PDA

View Full Version : Which Aussies have two handed backhands?

PatM04
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I was thinking about it and other than Lleyton I can't think of an Aussie that has a 2 handed backhand. These are the ones that I know have one handers:
Molik
Pratt
McShea
Sewell
Baker (New Zeland)
Adamczak
Arthurs (ATP)
Phillipousus(sp?...ATP)
Draper(ATP)

I have never seen Jaslyn or Casey D. play so maybe they have 2 handers...?What about Todd Woodbridge? I can't remeber what he plays with. I think that Todd Reid may have a 2 hander but I could be wrong. Anways, the point is that most Aussies have one handers. I wonder why most coaches think that is the best thing for their players. There is nothing wrong with it but it is sort of interesting. I guess they feel about the one-hander like Americans do about the two hander.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Maybe Samantha Stosur does... but ive never seen her play

WorldWar24
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Evie Dominikovic has a 2 handed bh right? :confused:

Randy H
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Dominikovic, Stosur, and Watson all do

Gowza
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:00 AM
yeah i use to play with a one hander then i told my coach i was changing to a 2 hander and he didnt like it. i think its because with one handers u can stretch for balls more easily and also u get the feel with the one hand for volleys etc, when i changed over my volleys and slices got worse becuase i didnt have as good a feel anymore with a single hand.

and to confirm stosur does have a one hander and also evie dominikovic.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:12 AM
2 handed backhands:

1. Stosur
2. Dominikovic
3. Wheeler
4. Watson
5. McQuillian
6. Szilli
7. Dellacqua
8. Lukaszewicz

Men:

1. Reid
2. Luczak
3. Hewitt
4. Jones

S.Ferguson has a one handed backhand too.

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:24 AM
and to confirm stosur does have a one hander and also evie dominikovic.:confused: i think u mean two hander

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:26 AM
to add to the list bryanne stewart, rennae stubbs and monique adamczak all have one handed backhands

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:31 AM
i think most aussie coaches have a big sense of tradition, most of the aussie greats have had one handers and they want to pass that on. alot of aussie coaches also encourage serve volleying and getting into the net as much as possible.

pav
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Ian Roberts

Prizeidiot
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:50 AM
i think most aussie coaches have a big sense of tradition, most of the aussie greats have had one handers and they want to pass that on. alot of aussie coaches also encourage serve volleying and getting into the net as much as possible.

I could not agree more. Serve volleying is a big thing here. And yeah, not only does Olivia Lukaszewicz have a two handed backhand, she uses both hands for the forehand too.

PatM04
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys...I have seen Wheeler play but can't remember her backhand....lol...guess I'll take ur word for it!:)

SM
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:36 AM
dubravka cupac
natalie tanevska
lara picone i think
dragana jakovljevic
;)

davidmario
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
ex aussi: jelena dokic =)

Experimentee
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah the main thing is that a one hander is good for volleying and most Aussie coaches love their players to be serve volleyers, probably because Australia has a tradition of having good serve volley players.

Spunky83
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Yeah the main thing is that a one hander is good for volleying and most Aussie coaches love their players to be serve volleyers, probably because Australia has a tradition of having good serve volley players.

Doesn´t Australia also has a lot of grass courts? Maybe that´s another reason... :confused:

Fantastic
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Ian Roberts? He's a rugby player. Lol. And also my hero. :)

Annabel Ellwood had a one-handed backhand too.

Trudi Musgrave used to play with a one-handed backhand as a junior but was advised to switch to a two-handed backhand. The switch helped her win the 1994 Australian Open junior girl's singles a few years later, but did it hinder or help her career overall?

Fantastic
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Siobhan Drake-Brockman had a two-handed backhand, as do male players, Jaymon Crabb, James Sekulov and Mark Hlawaty (I'm quite sure he does).

Gowza
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:35 PM
:confused: i think u mean two hander
haha yeah i do mean two hander