PDA

View Full Version : what's your favourite grandslam?

soos n the sis
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I love the U.S open, of course, being american. it's because hardcourt is my favourite surface and I think that the matches are much better in the US open than, maybe, the Aussie.

what's your thought

Pengwin
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Wimbledon and Roland Garros because you don't have to get up at 6AM to watch them.

englishjenfan
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Wimbledon and Roland Garros because you don't have to get up at 6AM to watch them.

Good point, i'm not good at getting up early, so i would choose Wimbledon :D

Caz
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Roland Garros and Wimbledon, cos they are the ones I've been to live and have watched most on TV, also RG is where my fave players do best and Wimbledon is 15 minutes by train from my house. ;)

I would say the Australian Open is my least favourite Grand Slam, cos although we have good TV coverage of it, it's at strange hours of the night/ morning here in the UK and I've usually been in the middle of an exam period at that time of the year, so I hardly ever get to see anything of it. The US Open I see slightly more of, but it's also a bad time of year for me to have time to watch tennis, not to mention the fact I hate the Sky Sports commentary team when I do get time to see it! ;)

GrantyBoy
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:54 PM
I think the French - I love the rallies on clay courts

Yam
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Wimbledon by a long way!

Pengwin
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Roland Garros and Wimbledon, cos they are the ones I've been to live and have watched most on TV, also RG is where my fave players do best and Wimbledon is 15 minutes by train from my house. ;)

I would say the Australian Open is my least favourite Grand Slam, cos although we have good TV coverage of it, it's at strange hours of the night/ morning here in the UK and I've usually been in the middle of an exam period at that time of the year, so I hardly ever get to see anything of it. The US Open I see slightly more of, but it's also a bad time of year for me to have time to watch tennis, not to mention the fact I hate the Sky Sports commentary team when I do get time to see it! ;)

This year BBC is only covering the final of AUS Open

Caz
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:01 PM
This year BBC is only covering the final of AUS Open
But British Eurosport usually has live and through the night coverage, as far as I remember.

Pengwin
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:03 PM
But British Eurosport usually has live and through the night coverage, as far as I remember.

Oh thats cool, I remember when they had highlights on BBC2 at prime time every day. Their tennis coverage gets worse and worse enery year :(

jogoss_78
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:03 PM
definitely wimbledon

Caz
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Oh thats cool, I remember when they had highlights on BBC2 at prime time every day. Their tennis coverage gets worse and worse enery year :(
Yeah, it's a shame. I remember a time when they used too have reasonable coverage of Roalnd Garros too. Oh well, at least they have fantastic interactive coverage Wimbledon still ... for the time being, anyway!

Lemonskin.
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Aussie Open! Love the carnival atmosphere!!! It's just such a fun, crazy event.

Plus if I wanna see the other Grand Slams I have to be up at:

French Open: 1am
Wimbledon: 11:30pm
US Open: 4am

Sandstorm
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Wimbledon!

*Jool*
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:42 PM
French Open

I think real tennis game is game on clay: there, you haven't the advantage of the serve, effects work , you have time to adjust... but I'm not really good in technique, so I'll stop here. It's more agreeable to watch tennis on clay IMO.

I love Wimbledon also

then, OZ and finally, US Open
But I like all 4 Slams.

tom2791
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Wimbledon and Roland Garros

Alvarillo
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Australian Open (i love australia and it's funny not to sleep to see tennis) and RG because i love game on clay courts !!!

MinnyGophers
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I'd say Roland Garro,s because it is the first one I grew up watching.
I love the red clay. You actually need to vary your shots instead of relying on raw power.

KV
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Both Wimbledon/US-Open

stenen
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
AO and RG

Doraemon
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Japan Open"

Andy.
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:11 PM
I love the Aussie open for its great atmosphere and friendly feel and best fasilities. But Wimbledon is a close second.

Gowza
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:03 AM
its different for the men and women for me, for men RG is my fav slam for women it is my least fav slam. wimbledon is prob my fav slam for women.

faboozadoo15
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM
us open. but i love them all.

SzavayFi
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Ohh, toughie, Wimbledon, good ours of coverage here in the US but the USO is right behind.

AlexB
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:32 AM
us open cause its the only one i go to...sit in the smaller courts/armstrong and watch tennis for 12 hours straight..cant beat that

AjdeNate!
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Roland Garros

JLDementieva
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:59 AM
I like Wimbledon the most, but my favs have always won in Roland Garros, so I'll say it's a tie between the 2.

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:18 AM
1. Wimbledon
2. Aussie Open
3. French Open
4. US Open

Chunchun
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
not really hav a fav.

i love the GS where lena perform well :)

bigshow21
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:17 AM
US Open for sure!!! Because I can actually go to that one! :)

switz
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM
probably the aus open. i go every year and i love it as a tournament plus my favourites usually perform well there (patty, chanda, babsi, dani, mary etc).

roland garros is the foreign slam i enjoy most

sabandborg
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:51 AM
BTW in tennis a grandslam -----> covers multiple slams, different areas, within a given calendar year.

My favorite is Wimbledon. Tradition has its place.

Kurama
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM
:drool: Aus Open

LostGlory
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:44 AM
No 1 RG
No 2 AO
No 3 Wimby
No 4 USOPEN

I have an affinity for the french and the Aussies.....

moby
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:54 AM
RG.

part of it has to do with the time
AO 7am-7pm (i'm at school)
RG 5pm-2am
Wimbledon 7pm-3am
USO 10pm-5am??? 7am-12pm (i need to sleep!)

also clay is my favourite surface for men's tennis.

Prizeidiot
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Australian Open because the time works so well for me, unlike any of the others. Also, the atmosphere is amazing, and the crowds (I can say this without bias) are very fair and will cheer for both players assuming they don't do something inappropriate. Wimbledon is second, because I love grass court tennis

lunarossa
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
1. Wimbledon
2. Roland Garros
3. US Open
4. Aus Open

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Wimbledon - due to time, tradition and coverage

sartrista7
Dec 9th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Wimbledon and RG. Wimbledon because I get to go every year, and I grew up in the area anyway. RG because the best tennis is played there. Those two are by far the most prestigious for me.

matthias
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Australian Open
because i love it to wake up in the morning and watching tennis
usually i go up at 5am, but when the Aus-Open are on TV i go up 4am to watch 1 more hour tennis
and i love it to see the nice weather when it is fucking cold in germany.
this is just great

cadiac
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Wimbledon 'coz Tammy always play her best here ( Of course I can watch her match more than other GS :o )

Experimentee
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM
AO because it has the best atmosphere, best crowd, is in the best time zone and I can attend it!
After that i like Wimbledon, then RG, then US Open.

tennislover
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Australian Open
because i love it to wake up in the morning and watching tennis
usually i go up at 5am, but when the Aus-Open are on TV i go up 4am to watch 1 more hour tennis
and i love it to see the nice weather when it is fucking cold in germany.
this is just great

nice point...... :)

tennislover
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM
W-i-m-b-l-e-d-o-n

Rohin.
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM
aussie because I can go to it..

Princess Fiona
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Wimbledon, after going there this year. :) I just couldn't believe I was there for a while - it was a little 'dream like'... :) I also love the BBC coverage/Interactive options...

kabuki
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: -Wimbledon- :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

améliemomo
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Roland garros is just "unique" :hearts: , the season is nice with some sunny days ;) and also some "bad days" with some rain but not like wimbledon or the 2003 US Open :rolleyes:

the second tournament is the Australian open, wimbledon and then US Open.

manu32
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:11 PM
us open

ghosts
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:21 PM
1. Roland Garros
2. Australian Open
3. Wimbledon & US Open

soos n the sis
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
you all make good points!

my second favourite is the Aussie... I feel butterflies thinking about it cause Jen won it twice, and I'm allways thinking this could be it, it can happen again. but I just love the US open. it used to be the crappy one but no longer!!

spindoctor
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Australian Open

drivevolley
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:18 PM
1) Roland Garros (cause it's the first slam I went to see live)
2) Wimbledon (cause of tradition and I went there this year and the atmosphere was GREAT. Also the coverage of it is amazing and I like the BBC commentators)
3) Aus Open
4) US Open

serenafan08
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Without a doubt - the US Open is my favorite Grand Slam. The US Open has so many memorable matches that it's hard to vote against it. Remember when Andre Agassi played Karol Kucera in '98? That was some of the most entertaining tennis I've ever seen! Who can forget the battles between Steffi and Monica in '95 and '96? Or the match between Pete Sampras and Alex Coretja (excuse my spelling)? Jennifer Capriati has been on the losing end of some of the best women's matches in US Open history, and her match with Serena this year was also a barnburner. Every year, there's great tennis in New York - it never disappoints. The US Open is the ultimate Slam!

gRaFiC
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:20 AM
1. RG - because of the 1992 final. Speak French.
2. Australian - weather is usually good. I live in melb so going there is no problem...
3. US - Chaotic, loud, crazy (and that's only jennifer! jk!!)
4. Wimbledon - i hate ONE rain delay let alone two, three, four, five in the space of an hour.

Sinnet
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:56 AM
I'm lucky enough to have been to every grand slam live atleast once (and I've been to the US Open four times)... the US Open is by far my favorite. The matches always seem to be more exciting, I don't know why. I'm DROOLING at the thought of some awesome grand slam finals in 05. All of the ones in 04 were boring and terrible.