PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary thoughts on Aus Open seeds

Volcana
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:02 AM
AusOpen '05 - Top 16 seeds

-wk1 = minus week one points
-wk2 = minus week two points

Seeds are, I believe, initially based on the rankings the week before OZ. I THINK that means Sydney '04 points off, but I'll not sure. It isn't relevant in most cases.rk -wk1 (-wk2)
-- ---- ------ - -------------------------
01 4760 (4594) - Lindsay Davenport
02 4546 (4320) - Amelie Mauresmo
03 4012 (3933) - Anastasia Myskina
04 3536 (3536) - Maria Sharapova
05 3458 (3458) - Svetlana Kuznetsova
06 3448 (3372) - Elena Dementieva
07 3128 (3128) - Serena Williams
08 2884 (2486) - Justine Henin-Hardenne
09 2400 (2400) - Venus Williams
10 2359 (2359) - Jennifer Capriati
11 2299 (2299) - Vera Zvonareva
13 1971 (1971) - Alicia Molik
12 1906 (1906) - Nadia Petrova
14 1618 (1618) - Schnyder, Patty
15 1598 (1550) - Elena Bovina
16 1535 (1412) - Suarez, Paola
18 1413 (1349) - Karolina Sprem
17 1287 (1287) - Sugiyama, Ai
-- ---- ------ - -------------------------At the moment, none of the top 16 players, have indicated they AREN'T playing, unless I missed an announcement.

The case of highest interest generically is the #4 seed.

a) Where will Henin-Hardenne be seeded? Higher than #8, I think you can be sure. If Henin-Hardenne is seeded #4 of higher, the ostensible #4 seed, now #5, faces a potentially much harder QF.

If Henin-Hardenne is seeded #2, Mauresmo gets bumped into a harder semi.

The identity of the #4 seed is not writ in stone. Ai Sugiyama won Gold Coast last year for 182 points. Should Kuznetsova or Dementieva play that tournament and win it, they would likely overtake Sharapova for #4 seed. If Sharapova deon't play week #1.

Players #5-#8 are so strong though,it's not THAT great an improvement to face one of them rather that #1-#4.

Venus Williams is the potential benficiary of one of the top eight dropping out. But Zvonareva plays a lot. She actually might play Gold Coast, and with a win, would overtake Venus for seed #9.

Alicia Molik COULD be seeded higher than Nadia Petrova.

Karolina Sprem would likely be seed #16 if one of the top 16 drop our, since Sugiyama loses her points from Gold COast '04.

NOTE: Of course a lot will change between now and then

Chunchun
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:05 AM
OMG Lena u have the chance to be seeded higher :bounce:

Good Luck!

alwayshingis
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:08 AM
It's a tough issue for Justine, because she will not be the beneficiary of an injury rank due to playing the Olympics, she wasn't out continously for a long enough period

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:38 AM
so theres no chance of alicia being seeded any lower than 13?

Greenout
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:39 AM
It's too early for this talk. We don't know who will really be ready
to play at the AO 2005? We should not assume the entire top 16 will all
be there at Melbourne.

GoDominique
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Sydney points won't be off for seedings.

Lemonskin.
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Justine will have to be 100% on her game as she's seeded 8th, she'll meet quality players ooner than the higher seeded players. That coupled with the fact she's coming back off injury with little play under her belt, she's have to be sharp. But if she is sharp, she should have few problems.

Alicia Rocks
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM
alicia is playing hopman cup so should stay 13
but petrova made gold coast final and could lose a lot of points

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Its good that Daniela will finally be a seed in a Grand Slam again.. She will probably be #30 or 31 or higher if she does really well at Sydney cuz she doesnt have any points coming off... This means that she wont have to face any seeded players until the third round!!! A chance to go further and get more points.. Take this chance Daniela!!! Good luck!

croat123
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:41 PM
K-lina doesn't need any1 to drop out cause she's going to win the first event of the year next year to make up for the point difference :p

Spunky83
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Justine seeded 8th? Uhhhh...let the games begin! Greeny already mentioned it in another thread, there will be a lot of cool matches in the beginning of the second week :lick:

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I think Serena should be seeded higher than #7 because the last time she played the Open...SHE WON! If not...whatever, but I definately think that it will be hard for Serena and Jennifer to be in each others' quarterfinal draw...but you never know

Philip
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:01 PM
i didnt think the grandslams made exceptions to seedings unless they had a SR from injury? (apart from wimbledon ofcourse).

it makes it more interesting if the seedings follow the ranking list in my opinion! :p

Leo_DFP
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think Serena should be seeded higher than #7 because the last time she played the Open...SHE WON! If not...whatever, but I definately think that it will be hard for Serena and Jennifer to be in each others' quarterfinal draw...but you never know
:rolleyes:

It doesn't work like that. Henin-Hardenne and Serena should and will be seeded by their rankings as they haven't been out for a period of 6 or more months due to injury. And honestly, why would her victory there two years ago increase her seeding now? That was two years ago!!!

clonesheep
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Note that the 4 grand slam events are not subject to the seeding rules for other WTA tournaments. If organizers of AO wish, they can seed anyone they want as No. 1. Given the unusual situation that the top 2 ranked players have not done well recently at GS, lower ranked players could be moved up. For example, the top 6 seeds could be Sharapova, Davenport, Serena, Myskina, Henin and Mauresmo. No. 7 and 8 would be Sveta and Elena D with the order based on ranking.

I am almost sure Sharapova and Serena will be top 2 seeds at Wimbledon 2005, regardless of their ranking then.

clonesheep
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:54 AM
i didnt think the grandslams made exceptions to seedings unless they had a SR from injury? (apart from wimbledon ofcourse).

In fact, all 4 grand slams are independent of WTA tours and therefore not subject to the WTA ranking system for seeding. IIRC, Davenport was ranked 4th but seeded 5th a few times last year to make room for Serena, who was ranked lower. Davenport complained that she got a bad deal. But honestly, she hasn't reached a GS final for 4 years so the decision was justified.

sartrista7
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:02 AM
In fact, all 4 grand slams are independent of WTA tours and therefore not subject to the WTA ranking system for seeding. IIRC, Davenport was ranked 4th but seeded 5th a few times last year to make room for Serena, who was ranked lower. Davenport complained that she got a bad deal. But honestly, she hasn't reached a GS final for 4 years so the decision was justified.

Oh God, this comes up at every single bloody Slam.

Yes, the Slams are technically free to seed the top 32 players however they want. They could seed Elena Likhovtseva #1 and Lindsay Davenport #30 if they wanted. HOWEVER. They don't ever do this - unless they're Wimbledon, in which case they use a grass court formula to determine the men's seeding (very, very rarely do they tamper with the women's rankings; they haven't done it for a few years now, anyway). Really, this cannot be emphasised enough. In practice, the Slams do not deviate from the rankings to seed players. Any talk of Justine and Serena being bumped up is pure silliness.

The Davenport/Serena situation last year was entirely due to the fact that Serena was given a special seeding after being out for the allotted time span (6 months), and this was ahead of Davenport's rank during those tournaments. It applied to normal WTA events, and the Slams simply followed it. It's expired now, so is irrelevant to discussion of the AO seeds.

fammmmedspin
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Note that the 4 grand slam events are not subject to the seeding rules for other WTA tournaments. If organizers of AO wish, they can seed anyone they want as No. 1. Given the unusual situation that the top 2 ranked players have not done well recently at GS, lower ranked players could be moved up. For example, the top 6 seeds could be Sharapova, Davenport, Serena, Myskina, Henin and Mauresmo. No. 7 and 8 would be Sveta and Elena D with the order based on ranking.

I am almost sure Sharapova and Serena will be top 2 seeds at Wimbledon 2005, regardless of their ranking then.Its true they could but they don't and they don't break preceedent except for very good reasons and Serena and Maria don't have them. Serena hasn't played the AO for 2 years and Maria has no track record there either. Momo and Llindsay are both finalists there and one won so why would you move the nmber 4 and 7 players up. Wimbledon wouldn't seed just because of last years final either - especially when Lindsay, Momo, Justine, Kim and Sveta have street cred on grass too.

Babolatpro880
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah, well, Jelena Dokic got the same raw deal at the US Open 2002 where it was Davenport who bumped her from four to five. Jelena was ranked fourth and was seeded fifth because Davenport came back, so Lindsay really has nothing to complain about.

Andrew.
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Yeah, well, Jelena Dokic got the same raw deal at the US Open 2002 where it was Davenport who bumped her from four to five. Jelena was ranked fourth and was seeded fifth because Davenport came back, so Lindsay really has nothing to complain about. Lindsay bumped someone down once.

Lindsay was bumped down 4 times, in a row.

Bye.

Teemu
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Even though I want Davenport to win, I'll secretly cheer for Maria. I just feel like she deserves to win each and every tournament :).

maxomax
Dec 11th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Same thing for me! I want a final between Sharapova and Lindsay if Kim is not playing!

tennnisfannn
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Wow, the AO should be mouth watering. Hope everyone stays healthy. the 4th rd will be like this:
Serena vs Jen (that is fated)
Dementieva vs Molik
Justine vs Venus
Svetlana vs Vera
of the top 4 seeds, amelie will be wishing she doesn't draw serena and lindsay won't want Justine in her quarter.

anton
Dec 11th, 2004, 07:04 AM
BREAKING NEWS

The Top Five Seeds Have Just Been Released!

1-Venus Williams
2-Serena Williams
3-Lindsay Davenport
4-Maria Sharapova
5-Svetlana Kuznetsova

moby
Dec 11th, 2004, 07:21 AM
BREAKING NEWS

1-Venus Williams
2-Serena Williams
3-Lindsay Davenpork
4-Maria Sharapova
5-Svetlana Kuznetsova
really shows what you think about her, eh? :tape:

MinnyGophers
Dec 12th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Wow, the AO should be mouth watering. Hope everyone stays healthy. the 4th rd will be like this:
Serena vs Jen (that is fated)
Dementieva vs Molik
Justine vs Venus
Svetlana vs Vera
of the top 4 seeds, amelie will be wishing she doesn't draw serena and lindsay won't want Justine in her quarter.

lol i think every top players don't want to face off with each others ;) but you know, you don't have a choice. If you wanna win, you'll have to beat everyone eventually.

Andrew.
Dec 12th, 2004, 02:54 AM
BREAKING NEWS

1-Venus Williams
2-Serena Williams
3-Lindsay Davenpork
4-Maria Sharapova
5-Svetlana Kuznetsova Please credit LTMN forums. Thanks.