Has been on UK Teletext and Ceefax

Her wrist injury wont heal in time.

Shame

Vut
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:03 AM
:sad:

Andy.
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:13 AM
That is a shame I hope her career will not be hampered forever like Mary's of even worse Hingus.

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:49 AM
good bye to Top-50, Kim :wavey:

sabandborg
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Get well soon, return with vengance --->go Kimmy!

Alfie
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM
In the article below, the AP reports that Tennis Australia has not spoken directly to Kim so they don't really know the status of her wrist. They only assumed that her wrist is the problem because she's not on the list. I think as Kim said she'll know the real status of her wrist when she sees her doctors in mid-December. Keeping my fingers crossed for her. Also if she finds her wrist is okay, she can still get a wildcard into the AO 2005.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6681965/

Clijsters not on list to play in Melbourne, says tournament director

Associated Press Sports
Updated: 11:29 p.m. ET Dec. 8, 2004

Australian Open officials are assuming that an injured left wrist will keep former world No. 1 Kim Clijsters from playing in the first Grand Slam of next year.

But they haven't spoken directly with the Belgian player, a tournament spokesman said Thursday.

Clijsters' name was not on the WTA entry list for the Jan. 17-30 tournament at Melbourne Park when it was released this week.

"We've made the assumption that because she's not on the list, that she was still under rehabilitation and wished her all the best,'' tournament spokesman John Lindsay said.

On Wednesday, tournament chief executive Paul McNamee was quoted in an Australian newspaper as saying that "Kim's wrist obviously isn't going to be rehabilitated in time for the first Grand Slam of the new season.''

Clijsters had surgery in July.

In the United States, the WTA said that because Clijsters has special status as a top player, she could decide to enter the tournament at any time using a wild card.

"The tour has not gotten any notification about whether Kim is going to play or not play,'' WTA spokesman Darrel Fry said.

Lindsay said that if Clijsters recovered in time, she would be highly considered for a wild card that would allow her to compete in Melbourne. Tournament officials still have four wild cards available.

Clijsters, in the "Diary'' section of her web site dated Dec. 2, said she was still undergoing physiotherapy on the wrist.

"My wrist is still a crucial part of my everyday life,'' Clijsters wrote. "Loads of physio and recovery exercises. In two weeks' time, I need to see the doctors again and only then will I find out about the real progress.

"For the time being, we won't set a date and we'll wait until everything is healed completely.''

Clijsters, the 2004 Australian Open runner-up, was limited to just 22 matches this season because of the bad wrist and fell to No. 22 in the most recent rankings. She's right-handed, but uses a two-fisted backhand.

McNamee said Jelena Dokic will skip the Australian Open. Dokic has not played in the event since 2001, when she lost in the first round after her father accused officials of fixing the draw. She renounced her Australian citizenship soon after.

Đ 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6681965/

Slumpsova
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:13 AM
she has no eager to play there as well i guess :sad:

10nisfanofruz
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:36 AM
It is sad that Kim won't be able to play AO. Thus,there will not be all Belgium final.
I hope that it will be Russian Vs France or all Russian final in AO next year. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

dylan24
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:38 AM
and she finally had the hewitt pictures removed from her website.
they were up there still pretty recently.

*Jool*
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I don't get why players who aren't sure to be ready don't commit before retiring rather than asking for a WC when other players could benefit it... :rolleyes:
Anyway, I don't like Clijsters a lot, but that said, I prefer her to wait until she's completely healthy before coming back .

tennislover
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM
no surprise.....

Spunky83
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Well found this article a few minutes ago...it says she hasnīt commited yet, which is why people think that she wonīt compete. Her spokespersons say itīs just a delay and they hope Kim can play.

Come on, Kimmy-Fans, donīt give up hope yet...whatīs better than not only having Justine back but also Kim? ;)

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/041209/2/7xuf.html

Clijsters hopes to play in Australian Open
Thu 09 Dec, 12:59 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters is still hopeful of making next month's Australian Open despite reports she would not be fit.

Tournament chief Paul McNamee said on Wednesday that last year's runner-up would not be at the year's first grand slam in Melbourne after her wrist failed to respond to treatment.

However, her spokesman said on Thursday she had simply delayed submitting her entry.

"She has just pushed back the deadline and can still compete in Australia, playing on a wildcard," a Clijsters family spokesman said.

"She could take off the bandage next week and begin her rehabilitation. The doctors are going to evaluate the injury on a week-by-week basis.

"If there's no risk, Kim will be able to play -- however, if there is the least risk, she will pull out," the spokesman said on Clijsters's website.

BROKEN ENGAGEMENT

Much had been made of Clijsters's supposed decision to give the Jan 17-30 tournament a miss.

Clijsters broke off her engagement with Australia's number one tennis player Lleyton Hewitt earlier this year.

The Melbourne tournament would have been the first event featuring the pair since the split, ensuring intense media scrutiny.

The Australian Open was the only grand slam Clijsters managed to play during 2004. She lost in the final to fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Her season was ruined by the wrist injury, restricting her to just 24 matches - 20 of which were wins.

..and a second one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4080335.stm

Clijsters could play Aussie Open

Kim Clijsters has denied reports that she has pulled out of January's Australian Open because of her persistent wrist injury.
Open chief Paul McNamee had said: "Kim's wrist obviously isn't going to be rehabilitated."

But her spokesman insisted she had simply delayed submitting her entry.

"The doctors are assessing her injury on a weekly basis and if there is no risk she could play. But if there's the least risk she will stay away."

Despite being absent from the WTA entry list for the tournament, which begins on 17 January, Clijsters would be certain to get a wild card if she requested one.

Clijsters is still ranked 22nd in the world despite only playing a handful of matches last season.

The Belgian had an operation on her left wrist early in the season but injured it again on her return to the tour.

Meanwhile, Jelena Dokic, who used to compete for Australia, has opted out of the first Grand Slam of the season.

Dokic has not played in the Australian Open since 2001 when she lost in the first round.

But the 21-year-old would have had to rely on a wild card next season because her ranking has tumbled to 127th.

Four-time champion Monica Seles, who has not played since last year's French Open, is another absentee because of an injured left foot.

kabuki
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I miss Kim. :sad:

DutchieGirl
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Darn! I hope she'll recover though.

turt
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Well found this article a few minutes ago...it says she hasnīt commited yet, which is why people think that she wonīt compete. Her spokespersons say itīs just a delay and they hope Kim can play.

Come on, Kimmy-Fans, donīt give up hope yet...whatīs better than not only having Justine back but also Kim? ;)

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/041209/2/7xuf.html

..and a second one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4080335.stmYeah, let's wait and see! I had already reported this news in this thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=143268) btw ;)