PDA

View Full Version : Who, despite their success, do you still not take seriously?

skanky~skanketta
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM
well, there have been many players who have acheived great success on court but for me i still dont take myskina seriously. she has won a grand slam, she has beaten my fave players more than once during their good seasons, and she definitely has the goods, but somehow i always see the name myskina and go "oh, ok, whatever"". and she's the world #3! despite my constant underestimating of her, i cant seem to chhange my mind. maybe its her name.

previously, it used to be mary jo fernandez.

what about you guys?

Pengwin
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Dominique Monami :lol:

alex.2812
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:29 PM
kuznetsova

Fanny
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Myskina too. I don't know why but I don't consider her as a good player.

crazillo
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Myskina, too.

Also Virginia Ruano-Pascual. :lol:

davidmario
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Smashnova-Pistolesi

Doraemon
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Myskina, too.

Also Virginia Ruano-Pascual. :lol:

No one takes Vivi seriously in singles.

Doraemon
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Jelena Dokic hands down. All the top players she beat were in bad shape when she beat them. Her highest ranking is without a doubt inflated.

Ryan
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Jelena Dokic hands down. All the top players she beat were in bad shape when she beat them. Her highest ranking is without a doubt inflated.
I completely agree. I also have trouble taking Daniela Hantuchova seriously. She had one good tournament where she beat a hobbled Martina Hingis. Sicne then she's had decent results, worthy of a top 15 player, but not top 5 IMO.

Elldee
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Kuznetsova... a flukey slam winner than doesn't leave enough margin for error if she's having an off day.

Similarly, Dementieva, scraping through 7-6 in the third is better than being knocked out, but I don't know how consistently she can do that.

!<blocparty>!
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Myskina, just because when the other top players are on like Lindsay or Serena, she can just get over-powered :)

(6-1,6-1 to Lindsay in the summer)

soos n the sis
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
that's a good question.

Kuznetsova- I also don't like. maybe that's why
Dementieva
Myskina-for some reason I don't know
Dokic
Sugyiama

Doraemon
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Myskina, just because when the other top players are on like Lindsay or Serena, she can just get over-powered :)

But she has won their last two meetings.. I would rather say she knows a way or two to cope with power. I don't know in either of the two wins, Lindsay was injured or out of sort.

MinnyGophers
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I'd say most of the russians. Don't get me wrong, they are great players.... i just feel like they were more lucky than anything...

Ryan
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM

That match is a ridiculous example. Myskina was exhausted after her match with Vera in the semis, and she beat Lindsay TWICE after that.

fammmmedspin
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:31 PM

I have no problem with Myskina being number 3. at her best she is smarter, faster and has more shots and determination than the 2 people ranked above her and everyone ranked below her possibly excluding players called Justine or Kim. She just doesn't play at her best that often. Being beaten by Lindsay on Californian hardcourts is a fate that falls to everyone else so you can see why Myskina wouldn't bother - its far more significant that Lindsay has lost her last two matches to Myskina when she isn't on her home courts. Same with Kuznetsova - at her best she is a credible number 1 - at her worst top 20. In both cases you can see why they have their rankings.

I have far more problem with some of the people who made it to number 1. Lindsay has the most limited game of any number 1 I recall - except she does it very well when she doesn't collapse mentally; Momo who you really do look at her rankings points to see where on earth they came from as there are few memorable highs there and a multitude of might have beens that never happened. Even the Williams sisters manage to combine some magnificently high quality performances with such awful ones and such high UE counts that you wonder where Richard bought his coaching manual. Then there is Jen who somehow manages to beat Serena in GS but otherwise seems to be unable to do really well anywhere else......

!<blocparty>!
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Lindsay was sick when she played nastya in moscow :rolleyes: She had breathing problems.

And she played badly in the YEC, on slow courts.

I said "when the other top players are on"

Yes, that is when they are playing very well, at/near their best.

Spunky83
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I guess no one is perfect...

blumaroo
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM
MYSKINA

I can't seem to like her. It always seems that her opponent loses the match instead of her winning it. I always watch Myskina's matches to find something in her game that I can appreciate but I just can't.

Capriati

havent seen a lot of her matches but to me she doesn't have any weapons. SHe just runs and runs and plays safe rally's. I can't believe she used to be a nr. 1 player. I rate her better Myskina but still..I haven't seen her in her prime though so that may be the main reason.

Doraemon
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:53 PM
MYSKINA

I can't seem to like her. It always seems that her opponent loses the match instead of her winning it. I always watch Myskina's matches to find something in her game that I can appreciate but I just can't.

Capriati

havent seen a lot of her matches but to me she doesn't have any weapons. SHe just runs and runs and plays safe rally's. I can't believe she used to be a nr. 1 player. I rate her better Myskina but still..I haven't seen her in her prime though so that may be the main reason.

Capriati just doesn't have the confidence to go for the lines. She has an amazing inside out forehand and her running forehand is a thing of beauty. But even when she was no.1, she tended to play safe rather going for the shots too much but back then she had a lot more confidence in her game, so she managed to pull through tight matches that she would lose nowadays. She could have won two GSs this years if she had had faith in herself but she just didn't play aggressive enough to capitalize on those opportunities.. what a waste!

*Jool*
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Hantuchova
Kournikova
Vera , coz she played 2x more tournaments than other players-good strategy but I don't take her too seriously

Sharapova has proved me she has something winning the YEC but I seriously wasn't taking her seriously before.

Mana
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Kuznetsova

Elldee
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Lindsay was ill in Moscow and the court was slow, similarly the YEC was on a slow court. But on the flip side, their previous meetings had been on the surface that suits Lindsay so it balances out... if they met on clay Ana would have won. I take Myskina seriously though especially after her positive end to the season.

englishjenfan
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Definately Myskina and Svetlana they were kinda lucky ;)

Grohl
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:46 PM
justine, don't ask why

Bitter Blue Bong
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I'd have to say Myskina too.

Martian Willow
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:57 PM
If you don't understand Myskina you don't understand tennis. :)

pav
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:04 PM
In one way I don't take them seriously, because They are a great source of interest and entertainment, but anyone good enough to be in the top 50 I take very seriously because I admire the level of skill, hard work and dedication They have shown(and Their good looks,well most of Them anyway)
while I sit here on My lazy arse whinging about a few broken ribs

DevilishAttitude
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Hantuchova - won only 1 tournament ever and has rarely had big wins since. Way too inconsisent too ever be a deserving top 5 player and is not good enough to win a slam :(

Eastbourne was defintely a fluke

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Conchita Martinez. Even in her top ten days a few years ago, I could never figure out how she would rack up 6-2 6-1 wins in tournaments.

Pengwin
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
The reason Myskina is successful is because not only does she have consistant groundstrokes and a strong head and gameplan, but she has a fair amount of her own firepower and can play a very varied game to outplay her opponent.

shap_half
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Sharapova

Josh810
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Myskina too. I don't know why but I don't consider her as a good player.
wtf, you don't even think she's at least good? :lol:

jfk
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Of the top 10, only Kuznetsova really. Her game isn't anything special...mostly a lesser version of Kim Clijsters. She did less to get her US Open win than any GS winner in recent years...almost every player she beat in the later rounds was injured/exhausted from having taken out a top player in the round or two before.

Myskina is deserving of her rank. She is an extremely intelligent player and knows how to pick apart other players' games. That's how she compensates for her lack of firepower and shotmaking.

Experimentee
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Myskina
Dementieva
Dokic
Mauresmo (she was #1 but its not I'm scared when any of my faves face her, or feel like she was dominating like #1 always does)

tennislover
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Myskina

Dementieva is off topic b/ she didn' have success

kabuki
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I have far more problem with some of the people who made it to number 1. Lindsay has the most limited game of any number 1 I recall - except she does it very well when she doesn't collapse mentally

:confused:

Limited? L can serve, volley, nail groundies, smash overheads. Limited?

Do you mean one dimensional, inhibited, what? The fact that she doesn't hit with much spin?

:confused:

Helen Lawson
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Basically, anyone who's won a Best Actress Oscar like in the last 5-7 years or so. Can you blame me?

tennislover
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Basically, anyone who's won a Best Actress Oscar like in the last 5-7 years or so. Can you blame me?

:lol: you are totally right!!! :lol:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Myskina and to a lesser extent Kuznetsova and Dementieva

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Hantuchova....I don´t know why her fans keep acting like the girl is top 5, even no.1, potential. The girl´s had ONE really really big tournament: IW´02....after that only the odd SF´s or a F there....as people have gotten used to her patterns and learned her weaknesses, she´s been really exposed as just a top 20/30 player at best who can beat most players below her but rarely, if ever, threatens the top guns.

Speaking of that....despite her big season this year, Maria´s Hantuchova written all over her....

goldenlox
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Speaking of that....despite her big season this year, Maria´s Hantuchova written all over her....Lansdorp has said all year that he expected Maria to reach the top 15 in 2004.
And to eventually reach #1.
She has more ability than Hantuchova.

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Lansdorp has said all year that he expected Maria to reach the top 15 in 2004.
And to eventually reach #1.
She has more ability than Hantuchova.

Uhum....but they potentially the same weaknesses: footwork/movement and if people go back and watch their tapes, they´ll learn exactly what those are and how to exploit them.

goldenlox
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I don't know what's going to happen, but Lansdorp is convinced that Maria will still improve a lot.
He's very confident Maria will be world #1.

wateva
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:21 PM
amelie mauresmo wins hands down. she thinks by winning a couple of tier 2 titles at the end of the season makes her the best player... :rolleyes: and to people who say myskina would lose to players who are "on": maybe but what is the possibilty of two players playing their best in their match nowadays? how do u define "on"? making crazy winners everywhere? maybe for lindsay and serena but that's not myskina's game. her "on" game is running around retrieving every shot and go for an occasional winner. it's not spectacular tennis but u have to respect her for being patient and drawing errors from her opponents. every player has their different style and should be taken seriously. unless they start getting big headed like amelie "the player to beat: mauresmo. :rolleyes:

brunof
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
It's tough for me to take Amelie seriously. I have cheered her on in so many matches, so many close matches, and they all end the same -- a bitter disapointment.

Jenn Capriati has also become increasingly defensive in her playing style, and it's tough to to watch. When Jenn is fit, she knows she can win...it's just a matter for finding her confidence again.

bandabou
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I don't know what's going to happen, but Lansdorp is convinced that Maria will still improve a lot.
He's very confident Maria will be world #1.

I don´t know either.....we´ll see.

JLDementieva
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Hantuchova....I don´t know why her fans keep acting like the girl is top 5, even no.1, potential. The girl´s had ONE really really big tournament: IW´02....after that only the odd SF´s or a F there....as people have gotten used to her patterns and learned her weaknesses, she´s been really exposed as just a top 20/30 player at best who can beat most players below her but rarely, if ever, threatens the top guns.

Speaking of that....despite her big season this year, Maria´s Hantuchova written all over her....
I'm Daniela's fan, and I don't think she is top 5 material anymore. She is vulnerable on court, and just about anyone is capable of beating her now. If she doesn't make any changes, there's no way she can go back to the way she was.

butch
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM
myskina
dementieva

butch
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:56 PM
hantuchova
dokic

drivevolley
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Myskina

manu32