PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters out for Australian Open ?

Sharapower
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:38 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11631413-23209,00.html

Now I can't open that bloody link !!!

Chunchun
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Kim :sad:

manu
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Haven't seen this news confirmed by sites like Yahoo, but this seems a reliable source I'm afraid... Pfff this really sucks! Come back Kim we miss you:) But I guess it's the right thing the do... Get better soon girl!:)

alex.2812
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Brαm
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I'm not really surprised by this news - it would've been a miracle if Kim's wrist had been completely healed by the Australian Open.
I haven't found a Belgian source yet btw :shrug:

jenny161185
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:16 PM
i thought she said in an interview she almost definately wouldnt play oz so its not that much of a surprise I dont mind waiting once shes back healthy - Antwerp 05 I hope!

Linnie
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM
It's here, too:
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=11873&bannerregion=

Better to be safe than sorry. Hope to see her back as soon as possible! :)

rated_next
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
:bigcry:

Pureracket
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Will she be able to get an Injury Protected Ranking?

pan
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM
:sad: oh no.

miranda_lou
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I read it this morning on tennisweek.com, so it must be true.:sad:

Mercredi
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM
2005 season have not started yet and it is already a boring one ;(.

améliemomo
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:02 PM
its a pity that kim would not participate in this GS which is one of my favorite with roland garros :sad:

Kim is so kind,she doesnt deserve that :tape:

Allez Kim!!!courage!!!!!!!! :wavey:

jrm
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Kind of suspected that

Andrew.
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Will she be able to get an Injury Protected Ranking? Not until after Miami would she be able to receive a SSR.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
:eek: She's not rushing back for the 1st time in like ever :eek:

;)

JonBcn
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:50 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4080335.stm

Kim Clijsters will not compete in next January's Australian Open because of her persistent wrist injury.

Last year's runner-up in Melbourne has decided to spend more time resting instead of rushing back her return.

"Kim's wrist obviously isn't going to be rehabilitated," Open chief Paul McNamee told The Australian newspaper. "We wish her all the best."

Jelena Dokic, who used to compete for Australia, has also opted out of the first Grand Slam of the season.

Dokic has not played in the Australian Open since 2001 when she lost in the first round.

But the 21-year-old would have had to rely on a wildcard next season because her ranking has tumbled to 127th.

Clijsters is still ranked 22nd in the world despite only playing a handful of matches last season.

The Belgian had an operation on her left wrist early in the season but injured it again on her return to the tour. Meanwhile, the rest of the sport's top players are expected to turn out at Melbourne Park for the Open which starts on 17th January.

Grohl
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM
last I heard, her coach said everything is still possible for the AO

Princess Fiona
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear (or, 'see' in this case *doooh* ;) ) this news...

Looking forward to seeing Kim back healthy and happy and ready to go... :) Good luck, Kim!!

VickyPollard
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Tom2791 is gonna get beet ens for that bad rep :fiery:

Lemonskin.
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:23 PM
It was always gonna happen.

Her fans should be happy that she's not risking injuring it so badly that she might have to retire.

ßcoene
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:25 PM
As long as she is 100% healed when she comes back I'm happy. I don't won't her to be injured again.

ans
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Strange, I can't find anything in Belgian press about this. Her coach said they had to wait for two weeks 'cause then she had to go to the doctor again.

Are those two weeks already over?

Alfie
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Strange, I can't find anything in Belgian press about this. Her coach said they had to wait for two weeks 'cause then she had to go to the doctor again.

Are those two weeks already over?

Well here are two UK articles confirming Kim's absence from the list of Australian Open entries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4080335.stm

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=tennis/04/12/08/TENNIS_Clijsters.html

The following link has quotes from Kim's coach. Doesn't this say that the AO is out of the question? I don't know--don't know Dutch.
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/tennis/hoofdpunten/041203_clijsters_australian_open/index.html

ans
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Well here are two UK articles confirming Kim's absence from the list of Australian Open entries.

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=tennis/04/12/08/TENNIS_Clijsters.html
I believe you guys:D but as long as it isn't confirmed here in Belgium, I think it's strange.

Bezz
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM
This is not fair, poor kim, get well soon :)

fifiricci
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Oh well, bang goes Kim's Qantas Frequent Flyer Club Membership :tape:

Never mind, she's better off in Europe getting well healed in the bracing winter air.

Roll on Antwerp!

Fedcup
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I believe you guys:D but as long as it isn't confirmed here in Belgium, I think it's strange.
It's confirmed in Belgium
Look at TT on TV1.

icequeen
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:31 PM
I think Kim does not want to go because she's still hurting from the breakup and it will bring back to many memories.

darrinbaker00
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:37 PM
I think Kim does not want to go because she's still hurting from the breakup and it will bring back to many memories.
Not to mention the fact that she would get unmercifully booed.....

fifiricci
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Don't be stupid you plonker! It's because she doesnt want to be stalked by Lleyton Blewitt in his sleek new boy toy asking for the ring back every 2 minutes! :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Don't be stupid you plonker! It's because she doesnt want to be stalked by Lleyton Blewitt in his sleek new boy toy asking for the ring back every 2 minutes! :rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

darrinbaker00
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Don't be stupid you plonker! It's because she doesnt want to be stalked by Lleyton Blewitt in his sleek new boy toy asking for the ring back every 2 minutes! :rolleyes:
That's MISTER Plonker, thank you very much! ;)

beauty_is_pink
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM
:( no! this sucks :mad:

Denise4925
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:52 PM
It was always gonna happen.

Her fans should be happy that she's not risking injuring it so badly that she might have to retire.
We know why you're glad Lemon. That's one less top ten player Maria has to face, if she plays anything above a Tier III next season. :p :devil:

icequeen
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM

No, I do not think she will get booed. It will be really too soon to go back there since the break up. Not only that I do believe she is probably hurting really bad, after all Hewitt was her first love. Even though I think 15-16 was to young to have a serious relationship.

Volcana
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:08 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11631413-23209,00.html

Now I can't open that bloody link !!!
Clijsters to stay home
By Leo Schlink
December 9, 2004

THERE will be no awkward Kim Clijsters moments for Lleyton Hewitt at next month's centenary Australian Open after the Belgian former world No. 1 opted not to enter the tournament.

Clijsters' season has been devastated by a chronic wrist injury and, after consultation with doctors and physiotherapists, she joined former Australian Jelena Dokic in bypassing the January 17-30 championship.

Clijsters and Hewitt called off their engagement in October. The high-profile pair would have contested events in Sydney and Melbourne had Clijsters been fit.

But Open chief executive Paul McNamee, delighted at the quality of both the men's and women's fields, had suspected Clijsters and Dokic might be unavailable.

"Kim's wrist obviously isn't going to be rehabilitated in time for the the first grand slam of the new season," McNamee said.

"We wish her all the best at what must be a difficult time and hope to see her fit and back playing on the tour again in 2005."

Dokic has not played the Australian Open since 2001, when she lost in the first round after her father, Damir, accused officials of rigging the draw. She renounced her Australian citizenship soon after.

In any event, Dokic would have required a wildcard to contest the 2005 championships because her ranking has crumbled from 15th at the end of last season to 127th.

Apart from Brazil's triple French Open winner Gustavo Kuerten (hip operation), most leading players will travel to Melbourne Park.

The impressive depth of the field, however, carries worrying connotations for Australian tennis -- and leaves Mark Philippoussis the ninth player in line outside direct entry to the main draw.

The men's cut-off is 102. Philippoussis is ranked 109th, but he has already been guaranteed a wildcard.

However, Open officials would prefer to have Philippoussis contesting the event on his own merits and use the card elsewhere.

Three Australian women are direct entrants - No. 13 Alicia Molik, Sam Stosur and Nicole Pratt - while rejuvenated Evie Dominikovic has won a wildcard for strong performances on the Uncle Toby's Futures circuit.

Three Australian men earned entry on their rankings, led by world No. 3 Lleyton Hewitt, Draper and Wayne Arthurs, who is the last direct entrant at this stage at 102nd.

Defending champions Justine Henin-Hardenne and Roger Federer have entered along with fellow grand slam stars Maria Sharapova, Anastasia Myskina, Svetlana Kuznetsova, four-time winner Andre Agassi, Marat Safin and Andy Roddick.

Clijsters hinted on Monday she would not venture to Australia this summer.

"My wrist still calls for a lot of attention and care, and I can use my time to spend it well,"' Clijsters said.

"My wrist still is a crucial part of my everyday life - loads of physio and recovery exercises." Clijsters was able to contest only one major this year - the Australian Open, where she reached the final. Her season has been ruined by the wrist injury, restricting her to just 22 matches - 20 of which were wins.

The Daily Telegraph

Denise4925
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM
[size=4]
Defending champions Justine Henin-Hardenne and Roger Federer have entered along with fellow grand slam stars Maria Sharapova, Anastasia Myskina, Svetlana Kuznetsova, four-time winner Andre Agassi, Marat Safin and Andy Roddick.

[b]The Daily Telegraph
Why didn't they mention former 2003 champion Serena Williams entering?

Alfie
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:56 PM
No, I do not think she will get booed. It will be really too soon to go back there since the break up. Not only that I do believe she is probably hurting really bad, after all Hewitt was her first love. Even though I think 15-16 was to young to have a serious relationship.

I agree it must be a truly painful life experience that will be in the back of her mind for a long time on a daily basis. I mean, she was talking about quitting tennis in a few years to have his babies! :o I could just imagine little Lleykis doing splits and shrieking "Come On!" :lol: I was hoping to see Jaden Gil and Jaz Graf-Agassi duke it out on a tennis court with little Clijsters-Hewitts. Wishful thinking. I think the majority of Aussies wouldn't boo her off the court, but there will be no more chants of "Aussie Kim." It'll just be the Belgian, Kim Clijsters.

Grohl
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:23 PM

The following link has quotes from Kim's coach. Doesn't this say that the AO is out of the question? I don't know--don't know Dutch.
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/tennis/hoofdpunten/041203_clijsters_australian_open/index.html
never trust anything untill kim said so! the press think they know, but do they??? NO