than Paola,Daniela,Ai,and Patty. No reason she should not be on there.

crazillo
Dec 11th, 2004, 05:46 PM
It is because the ranking after the USOPEN isu sed for that. ;) Alicia was not that high until her great indoor results.

I think Golovin should go away and other players such as Martinez, Maleeva, Dokic or Molik should be on it.

Teemu
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Er. No. They don't. :retard:

But this list isn't based on accomplishments, so meh.

Mmm, maybe I am a bit too excited about Maria's breakthrough year and sometimes forget other ppl deserve credit too. If so, I apologize, and thanks for the retard face btw. I would also like to compliment you on the army of Commie-dots you launched at me, makes my rep bar look all Christmassy.

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:49 AM
could someone explain the gold exempt list? do they have special priviledges or something like that?

Tennis_Lover
Dec 14th, 2004, 12:17 AM
How come Serena is so high on the list with the grand slam winners?
And the 3 players between 4 to 6 won nothing this year either, and who says slams are overrated?